• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Sec0nd

Oh man laughed my ass off when I was doing this early Thieves Guild quest where you
go into the basement of the Honningbrew Meadery and you find this guy that's trying to create a Skeefer army to take over Whiterun
! Oh man this game!

jiien

I need help GAF, on the PC version how do I draw my bow, aim but if I want to undraw the arrow and not fire.. how do I do that? It seems I can only aim by holding M1 and there is no option to undraw so once I aim with M1 the arrow is lost?

Then I see archer videos where people are able to undraw/aim the arrow?

Help

Hit R, which is usually to sheath your weapon. For a drawn bow, it will lower your weapon.

GhaleonEB

I've cleared that Brotherhood dungeon for the
"Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!"
quest and went back to Maro.

All I got was some money, crap and praise? That's it? End of the quest? I've made Skyrim a better place? Are you kidding me? Someone here seriously trolled me, when he said that it would start an awesome quest.

Fuck.

Could you PLEASE use some freaking spoiler tags? Introduce the topic so people know what you are talking about and then tag the sensitive stuff. I'm just starting the DB and that quest title...goddamn it. :(

scy

Did i use the calculations correctly? From UESP http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

I determined with 15 skill in heavy armor, no perks, wearing steel armor without shield i would have 18.75% damage reduction.

1/5th damage reduction at end-game isn't great of course... with Lord Stone that would be 70% though. Add some skill ups (no perks) and attaining almost maximum of 80% wouldn't be far. Some Smithing (even without perks) would boost me to there.
This would of course be useful only for a character who doesn't need mana or magicka regen from Standing Stones.

Well, not sure which Steel you're talking about but I assume regular ol' Steel, not Steel Plate. That's 76 Displayed Armor Rating before upgrading them, 126 after Legendary. Factoring in the 100 hidden AR brings you up to 226 and then Lord Stone makes it 276 for 33% Resistance.

Could you PLEASE use some freaking spoiler tags? Introduce the topic so people know what you are talking about and then tag the sensitive stuff. I'm just starting the DB and that quest title...goddamn it. :(

For what it's worth,
it isn't a Dark Brotherhood quest. It's what happens if you decide against joining. So ... since you're doing the quests, this didn't spoil the questline at all
. Don't think it's an actual spoiler but tagged it out of safety anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, not sure which Steel you're talking about but I assume regular ol' Steel, not Steel Plate. That's 76 Displayed Armor Rating before upgrading them, 126 after Legendary. Factoring in the 100 hidden AR brings you up to 226 and then Lord Stone makes it 276 for 33% Resistance.

Uh, no upgrading, regular steel, no shield, no perks and The Lord Stone is flat 50% damage reduction. Thus armor damage reduction (about 20% if i calculated it correctly) plus 50% damage reduction would be 70%. Meaning no use for armor perks really. Or high level armor for that matter.

scy

Uh, no upgrading, regular steel, no shield, no perks and The Lord Stone is flat 50% damage reduction. Thus armor damage reduction (about 20% if i calculated it correctly) plus 50% damage reduction would be 70%. Meaning no use for armor perks really. Or high level armor for that matter.

Lord Stone is +50 Armor Rating, not +50% DR.

GhaleonEB

For what it's worth,
it isn't a Dark Brotherhood quest. It's what happens if you decide against joining. So ... since you're doing the quests, this didn't spoil the questline at all
. Don't think it's an actual spoiler but tagged it out of safety anyway.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I was thinking back to (Oblivion DB)
how we could (had to?) kill the other people in the Dark Brotherhood and thought this was the same. Whew!

Thanks. I'll go chill now.

Woorloog

Banned
Lord Stone is +50 Armor Rating, not +50% DR.

No, it is 50% damage resistance according to UESP and the Game Guide.
TES wikia notes it as being 50+ armor.
So what does the game show?
If it is not flat 50% damage reduction, the stone is completly worthless.

Too bad the game doesn't have "damage resistance" or "resist normal weapons" enchantment...

nib95

Banned
Anyone? Weirdly, the menu screen for me no longer shows a version number either. It used to read 1.XXX etc. Anyone have any ideas on what's up and if the patch message showing up is just the 1.2 patch? Has my game reset itself or something?

scy

Too bad the game doesn't have "damage resistance" or "resist normal weapons" enchantment...

UESP Wiki denotes it is 50 Armor as well. It even has its own place in the formula for it as part of the Displayed Armor Rating. It is +50 Armor or +6% DR. I can check again when I get off work, I suppose :/

Wallach

It's 50 armor, and 25% magic resistance.

Lakitu

st5fu
Holy shit, the area around Lost Valley Redoubt is fucking beautiful, man. It's massive. Then I found
Bard's Leap Summit and I jumped into the waterfall. Then a ghost bard just appears and talks to me.
I love this game.

Kikarian

Just killed
Mercer Frey, from the thieves guild. It was good , especially with the water rising and not knowing where to go added alot of tension. Do you get to keep the skeleton key even after turning the quest in?

Woorloog

Banned
It's 50 armor, and 25% magic resistance.

The fuck? So it is completly useless. Sure, 25% magic resistance is okay but 50% spell absorb from the Atronach stone is far better, even with the magicka regen penalty which is easily replaced. And potions are plentiful anyway.

You can tell a game is made by Bethesda when balancing is non-existent. Even a single player game needs some, and is better with some balancing (New Vegas for example).

Still not going to bother with armor perks anymore for future characters... slow to raise and and boring perks.

EDIT the best stones are:
The Steed, very useful for anyone wearing armor, or those who don't want to raise stamina and need more inventory space.
The Atronach. 50 magicka, 50% damage reduction from spells (or chance to block the whole spell, which one is it?). The penalty is laughable, since the potions are plentiful and magicka regen is not that useful anyway due to reduced rates during combat.
And the Ritual which is absolutely coolest. And having a bunch of bodies to help you in a tough fight is good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just killed
Mercer Frey, from the thieves guild. It was good , especially with the water rising and not knowing where to go added alot of tension. Do you get to keep the skeleton key even after turning the quest in?
Yeah that fight was ridiculously cool.

You get to keep it after that. You apparently lose it when you do the next quest, which I haven't yet.

Sec0nd

Oh man, didn't know dragons could appear while you were in a city! I fast traveled to Whiterun and when I arrived it was nighttime. But right away this (my very first) Elder dragon starts attacking the city! It was spewing fire all over the city and landing on buildings and whatnot! Oh man it looked so good and awesome, especially during night time!

scy

Still not going to bother with armor perks anymore for future characters... slow to raise and and boring perks.

Eh, they're still useful if you're trying to reach the Armor cap. Unless you're just going to circumvent it entirely with the Enchanting/Alchemy/Smithing trio ... though you'll still fall short, for the record (barring some extreme circumstances with Armor skill Enchants, I think; I did the math for this yesterday how did I forget it already :/).

The Atronach. 50 magicka, 50% damage reduction from spells (or chance to block the whole spell, which one is it?). The penalty is laughable, since the potions are plentiful and magicka regen is not that useful anyway due to reduced rates during combat.

Neither, as far as I know; you absorb the Magicka from the spell (i.e., replenishing your own) but it has nothing to do with the damage you take. Admittedly, I haven't tested this near as much as the Armor/Weapon mechanics.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, they're still useful if you're trying to reach the Armor cap. Unless you're just going to circumvent it entirely with the Enchanting/Alchemy/Smithing trio ... though you'll still fall short, for the record (barring some extreme circumstances with Armor skill Enchants, I think; I did the math for this yesterday how did I forget it already :/).

Neither, as far as I know; you absorb the Magicka from the spell (i.e., replenishing your own) but it has nothing to do with the damage you take. Admittedly, I haven't tested this near as much as the Armor/Weapon mechanics.

I'm not bothering with armor perks anymore as i'd rather use block (which reduces incoming damage ridiculous amounts, Elemental protection+Spellbreaker negates magic users entirely) or simply not get hit. Or use summons or friends to soak up damage. Most of the armors are not that great looking anyway and i'd rather wear clothes or armor whose looks i actually like than wear the best armor i can for damage resistance. My current warrior uses block and it reduces the damage i take far more than my armor does. Armor is ok when i don't manage to block but otherwise doesn't do much good as i don't have enchanted armor.

And i swear when i tested the Atronach it worked like in Oblivion or Morrowind (not sure which, more likely Morrowind), which included negating the spell effect. In Oblivion it was chance based to fully absorb and negate it, in Morrowind it reduced spell effect by its magnitude.
Gotta test this tomorrow.
If it only absorbs magicka and increases mine.. well it is still very good for a mage character.

Did you know that if you powerplayed in Morrowind and Oblivion, Breton with Atronach sign was among, if not the best, best choices for warrior characters?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fought a purple dragon last night.

The textures didn't load on it properly or something so it was literally purple........

yep, that's the textures not loading. What you're seeing is basically the normal mapping without textures.

Oh man, didn't know dragons could appear while you were in a city! I fast traveled to Whiterun and when I arrived it was nighttime. But right away this (my very first) Elder dragon starts attacking the city! It was spewing fire all over the city and landing on buildings and whatnot! Oh man it looked so good and awesome, especially during night time!

And this is why you should unlock dragons in the main quest before fucking around with side quests.

Nose Master

I know they took the new patch down, but do I have to delete the cache and all that nonsense to get rid of it, now? Or will it just sort of revert automatically?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Atronach stone has a very annoying habit of eating your summons, be that from a shout, conjuration spell or a item.

When you use a summon shout with a 300 min cooldown that does not work due to the Atronach stone, I switched to Lord stone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... my first dragon after the patch happen to know how to fly backward, doesnt seem to ever land and he fly faster than usual. Can't even kill him...i just want to use fast travel!

yep, that's the textures not loading. What you're seeing is basically the normal mapping without textures.

Happens to me sometimes as well on various things in the environment (PC here).

Yeah it's happened on a few other things lately. Someone sitting in an inn had a purple body but their head was textured fine :lol

Also, my horse helped in attacking a dragon, didn't think that would happen.

Woorloog

Banned
Atronach stone has a very annoying habit of eating your summons, be that from a shout, conjuration spell or a item.

When you use a summon shout with a 300 min cooldown that does not work due to the Atronach stone, I switched to Lord stone.

Well, yes, there's this bug. Not an issue if you do not use conjuration of course. Conjurers might want to use something else anyway, since your summons are supposed to take the hits for you... at least IMO.

Woorloog

Banned

Have you saved with 1.2 "patch"? If you have, there's nothing to be done for that save anymore, as old version cannot load new version.. If you haven't, then load the game and continue after deleting the cache as that deletes all the patches you've downloaded.

If you clear the cache, you lose the first patch too. Then you can't load your saves. :(

Also, it doesn't look like they took it down here: I'm still prompted to download the patch.

EDIT DAMMIT. Forgot that.

So what difficulty is everyone playing?

Adept. Enough challenge without being frustrating.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What quest do you have to do in order to get to buy a house in Windhelm? And what is the name of that quest?

Almost ALL the house quests require that you talk to the Jarl.

It's weird how you can still complete thieves missions even though you didn't do what the NPC or quest description told you.

I ended up killing one person in the Golden Glow but no repercussions..But I could have sworn the leader said no blood on the blade? And I also got seen by Gulum-Ei when it said I was supposed to shadow him but the mission didn't fail.
You never get punished for killing in the thieves guild, at least I didn't. One of my only gripes with the quest line. Why say that if you're not going to actually hold us accountable?

Especially annoying was (late quest spoiler)
In the dwemer ruin when karliah and other dude comment on all the dead bandits like *gasp* "a thief would never do that!!!" When you (likely) just killed a bunch of bandits to get in the damn place. Stupid.

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm on Expert. Depending on how severe the level scaling has been, I've jumped from Adept to Expert and back again depending on how things feel.

I might actually bump it up to Master to really feel threatened. As it is, my archery and sneak skills are so high, most enemies dont get a chance.

Although when they do, I'm often killed in one or two hits. Which I like, because I'm genuinely scared when I have to confront enemies head-on.

conman

Master.

Bethesda seems to have made the difficulty curve a bit steadier than in prior Elder Scrolls games, but even on Master, the game's surprisingly easy. I'd compare Master on Skyrim to Normal on most other (non-Bethesda) games. I die occasionally, but I can usually just blast my way through most enemies without worrying too much about strategy.

Frillen

Almost ALL the house quests require that you talk to the Jarl.

He doesn't give me anything. When I speak to the guy who sells the house he says "There is an empty home in the city, but there was some... unpleasantness recently. I'm afraid it's not available just yet."

Ducarmel

He doesn't give me anything. When I speak to the guy who sells the house he says "There is an empty home in the city, but there was some... unpleasantness recently. I'm afraid it's not available just yet."

this one was tricky to get I had to google it
you actually have to start the civil war, win it for the imperials or complete the rescue quest for the stormcloaks

Top Bottom