• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Sharp

I haven't really had a lot of issues with my mana regen playing as a pure mage. Conjuration spells help a lot, though--going pure destruction kinda sucks. By using your summons as meat shields you can target cheap high-damage spells like runes at the enemy.

If you want to cheese it a little bit... the best way to increase block is to let a mud crab beat your ass. (bring health potions) They lvl it really fast and, unlike most other shit in the world, they don't move around much and they can't suddenly lop your head off even though you have more than 1/3 your health left. You also wont get a disease, as you often do with wolves and other animals.
Less cheese is just to always start standup fights by letting your enemies (whatever they are) take a few swipes at your shield before engaging. You get some block XP in battle, your enemies lose some of their stamina to their opening attacks, and you have a solid window of opportunity to start whooping on them.

Mastperf

Is alchemy a hard skill to level? I've always wanted to be a more "natural" character that avoided all magic and relied completely on his own mental and physical abilities.

So, it sounds like some races do have a different voice for the player character? I'm checking out those "The Good, The Bad and the Dovahkiin"-videos and the voice the guy's Dark Elf has when using Shouts is different than the one my Nord had.

balddemon

Banned
D0BAB7AAACD6E9DCB9DF01E6AC8898DDCB556849

this guy creeped me out a bit

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Day and a patch later, and the chick outside Winterhold still wont' show up to let me in. Can't progress through the main quest without being able to enter. Guess I should've gotten the pc version to tcl my way through

scy

Is alchemy a hard skill to level? I've always wanted to be a more "natural" character that avoided all magic and relied completely on his own mental and physical abilities.

Leveling it is based on the value of the Potions you can make. You'll want to focus on the following ideally:

Invisibility - Chaurus Eggs, Crimson Nirnroot, Ice Wraith Teeth, Luna Moth Wing, Nirnroot, Vampire Dust

Paralysis - Briar Heart, Canis Root, Human Flesh, Imp Stool, Swamp Fungal Pod

Fortify Carry - Creep Cluster, Giant's Toe, Hawk Beak, River Betty, Scaly Pholiata, Wisp Wrappings

Damage Magicka Regen - Bear Claws, Blue Butterfly Wing, Blue Mountain Flower, Chicken's Egg, Glow Dust, Hanging Moss, Human Heart, Jarrin Root, Nightshade, Spider Egg, Spriggan Sap

Slow - Deathbell, Large Antlers, River Betty, Salt Pile

Regen Health - Garlic, Juniper Berries, Luna Moth Wing, Namira's Rot, Nordic Barnacle, Vampire Dust

Regen Magicka - Dwarven Oil, Fire Salts, Garlic, Jazbay Grapes, Moon Sugar, Salt Pile, Taproot

Regen Stamina - Bee, Fly Amanita, Mora Tapinella, Scaly Pholiata

Damage Stamina Regen - Creep Cluster, Daedra Heart, Frost Mirriam, Giant's Toe, Histcarp, Juniper Berries, Large Antlers, Silverside Perch, Skeever Tail, Wheat

As you put more points into Alchemy perks, leveling gets a bit easier as Potion/Poison quality goes up and the Value of them go up. Then you'll run into an issue of trying to unload them all but, hey, at least it means you'll always want to be buying out Alchemy vendor Ingredient stock.

There's also a few standouts in there, like Giant's Toe + Wheat on Damage Stamina Regen makes a rather phenomenal Potion to sell (Fortify Health + Damage Stamina Regen is the effect). Damage Magicka Regen is a pretty good effect to make just due to how common many of the ingredients are (Blue Butterfly Wing, Blue Mountain Flower, Hanging Moss, Nightshade).

Also, almost all the Fortify Potions are right after Damage Stamina Regen in value so they're also worth a good amount. There's a jump in value between Regen Health/Magicka/Stamina and Damage Stamina Regen as well so that's mostly why I don't list those too. DSR is left in due to the Giant's Toe + Wheat formula being stupid amounts of good value.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, just finished the companion questline. Overall I found it pretty anticlimactic.
Spoilers I guess
It was cool. I really liked reading kodlaks journal and how he dreamt a prophecy you would come and help free him of the beast blood. But overall the questline was kinda boring. I mean, you only turned into a werewolf that one time. For the most part you just engaged the silver hand in petty battles until it lead to his death. By far the coolest quest besides the blood ritual was going to clear out the witches. The end part where you go into the tomb and fight off the ghost companions and then kodlaks beast spirit was neat. But I Just felt like there could have been more to it.
I guess there is always the possibility its not actually over. But it felt pretty final, now that you're in charge. So I have some questions about the werewolf stuff. Will I ever be able to turn into one at will like vilkas did in that drauger cave? Will it ever happen again on a full moon? How do I cure myself if I don't wish to be one anymore?

So, just finished the companion questline. Overall I found it pretty anticlimactic.
Spoilers I guess
It was cool. I really liked reading kodlaks journal and how he dreamt a prophecy you would come and help free him of the beast blood. But overall the questline was kinda boring. I mean, you only turned into a werewolf that one time. For the most part you just engaged the silver hand in petty battles until it lead to his death. By far the coolest quest besides the blood ritual was going to clear out the witches. The end part where you go into the tomb and fight off the ghost companions and then kodlaks beast spirit was neat. But I Just felt like there could have been more to it.
I guess there is always the possibility its not actually over. But it felt pretty final, now that you're in charge. So I have some questions about the werewolf stuff. Will I ever be able to turn into one at will like vilkas did in that drauger cave? Will it ever happen again on a full moon? How do I cure myself if I don't wish to be one anymore?

Go into the spells menu and you can choose
Beast Form, you can change once a day at will. Also I believe there are more quests to be done.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, thanks! I can't believe I didn't notice that. This game is so overwhelming! I just figured out how to poison arrows this morning. I've also put like 18 hours into the game and I've only had it for three days.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I guess I can still see part of the HUD in Yngol, but casting candlelight does nothing. It seems that when I first enter, I can see an icy path, but it flashes and goes black and I can't open the character menu, although I can open the game menu. Is this a bug or some odd feature of the dungeon?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The more I get into this game (and don't get me wrong, I love how much there is) the lack of consequences just gets more and more apparent. I side with the Stormcloaks, and the only consequence is imperial camps will get hostile if I get to close. I can still walk into their cities without incident.

I can join the Companions while being a Mage, despite their dislike of magic, can even join the thieves guild.

I love how much there is to do, but there's no connection between anything.

Zeliard

The more I get into this game (and don't get me wrong, I love how much there is) the lack of consequences just gets more and more apparent. I side with the Stormcloaks, and the only consequence is imperial camps will get hostile if I get to close. I can still walk into their cities without incident.

I can join the Companions while being a Mage, despite their dislike of magic, can even join the thieves guild.

I love how much there is to do, but there's no connection between anything.

Yeah the world isn't reactive at all. One of the reasons I'd like Obsidian to take a stab at Elder Scrolls is because that sort of thing would probably become a much bigger part of the game.

Game definitely has plenty of issues that could be remedied. The little moments make it all worth it though.

tesv2011-11-3019-11-0p5ru7.png

Phreaker

It is unfortunate how slow mana regen is in combat. It would be fine if Destruction spell damage actually scaled, but since it doesn't, being a Destruction magic-focused caster is just about the worst decision you can make.

I have a robe and amulet that help with regen speed so it hasn't been too bad for me (level 25). At least the spells have a cheaper cast cost as you level up. I guess the only way to increase the damage output is to use the next level spell Adept, Apprentice, etc.?

Finalow

Yeah the world isn't reactive at all. One of the reasons I'd like Obsidian to take a stab at Elder Scrolls is because that sort of thing would probably become a much bigger part of the game.

Game definitely has plenty of issues that could be remedied. The little moments make it all worth it though.

tesv2011-11-3019-11-0p5ru7.png
this.
then I would like to know if you killed that dragon.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Has anyone noticed that since the patch, you can't hold the action button over your follower to instantly enter the point-command mode?

How set in stone is the Stormcloaks questline? Do you pretty much have to be a racists bastard who will cleave through anyone who doesn't agree with you or is there room to be a little more diplomatic, bend the fight to a slightly nobler goal of wanting Skyrim to be in charge of its own affairs?

Zoibie

I just started the game and near the end of the dragon sequence, I didn't realise there was a choice of who to follow. How much does that effect stuff later on in the game?

Grisby

Decided after 70 hours it was time to beat the main story. Last battle was piss easy but damn if I didn't feel like a bad ass. That area is also gorgeous.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I just started the game and near the end of the dragon sequence, I didn't realise there was a choice of who to follow. How much does that effect stuff later on in the game?

Zero effect at all.

LQX

Just finished the game and put damn near 60 hours in and only learned about 5 hours ago you can assign weapons and spells to hotkeys. What the fuck. For over 50 hours I would tab into the menu and switch weapons and spells. Far worse though is that I thought making armor went by your player level rather than smiting level. Worse case of playing a game wrong.

That said I loved this game though. Sold Oblivion after just 2 hours but kept with this and was one of the most amazing gaming experience I ever had. Also this is truly one the best looking games at least on PC. The scale of this game is unmatched and I have played BF3 and Crysis maxed out but this game actually made me stop in my tracks and take in the scenery as it was so amazing.

The ending for the main quest though was a let down. Not even any credits. Game also has few problems but nothing that made me want to stop playing or really frustrated me. Wish you could color code and prioritize quests though. See myself picking it up ever few months if not weeks for years as there is a lot of shit left to be done but there are a ton of games I have to finish so I will be deleting this shit off my hard drive for a few weeks so I'm not tempted.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I just watched two cave bears kill a blood dragon that was attacking me. I just started the fight with the dragon and ran off watched the bears do the work and I collect the soul.

Rimfya

Banned
I didn't even know there was a choice, just followed the imperial dude.

LOL. I don't remember a choice either! I started wondering the other day how I could've chosen the Imperials and then I heard this in Zero Punctuation's review you make the choice in the beginning!

What I don't understand is now how I walk around scott-free in the Imperial controlled towns.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How do I give the supplies to the Greybeards from the guy near the bridge at the bottom of the mountain?

Are anyone else's controls completely borked after the patch on PC? I'm using a 360 pad and now all my hotmapped face buttons don't work right in the quest and map menus. Really annoyed.

TheUsual

Gold Member
How do I give the supplies to the Greybeards from the guy near the bridge at the bottom of the mountain?

There's a chest before you enter the building where the Greybeards are. Open the chest and store the supplies in there

EDIT
Wasn't sure to put in spoiler tags or not, but oh well.

So it's kind of annoying me how my atronarchs are getting killed by my spells. Kind of defeats the point of placing them tactically. Hopefully this gets figured out soon.

God damn there is so much to do in this game. I've played about 30 hours and just spoke to the Greybeards for the first time. Then I did something, ended up in Makarath and got about four more new quests within about five minutes, which has added to my ever growing back log of quests.

Is it best to just get the main story out of the way first or to just play at your own pace? I have a feeling I won't see the end of this game for a long, long time if I don't stop trying to clear out my quest log before advancing the plot.

Top Bottom