• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

q_q

Is anyone aware of a way to divorce and remarry through console commands?

I married Camilla, the sister at the Riverwood Trader, and I'm getting pretty damned tired of her letting me know how wonderful it is to have the golden claw returned to her.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Marriage#Notes

Check that out. I think you may need to kill Camilla though. And yeah Bethesda really half-assed the whole marriage thing. You can't dress your spouse, and they always greet you as if they aren't married to you, but just some random NPC in the game. Whatever.

I could upgrade the armors but not the sword, it doesn't show up in the menu :(
It worked for me mane...

Might be a bug for you or something.

Just finished the Mage College questline. What a fantastic dungeon for the last mission. This game continues to amaze me. The layout of the dungeon was so well done that you could actually visualize the story of what happened to the inhabitants of the ruins just by going further and further in.... and got a bomb ass mask out of the deal. =)

Yeah it was great, only thing I didn't like was how short the overall quest line was, it really seemed incredibly quick to becoming arch-mage, are the other organisation quests as quick? I'm part way through the thieves guild one and it seems to be taking a bit longer, though being stealthy does that anyway I suppose.

q_q

Yeah it was great, only thing I didn't like was how short the overall quest line was, it really seemed incredibly quick to becoming arch-mage, are the other organisation quests as quick? I'm part way through the thieves guild one and it seems to be taking a bit longer, though being stealthy does that anyway I suppose.

Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood take longer, but not quite as long as in Oblivion. Companions is about as quick as Mage's College.

edgefusion

Am I the only one who is apparently exactly as good at lock picking as the game assumes? Am I stupid or something?
I tried picking a master lock when I was around level 10 and maybe broke 20 lock-picks almost running out. It screwed me for every other lock in the dungeon. I'm finding lock picks hard to find en-masse and definitely am investing in the main line of lockpicking perks.

Similar situation, people are using mods to put more money in merchant's pockets, and it strikes me as odd when that's a speechcraft perk. People can play how they'd like, but that just seems like people not wanting to make hard decisions?

I guess I'm bad at TES.

Do the thieves guild quests and you'll come across an item which will solve your problem and save you perk points.

oktarb

Am I the only one who is apparently exactly as good at lock picking as the game assumes? Am I stupid or something?
I tried picking a master lock when I was around level 10 and maybe broke 20 lock-picks almost running out. It screwed me for every other lock in the dungeon. I'm finding lock picks hard to find en-masse and definitely am investing in the main line of lockpicking perks.

A lot of people think perks I lock picking is a waste of perks. I leveled to 70 just to get the +50% to finding magic items in chests perk. Don't see how that can't be good.

Some tips on lock picking:

+ Breaking a pick gives you some exp. If you have picks to burn find a lock a break a ton on picks off in it.

+ The city or Markarth has a Dwemer Museum. There's about 20 cases in there to pick.

+ Short on lock picks? Seems 80% of the people in Skyrim carry a lock pick. Pickpocket them, soon you'll have a ton and your pick pocketing skill will rise.

+ The sweet spot stays in the same place so if you get close but the pick breaks head back to that same area. On master locks use graphical scratches on the lock as a reference point.

+ Tired of picks? there's a thives guild quest that gives you a skeleton key that never breaks. Just don't complete the quest and you can keep it.

Davedough

The only two I've done are Companions and Mage... they both were relatively fast. I too just started the Thieves Guild and hope it doesn't finish up as quick. I'll be doing DB after this.

Aurora

Lockpicks were hard to come by for me until I started the Thieves' Guild questline, then you get a virtually infinite supply. Also, make sure you save before attempting an Expert/Master chest. Move the RS very slightly, and if you feel the slightest resistance let go and try on another angle. Once your pick starts to move, keep the movement very slow, and again let go with the slightest bit of resistance. That way you will never break more than 2-3 locks, and if you do you can just reload and try again.

Volimar

I still don't have the game yet, but I was wondering what everyone's impressions of the crosshairs/stealth eye are. I've watched several vids and sometimes it's kind of distracting. Is it different when you're actually playing?

aku08

i have a question for people that finished the MAIN quest and the CIVIL WAR quest lines.

i went through the main quest line and during the negotiating table scene, i gave riften to the imperials. so now maven is the jarl of riften. when i talked to her, she immediately made me thane and when i bought the house, i did not get Iona. My question is, if i finish the civil war quest and side with the storm cloaks, does the original jarl come back to power and i can do her quest to get iona?

scy

Every single character of mine has 100+ Lockpicks with minimal purchasing of them and no save/reloading on locks. Masters are the roughest and I'll still lose 2-4 picks on them. But, it's really quite easy. Nudge a bit to see if the spot is right. If not, move over a bit and try again. You get the feel for the range eventually.

Similar situation, people are using mods to put more money in merchant's pockets, and it strikes me as odd when that's a speechcraft perk. People can play how they'd like, but that just seems like people not wanting to make hard decisions?

The problem is that it's still not enough. Both perks are +1500 so you're still only getting most vendors to the 2500-3000 range. When you're trying to sell items worth 2000-ish a pop, it's a bit of a problem.

...though, money quickly becomes of no concern, so I don't really use the mod. I went Speechcrafting on my Thief character since it felt appropriate (Imperial, to boot) but it really is a bit of a lacking set. Odd that they didn't tie better equipment from vendors to the perks.

I Joined Stormcloaks and am ready to return the axe to Ulfric against Whiterun, which then starts a big battle (I already did this but reverted to a previous save) Does this mean that Lydia is no longer my companion (as she wasn't in the battle with me)? Does she return after? What about my house!? So confused about what this means for my character.

Also my framerate was atrocious during that fight.

Right now I'm considering whether I should strip lydia of all my stuff as well as the house. In the mean time just doing other quests. Halp!

Quoting for new page.

Aurora

I still don't have the game yet, but I was wondering what everyone's impressions of the crosshairs/stealth eye are. I've watched several vids and sometimes it's kind of distracting. Is it different when you're actually playing?
I haven't really had much of a problem, though it can be irritating trying to fire arrows when you have a big eye as a crosshair (albeit only when you've been detected).

Christine

I don't even see how any perks in lockpicking could be worth it, i never bothered to look what was in there. What could they do anyway? Make lockpicks less likely to break? Improve the range at which you can turn the lock before it gets stuck?

Golden Touch and Treasure Hunter get you more gold and loot from locked chests and rooms, which is kind of cool but honestly you get enough drops as it is.

Sai-kun

Banned
^epic bro

Anyways, my game is giving me this weird bug where it thinks I keep hitting the E button (interact), so I keep talking to Aela or whoever's nearby) over and over. Any help with this?

Riposte

How do the feuding elf and nord react to you if you marry that Camilla girl? Mainly if you activated both their misc quests.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
How do I get money in this game?

I'm more broke than Soulja Boy.

For unlimited money make daggers and enchant them with banish (or is it fear?) then sell em back. I got so many daggers worth so much money (2k a pop) that there isn't enough money in the economy to support all deez daggers.

thefil

i have a question for people that finished the MAIN quest and the CIVIL WAR quest lines.

i went through the main quest line and during the negotiating table scene, i gave riften to the imperials. so now maven is the jarl of riften. when i talked to her, she immediately made me thane and when i bought the house, i did not get Iona. My question is, if i finish the civil war quest and side with the storm cloaks, does the original jarl come back to power and i can do her quest to get iona?

This is super confusing to me. People keep talking about that scene, but in the course of the main quest I never saw any
negotiating table

So here's my funny Skyrim story of the day.

I was stalking somebody for a Dark Brotherhood assassination. My target was hanging around in the middle of town, lots of witnesses. So I killed some time, visited some shops, talked to some people. Finally night began to fall, and she starting moseying off towards her house. I followed her (not creepy at all), ready to take her out in the confines of her own home. She's literally ten steps from her door when behind me I hear three dreaded words from another NPC: "Everyone get inside!" And then I hear a dragon roar.

I literally shout "NOOOOOO!!!" at my TV screen as the dragon flies overhead, prompting my target to start running around town like a scared nincompoop along with all the other villagers. The dragon, unfortunately, starts terrorizing the opposite end of the town, so I have to go over and kill it, not able to let the dragon assassinate my target for me. After the dragon dies, literally everybody in the town (including my target) comes over and stands in a large group to gaze at the dragon corpse.

I facepalm.

After waiting several (game) hours, the crowd finally disperses. It looks like my target is finally going to head back to her hou- wait that's not the direction of her house. What are you doing. WHAT ARE YOU DOING! My target, at 2 in the morning, decides it's a prime time to chop some wood. Right next to a guard. Goddammit. Eventually I get tired of waiting, stab the woman in the face right in front of the guard, and get carted off to jail, where I proceed to escape and slaughter every guard in the village. I now have a huge bounty on my head if I ever return to that area of the world.

Moral of the story: Fuck dragons.

Arjen

So here's my funny Skyrim story of the day.

I was stalking somebody for a Dark Brotherhood assassination. My target was hanging around in the middle of town, lots of witnesses. So I killed some time, visited some shops, talked to some people. Finally night began to fall, and she starting moseying off towards her house. I followed her (not creepy at all), ready to take her out in the confines of her own home. She's literally ten steps from her door when behind me I hear three dreaded words from another NPC: "Everyone get inside!" And then I hear a dragon roar.

I literally shout "NOOOOOO!!!" at my TV screen as the dragon flies overhead, prompting my target to start running around town like a scared nincompoop along with all the other villagers. The dragon, unfortunately, starts terrorizing the opposite end of the town, so I have to go over and kill it, not able to let the dragon assassinate my target for me. After the dragon dies, literally everybody in the town (including my target) comes over and stands in a large group to gaze at the dragon corpse.

I facepalm.

After waiting several (game) hours, the crowd finally disperses. It looks like my target is finally going to head back to her hou- wait that's not the direction of her house. What are you doing. WHAT ARE YOU DOING! My target, at 2 in the morning, decides it's a prime time to chop some wood. Right next to a guard. Goddammit. Eventually I get tired of waiting, stab the woman in the face right in front of the guard, and get carted off to jail, where I proceed to escape and slaughter every guard in the village. I now have a huge bounty on my head if I ever return to that area of the world.

Moral of the story: Fuck dragons.

Amazing, i just love these storys

Marleyman

Banned
For unlimited money make daggers and enchant them with banish (or is it fear?) then sell em back. I got so many daggers worth so much money (2k a pop) that there isn't enough money in the economy to support all deez daggers.

Where do you get the enchancement you are talking about?

Astra

haha, the thieves guild quests
I'm doing a shill job for Vex, and she wants me to plant some evidence to muscle someone out of the picture for another client. This victim is my wife!
Are there no moral ramifications in Skyrim?

I'm don't have a single perk in lockpicking, never farmed lockpicks, and JUST joined the thieves guild literally minutes before quitting last night but my guy has well over 100 picks. I almost wish it was harder to pick locks. Seriously, it takes me 2 picks to get into Expert locks, maybe 3 or 4 to get into Master. I just spin the pick around constantly tapping the turn key, if I notice it budge I adjust once or twice and unlock it.

I visited a friend of mine a week or so ago who had just gotten the game and he was complaining about how the merchants didn't carry enough lockpicks since he apparently breaks so many. Couldn't help but chuckle. Maybe having played Fallout 3 and New Vegas I was already really use to the "minigame" - Oblivion's sucked but at least it was more challenging.

windz

The khajiit trader outside Whiterun has around 30 lockpicks for sale. If you do a /wait 48 hours you can pickup several multiple times. Check vendors too under misc.

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay so this bug is just with Aela apparently. Any time I get within speaking range to her, it just speaks to her automatically. What the hell?

Aurora

I'm not really sure what I think about the difficulty in this game. I'm playing on Expert and I really struggle to kill enemies. The only way I can kill something is with Sneak Attacks, which means I have to clear a dungeon one enemy at a time. If multiple enemies attack me I have zero chance and have to flee. It makes it more intense and exciting, but equally frustrating having to reload often.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So does magical resistance fuck up in the recent patch ruin the game to the point that it would be better to play the game after it is fixed, or is it not that big of a deal?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I guess I'm bad at TES.

Well, I didnt even bother trying to open lockpicks that were either Master or Expert when i was low lvl. Way too hard and a waste of lockpicks. As you said, breaking 20 of them for 1 chest. Not worth it.

I think the coolest moment I've had in the game so far is
going to the abandoned house in Markarth that's possessed by a demon or some shit.

Holy shit, so awesome. I love this game.

It works, i got rid of Ysolda and got a new one. But im not sure if the resurrect command is necessary, i tried to do it and she never came back to life and i was still able to marry a new woman.

Awesome, thanks so much. Now to figure out how to set Parthurnax to the marriageable faction.

Just kidding.

Kind of, that would rule.

YOL. DOVAHKIIN. I HAVE BAKED YOU THIS DISH.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
The khajiit trader outside Whiterun has around 30 lockpicks for sale. If you do a /wait 48 hours you can pickup several multiple times. Check vendors too under misc.

yeah, it's pretty easy to get lockpicks if you just pay attention when you are at vendors. Most sell at least one and everybody for the most part restocks every 24 hours so spending 20 minutes running a cycle round the country should net you quite the sum of lockpicks.

Kikarian

I'm not really sure what I think about the difficulty in this game. I'm playing on Expert and I really struggle to kill enemies. The only way I can kill something is with Sneak Attacks, which means I have to clear a dungeon one enemy at a time. If multiple enemies attack me I have zero chance and have to flee. It makes it more intense and exciting, but equally frustrating having to reload often.
I quite like the difficulty. I play master, and always have to have a companion by my side. I used to just play normal, as I didn't really think off changing the difficultly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Really? How are your skills + perks distributed? I've poured all my energy into archery, sneak, and restoration. My bow destroys even when I am detected. Do you have a good offensive option for when baddies are directly in your face?

Well, I didnt even bother trying to open lockpicks that were either Master or Expert when i was low lvl. Way too hard and a waste of lockpicks. As you said, breaking 20 of them for 1 chest. Not worth it.

I have no points in lockpicking and pick off anything.

The trick I use is a quick tap on the rotation at different points. This will tell you if you're close to the mark. Then you can start fine tuning the pick location in the same method. As soon as it struggles, let go. You'll save a lot of pics that way. I've maybe used a max of 5picks on an expert lock and that was out of lazyness.

This game improved on the difficulty scaling problem from Oblivion in a huge way but it's still possible to make the game either super easy or super hard. It's probably best to view the difficulty slider as a "gameplay tuning" slider rather than a reflection of your personal skill. What I'm saying is you should set it to a level that presents you with a challenge but isn't overpowering enough to frustrate you.

With my guy, who is a lvl 42 behemoth, I have to play on Master to see any challenge from melee mobs but then any sort of caster will turn me inside-out. It's pretty funny and demonstrates that the game's difficulty can vary wildly based on your character.

aku08

This is super confusing to me. People keep talking about that scene, but in the course of the main quest I never saw any
negotiating table

did you do the civil war quest first before the main quest? because that would make sense that
any form of negotiation is pointless at that point.

Mik2121

Did you guys know that when nobody is around, the Draugr enjoy having some sleepover at someone's tomb and read a bunch of horror stories together?

dLwkB.jpg

Astra

Say, guys...

What the hell is this woman doing?

onuYI.jpg

ORN9k.jpg

FhOLO.jpg

Anyone who has cleared
Yngvild
and read
Arondil's Journals
might have an idea.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Marriage#Notes

Check that out. I think you may need to kill Camilla though. And yeah Bethesda really half-assed the whole marriage thing. You can't dress your spouse, and they always greet you as if they aren't married to you, but just some random NPC in the game. Whatever.

My GF married Cosnach from Markarth and he greets her with unique married dialogue every time she enter the house. "I love you, dear", "I swear i haven't been drinking much, dear", it's pretty funny. It must just be an issue with certain spouses, or perhaps cosnach is the exception to the rule.

Top Bottom