• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Davedough

Just finished the Mage College questline. What a fantastic dungeon for the last mission. This game continues to amaze me. The layout of the dungeon was so well done that you could actually visualize the story of what happened to the inhabitants of the ruins just by going further and further in.... and got a bomb ass mask out of the deal. =)

okenny

Banned
"Hello my love, back from some adventure i bet"

I'm tired of hearing this. :lol

I think Beth is listening. Its easy to see the sheer number of improvements thats gone into this latest evolution of TES, its a miracle of a game(!), but its even easier to the room for improvement. I hope that what ever they deliver next gen will bolster the following areas:
  • Dialog Variety
  • Cast
  • Combat and Conversational AI
  • Relationship Simulation
  • Intertwining Story Threads (this is a unicorn because it can break so many things... finding out you just locked yourself out of 3 20 hour quest-lines because you just killed some NPC would push me into depression ;_;)

legbone

My nine year old is unusually mature. She was reading independently at age four. Now in 4th grade, her reading level tests at the upper 12th grade level (she's in the TAG program at school, as she tests in the top .1% of her peers). She goes through about one (adult) novel a day. I use games like this to discuss the issues the game presents with her, just as I used Halo to discuss religious zealotry. In this case we've discussed civil war, racial tolerance and the joys of being a paid assassin.

you sound like a great parent. people shouldn't treat intelligent kids like children. they are basically little adults when they are that advanced. i know adults that don't read at a 12th grade level.

edit: i know because i tested similar to your daughter when i was her age. i was raised by my great aunt and uncle that were in their 60's and 70's when i was growing up. they treated me the same way and i thank them for it every day (metaphorically of course, they have passed on).

sorry for the thread shit but don't listen to people criticizing your parenting method. if i had children i would do the same.

ShinNL

Just finished the Mage College questline. What a fantastic dungeon for the last mission. This game continues to amaze me. The layout of the dungeon was so well done that you could actually visualize the story of what happened to the inhabitants of the ruins just by going further and further in.... and got a bomb ass mask out of the deal. =)
That's so awesome about Skyrim. Like when I returning to Whiterun after getting my 1st word (no dragon fought yet) on my new playthrough, I met these 3 soldiers who said I had to pay a fine. I was like, hell no. I already met these kind of people in another playthrough. Since my char was extremely low level, I couldn't handle them. Strangely enough, they were named 'Soldier's and not Bandits. I ran to the Watch tower near by hoping they would help me and luckily for me, they did. When I looted them they really had Imperial clothing on. I returned to the spot where I met them and saw 3 naked dead bodies and then I understood what really happened. Pretty darn awesome for a random encounter :D

I'm really loving the game. I finished the Dark brotherhood quests a few days ago without really touching the main quest. So many things to do and stuff to explore. I haven't played many games that gave me this kind of freedom.

Only one question: Is there a easy way to kill people in a city wthout people noticing you? I've tried invisble potions, hiding on roofs but most off the times, it doesn't work for me.

Davedough

So, I've been sick the past 2 days and haven't been keeping up with current events. How is the 360 patch overall? I've been avoiding downloading it because of early reports of Magic Resistance being broken. Is it still funky and should I continue to avoid the patch for now?

My nine year old is unusually mature. She was reading independently at age four. Now in 4th grade, her reading level tests at the upper 12th grade level (she's in the TAG program at school, as she tests in the top .1% of her peers). She goes through about one (adult) novel a day. I use games like this to discuss the issues the game presents with her, just as I used Halo to discuss religious zealotry. In this case we've discussed civil war, racial tolerance and the joys of being a paid assassin.

How to be rebel scum, you mean?

I kid, I kid. Sounds like an excellent way to make games more "worthwhile" for young kids. If I ever have some of my own, I'll try and remember that.

Gotta love that you used Halo to discuss reglious zealotry. That's creative thinking.

So, I've been sick the past 2 days and haven't been keeping up with current events. How is the 360 patch overall? I've been avoiding downloading it because of early reports of Magic Resistance being broken. Is it still funky and should I continue to avoid the patch for now?
We're getting a fix next week.

Spat_triate

I'm really loving the game. I finished the Dark brotherhood quests a few days ago without really touching the main quest. So many things to do and stuff to explore. I haven't played many games that gave me this kind of freedom.

Only one question: Is there a easy way to kill people in a city wthout people noticing you? I've tried invisble potions, hiding on roofs but most off the times, it doesn't work for me.

Get the poisoner perk from the pickpocket tree. It allows you to silently kill people by dropping lethal doses of poison in their pockets.

Esch

Banned
Interesting. My dad and I played games when i was younger too. He put me on to DOOM, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans,Baldur's Gate and Mechassault as well. But he didnt talk issues or anything to me. Only tactics.

Are there any locks that are simply impossible to pick without investing perks in lockpicking? I'm 30 hours in and haven't found one yet - I think I've picked at least one lock of every "difficulty" and my lockpicking skill isn't that high. I might break 2-3 picks on a Master Lock - not a big deal. I always have at least 30-40 picks in my inventory.

Why would anyone invest in lockpicking perks when you can just get good at lockpicking and picks are nearly impossible to run out of?

Golden Touch and Treasure Hunter seem OK I guess, but you need to invest five points to get both. Doesn't seem worth it.

Dyno

Finished that one last night too. Now I'm the goddamned Dova - I mean Arch-Mage.

What to do next? I guess I'm quest hunting. Fuck the main quest! I don't care what these people want. I'm only 18th level and I don't want to be tied down with any political ideology.

Lakitu

st5fu
:lol

I think I'm seeing the problems of the patch now.

Just got done speaking to
Parthunaax and as soon as I finished, he flew backwards up into the sky. I lol'd.

Finished that one last night too. Now I'm the goddamned Dova - I mean Arch-Mage.

What to do next? I guess I'm quest hunting. Fuck the main quest! I don't care what these people want. I'm only 18th level and I don't want to be tied down with any political ideology.

The Main Quest and the Legion vs Stormcloaks quests are actually two (three) seperate questlines.

Davedough

Maaaaan... why did I advance the main storyline? I went from seeing a dragon every couple of hours to one about every 15 minutes now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are there any locks that are simply impossible to pick without investing perks in lockpicking? I'm 30 hours in and haven't found one yet - I think I've picked at least one lock of every "difficulty" and my lockpicking skill isn't that high. I might break 2-3 picks on a Master Lock - not a big deal. I always have at least 30-40 picks in my inventory.

Why would anyone invest in lockpicking perks when you can just get good at lockpicking and picks are nearly impossible to run out of?

Golden Touch and Treasure Hunter seem OK I guess, but you need to invest five points to get both. Doesn't seem worth it.

I don't even see how any perks in lockpicking could be worth it, i never bothered to look what was in there. What could they do anyway? Make lockpicks less likely to break? Improve the range at which you can turn the lock before it gets stuck?

I mean, you find so many lockpicks in the world, i dont see why i should waste perks. I had over 80 at one point.

ckohler

Which is better for enchanting: Resist Magic or Resist Fire/Shock/Cold?

I would think that Resist Magic would be better since it covers all the schools and not just one, right?

kodt

Banned

I think you could pick any lock at level 1 if you just guess the right position. The higher the lock the more strict it is on requiring the exact position and how easily picks break.

Leveling it just makes it easier. I am level 70 lockpicking and I still break at least 3-4 picks on Master or Expert locks.

I don't even see how any perks in lockpicking could be worth it, i never bothered to look what was in there. What could they do anyway? Make lockpicks less likely to break? Improve the range at which you can turn the lock before it gets stuck?

I mean, you find so many lockpicks in the world, i dont see why i should waste perks. I had over 80 at one point.

The best perk makes all lock-picks unbreakable, but you need 100 lock-picking for that. The others just make locks easier to pick really. There is one that will give you the key for any lock you pick so you can re-open it later (for doors that re-lock).

kvn

Just finished reuniting Skyrim.

The questline was
laughably bad and boring. I mean come on, conquering a dozen forts and that's it? Even Whiterun and Windhelm where not quite different. Totally disappointing in my opinion. And what the fuck at Ulfric? That dumbass was down in two strikes (lvl 25, two-handed). He didn't even shout or anything like that. A total waste of time.

Arjen

I just fought my first Elder Dragon after 72 hours.
He was a fire breather, so i thought, pfff no biggie, i strap on al my fire resistance gear which is over 100% with my Dunmer ability, and start shooting arrows. He lands, spewing fire at me , which i laughed at, and i ran to him swinging my sword.
Then he fuckin ate me, one bite, and im done.
I stared at the screen for a couple of minutes with my mouth open.

I think you could pick any lock at level 1 if you just guess the right position. The higher the lock the more strict it is on requiring the exact position and how easily picks break.

Leveling it just makes it easier. I am level 70 lockpicking and I still break at least 3-4 picks on Master or Expert locks.

The best perk makes all lock-picks unbreakable, but you need 100 lock-picking for that. The others just make locks easier to pick really. There is one that will give you the key for any lock you pick so you can re-open it later (for doors that re-lock).

It's astonishing how poorly implemented lockpicking is. Sadly they'll probably use that as an excuse to remove it entirely in the next game.

TheMan

I just wish that being the arch-mage mean something. There seem to be no perks at all to the title, aside from having a nice room at the college.

Mik2121

Man, when I first started playing the game I was all the time around Whiterun, doing missions for the Companions, and it truly made me feel like the Dragonborn!. But after getting done with Whiterun I decided to go to Riften and try the Thieves guild, and it feels like a completely different game, lol. I'm this scummy guy burning shit, stealing from people... surely not what the Dragonborn would do, lol.

I will clear out the whole Thieves guild quest-line before getting back into the main quest (I left it before visiting the Greybeards)....

The questline was
laughably bad and boring. I mean come on, conquering a dozen forts and that's it? Even Whiterun and Windhelm where not quite different. Totally disappointing in my opinion. And what the fuck at Ulfric? That dumbass was down in two strikes (lvl 25, two-handed). He didn't even shout or anything like that. A total waste of time.

He
shouted when I fought him. Blew Tullius and Rikke halfway across the room. :lol

I killed him with a Shout, myself. Good times.

ShinAmano

Random Skyrim Question of the Day:

Is there a list out there of how to create good (the best) potions...ie ingrediants needed?

I have a box in my house full of hundreds of ingrediants that i just store over and over...fighure it is a good time to make some potions.

Also is the DB Quest Dark Brotherhood Forever just ongoing?

q_q

The questline was

I agree. Very lazily done and very unimaginative. Some parts of this game are awesome but some other parts seem like Bethesda didn't even try.

Phreaker

So can Lydia die or did she glitch out on me and is walking into a wall somewhere? About 8 saves ago she just disappeared...

She can die by your hand or DoT spells IIRC. I did have her glitch out on my once though and I thought she was dead, but she was in my house.

It amuses me that people play a game for like 75-100+ hours then go. I think the game is broken my guy is too powerful. Well no fucking shit.

ROFL

Arjen

Random Skyrim Question of the Day:

Is there a list out there of how to create good (the best) potions...ie ingrediants needed?

I have a box in my house full of hundreds of ingrediants that i just store over and over...fighure it is a good time to make some potions.

Also is the DB Quest Dark Brotherhood Forever just ongoing?

This

Amazing spreadsheet for alchemy. made by a gaffer, can't remember his name sadly :(

Is anyone aware of a way to divorce and remarry through console commands?

I married Camilla, the sister at the Riverwood Trader, and I'm getting pretty damned tired of her letting me know how wonderful it is to have the golden claw returned to her.

Atruvius

If you have trouble getting some good arrows I suggest farming at Solitude. There are two archers at the courtyard practicing. Put an arrow that's better than steel in their pocket and wait 24 hours. They should now shoot the placed arrow type at the targets. I got 545 ebony arrows in about 40 minutes that way. Don't have to buy arrows anymore!

ShinAmano

Thanks for the responses...so to make the good potions I assume you just need to use multiple ingrediants that share the same effect? Oh I see...also need high alchemy to get the really good stuff. <- Does that include just overall number or would I have to use perk points to buff it up?

scy

Thanks for the responses...so to make the good potions I assume you just need to use multiple ingrediants that share the same effect? Oh I see...also need high alchemy to get the really good stuff. <- Does that include just overall number or would I have to use perk points to buff it up?

Two ingredients with the same effect gets you that effect on the Potion; adding a third doesn't boost it barring a few rare cases of certain ingredients being better than others.

And your Alchemy Level and the Perks are both used to determine the effectiveness of the Potions.

GhaleonEB

Wait... what? I understand your daughter being a genius, but are you trying to show how intelligent you are as well by discussing the deep meaning of games? :|

You're like that kind of dad that tries hard to impress his daughter :D

No, I'm just aware of the content she is exposed to (or which I expose her to) and discuss the issues they raise as appropriate. I call it parenting. :p
How to be rebel scum, you mean?

I kid, I kid. Sounds like an excellent way to make games more "worthwhile" for young kids. If I ever have some of my own, I'll try and remember that.

Gotta love that you used Halo to discuss reglious zealotry. That's creative thinking.

This might sound odd, but we talked about 9/11 because of Halo. She asked why the Covenant want to kill humans. I thought about it, and asked what she knew about 9/11. She knew the broad outlines, and I used that as a stepping stone to talk about how that kind of extremism can lead to violence. We didn't get that deep into it, just touched on the subject, but it presented a chance to connect some dots.

Fitz

Has anyone had an issues with the Treasure Maps recently? On two separate characters now the treasure chest for map 1 just outside of
Riverwood
hasn't been appearing for me, and I've definitely got the map in my inventory on both characters.

If you have trouble getting some good arrows I suggest farming at Solitude. There are two archers at the courtyard practicing. Put an arrow that's better than steel in their pocket and wait 24 hours. They should now shoot the placed arrow type at the targets. I got 545 ebony arrows in about 40 minutes that way. Don't have to buy arrows anymore!

!!! I consistently have enough Ancient Nord arrows to never need anything else, but this...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is anyone aware of a way to divorce and remarry through console commands?

I married Camilla, the sister at the Riverwood Trader, and I'm getting pretty damned tired of her letting me know how wonderful it is to have the golden claw returned to her.

Since divorce is not actually an option in Skyrim, you can do the following if you are not happy with your choice of marriage. (PC)

&#9632;Kill your spouse (better if you do it while staying in your house, to avoid bounty)
&#9632;Enter console command Setstage RelationshipMarriage 10
&#9632;Use console commands resurrect on your ex-spouse (and eventually use command setrelationshiprank player 4 on him/her to keep the relationship status obtained with the npc related quests)
You DON'T need to drop or sell your old Amulet of Mara. But remember to wear it while looking for a new partner.

It works, i got rid of Ysolda and got a new one. But im not sure if the resurrect command is necessary, i tried to do it and she never came back to life and i was still able to marry a new woman.

Mik2121

WTF?? I'm on this Orc settlement called Largashbur. I killed one of them by accident and it said the orcs in this settlement were against me, so I decided to sneak in at night and kill everybody.

Everything went smooth until I got to the chief. I beat him, and he's there sitting on the ground. Then he wakes up, says I have to pay 1000 or die, so I tell him to fuck off and, surprise, his life bar is full again!. So I beat him again (which takes forever, btw) and the same shit happens. I decide to pay 1000.. hey, maybe because of the bounty I cannot kill him? So after paying 1000 coin (wtf..) I attack him and surprise, his bar is full again. I kill him again and the same.. he's just sitting there, then tells me to pay.

WTF :S This guy cannot be killed??

Edit: I just saw there's a quest related to them. Guess I will try to reload before killing the first orc... :/

Edit 2: Oh wow, I don't have any save from before killing that guy so I guess I'm out of this quest :(

I'm sure I'm way behind but at level 40, with my archery at about 85, I just found some woman in a cabin that leveled my archery up about 5 levels for free just by having me do some simple target shooting.

I love little surprised like that.
Anyone actually complete the final test? Shit was hard!
I made this mistake, too. :/ Might just say fuck it and use my points to go right also. Meh.

Yeah I'm almost lvl 50 and I haven't seen a daedric bow drop or be up for sale and I want one =/

Davedough

WTF?? I'm on this Orc settlement called Largashbur. I killed one of them by accident and it said the orcs in this settlement were against me, so I decided to sneak in at night and kill everybody.

Everything went smooth until I got to the chief. I beat him, and he's there sitting on the ground. Then he wakes up, says I have to pay 1000 or die, so I tell him to fuck off and, surprise, his life bar is full again!. So I beat him again (which takes forever, btw) and the same shit happens. I decide to pay 1000.. hey, maybe because of the bounty I cannot kill him? So after paying 1000 coin (wtf..) I attack him and surprise, his bar is full again. I kill him again and the same.. he's just sitting there, then tells me to pay.

WTF :S This guy cannot be killed??

Edit: I just saw there's a quest related to them. Guess I will try to reload before killing the first orc... :/

Edit 2: Oh wow, I don't have any save from before killing that guy so I guess I'm out of this quest :(

I've had something similar. Back when I was a mere level 12ish, I ran into an orc out on the road who gave me some attitude. I looked at her and said, "I'm the God damned Dovahkiin, bitch!" and proceeded to slaughter her with ill repute. I had noticed that a bounty was put out there but didn't think anything of it.

Fast forward 20 levels and I'm hunting Ebony Ore. Well, there was an Orc establishment guarding a mine I wanted to get into, they asked me to get them some gloves and they'd allow me into their fort, so I do so. I go talk to the Chief, forgetting I had any kind of bounty on my head and he got about halfway through his dialog, then soon the entire encampment got hostile.

A lot of greenskins gave their life for my ebony ore that night.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Am I the only one who is apparently exactly as good at lock picking as the game assumes? Am I stupid or something?
I tried picking a master lock when I was around level 10 and maybe broke 20 lock-picks almost running out. It screwed me for every other lock in the dungeon. I'm finding lock picks hard to find en-masse and definitely am investing in the main line of lockpicking perks.

Similar situation, people are using mods to put more money in merchant's pockets, and it strikes me as odd when that's a speechcraft perk. People can play how they'd like, but that just seems like people not wanting to make hard decisions?

I guess I'm bad at TES.

I Joined Stormcloaks and am ready to return the axe to Ulfric against Whiterun, which then starts a big battle (I already did this but reverted to a previous save) Does this mean that Lydia is no longer my companion (as she wasn't in the battle with me)? Does she return after? What about my house!? So confused about what this means for my character.

Also my framerate was atrocious during that fight.

Right now I'm considering whether I should strip lydia of all my stuff as well as the house. In the mean time just doing other quests. Halp!

Top Bottom