• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

question about enchanting.. if i disenchant an item with 10 frost damage, do i just learn the 10 frost or frost as a whole? so if i have another item that has 20 frost damage, do i also have to disenchant that item as well to learn the 20 damage instead of the 10?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You never get punished for killing in the thieves guild, at least I didn't. One of my only gripes with the quest line. Why say that if you're not going to actually hold us accountable?

Especially annoying was (late quest spoiler)
In the dwemer ruin when karliah and other dude comment on all the dead bandits like *gasp* "a thief would never do that!!!" When you (likely) just killed a bunch of bandits to get in the damn place. Stupid.
I got yelled at for
burning too many beehives

I did sneak by
all those guys in the ruins though, so her comment worked for me.

Woorloog

Banned
question about enchanting.. if i disenchant an item with 10 frost damage, do i just learn the 10 frost or frost as a whole? so if i have another item that has 20 frost damage, do i also have to disenchant that item as well to learn the 20 damage instead of the 10?

You learn effect the "Frost Damage". The soul size and your skill determine how good the effect is when you enchant a weapon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You learn effect the "Frost Damage". The soul size and your skill determine how good the effect is when you enchant a weapon.

Shit, I should have leveled enchanting more. Can you re-enchant an enchanted item?

You fill souls with the Soul Trap skill or a binding weapon, then killing something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh well. Nothing wrong with the challenge, I love my daggers even though they're nowhere near as strong as they could be if I did all the smithing and enchanting tricks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Shame they didn't fix the low sound bug, I'd edit the ini but none of my settings ever seem to stick through it.

Aesius

I'm on Expert. Depending on how severe the level scaling has been, I've jumped from Adept to Expert and back again depending on how things feel.

I might actually bump it up to Master to really feel threatened. As it is, my archery and sneak skills are so high, most enemies dont get a chance.

Although when they do, I'm often killed in one or two hits. Which I like, because I'm genuinely scared when I have to confront enemies head-on.

Same here. Level 41 and while I can generally just shred through most enemies, every once in a while I'll run across something that completely destroys me. I think it's a good balance.

I've put nearly 60 hours into the game -- I feel like I've earned the right to completely decimate most of my foes out there!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What fills a grand soul gem? I had a bunch of empties and went on a killing spree during a mission, but every time I did a stealth kill with my soul trap dagger, the game would say I didn't have a gem large enough to hold the soul.

I don't understand... can you not take human souls?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Been playing on Master since the beginning, never looked back. Having my ass decimated in Illnata's Deep at level 6, then coming back at 18 and owning the place will always be a fond memory for me.

edit: Black Soul gems hold human souls... but you should really do a certain quest I'm spoilering below

Go to the Shrine of Azura. The end result of that quest lets you pick a reward- pick the Black Star, a reusable gem that holds any size soul.

gdt

53 hours in, still got A LOT to do. Haven't finished the main quest (just killed that dragon with Dephine), and still have The Mages, Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, etc etc etc. Also want Thane-ship in all cities. Bard's College too (don't even know if that's a major questline).

Which is the best house? Already own Whiterun, Riften, and I can buy the one in...Solitude I think. The 25k one in the city on that weird rock cliff.

leng jai

53 hours in, still got A LOT to do. Haven't finished the main quest (just killed that dragon with Dephine), and still have The Mages, Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, etc etc etc. Also want Thane-ship in all cities. Bard's College too (don't even know if that's a major questline).

Which is the best house? Already own Whiterun, Riften, and I can buy the one in...Solitude I think. The 25k one in the city on that weird rock cliff.

Windhelm

GhaleonEB

How do I capture souls? I have gems but they're empty and I can't enchant. At one point I had some pre filled soul gems but I ran out.

Use Soul Trap to fill soul gems. However, I have found I never need to and just buy ones from the general stores on each of my loot dump runs. I sell the empties, and have never run out.

Been playing on Master since the beginning, never looked back. Having my ass decimated in Illnata's Deep at level 6, then coming back at 18 and owning the place will always be a fond memory for me.

edit: Black Soul gems hold human souls... but you should really do a certain quest I'm spoilering below

Go to the Shrine of Azura. The end result of that quest lets you pick a reward- pick the Black Star, a reusable gem that holds any size soul.

Crap, I have that quest on queue. Going to bump it up soon, thanks.

I'm playing on the second hardest setting now, but will bump it up to Master when the expansion hits and I roll a second character. It's good, but not brutal, challenge right now.

I think I'm getting Skyrim fatigue. The amount of quests I've run into is daunting, and all of them recently have been "go do this, clear out a dungeon of bad guys, get something, bring it back" The world is still beautiful, but after the fifth dungeon in a row that took fucking ever, I dunno. I'm finding it harder to get myself psyched to start the game up another time.

Enco

This game manages to make me feel so bad.

I just killed
the emperor
and
let him have a final request. I killed Amaund.
Managed to make me feel so freakin bad about it. Fuck the DB.

Christine

And someone is probably facepalming at the moment at some people thinking about a video game lore.

Didn't Lorkhan, uh, die? His heart was in Red Mountain, his body is two moons. Supposedly.

Yes. This is why he has to work so hard at gaining/maintaining active divinity on Tamriel, arranging a resurrection of sorts through a convergence of political, theological, metaphysical and mythic conflicts. Talos is the most recent Shezzarine initiative, and the most successful to date.

As such, Talos is seen by the Altmer as the ultimate adversary, their first and worst enemy. The Empire is a large problem for them because it provides a framework for mortal belief to soften the antagonism between Talos and Akatosh into something less destructive than out-and-out war.

Try to remember that any adjective applied to any of the beings that existed in the Dawn Era is strictly metaphor, even now. "Dead" only means so much when applied to something made of raw magic bound to and omnipresent in every piece and corner of the world. The Eight are "dead" too, although not quite in the same sense. It depends on which story you're telling about them.

Kyoufu

I like the fact that there are glitches in this game. If you finish that diplomatic quest at the Thralmor Embassy without looting the Unusual Gem, you're screwed...unless you glitch your way back in.

Thank you Bethesda.

Rookie

Neo Member
So I am curious..

as I am thinking of rolling a battle mage in the future.

Is there an actual negative to being a caster with Armour?

Like why would you wear robes over Armour? I see no positive in my opinion to chose robes over the light or even heavy Armour.

As someone mentioned earlier if you want a merchant to restock their stuff, save your game then kill the merchant then re-load your game. They will have a complete stock again.

I used this to power level my smithing.

Kyoufu

So I am curious..

Like why would you wear robes over Armour? I see no positive in my opinion to chose robes over the light or even heavy Armour.

There is no benefit to wearing robes over light or heavy armour. Just make sure you enchant them with fortify enchants.

TheContact

Ever since the patch Arcadia's Cauldron has disappeared. The doors are there, I can go in and shop, but nothing else is there. I can fall through the terrain of where it used to be and go under the map and found some NPCs hanging out in there. Also, I got Barbas, did the first quest, now he just follows me around as an invincible tank. Is that supposed to happen? The quest said he was going to lead me to some place way out near Solitude but he just follows me and he can't die.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I am curious..

Your in-combat mana regen will suck, but it sucks anyway even with +250%, so go for heavy armor.

Mastperf

I'm thinking about being an assassin type character on my second playthrough but it seems like a sneaky, dagger wielding character would be difficult in some of the battles. Anyone have any tips?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Ugh, I think I got a bug somewhere, because when I try to enter Yngol Barrow, now that I've bought the claw for it, everything goes black. No HUD, can't open my character menu, but I can still hear myself using my weapons and walking. I can turn around and walk back out, although there's one brief moment where it transitions me to another black area before I then walk and transition back to the outside. Anyone ever get this?

so...the new 360 patch, i should avoid it? i loaded up my game earlier and was prompted but didn't download it as I always wait a few days to see if there are any issues

freddy

Banned
Ever since the patch Arcadia's Cauldron has disappeared. The doors are there, I can go in and shop, but nothing else is there. I can fall through the terrain of where it used to be and go under the map and found some NPCs hanging out in there. Also, I got Barbas, did the first quest, now he just follows me around as an invincible tank. Is that supposed to happen? The quest said he was going to lead me to some place way out near Solitude but he just follows me and he can't die.

The quest is stupid. You are going to lead him to the place near Solitude with your magic quest map marker.

I'm thinking about being an assassin type character on my second playthrough but it seems like a sneaky, dagger wielding character would be difficult in some of the battles. Anyone have any tips?
As a sneaky bastard, light armor, the assassin line of perks in the sneak tree, the poison path of alchemy, and investing in archery will pay dividends. Sneak is a skill that benefits you dramatically in offense and defense which makes it a must to drop points in early on.

Even then though as a sneakthief its important to try and start battles from an advantageous position. The last thing you want is to get ambushed by a bear or troll. But hidden in the darkness you can start and end a fight like that relatively quickly.

Drain stamina and drain magicka potions are also pretty damn decent against two-handed weapon wielders and casters respectively.

Evolved1

Invest in block. Get running block and some of the basic one-handed proficiency.

I own shit. Block is super powerful. Even without power bash or slow motion (I don't have either) But the 50% damage reduction from fire/magic is awesome against dragons and shit. Combined with high sneak and 15x dagger damage I can pretty much own any situation.

I have really good light armor though. My dude is a smithy (and now enchanter!) and I also invested heavily in archery.

3phemeral

Goddamn Markarth glitch! I keep getting quests there...

Makaroth Murder Spoilers (slightly), maybe someone can clarify something for me:

So I started that Makaroth murder quest, and I got to a point where I killed that Old Nose guy, then the quest sent me to another location where some girl was executed or something at the Shrine of Talos. The guards said I could either go with them to the jail or resist, so I chose to resist and killed those guards inside, but then an infinite amount of guards kept coming through the Shrines Doors. My Dremora and that Khajiit follower killed like 30 of them or so to the point where my game couldnt handle all the bodies anymore, so I went outside and the guards said I needed to go to jail for murdering people, I said I was framed but he said there were witnesses. Is this supposed to happen? I had to high tail it out of Makaroth because my bounty is probably like a million gold. My house and my wife is in there =\

edit: also
Theo..something, the leader of Makaroth, his wife was killed when those assassins came in. I'm sure it's possible to save her...but I didn't care enough and just looted her body. What's funny though is about 2 seconds after he bitched at me for her death, he was in the other room flirting with this other girl saying like, "oh you're married huh, wow what a lucky guy to marry such a beautiful lady" or something. 2 seconds his wife is dead and he's already trying to sleep with a married woman..geez!

Yeah, the Markath is ass. So many bugs. For the Cannibalism quest
As soon as I walked into the Hall of the Dead, Eola attacks and follows me outside to the Keep. I eventually have to kill her because she re-spawns if the guards do, but then I get a failed quest notice even though I'm informed to tell the priest the hall is safe, but I can't find him anywhere.

Additionally, with that Forsworn Conspiracy quest,
I successfully killed every guard in the city and received the "Last Witness killed: bounty removed" message, and even had Jarl Igmund and his bodyguards chase me to the main square (they're great at leveling up your abilities but they never die). Whenever I go back, the guards are still dead (there's a pile of them at the front where they committed suicide off the first ledge bu the entrance). At some point, they come back and everything is normal, until I either go into the Shrine of Talos or the museum where I either get stuck in a "you need to go to jail" loop, or they immediately attack even after I say "Take me to jail!"

I was hoping that the patch would fix something so major. Even though I enjoy killing an entire city's worth of guards because it's a great skill-leveling opportunity, I kind of want to be done with it and move on.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I wish I read about the patch before downloading this bullshit. I better get my Whiterun decorations back when they release a new one. I'm on my second character so I'm not totally pissed but still aggravating not knowing what I'm going to lose in the house.

Evolved1

Thanks for the tips.

If you want to cheese it a little bit... the best way to increase block is to let a mud crab beat your ass. (bring health potions) They lvl it really fast and, unlike most other shit in the world, they don't move around much and they can't suddenly lop your head off even though you have more than 1/3 your health left. You also wont get a disease, as you often do with wolves and other animals.

You don't need all the perks, but the 50% reduction one and running block are essential.

They completely change the combat.

I actually go dual wielding daggers most of the time, but when shit gets hairy, my shield is a savior. Sometimes you just have to fight when the odds are against you.

Kyoufu

The slow regeneration during combat killed my plans for a pure mage. Any ways around this besides maybe staffs.

You don't need magicka as a pure mage. You just need 100 Smithing & Enchanting. Fortify Destruction and Fortify Restoration will make you a god.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The slow regeneration during combat killed my plans for a pure mage. Any ways around this besides maybe staffs.

Find a piece of gear that has a 'reduce cost by x%' effect for the school of magic of your choice and disenchant it. Then get about 10k together and exploit Smithing and Enchanting until you're able to make gear that reduces the cost of up to two different schools by 100%. Doing this will pretty much break the game and make it a cake walk, though.

It is unfortunate how slow mana regen is in combat. It would be fine if Destruction spell damage actually scaled, but since it doesn't, being a Destruction magic-focused caster is just about the worst decision you can make.

Top Bottom