• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I get to have my shouts go from level 1 to level 3 aside from the first push one
2. how do I go from one hand destruction to dual?
3. How do I create a dragon armor from dragon bones and scales
4. how do i learn more destruction/invisibility etc spells

1. How do I get to have my shouts go from level 1 to level 3 aside from the first push one

1. You need to find second and third Word Wall. Then you need to spend Dragon Soul to unlock each word.

2. You bind the same spell to left and right hand, same with sword and shield. If you get Destruction Dual Casting the effect will be better than 2x.

3. You need 100 Smithing and get a perk which allows you to smith dragon armor and weapons.

4. Level up Destruction/Conjuration/etc. and check in trainers every 25 points.

Btw, I recommend you do Civil War quests after finishing the MQ. Reason (might be a spoiler for some):

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001710835/screenshot/650998799240314446

It's weird how you can still complete thieves missions even though you didn't do what the NPC or quest description told you.

I ended up killing one person in the Golden Glow but no repercussions..But I could have sworn the leader said no blood on the blade? And I also got seen by Gulum-Ei when it said I was supposed to shadow him but the mission didn't fail.

MrBig

1. Each wall has a different word, but the word may be part of the set of 3 for each shout. There are some special walls that contain all 3 words in one.
2. Press either trigger/mouse button to assign it. Defaults are Right trigger, right hand, Left trigger left hand. Opposite is true for a mouse. For combined effects there is a required perk to unlock.
3. Smithing level 100 with the perk tree maxed out on either side.
4. You can buy spells from the mages in the college of winterhold (new spells will unlock when you reach appropriate levels). Some are given as quest rewards or in special areas.

Dresden

So what kind of damage do people do with their weapon specialties?

With an ebony bow and ebony arrows I'm doing 105 damage in addition to 25 of frost and half as much shock. That is usually tripled as I'm generally always hidden.

My one-armed skill is only 54 and daggers only do 16, but when sneaking with the right armor
dark brotherhood gloves
I can do a massive 480 point backstab.

My archery is like at 22 so pitiful damage with whatever bow I grab, dunno.

One-armed is at like 76 now and my daedric dagger does 65 damage. With two daggers I can backstab for 3,900 damage, and that's without using a power attack.

Ri'Orius

With an ebony bow and ebony arrows I'm doing 105 damage in addition to 25 of frost and half as much shock. That is usually tripled as I'm generally always hidden.

My one-armed skill is only 54 and daggers only do 16, but when sneaking with the right armor
dark brotherhood gloves

How do you determine how much damage you deal? I've only been able to find weapons' base damage damage (and in the case of bound weapons, not even that).

abundant

Warning for anyone going after the War Hero achievement, if you complete the Main Quest up to about the half way point and side with the Stormcloaks, you may end up making a decision that blocks this achievement.

During the Peace Treaty discussion, if you hand over Markarth to the Stormcloaks, you can't do the mission to take over Fort Sungard.

jiien

How do you determine how much damage you deal? I've only been able to find weapons' base damage damage (and in the case of bound weapons, not even that).

The attack rating for a given weapon when viewed in your inventory is actually the damage you do, with all skill/perk bonuses applied under a normal scenario (ie, not sneaking, not power attack), excluding elemental enchants.

Dresden

Dragon priests are acting oddly for me lately, all they do is keep Ward up while I stand there and hack at them. I miss the days when Krosis and Co. would glide away while making me eat fireballs.

Woorloog

Banned
Why would anyone go left in that tree? Not worth the time to craft or use.

Glass Armor is too high level for the pace i make new characters. Thus i had to craft one. Glass armor and weapons are very sexy looking. Hell, glass sword is the best looking sword in the whole game (the best looking sword in Morrowind and Oblivion is glass sword as well).
Steel Plate armor is very nice looking. Orcish armor is horrible (and Orcish weapons are useless and ugly) and Dwarven one is not that great either. Ebony... meh in this game. Ebony Mail is good. Daedric armor is not my style really. Daedric weapons are useful but as i noted, i never get high enough level to really need them. Flawless Glass sword by level 20 is more than adequate.

But if you're min-maxer or something like that, the light path is really bad really. The whole smithing tree is badly made if you ask me.

Should have had 3 paths: Light, Heavy and Weapons, with Dragon Smithing at top of each paths. The first perk would've been "Basic Improvement" (Iron and Fur/Hide), and this would branch to "light path", "heavy path", "weapons path" and Arcane Blacksmith.
Light path would start with Leather armor, heavy with steel, and weapons with steel weapons.

Light Armor: Leather, Elven, Scale, [something that doesn't exist ATM], Glass, Dragon.
Elven, Dwemer or Dwemer weapons (one needed) could enable Imperial armor and weapons and improving it, dead-end.
Heavy Armor: Steel, Dwemer, Plate, Orcish, Ebony, Daedric, Dragon.
Weapons: Steel, Orcish, Dwemer, Ebony, Glass, Daedric, Dragon (why Dragon weapons don't exist?).

The issue with this is, of course, that this would require a lot of perks. But of course you wouldn't make both Light and Heavy armor? And one possiblity could be to make Glass, Daedric and Dragon weapons to branch from Ebony, each having it's own pros and cons This would reduce the required perks to 11-12 or 13 if one would take Imperial perk as well.
Imperial could be alteranatively "Faction" armor and weapons and would offer all faction items, also enabling making "advanced" versions of them. Glass Stormcloak cuirass, Daedric Imperial Armor et cetera.
This game should've had additional light armor... Mithril or mail perhaps?

EDIT that ended up being far longer than i thought. And i have another long post underway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dragon priests are acting oddly for me lately, all they do is keep Ward up while I stand there and hack at them. I miss the days when Krosis and Co. would glide away while making me eat fireballs.

I think they're afraid of me. I killed Nahkriin last night, and he was a cinch. I didn't even hide from him. I just took his attack straight in the face, and hacked him to pieces.

That's mask #3. I'm going to after all 8 now. Mwahahaha

The best part is, since Nahkriin's mask is heavy armor, improving it gave me the same AR as the daedric helm, but with much better enchantments (and it looks cooler)

ShinNL

How was it ruined? I loaded up my post-patch save and everything seemed fine.
By ruined I meant I can't play it now 'till they fixed this bug. I'm 100% I set Steam not to update the game yet it did. Now considering how long it took for them to respond to the PS3 bug, who knows how long it will take before they patch this patch. And I really don't feel like venturing into the world knowing that any random dragon or mage can 1 shot me (Master difficulty) even though I have max magic resist.

Basically I was playing this game 5+ hours each day since Australia-unlocked early launch, instantly turned into not wanting to play. Ruined my build completely (melee).

Woorloog

Banned
Trying to make up character concepts for my next character, ie deciding what skills and playstyle i'm going to employ. I try to limit skills to 4, as that way i don't spread perks too thin and i still have leftover perks in case i need something else as well.

And if possible, i'll try not to fast travel and otherwise roleplay them. Makes the game more interesting at times, less hack'n'slash. I remember in Oblivion when i limited myself to one arena battle per day with a Redguard warrior, and went to an inn after each battle. It was fun.

The first concept is "Daedric" priest. Conjuration (Summoning only, no necromancy or weapons) and Restoration as main skills. Speech and... what? as secondary skills. And enchanting as tertiary skill probably, mainly kept up by trainers. This one would need a companion.. but i'm not sure i'd like to leave all combat for my companion and summoned creature. So maybe one handed as well? Priestly mace? Any ideas? No armor, so i would have to be careful and hang behind. Dragons are going to be difficult. Alter would by my race probably, absolutely the best race for magi characters and interesting one besides, the Thalmor do not practice Daedra worhship after all. Alternatively Dunmer, invidual who has reverted to ancient ways of Daedra worship. Can't really think any other race really fitting this concept. I'm not looking at racials really for these concepts.
Factions: Mage's College. Probably join the civil war as well but which factions would accept a Daedra worshipper more readily? What do you think?

The second concept is less "developed" (I made up the first one as i wrote, it came naturally). Some sort archer, for i haven't played one properly yet. Maybe a hunter, a fringer who doesn't like cities, preferring life in the wilderness. Thrill of stalking, hunt and killing are important, would probably join the Dark Brotherhood. So Archery and Sneak as primaries, Alchemy and what? as secondaries. Armor is not really that important, i'd wear what looks good or useful, concentrating on maximum range damage (poisoned bow) without abusing the game mechanics. I need fourth skill still though, any ideas what would complement Archery, Sneak and Alchemy well for a hunter?
Also no idea about the race. Argonian, Khajiit and Wood Elf would suit this quite well though. Alternatively Orc or barbaric Redguard.

I love the looks of Imperial heavy armor though, but i have no ideas what sort of character would wear heavy armor. I'm currently playing a light armor warrior so another warrior is not a good idea right now. Unless i'd made an archer warrior... but heavy armored archer has its own issues. I'd probably need a melee weapon as well for backup. And what else would that character do? Imperial archer with sword and healing magic?

I'm not going to play another werewolf character nor bother with the Companions quests probably, they just don't feel interesting. But i absolutely need vampirism for one... i just don't have a good concept for a character who also could be a vampire :/ And suggestions?

By the way, in case you didn't know, there's a good perk planner here.

Ri'Orius

Why would anyone go left in that tree? Not worth the time to craft or use.

I haven't done much Smithing (just started grinding it, in fact), but isn't Dragon armor the best? I mean, the left side will get you there and costs one fewer perks. So that seems better in the long run.

Or is there some point to using Daedric or Dwarven gear in the endgame?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm confused. What is the bug?

I haven't done much Smithing (just started grinding it, in fact), but isn't Dragon armor the best? I mean, the left side will get you there and costs one fewer perks. So that seems better in the long run.

Daedric is the best in the endgame, but Dragon is the second best, and the mats are easy to get. A full daedric legendary set beats out Dragon Plate by about 20-30 AR.

Dwarven is kind of crap. It's not worth wasting time with.

Warning for anyone going after the War Hero achievement, if you complete the Main Quest up to about the half way point and side with the Stormcloaks, you may end up making a decision that blocks this achievement.

During the Peace Treaty discussion, if you hand over Markarth to the Stormcloaks, you can't do the mission to take over Fort Sungard.

That is not true. I had exactly the same situation as described
(handled Markarth to Stormcloaks
, after the MQ I proceeded to faceroll them with my Imperial Defender. Got the achievement, without any issues.

Woorloog

Banned

Dragonscale is the best light armor, Daedric is the best heavy armor. But with Smithing and Heavy or Light perks you can stick to weaker armor and simply improve it. 567 armor is enough for maximun damage resistance the game allows.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, I went from Robes straight to Daedric (at level 35). Left side is just a waste of perks.

It is if you don't care about some armors looks. I absolutely wanted Glass armor. So it was worth the perks for me. Besides, my warrior uses only 3 skills otherwise, without smithing i'd have many unused perks.

Kyoufu

It is if you don't care about some armors looks. I absolutely wanted Glass armor. So it was worth the perks for me. Besides, my warrior uses only 3 skills otherwise, without smithing i'd have a a lot perks unused.

A fair point. Glass looks alright, but nothing beats Daedric imo. Especially on females :3

Wazzim

Banned
Skyrim really is popular :O

I was doing my usual thing in the supermarket today after school when a colleague of mine asked how far I have proceeded in Skyrim since our last talk about it last week. Then a random +-35 year old guy was like 'Are you guys talking about Skyrim?' we started talking about how many hours of our life we had wasted and high rank armor enhancements etc.

I already had a crazy (in like: best teacher I ever had) physics teacher who was addicted to Morrowind a couple of years ago but shit, having random people jumping in the conversation about the game is really amazing lol.

Woorloog

Banned
A fair point. Glass looks alright, but nothing beats Daedric imo. Especially on females :3

*googles a pic* Nice. That means i absolutely need a female character who has daedric armor. Maybe that Daedric priest concept, i was thinking of making it female anyway. Robes until i get Daedric armor, as i said i don't use armor skills really.

Log4Girlz

What if I didn't side with anyone?
and still gave Markarth tot he Stormcloaks?

abundant

That is not true. I had exactly the same situation as described
(handled Markarth to Stormcloaks
, after the MQ I proceeded to faceroll them with my Imperial Defender. Got the achievement, without any issues.

How'd you do it? I joined up with the Stormcloaks and never got that mission.

If you join the Legion, you will get the mission that unlocks the Achievement. This only happens if you join the Stormcloaks.

In order to even have the opportunity to get the War Hero Acievement you have to side with someone anyway in the Civil War Quest. It was meant to be unlocked no matter which side you're with. A bug prevents you from getting it when siding with the Stormcloaks though.

WTF?! Started the game... Explored the world a bit after escaping and then decided to head for Riverwood.

Saw a chicken and killed it, picked a lock and now everyone is trying to kill me. No save before my terrible deeds.

Are they gonna calm down or am i fucked and can't progress in Riverwood now? -.-

I've cleared that Brotherhood dungeon for the "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!" quest and went back to Maro.

All I got was some money, crap and praise? That's it? End of the quest? I've made Skyrim a better place? Are you kidding me? Someone here seriously trolled me, when he said that it would start an awesome quest.

Fuck.

If you join the Legion, you will get the mission that unlocks the Achievement. This only happens if you join the Stormcloaks.

I sided with the Imperials. I was sure the mission you described was given my Imperial Legion.

EDIT: Just checked, I did receive this mission while siding with the Imperial Legion. Aren't those missions exact opposites i.e. you cannot get the mission to capture the same fort from both Imperial Legion and Stormcloaks?

webrunner

I've cleared that Brotherhood dungeon for the "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!" quest and went back to Maro.

All I got was some money, crap and praise? That's it? End of the quest? I've made Skyrim a better place? Are you kidding me? Someone here seriously trolled me, when he said that it would start an awesome quest.

Fuck.

The awesome quests are if you join them.

Souplak

Ok a question. I did the
Glory of the dead
quest which ends with you
becoming the next Harbinger for the companions

Now the rest of the circle just gives quest after quest. Are these infinite? or will they end after a while?

edgefusion

Ok a question. I did the
Glory of the dead
quest which ends with you
becoming the next Harbinger for the companions

Now the rest of the circle just gives quest after quest. Are these infinite? or will they end after a while?

Infinite. There are a whole bunch of dudes in Skyrim who hand out infinite quests.

dark brotherhood gloves

my daederic bow bow is in the low 200s right now not including arrows and magic. I am wearing some archer boosting stuff but my legendary rating is super high. im want to start to one shot sneak dragons with some stronger poisons adding so 220+30frost+31fire+18glass arrow+90 point damage health poison= around 1160 for a sneak attack. Feels good man.

I Always run with a soul suck bow though i like nailing things from really far away just to see it light up blue.

Kikarian

The bethesda forums are going OTT with the 1.2 patch. Sure it's bad, and has caused problems but I think the devs know about this now. All the threads bar 1 should be deleted relating the 1.2 patch. They should hold an Official Thread for it. All problems should be held there.

alphaNoid

Banned
I need help GAF, on the PC version how do I draw my bow, aim but if I want to undraw the arrow and not fire.. how do I do that? It seems I can only aim by holding M1 and there is no option to undraw so once I aim with M1 the arrow is lost?

Then I see archer videos where people are able to undraw/aim the arrow?

Help

Souplak

Infinite. There are a whole bunch of dudes in Skyrim who hand out infinite quests.

I read on one of the wiki that you would get a quest where you help
Farkas and Vilkas get rid of their wearwolf curse
the thing is I havent gotten it yet. So did I miss that quest somehow?

RealMeat

Banned
The attack rating for a given weapon when viewed in your inventory is actually the damage you do, with all skill/perk bonuses applied under a normal scenario (ie, not sneaking, not power attack), excluding elemental enchants.

Is there a way to see that for bound weapons?

Woorloog

Banned
Did i use the calculations correctly? From UESP http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

I determined with 15 skill in heavy armor, no perks, wearing steel armor without shield i would have 18.75% damage reduction.

1/5th damage reduction at end-game isn't great of course... with Lord Stone that would be 70% though. Add some skill ups (no perks) and attaining almost maximum of 80% wouldn't be far. Some Smithing (even without perks) would boost me to there.
This would of course be useful only for a character who doesn't need mana or magicka regen from Standing Stones.

EDIT i have no idea why i should bother with armor perks...

jiien

Is there a way to see that for bound weapons?

Not that I know of, sorry.

Edit: Isn't there a set damage that bound weapons do? And perks to increase their damage? I don't know if One Handed, or Archery skills actually affect bound weapons. UESP wiki may clarify.

Top Bottom