• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Astra

So enchanting question...I have the
Black Star
can I use it to enchant without breaking it?

Yes, you can use it repeatedly without worrying about it breaking.

So, I lost one of my companions. I sent her home, and she left and vanished. I went back to where she usually is, and she isn't there. It's been over a week since I dismissed her.
I had this happen with Lydia before, however I didn't dismiss her, she just... vanished. She showed up at Breezehome days later.

So my question is, can a dismissed companion be killed on the way back to their area?
I just figured they essentially warped back there once they left the particular area you are in when you dismissed them.

Anyone?
I miss my companion. =(
She had some very valuable armor on her.

rexor0717

I got turned into a vampire last night. Had no idea what was going on or how to cure it and let it reach stage 4. Took forever to get rid of it. Wish I had played around more with the powers.

Its incredibly annoying to be a vampire. You run the risk of fast travelling and arriving hated by the entire town.

What hope is there that they'll make the Thalmor Embassy accessible with patching. By process of elimination I definitely think I missed the Stone in there which means I have an uncompletable quest.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Human souls can only be caught with a Black Soul Gem.

Black Soul Gems can only capture human souls, unless you get the
Black Star (not Star of Azure)

It's worth it. Black Soul Gems are pretty rare and I don't even know if you can buy them. I find maybe 1 Black Soul Gem in 50 if I'm lucky.

Astra

To my knowledge no, both aren't affected by one another.

However, I do believe you need the perk "Arcane Smithing" (or whatever it's actually called) to upgrade an enchanted piece of armor or weapon.

Black Soul Gems can only capture human souls, unless you get the Black Star (Star of Azure).

It's worth it. Black Soul Gems are pretty rare and I don't even know if you can buy them. I find maybe 1 Black Soul Gem in 50 if I'm lucky.

You can buy them from that dude in the College of Winterhold who sells "forbidden" items.
He usually has one, and restocks every few days.

joshcryer

GhaleonEB, damn you, I was going to watch Community but I have to complete that quest now, haha (I literally just read the first part of your spoiler, didn't even read the whole thing).

JohnLacke, thanks man, good to know, I have about 3-4 black soul gems, but they're all filled, going to start doing some enchanting soon on worthless weapons. My Ebony Bow is really wanting to be enchanted. :D

GhaleonEB

I would craft a helmet from your skull, pee in it and place it on Ulfric Stormcloak's head
which is currently adorning the walls of Windhelm

I still love you, man. But you're rebel scum.

No worries.
I enjoyed taking down a good 40 Imperial scum, all of whom fell in 1-2 shots, as we ravaged Whiterun. The Jarl didn't even put up a fight. I expected better after that tough talk of his. I expect all Imperials are similarly all talk. :p

Astra

JohnLacke, thanks man, good to know, I have about 3-4 black soul gems, but they're all filled, going to start doing some enchanting soon on worthless weapons. My Ebony Bow is really wanting to be enchanted. :D

No problem. I knew someone else sold them too, so I looked it up, and it's Falion in Morthal.
It is a bit of a pain filling regular grand soul gems. Only the Mammoths seem to have Grand Souls. I am not aware of any other creature that contains a Grand Soul. Kind of ridiculous. Giants should, right? They have Greater Souls, though.

Man, this game has it out for me. I was headed to finish up the The Way of the Voice -- I have a level 11 Breton who wields one-handed swords with a lot of magic as necessary. I ran into a troll and tried to set it on fire -- when that didn't work, I ran for the town -- stepping my game up to lightning bolt with the aid of townsfolk, we dropped the bitch. I started looking around because I kept having random damage -- a random frostbite spider came out of nowhere. Killed that too... still saw a random red dot on the compass and couldn't leave well enough alone, so instead of carrying on, I looked around a bit. I finally saw it; a bear eyeballing me from across a bridge. As I sat there thinking "can I take a bear?", my mind was made up for me and the bear came to give me a hug. I did not survive. :(

after doing the
mission to get proof of dragon summoning from someone where i have to give up all my armor and i got everything from the chest, why does it say recover your equipment?

Aeon712

Seems like every time I go to my inventory or look at weapons to buy the damage of my current weapon is never accurate. A weapon with the same damage or weaker will always appear to be stronger. This happening to anyone else?

Seems like every time I go to my inventory or look at weapons to buy the damage of my current weapon is never accurate. A weapon with the same damage or weaker will always appear to be stronger. This happening to anyone else?

The weapon you're equipped with will show stats boosted by your skills and equipment. The merchant's weapons that are on sale will just show how its attack power without the boosts.

No problem. I knew someone else sold them too, so I looked it up, and it's Falion in Morthal.
It is a bit of a pain filling regular grand soul gems. Only the Mammoths seem to have Grand Souls. I am not aware of any other creature that contains a Grand Soul. Kind of ridiculous. Giants should, right? They have Greater Souls, though.

Draugr Death Overlords, The strongest Draugr I'm aware of, can have Grand.

Astra

Draugr Death Overlords, The strongest Draugr I'm aware of, can have Grand.

Thanks, that's great if they do. I encounter them all the time now, but never bothered using Soul Trap since I have so many filled greater, common, lesser and petty soul gems.
Would sure beat traveling to all the Giant camps and killing innocent Mammoths.

okenny

Banned
One of the Daedric Quests, The Only Cure, requires a Flawless Ruby.

Plenty of flawless everything has dropped in my many hours of playing except the flawless sapphire. I've had a quest for almost 200 hours now that I can't finish because I have one of two flawless sapphires ;_;

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks, that's great if they do. I encounter them all the time now, but never bothered using Soul Trap since I have so many filled greater, common, lesser and petty soul gems.
Would sure beat traveling to all the Giant camps and killing innocent Mammoths.

You should really just get the Black Star.

(1) How do I tell which disease I'm afflicted with?
(2) Anyone else have problems viewing their bookshelf in Breezehome after dumping a ton of books into it -- I've had it where the "activate bookshelf" doesn't do anything and I can't figure out why... :(

The Black Star makes me feel incredibly evil. I go out and harvest souls from Whiterun guards. Their bodies don't seem to disappear fast enough so they pile up and the residents keep on acting shocked whenever they come across one. Its the same body you knelt over yesterday you stupid Battle-Born.

BadData

Question about enchanting:

Does it matter if you enchant something before or after upgrading it?

In a way it matters... unless you have a special Blacksmith perk, you can't upgrade an item with an enchantment on it. So unless you have that perk, you'll want to do your upgrade before you do your enchantment.

okenny

Banned
(1) How do I tell which disease I'm afflicted with?
(2) Anyone else have problems viewing their bookshelf in Breezehome after dumping a ton of books into it -- I've had it where the "activate bookshelf" doesn't do anything and I can't figure out why... :(

The booksheilf in that city is bugged like the none-working sword rack :( I swear I'm moving to Solitude after I complete the main quest. Worst 5000 I've ever spent... scratch; the home in Markarth is the worst 8000 I've ever spent ;_;

bengraven

Fuck, this mage underneath
Honeybrew Meadery
is fucking raping me with lightning bolts.

I had to tone down difficulty on him and a couple other "boss" fights (couple bandit chiefs, Silverhands, a
ghost
in the final Companions quest). It's seriously disturbing that every enemy you face in a dungeon up to a boss is able to be one shotted then you get a damage sponge boss that rapes you in 2-3 hits.

Mods my friend, mods.

Rich Merchants Mod

Fucking finally.

Thank you.

The booksheilf in that city is bugged like the none-working sword rack :( I swear I'm moving to Solitude after I complete the main quest. Worst 5000 I've ever spent... scratch; the home in Markarth is the worst 8000 I've ever spent ;_;

Sword rack in the bedroom of Solitude house is broken for me. I put one of my "super secret" Daedra staffs on the right side, but no matter what I put on the left, it ends up dropping onto the floor when I reload the save.

Speaking of which, nothing I place by hand stays. In my Solitude house I put a mammoth tusk on a chest, the horn the Jarl of Solitude gives you for a quest that you're supposed to put on a grave (I put it on the grave, grabbed it again and still got to finish the quest) and a couple of statues of Dibella on the end tables because my wife and I are freaky like that.

Every time I enter the house they are lying on the floor.

Ghosts or bugs (ingame or metagame)?

In a way it matters... unless you have a special Blacksmith perk, you can't upgrade an item with an enchantment on it. So unless you have that perk, you'll want to do your upgrade before you do your enchantment.

Yeah sorry, should have mentioned I have the Blacksmith perk to upgrade magical equipment.

Now I just gotta increase my enchanting level so my enchants don't suck.

ced

Ugh I have had very little issues for 60 hours on the 360 version. Patched today, installed to HDD and after playing an hour it's stuttering so bad it's unplayable, then it locks after I die.

Astra

I have the Black Star. However, I find it more convenient to have a decent supply of Grand Souls when I do enchanting, as I tend to enchant several items at once.
Just recently, I smithed, upgraded, and enchanted a set of Dragonplate Armor for a companion. It'd be inconvenient to fill the black star, enchant, fast travel somewhere, fill it again, and repeat for every article to enchant.

You can buy filled Grand gems, just nab a few. Not like the gold is needed for anything else.

I do that as well, but it never hurts to have too much. I usually never let them sit around, and always enchant something, if even just to try out different styles of fighting.
I made a sword for my companion with paralyze and fear. So they try to flee, but they're too paralyzed with fear to move. =P
I made a Bow of Frost-Fire for myself, frost and fire damage. It's a nice conflicting piece of weaponry. I love watching the enemies shine blue, and burst into flames.

okenny

Banned
Thanks, I had a little trouble with a Blood Dragon!

He did have a Dragon Priest helping though, so that was a bit unfair.
It seems like the level of damage you can deal to a dragon increase faster than each dragons spec the higher you both level but their ability to one-shot you also increases significantly. I found that I could seriously mess up an Elder Dragon but if I'm less than 3/4 of my health then he could one-shot me. I'm currently at 238 armor and 260 health. By one-shot, I mean a tail bash or a locking me in his jaws so they don't seem like magical attacks....

Does the game consider a melee attack from a magical creature such dragon as an attack that does magic damage?

okenny

Banned
Ugh I have had very little issues for 60 hours on the 360 version. Patched today, installed to HDD and after playing an hour it's stuttering so bad it's unplayable, then it locks after I die.

I have not installed this patch and when I booted up tonight, it wasn't offered. Did Beth pull it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Been looking over the retexture options for the Nightingale armor, damn is there some cool stuff out there.

I really like the Scarf version which would make my Khajiit tail seem much more reasonable with the set...
Nf9Tz.jpg

but the Nightingale Prime version is just so damn slick...
vgIJ7h.jpg

Wish I could get the latter with the scarf!

Astra

I'm on one of the first quests since joining the legion, the one where
you must recover the crown before the stormcloaks. So we get inside, and there's a group of Stormcloakes. Rikke says "On my mark, we charge". All the while I'm in stealth mode picking them off with arrows. By the time the Legionaires charge in, there is one guy left, and I pick him off as he comes down the stairs
I'm the goddamn Dovahkin!

Been looking over the retexture options for the Nightingale armor, damn is there some cool stuff out there.

I really like the Scarf version which would make my Khajiit tail seem much more reasonable with the set...
http://i.imgur.com/Nf9Tz.jpg[IMG]

but the Nightingale Prime version is just so damn slick...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vgIJ7h.jpg[IMG]

Wish I could get the latter with the scarf![/QUOTE]

How do I get this armor?

Spoiler as necessary.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do I get this armor?

Spoiler as necessary.

The basic version is given in a story-related portion of the
Thieves' Guild
questline which starts in Riften. It's the armor I'll be using for the rest of the game, and there are some really nice-looking mods like the two above.

My tail currently sticks ridiculously through the cape.

Thieves' Guild
questline which starts in Riften. It's the armor I'll be using for the rest of the game, and there are some really nice-looking mods like the two above.

Thanks.

So the
Theif gear they've already given me gets replaced as I do more thief quests?

joshcryer

Thieves' Guild

It's my primary armor, too. So far it's my most powerful armor. I don't think I'll change it up any time soon as it's seriously kickin'.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thieves' Guild

Fuuuuuuuck. The only disappointment I have with this game was this quest line getting bugged for me.

sidequest question: got a boa
t ride to some island in the north, to kill some kind of pirate. i could enter a cave from a hideout there, but decided to postpone it until i've killed the leader. now when i killed the leader, i noticed the entrance to that cave was blocked by rubble. what happened there, and was it worthwhile to explore? i wonder why they would do that.

this is still bothering me.

Top Bottom