• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

scy

Im a little confused about soemthing:

My level up bar was 90% full so I figured I would level up by getting Destruction magic up from a trainer...after I trained about 5 levels in destruction magic (I dont use magic since Im a warrior) my level up bar was still at ~90%...so I reloaded just before the training and went got 1 skill point by shooting stuff with my Bow to get the archery skill up and after it went up one point I leveled up.

I dont understand why training in destruction magic did not level me up since I only had like one more point to go before leveling?

When you level up a skill, you get EXP equivalent to the new skill level (i.e., Archery 50 to 51 gives you 51 EXP). Each level requires (CurrentLevel + 3) * 25 EXP before you gain a level.

So, basically, 5 skill ups of Destruction, presumably getting to 16 -> 20, was worth less than the Archery. That said, 5 skill ups even at 16-20 is still a lot (+89 EXP?) so unless you had 90+ Archery...

newsguy

I fought
[Krosis
early on and couldn't hang. 36 hours in I came back ... with backup, and it still took me 30 minutes and 10 deaths to kill that fucker. Oh did it feel good. I put on that mask and rubbed one out in the name of the dragonborn.

AEREC

I love the top comment.

"I was a singer once to, until I took a guitar to the knee... "

I must have listened to this five times now. So beautiful.

I notice that quote on a bunch of other Skyrim videos too...probably a new meme incoming.

It is funny though that Ive heard about 10 different guards say that line.

Well, as strong as the lore's foundations are, the dialogue and in-game story lines have a tendency towards the petty and the mundane. So I can see how it might not draw you in.

Once I started reading the books, I just couldn't stop. None of it's necessary to your enjoyment of the game, so don't worry about it too much.

There's really no need to speculate about this. Hjalti Early-Beard aka Talos Stormcrown aka Tiber Septim was an incarnation of Talos. Or at least part of one: Zurin Arctus and Ysmir Wulfarth were also incarnations of Talos.

Talos is the Missing God, counterpart and mirror to the Dragon God. He is Shezzar who is Shor who is Lorkhan. In an event that echoed the mythic Betrayal/Sacrifice from which Akatosh and Lorkhan created the world, man and the god became one. It took a lot of doing and there were many failed attempts - Wulfarth was left over from one such, and Pelinal Whitesnake is another example.

This, by the way, is the entire reason for the Thalmor to ban Talos worship. The Altmer have hated Lorkhan since the beginning of linear time. All the shit about it not being proper to worship a mortal is just a cover--the Thalmor know damn well that Talos is real, and they detest him.

Huh, I hadn't heard the "Talos is Lorkhhan"-theory yet. I know there were plenty of Shezzarines in the past (like Pelinal Whitestrake) but I hadn't stopped to figure that maybe Talos was one, too.

It's certainly a possibility.

Woorloog

Banned
Huh, I hadn't heard the "Talos is Lorkhhan"-theory yet. I know there were plenty of Shezzarines in the past (like Pelinal Whitestrake) but I hadn't stopped to figure that maybe Talos was one, too.

It's certainly a possibility.

And someone is probably facepalming at the moment at some people thinking about a video game lore.

Didn't Lorkhan, uh, die? His heart was in Red Mountain, his body is two moons. Supposedly.

Volimar

oh neat, so THIS is what it sounds like when someone that can actually sing performs the song.

Seriously, those voice actors are horrible in the game.

I wonder if people can mod out the in game bards and mod a persona of this woman in to sing this...

So I know the bugs the new patch causes on consoles - 'resistances no longer work'

but what things does it fix?

I figure I should way the pros and cons and see if the patch is worth it.

Volimar

So I know the bugs the new patch causes on consoles - 'resistances no longer work'

but what things does it fix?

I figure I should way the pros and cons and see if the patch is worth it.

From their forums:

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

Cynar

Im a little confused about soemthing:

My level up bar was 90% full so I figured I would level up by getting Destruction magic up from a trainer...after I trained about 5 levels in destruction magic (I dont use magic since Im a warrior) my level up bar was still at ~90%...so I reloaded just before the training and went got 1 skill point by shooting stuff with my Bow to get the archery skill up and after it went up one point I leveled up.

I dont understand why training in destruction magic did not level me up since I only had like one more point to go before leveling?

Leveling up lower skills at higher levels don't have as much weight as a higher skill

Got a question. I went up the left side of the Blacksmithing tree to get Glass and Dragon armor. However, now I want a Daedric bow. Can I just jump over from Dragon to get Daedric, or do I have to level up the right side? Can't test this as I'm not at home.`

Wallach

Got a question. I went up the left side of the Blacksmithing tree to get Glass and Dragon armor. However, now I want a Daedric bow. Can I just jump over from Dragon to get Daedric, or do I have to level up the right side? Can't test this as I'm not at home.`

No, the tree doesn't loop. You'd have to go up the entire right path of the tree to get to Daedric.

HTuran

This game.

The left side of the tree is pointless, as you can get the best Light Armour and weapons through the right side anyway.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
returned to playing this

What a wonderful game. And combat with a mage is so fun (especially with Wabbajack, lol).

I like that you can pull camera so far away. Reminds me of Dragon Age.

screenshot14csdxk.png

Woorloog

Banned
This game.

The left side of the tree is pointless, as you can get the best Light Armour and weapons through the right side anyway.

Glass Armor and Weapons are just so damn sexy. Just had to get them. Elven Weapons are superior to Dwarven ones BTW, but both perks require the same amount of skill. Only the materials are harder to get, and not by much if you're willing to travel to different merchants.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll gladly take better mouse sensitivity on PC if it means i have a resistance bug, especially considering i have no magic resistance on my armor. How many times did i try to click a dialogue choice and the mouse decided to select something? Too many times.

Still hope that the next patch wont bring more issues and just fix things.

HELP! I'm in the
Alftand Ruined Tower
and I cannot get anywhere. Did anyone have trouble with this when you did it? Please somebody help me through it. It's the hardest dungeon I've been to. thanks in advance.

Sec0nd

'Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead'

Now that sounds insanely creepy and funny.

I was just doing this thieves guild quest playing super stealthy so Skyrim obviously decided to send a dragon my way. It was insane.

GhaleonEB

It really is satisfying to craft a new weapon. I've used the same (crafted) dagger for throat slitting for about 15 levels now, and just crafted a new superior ebony blade, with 16 points fire damage, that is a big step up from my last. Between it and the new bow, my gear just got a good kick in the pants.

3rd Daedric quest down, pushing the war forward a bit today. An exchange of axes is taking place.

'Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead'

I read that and thought, what happened to leaving hilarious bugs in? :lol

Found an amulet of Mara. Gonna find me a bride.

Anyone having issues with freezes during loading screens? They seem to be happening to me much more frequently now after the patch, I had 2 in the last 30 minutes of play.

krioto

Well, my character is pretty much fucked now - all magic resistance is pretty much non-existent, and when you're not wearing anything but a robe, that kind of screws it up.

Any acknowledgement yet of the issue, or fix in the works? It's unplayable for me now, and I love(d) this game.

I was just doing this thieves guild quest playing super stealthy so Skyrim obviously decided to send a dragon my way. It was insane.

Happened to me. Lydia showed up dead and that got my wife all pissed at me and everyone else in the temple. They told me to leave and she called the wedding off.

Astra

I love how guards make comments about your character, depending on your levels in certain skills, and what quests you've completed. A guard made a comment about my Dragon Scale Armor. "Is your armor made of... Dragon Scales?! What I wouldn't give for a set of that."
I've had the armor for a long time, and it's only now I get complimented on it.

From their forums:

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

I will say it again, Bitch Dragons. This Bitch Dragon Patch would be perfect if it didn't, you know, destroy resistance. I have run into so many Bitch Dragons it is ridiculous. I mean, I know I am awesome but having to waste like 10 minutes and 50 arrows trying to get it's attention is a bit annoying.

Freakin' Bitch Dragons...

ShinNL

HELP! I'm in the
Alftand Ruined Tower
and I cannot get anywhere. Did anyone have trouble with this when you did it? Please somebody help me through it. It's the hardest dungeon I've been to. thanks in advance.
You really should just stop using the spoiler tag. Whether it contains a spoiler or not, you're using it wrong in all cases. No, Alftand Ruined Tower is not a spoiler. It's actually the information you need if you want to hide spoilers.

Well, my character is pretty much fucked now - all magic resistance is pretty much non-existent, and when you're not wearing anything but a robe, that kind of screws it up.

Any acknowledgement yet of the issue, or fix in the works? It's unplayable for me now, and I love(d) this game.
I'm definitely not venturing the world now and will stop playing if I have nothing to do in towns as long as they leave this bug in. I didn't grind 2-handed, illusion, restoration, destruction, light armor (all non-perks, not my build!) just to get slaughtered by novice mages.

I love how guards make comments about your character, depending on your levels in certain skills, and what quests you've completed. A guard made a comment about my Dragon Scale Armor. "Is your armor made of... Dragon Scales?! What I wouldn't give for a set of that."
I've had the armor for a long time, and it's only now I get complimented on it.
I'm walking around the city, decked out in full Dragonplate, Spell Breaker and a Daedric sword. My heavy armor, one-handed and block skills are at 100. The rest is significantly lower. Here's a selection of what the guards have to say to me.

"Favor the bow, eh? I'm a sword man, myself."
"Destruction magic's fine, just don't go burning any buildings."
"Keep your hands to yourself, sneak thief!"
"The gods gave you two hands, and you use them both for your weapon, I can respect that."

Are these guards fucking dense? Don't they know who I am?

I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

ShinNL

I'm walking around the city, decked out in full Dragonplate, Spell Breaker and a Daedric sword. My heavy armor, one-handed and block skills are at 100. The rest is significantly lower. Here's a selection of what the guards have to say to me.

"Favor the bow, eh? I'm a sword man, myself."
"Destruction magic's fine, just don't go burning any buildings."
"Keep your hands to yourself, sneak thief!"
"The gods gave you two hands, and you use them both for your weapon, I can respect that."

Are these guards fucking dense? Don't they know who I am?

I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.
This is funny, because they never said that to me during the 60 hours I went dual wielding, but once I started wielding a 2-handed sword (for fun/training) they start appreciating it. Do they not know how fearsome my skill is in dual wielding :mad:?

You really should just stop using the spoiler tag. Whether it contains a spoiler or not, you're using it wrong in all cases. No, Alftand Ruined Tower is not a spoiler. It's actually the information you need if you want to hide spoilers.

Sorry I didn't understand that. Though I'll try what you suggested. Still, I need some help here.

So what kind of damage do people do with their weapon specialties?

With an ebony bow and ebony arrows I'm doing 105 damage in addition to 25 of frost and half as much shock. That is usually tripled as I'm generally always hidden.

My one-armed skill is only 54 and daggers only do 16, but when sneaking with the right armor
dark brotherhood gloves
I can do a massive 480 point backstab.

Kyoufu

Glass Armor and Weapons are just so damn sexy. Just had to get them. Elven Weapons are superior to Dwarven ones BTW, but both perks require the same amount of skill. Only the materials are harder to get, and not by much if you're willing to travel to different merchants.

Why would anyone go left in that tree? Not worth the time to craft or use.

Otheradam

Did they take down the patch? I just got a new 360 slim and popped in the disc and the update was only 3mb. I am assuming this is the day one patch and not 1.2?

Top Bottom