• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

question.. does the nightingale armor level with you? right now i'm working towards getting the nightingale armor which i think looks the best, even better than the daedric armor. though i'm not sure if it will hold me towards my journey.

Astra

Speaking of...is it possible to marry the same sex?

Yes, which I think is stupid. Everyone in Skyrim is bisexual? Really?
It's just laziness on Bethesda's part, with no effort to individualize characters.
There should have been an effort for characters to have their own personal tastes in partners, and I'm talking beyond male or female, but even preference for a certain race, or even character build.

Take Aela for example, she seems like the type who would be into a strong, physical fighter. So having high stats in the Warrior line would have her take an interest in you.

Marriage just feels really pointless to me, with no challenge at all in getting a partner, and with no real benefits.

bengraven

What? Really?

Is it against your immersion? Just assume when you're playing a male that all those available males are actually gay and it's okay. It's just a game.

When creators are making characters they're more worried about stats, appearances, storyline...and not really about the character's sexual orientation.

Anteater

I think I'm going to start dropping shit from my inventory or just not picking up stuff, sorting my inventory and selling stuff is getting annoying especially with the merchants having only 1k gold.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe in the world of Skyrim sexual orientation is a non-issue?:p

One thing I don't like is how races are handled, where you would expect a lot more tension between the races. There are actually hints of this in what the characters say, but it has no impact on the spoken dialogue in terms of what race the player chose.

I think I'm going to start dropping shit from my inventory or just not picking up stuff, sorting my inventory and selling stuff is getting annoying especially with the merchants having only 1k gold.

Yeah I don't up books anymore, I open them to get stat boosts if there are any, and I only take some weapons and armor and dump a lot of it on the way.

BTW my Lydia is constantly reviving dead enemies with a staff, then switching to the Skyforge doubled handed sword + fire enchant and killing everything else. lol

I like how when you kill one of your own revived dead, sometimes they'll say "Thaaaaank youuuu....".

Astra

Well, since they have that feature, they could have at least put a modicum of effort into the whole courting process to make it more fun, or worth it, is all I'm saying. It just doesn't matter who you marry. It's just how I would prefer it.

Maybe in the world of Skyrim sexual orientation is a non-issue?:p

One thing I don't like is how races are handled, where you would expect a lot more tension between the races. There are actually hints of this in what the characters say, but it has no impact on the spoken dialogue in terms of what race the player chose.

It seems not, which is great. Skyrim is truly a progressive province, full of acceptance of people's preferences and beliefs, with no persecution.

Wait...

It's just laziness on Bethesda's part, with no effort to individualize characters.
There should have been an effort for characters to have their own personal tastes in partners, and I'm talking beyond male or female, but even preference for a certain race, or even character build.

Take Aela for example, she seems like the type who would be into a strong, physical fighter. So having high stats in the Warrior line would have her take an interest in you.

Marriage just feels really pointless to me, with no challenge at all in getting a partner, and with no real benefits.
I'm glad they wasted absolutely no time on it.

StUnNeR H2K

Any 360 users not having issues with the patch? Or atleast not noticing anything major? I'm seeing comments in the Bethesda forums that some people aren't noticing the issues.

I played offline all night last night, and it sucked not being able to hop in party chat while I played.

Korosenai

If you finish the Thieves Guild you get
4 fencers all with 4k gold a piece. The chick that hangs out in the ragged flagon, one at windhelm, one at markarth, and another at solitude.

bengraven

You know, I was set to become a Stormcloak. Mostly because their armor is cooler, their characters are much better, and because I'm a rebel.

But someone spoiled something for me about Ulfric and now I'm not so sure.

Astra

You know, I was set to become a Stormcloak. Mostly because their armor is cooler, their characters are much better, and because I'm a rebel.

But someone spoiled something for me about Ulfric and now I'm not so sure.

I wanted to join the Stormcloaks, but I am a Dark Elf, and they're all way too racist for my character's liking. It's like they'd just use me as canon fodder. If only a Dark Elf joining their rebellion and making a difference would change the way Ulfric and his court sees the Dunmer.

On that note, don't the Dark Elves hate the Altmer just as much as the Nords?

That is odd. I am level 81, though I went beyond 50 before the patch.
It must have glitched. I hope you have a recent backup save to go to, if so.

Anteater

Yeah I don't up books anymore, I open them to get stat boosts if there are any, and I only take some weapons and armor and dump a lot of it on the way.

Yea I stopped picking up books pretty early, ended up never really reading most of them other than some of the journals, they really should have some kind of separate inventory if they want us to read them.

If you finish the Thieves Guild you get
4 fencers all with 4k gold a piece. The chick that hangs out in the ragged flagon, one at windhelm, one at markarth, and another at solitude.

Interesting, thanks, I'm working on the Thieves guild now, seems like I got/or getting most out of thieves guild and dark brotherhood, didn't really feel like I got anything out of the companions quest.

So ... I've just been told to get the Staff of Magnus but have no clue where it might be, nobody told me "it might be near X" or "ask around Y". Is the "show on map" function really the only clue you get on this?

And here's a slightly off-topic question: Skyrim sorta got me interested in the Bethsoft Fallout games (couldn't get into Fallout 2 because battles seemed to take foreve, such as the metric ton of rats in that building near where you start out). If I like Skyrim, will I like F3 or New Vegas better? Plus, are both really that unplayable on PS3?

bengraven

I wanted to join the Stormcloaks, but I am a Dark Elf, and they're all way too racist for my character's liking. It's like they'd just use me as canon fodder. If only a Dark Elf joining their rebellion and making a difference would change the way Ulfric and his court sees the Dunmer.

On that note, don't the Dark Elves hate the Altmer just as much as the Nords?

Well the Thalmor, if I remember correctly, is just the Altmer and Bosmer, so yeah. The Dunmer as usual are put to the side.

I loved the Legion in MW, but they don't seem to have as much characterization in Skyrim, which is another big reason why I was going Stormcloak.

I think that is scripted as the same happend to me but it was a weaking Blood one. Infact they are all weak as dual fire or ice bolt is broken :p

I'm reading through some walkthroughs now and they don't mention fighting a dragon. You check up on the guy and need to rush into town to fight those anomalies. Dragons spawn in that area pretty frequently (already fought another one there), so maybe we all just got lucky?

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, i'm screwed. TWO DRAGONS! Two dragons are attacking Falkreath at the same time. It is clear night, northern lights are very beatiful and two dragons...

EDIT Lame, one flew away once i killed the other ><

edgefusion

Y
Interesting, thanks, I'm working on the Thieves guild now, seems like I got/or getting most out of thieves guild and dark brotherhood, didn't really feel like I got anything out of the companions quest.

Same here and man is it such a grind! Doing these same stupid missions over and over just to unlock the last few decent ones. Sigh. All of this for some shops that I can actually sell all my stuff to.

HildyB

Any 360 users not having issues with the patch? Or atleast not noticing anything major? I'm seeing comments in the Bethesda forums that some people aren't noticing the issues.

I played offline all night last night, and it sucked not being able to hop in party chat while I played.

I didn't notice anything, but I'm level 44 and playing stealth archer so I pretty much one or two shot everything humanoid. If I were a mage, I imagine I would have a different tone to answer with.

I'm sad that this didn't fix my broken quests with NPCs stuck outside the map or the fact that when I obtained an item a certain side quest item wasn't updated.

nib95

Banned
Im officially obsessed with creating the most powerful Bow imaginable.

My Smithing is at 100 so when I use a grindstone my Daedric Bow ranks to Legendary and has a damage rating of 65 or something. I drank like 15 Fortify Smithing potions and the damage went to 102.

Is there a limit how high my smithing can go with use of Fortify Smithing apparel and potions?
I want this bow to be MAXED OUT.

Lol, only the first potion you drink counts as far as I can tell. So if the first one was +50% smithing, that's how much it will increase, even if you drink 5 of them. All my gear was smithed with +28% smithing enchanted on clothes (top, ring, necklace, braces etc) and +50% Blacksmith's potion.

However, I made some smithing potion just yesterday that was +65% Smithing! Looks like it's time for me to re-smith my gear lol.

Also, anyone know how to re-name your equipment? 360 version here. I just want all my stuff in an orderly fashion.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
WTF! I love that you can marry people of all genders! If only the game had people who explicitly identified outside of the male/female binary. Then I would totally stoked.

Major lols at "unrealistic".

AEREC

What? Really?

Is it against your immersion? Just assume when you're playing a male that all those available males are actually gay and it's okay. It's just a game.

When creators are making characters they're more worried about stats, appearances, storyline...and not really about the character's sexual orientation.

Then why put marriage in the game in the first place?

edgefusion

To be honest the whole companion system in the game is thoroughly shallow. I was expecting at least some companion quests like in New Vegas. It would've been a lot better if they wouldn't court you (or vice versa) until you'd proven your loyalty and done their quest instead of just "ooh shiny amulet, me love you now". Although I think I'd be pretty heartbroken if Vorstag turned around and told me he really liked me just not in that way.

Im officially obsessed with creating the most powerful Bow imaginable.

My Smithing is at 100 so when I use a grindstone my Daedric Bow ranks to Legendary and has a damage rating of 65 or something. I drank like 15 Fortify Smithing potions and the damage went to 102.

Is there a limit how high my smithing can go with use of Fortify Smithing apparel and potions?
I want this bow to be MAXED OUT.

I've got my Legendary Ebony bow (Pierced Souls is its name <3 ) at 131 damage plus 25 magicka damage. If they don't see me coming, I completely wreck shit. If they do see me coming, two arrows later and it doesn't matter anyway (I love the 50% faster draw perk. You don't realize what a difference that makes until you have it.)

thefil

To be honest the whole companion system in the game is thoroughly shallow. I was expecting at least some companion quests like in New Vegas. It would've been a lot better if they wouldn't court you (or vice versa) until you'd proven your loyalty and done their quest instead of just "ooh shiny amulet, me love you now". Although I think I'd be pretty heartbroken if Vorstag turned around and told me he really liked me just not in that way.

They try to explain away the simplicity with lore. If you go to the Temple of Mara, someone will explain marriage to you, and say that people in Skyrim don't have time to court, so you wear this amulet to show that you're available and eventually someone will respond in the affirmative. Bam, marriage.

AEREC

that doesn't tell me if any of the armor or weapons level with you. only shows what level the weapon will be when you first obtain it.

Well on that page it does say:

"The items do not improve in quality when your character levels up."

So if you go the armor at a low level then you will be stuck with low stats.

Ore is cheap and you don't need to farm for it.

boom. Plus using the tanning stations doesn't improve any skills so there really is no reason to do it when it seems like every blacksmith in the game is coded to have roughly the same number of iron bars as leather strips at any time. It's super easy.

edgefusion

They try to explain away the simplicity with lore. If you go to the Temple of Mara, someone will explain marriage to you, and say that people in Skyrim don't have time to court, so you wear this amulet to show that you're available and eventually someone will respond in the affirmative. Bam, marriage.

I knew about that explanation as I already got married (to Benor, yuck! Divorce please) but it just smacks of a poor excuse so Bethesda can be lazy when it comes to relationships. Is the game trying to tell me the farmer guy and innkeeper girl in the quiet rural village are just too busy to get to know one another?

Dresden

Marriage was just tacked on so bioware fans could feel good about marrying virtual waifus. I wouldn't give it much thought.

Dash27

I've got my Legendary Ebony bow (Pierced Souls is its name <3 ) at 131 damage plus 25 magicka damage. If they don't see me coming, I completely wreck shit. If they do see me coming, two arrows later and it doesn't matter anyway (I love the 50% faster draw perk. You don't realize what a difference that makes until you have it.)

This is right about what I want to get, somewhere in the 150ish range on damage. Not the crazy 1200+ damage bows I've seen posted. What did you do to get it there? I have smithing at about 90, I'll max that tonight. Enchanting and alchemy are not particularly high though.

Coverly

How did you make your ebony bow legendary? I have 100 smith but it only says i can make it 'flawless'.

scy

How did you make your ebony bow legendary? I have 100 smith but it only says i can make it 'flawless'.

Ebony Smithing Perk + 91 Smithing = Legendary Ebony Equipment.

No Ebony Smithing Perk + 196 Smithing = Legendary Ebony Equipment.

As I see it Bethesda just put some fast marriage stuff so modders can make awesome characters/relationships when the toolkit is out akin to Willow in FNV or Vilja in Oblivion.

Astra

I loved the companion quests in New Vegas, and it would have been great to have them here. The reward being a nice upgrade to their stats, or weapons.
Even better, like New Vegas, companions should supply you with a specific perk.
Boone in New Vegas had spotter, I think. Made enemies glow?
So, Aela could have a similar perk provided to you, that would basically give you a permanent detect life effect (only for enemies, though. Would get annoying seeing everyone in town glowing).

Correct me if I am wrong, but enemies don't show up on your compass as red dots until they're in attack mode, right? Well, another useful companion perk would be having enemies show up on your compass, even when they aren't in attack mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is right about what I want to get, somewhere in the 150ish range on damage. Not the crazy 1200+ damage bows I've seen posted. What did you do to get it there? I have smithing at about 90, I'll max that tonight. Enchanting and alchemy are not particularly high though.

Put a couple perks into enchanting so my enchants in general would be stronger. Drank an enchanting potion, quickly created smithing necklace, ring, armor, bracers. Got 19% increase on each to a total of 76% increase. Put that on, then drank a Blacksmith's Draught (40% increase in smithing). Created Legendary Ebony bow.

Using that with a necklace that adds 31% to archery and Krosis helmet (improves archery by 20%).

That's how I got there.

gdt

Created and enchanted a full set of Dragon Scale armor, finally. No Dragon Sword? Guess I need the Deadric perk to create a Deadric sword?

Marriage was just tacked on so bioware fans could feel good about marrying virtual waifus. I wouldn't give it much thought.

I agree 100%. I think they should have either fleshed out the mechanic a little more, or held off on it all together for DLC. It would make a nice "bonus" for those that bought the DLC. You can go on an epic quest line to restore a family's honor or some such shit, end reward is a wife that gives you benefits based on your choices/actions. For example save the warrior chick from getting killed, have a permanent wife/companion that is better or more fleshed out than the ones from the main quest. Pick the alchemist's daughter and have easy access to a wide range of difficult or costly potions, because of her skill. Etc...

They could do something cool with it, but they kind of screwed the pooch by letting us marry in the main game. Now we're stuck with a shitty mechanic that didn't have to be that way.

Zeke

so quick question is Hern the only person that can
turn you into a vampire
or is there any other way? I already killed him doing a DB contract fyi.

To be honest the trivialization of followers and relationships is so obvious that I don't really know if it was just laziness, low priority or neglected altogether.

so quick question is Hern the only person that can
turn you into a vampire
or is there any other way? I already killed him doing a DB contract fyi.
You can just fight random vampires and have a good chance to get the illnes.

Top Bottom