• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want that armor soooooooo bad, but fuck the
Thieve's Guild
. Is there ANY other way to get it?

nib95

Banned
Nah. Just someone isn't fond of his land being occupied.

I'd be cool with that if they weren't so damn racist. But as is I think it's better the Imperials are in power. If the Stormcloaks were, you can bet there'd be so much more discrimination and hatred towards the minority races or anyone who wasn't Nord. Funnily enough it's those other races (especially Dark Elf) doing some of the scummy jobs that keep Winhelm functioning.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm almost ready to make my uber equipment, but is there any such thing as equipment with a fortify enchantment enchantment, or is that all from potions?

Astra

I'm almost ready to make my uber equipment, but is there any such thing as equipment with a fortify enchantment enchantment, or is that all from potions?

Just from potions, as far as I know. I think the strongest potion you can make is +32%.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Blah, that's just grand. I was running through Irkngthand after the relevant quest because I had left some excess weight in a chest toward the end. It seems that, as due to the events during the quest, the primary exit is inaccessible, and there's an unclimbable cliff just before that, so now I have to reload. :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can I slaughter the
Thieve's Guild
after I get the Nightingale Armor? That would kinda make me feel better. I'm not sure if I can justify screwing over innocent people, still. SKYRIM ETHICS IS SERIOUSNESS BUSINESS.

Milly79

Oh, I'll probably never get the master. :lol Still chilling with the
Skeleton Key
for the moment.

I can't remember, does that come before or after you do the 40~ quests in the other major cities? If not, be prepared for a long road... It's well worth it though.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Don't forget it can be improved with void salts.

Damn, I must've missed that, thanks for that!

Thieve's Guild

If you're on PC you can type this into the console (access the console via ~):

player.additem xxxxxxxx 1

Codes for the armor are:

Nightingale Armor 000fcc0f
Nightingale Hood 000fcc13
Nightingale Gauntlets 000fcc11
Nightingale Boots 000fcc0d
Nightingale Bow 000f652c
Nightingale Blade 000f6527

I don't get the ethics part of this, I am a completionist so I do every quest that I can possibly do, and then when all that I have left are the generated worker quests, I consider it beat.

I only used the console once in this to give myself Thieves Guild Boots that I accidentally sold. Apparently you can't buy them back anywhere and you need to have them if you want to upgrade 'em. I don't consider it too bad of a cheat (so hopefully your ethics are OK!)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Can I slaughter the
Thieve's Guild
after I get the Nightingale Armor? That would kinda make me feel better. I'm not sure if I can justify screwing over innocent people, still. SKYRIM ETHICS IS SERIOUSNESS BUSINESS.

No, most of the NPCs in that area are invincible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
re: finishing thieves' guild quests
I'm not sure I care to. I used the Guild for my own purposes... I got the unexpected bonus of the
Skeleton Key
in the bargain and got the only revenge I actually care about. The petty corruption of Riften under the thumb of the Black-Briars is of little interest to me. :p

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I'm not sure I care to. I used the Guild for my own purposes... I got the unexpected bonus of the
Skeleton Key
in the bargain and got the only revenge I actually care about. The petty corruption of Riften under the thumb of the Black-Briars is of little interest to me. :p

Interestingly that won't build your Lockpicking skill as fast as using a regular one, because when they break you get skill points (and Lockpicks are ridiculously common, at least they are for me as a thief). I got rid of it even though it was a nice thing to have. Apparently there's another way to get it doing some artifact collecting quest, if I can't finish that quest I'll have to ... cheat again to get it, so I can complete this thing. :)

Milly79

Skeleton Key

It nets you a lot of money, however. It's pretty fucking long though.

Protip: if you're going to do it, make sure you see where Vex and Delvin are sending you. You can take 1 mission from each at a time. Make sure you nab ones that are in same city so you aren't traveling all over the world. You'll see what I mean if you decide to do it.

pakkit

Banned

q_q

Yes, Muiri will be my wifuu. ^_^''

I don't care that she is a homicidal psycho-bitch who can only say one line even if you marry her, she is still the hottest lady in all of Skyrim.

My second favorite is Astrid, but I can't pick her for obvious reasons.

...I like the crazies, I guess.

internetbrofist.jpg

Natiko

Banned
Question!

I'm playing on the 360. I heard a patch was released that broke some stuff. Is it really that big of a deal? Should I wait until a new patch is out or can I go ahead and play anyways?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Question!

I'm playing on the 360. I heard a patch was released that broke some stuff. Is it really that big of a deal? Should I wait until a new patch is out or can I go ahead and play anyways?

It apparently broke resistances. So if you're a mage, I'd stay away. For me, all of my gear did stuff based on stealth so it doesn't matter, and it did fix the textures for the install.

People are saying stuff about dragons flying backwards and stuff, but I saw that stuff before the patch anyway. Now anytime the game glitches out people will probably blame this patch when by nature there could be some crazy bug at any time anyway.

KingK

How to you give your wife new clothes? Ysolda is still wearing those ragged peasant clothes even though I have her living in my mansion in Solitude.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How to you give your wife new clothes? Ysolda is still wearing those ragged peasant clothes even though I have her living in my mansion in Solitude.
Literally give her new clothes.

At least that's how it works with companions.

Wait...so after I finish the Imperial questline I can no longer
do any quests in Windhelm???

As far as the companion quest I never got the option
to reverse being a warewolf

For the thieves guild side quests, I'm trying to activate the
special job quests
by doing a bunch of
small jobs for Delvin and Vex
. However, I'm looking through my quest log and I've already done
five burglaries
in Riften and the specials haven't popped up yet. Anyone know why?

q_q

I used console commands. I tried pickpocketing clothes into her inventory but she wouldn't equip them. No matter what you do though, it's all in vain because they'll just revert back to their original outfit after a while, even if you take it out of their inventory. I don't use followers but I've heard this happens with them as well if you don't have them follow you long enough.

For instance the next time I walked into my house after taking that screenshot, wifey had her old raggedy dress back on and the dress I gave her was gone from her inventory. Very frustrating to say the least. It must be something with the character codes having a default outfit that they revert back to automatically. Hopefully it will be patched sometime in the near future, especially since a lot of people you can marry have mining uniforms and ugly leather armor and shit.

My Destruction magic is levelling up really quickly, not sure what all the fuss is about.

Can take out Dragons with 4 or 5 fireballs now. Rocking a Archmage Robes/
Nightingale
Armor combo!

Milly79

For the thieves guild side quests, I'm trying to activate the
special job quests
by doing a bunch of
small jobs for Delvin and Vex
. However, I'm looking through my quest log and I've already done
five burglaries
in Riften and the specials haven't popped up yet. Anyone know why?

Cause
Riften
doesn't work. You need 5 in the other 4 cities.

Korosenai

Thieve's Guild

What I did was go to Vex and do a heist job. Simple mission where you sneak into a random inn, and steal something from a jewelry box. And then for Delvin go do the numbers job. Just go to random inns and forge their numbers by tapping a on a book. You could get the 40 quests you need done in about an hour to 2 hours tops.

KingK

I used console commands. I tried pickpocketing clothes into her inventory but she wouldn't equip them. No matter what you do though, it's all in vain because they'll just revert back to their original outfit after a while, even if you take it out of their inventory. I don't use followers but I've heard this happens with them as well if you don't have them follow you long enough.

For instance the next time I walked into my house after taking that screenshot, wifey had her old raggedy dress back on and the dress I gave her was gone from her inventory. Very frustrating to say the least. It must be something with the character codes having a default outfit that they revert back to automatically. Hopefully it will be patched sometime in the near future, especially since a lot of people you can marry have mining uniforms and ugly leather armor and shit.

Oh ok. Yeah, that sucks. Hopefully they just patch in some way to tell your wife and/or companion what items in their inventory you want them to equip.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice, yall. I'm not sure if I want to collude with those people, but it might be worth it.

So ... I've just been told to get the Staff of Magnus but have no clue where it might be, nobody told me "it might be near X" or "ask around Y". Is the "show on map" function really the only clue you get on this?

And here's a slightly off-topic question: Skyrim sorta got me interested in the Bethsoft Fallout games (couldn't get into Fallout 2 because battles seemed to take foreve, such as the metric ton of rats in that building near where you start out). If I like Skyrim, will I like F3 or New Vegas better? Plus, are both really that unplayable on PS3?

Posted this a few pages back, anyone have any ideas?

So I'm doing the main quest and I'm working my way through Skuldafn and I'm at the part where you use the Diamond Claw to open the door. I'm 100% sure I'm putting in the right combination, but the door won't open. I heard that this door is sometimes bugged and won't open (which would mean I can't continue the main quest), but has anyone found a workaround for this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I'm doing the main quest and I'm working my way through Skuldafn and I'm at the part where you use the Diamond Claw to open the door. I'm 100% sure I'm putting in the right combination, but the door won't open. I heard that this door is sometimes bugged and won't open (which would mean I can't continue the main quest), but has anyone found a workaround for this?
Any help would be appreciated.

If you're on PC, you can probably just noclip right through it.

The Chef

Shouldnt the effect of potions stack if you drink multiple ones?
I drank like 10 Fortify Smithing but it made like zero difference. When I looked at my active effects it only had one Fortify Smithing effect.
Is that how it's supposed to be?

johnsmith

remember me
I drank like 10 Fortify Smithing but it made like zero difference. When I looked at my active effects it only had one Fortify Smithing effect.

They don't stack. It would be too easy to get ridiculous enchanting and smithing bonuses if all you had to do was just chug a bunch of potions.

nib95

Banned

Nope. Only the first one counts. I told you this a few pages pack dude! Hope you haven't been wasting too many on stacking lol :p

The Chef

Nope. Only the first one counts. I told you this a few pages pack dude! Hope you haven't been wasting too many on stacking lol :p

Ahh damnit! I think I must have ignored it the first time. My greed is all consuming. I will neither admit nor deny to drinking the 22 smithing potions that I took forever to make.

nib95

Banned
Ahh damnit! I think I must have ignored it the first time. My greed is all consuming. I will neither admit nor deny to drinking the 22 smithing potions that I took forever to make.

Holy shit that made me laugh out loud. No but honestly dude, it's the game....it does strange things to our psyche. If my other half knew how many hours I was pumping in to this just to do the most mundane shit or to get random un-affecting virtual bonuses, she'd question my sanity even more than she already currently does lol.

My sister was watching me play the other day, enchanting, smithing, making potions. She was like...so is this like...a store or job simulator type game or what? Looks so boring. Can't you play that Uncharted game instead? Lol.

ajf009

during my session today I decided to forgo fast travel and walk/run from Windheilm to Markarth and stop off at all the caves, towers, dungeons, etc. that I hadn't cleared out on the way there... I enjoyed it much more than the fetch quest feel that fast travel brings

The Chef

Holy shit that made me laugh out loud. No but honestly dude, it's the game....it does strange things to our psyche.

hahahaah its so true. Before I posted I had literally spent several hours looking around for Blue Butterfly wings and Glowing Mushrooms. I need to get control of my life.

scy

Depending on how you feel about glitches, there's one extra step you can take (well, two). You can do some shenanigans to get Armor Enchants onto your Weapons so you can get Fortify effects onto there. That feels a bit too much like outright exploiting though.

However, Falmer Helmet is wearable with a Circlet so you can have two helm slots. You're still capped on your Fortify Enchant effect but it gets you a few extra percentages from your Potions at the very least. I'm not sure if it's truly intentional but it's not the only case of Circlets being equippable when you wouldn't expect it (Archmage Robes are hooded and you cannot wear a helm ... but a Circlet is fine).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
during my session today I decided to forgo fast travel and walk/run from Windheilm to Markarth and stop off at all the caves, towers, dungeons, etc. that I hadn't cleared out on the way there... I enjoyed it much more than the fetch quest feel that fast travel brings

Honestly, it depends on how you use fast travel. I feel like a lot of people either don't use it at all, or abuse it. Not many people seem to use it only when they need to.

Ri'Orius

So I've been grinding my enchantment, and it's taking a long time. Is there a way to speed it up? Right now I'm just throwing Absorb Health onto Iron Daggers (also grinding my smithing, of course) with the smallest soul gems I have. I did get the Lover Stone bonus; is there anything else I can do?

'Cause by my estimation, I've got at least a hundred more daggers to enchant before hitting max...

EDIT: And frankly, is it even worth it? Even with 70+ in the skill, it looks like I can't make anything half as good as some of the stuff I've found. I mean, I suppose if I put more perks into the tree (right now I only have the very beginning +20% perk)...

Top Bottom