• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

bengraven

Actually, you can marry her. She's listed in the guide as one of the females you can marry, it just turns out Bethesda messed up the code for her and she doesn't have the trigger to activate it when you talk to her with the amulet on. There's a console command you can use to reactivate it and marry her.

Yeah, I was considering doing that for a while, but I like Aela.

Astra

I found Aela! :D

I had her as a companion while I was doing the quest in Markarth
The Forsworn Conspiracy
. I got to the part where you go to the
Shrine of Talos to inform that dude about Thonor and Nepel, or whatever his name is. The guards confront you, pin the murders on you, and take you to Cihdna Mine. Well it was at this point I killed the guards, and then dismissed Aela, and then turned myself over.
So I finish up the quest, and Aela isn't back at Jorrvaskr, and is nowhere to be found. I figured she was dead in the wild. So for the hell of it, I decided to check back in Markarth. She was where I dismissed her, in
the Shrine of Talos, but when I returned, the guards confronted me again with the same dialogue about pinning the murders on me. What the hell?!

Either way, just glad Aela is still alive. She had a Daedric Artifact on her.

Um... well then...
I dismissed Jordis for a second, so I could have Aela follow me, because I wanted to recover the equipment she was carrying. After I dismissed Jordis, and asked Aela to follow me, Aela said I already had someone. It was at this point that Jordis attacked and killed Aela.
Jealousy?

So I walk into Whiterun and these three hired thugs attack me. So I shout and send them flying 20ft away. Then I run up to them to start slashing and a Whiterun guard walks up and locks me into a conversation. So I'm rapidly mashing B to get out of the dialogue while the three thugs beat me to death.

Fun.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just got the game for the 360 for $35 brand new from KMart. Time to slay some shit and steal all I can carry.

Question: should I play offline until the new patch or should I just update and go?

nib95

Banned
Does a site have all the potential wives listed with pictures? So far my faves are Miura, the girl who wants a Kajit trading post in Whiterun and the Bard girl at the Inn in Solitude. Don't know if the latter can be wed.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Does a site have all the potential wives listed with pictures? So far my faves are Miura, the girl who wants a Kajit trading post in Whiterun and the Bard girl at the Inn in Solitude. Don't know if the latter can be wed.

Cutest character in the game.

I stupidly chose an Imperial, whose benefits seem worthless as shite. And I'm waaay too far in to change at this point. Oh well. This game is awesome, but the side-quests don't feel as fun. I loved ranking up in the Figthers or Mages guild and moving to different areas. These ones seem short, and you pretty much start running the places after what feels like 2 days of service.

scy

Found some mods to readjust the difficulty upwards and scale down leveling. Mmm, yes. Hard mode here I come (I hope).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally, after all this time, I started properly smithing. I went from junk steel but good armor to dwarven and then to orcish. I hunted down some more orichalcum to properly improve all the armor I build. I went from about 180 to 215 in armor in about 20 minutes of work. Enchanted that stuff too so I got some smithing, HP, magicka, and HP regen buffs on top of the 25% magicka regen my bracelet gives me and 10% HP regen my ring gives me. AND I crafted a dwarven warhammer which had a 62 rating and flawlessly sharpened it into 75. I got much better since I sat down and properly started doing this. Now I don't feel quite as weak.

This was the first time in about 47 hours of game that I sat and properly did this. I've had tons of raw materials building up too. I'm near the top of the skill tree's in enchanting and smithing too so I can't wait to add more perks and be able to make some Ebony stuff.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Dragon Armor is fucking UGLY.

Both the Light and Heavy versions, the stats are good but damn it's so hideous, I'm mad that I wasted my perks on this crap. -_-

Dragon Armor is fucking UGLY.

Both the Light and Heavy versions, the stats are good but damn it's so hideous, I'm mad that I wasted my perks on this crap. -_-

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous looking.

I thought I read that you can't loop around in the perk constellation and you have to choose between dragon or daedric. Is that true?

Dresden

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous looking.

I thought I read that you can't loop around in the perk constellation and you have to choose between dragon or daedric. Is that true?

not really, dragon is the 'max' so you can't go past that so you either go glass -> dragon or daedric -> dragon.

BLACKLAC

Just got the game for the 360 for $35 brand new from KMart. Time to slay some shit and steal all I can carry.

Question: should I play offline until the new patch or should I just update and go?

Honestly I've yet to run into any major problems post patch. Dragons are fine so far and I've only had a couple lockups while wondering the wilderness.

Level 45 battle mage, 98 hours (around 30 hours post patch). The texture problem was fixed.

I don't use resist enchants though.

Holy SHIT! I just went for a long wander in the wilderness. Pretty sure I was jumping up to a plane so steep I was pretty sure you shouldn't be able to go there and found some place called 'Kagrenzel'. Needless to say, I had stumbled upon a fucking AWESOME dungeon. I won't spoil what happens when you find it, but it is quite literally the perfect example of how well designed the world of this game is. GODDAMN!

gdt

Holy SHIT! I just went for a long wander in the wilderness. Pretty sure I was jumping up to a plane so steep I was pretty sure you shouldn't be able to go there and found some place called 'Kagrenzel'. Needless to say, I had stumbled upon a fucking AWESOME dungeon. I won't spoil what happens when you find it, but it is quite literally the perfect example of how well designed the world of this game is. GODDAMN!

Approx location?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Honestly I've yet to run into any major problems post patch. Dragons are fine so far and I've only had a couple lockups while wondering the wilderness.

Level 45 battle mage, 98 hours (around 30 hours post patch). The texture problem was fixed.

I don't use resist enchants though.

Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up.

GhaleonEB

Far east on the map, on the edge really. Parallel with Steamcrag camp (East of it) in the steamy swamps. You gotta climb all the way up the icy mountainside. It's steep, but keep going.

This is now on my to-do list for tomorrow. I'm in the mood for a dungeon. Today, I wandered the countryside in search of a specific dragon I had a bounty on.

Some amusing things I discovered along the way.

If you climb up a steep mountain road, encounter a bear, have 100 Archery skill and land a paralyzing shot, causing the bear to roll down the mountain, you can use Unrelenting Force to send that bear tumbling into the distance with amazingly comic speed.

If you are sneaking up on the dragon (so indicated by the dragon icon on my map), and you know it's right over the rock ridge above you, do NOT get distracted by the pretty ore vein in front of you and start mining it. The dragon will hear you. Bad things will happen.

If you have level 100 in Archery, don't get cocky when fighting a Blood Dragon. Because archers aren't used to taking much damage, and they'll toast you like a marshmallow in front of a blowtorch.

Do not climb into a small, open door shack thinking that will protect you from a Blood Dragon. It will land, set up camp directly in front of the shack, peek inside, and begin roasting. It's like walking into an E-Z Bake oven. Really wish I could have taken a good pic of the dragon peeking in at me. It looked like it just found an unusually great Cracker Jack prize.

Had an amazing fight on the golden, forested bluff south of Riften at dawn. Thank goodness a couple of necromancers drew ol' Bloody's ire, or I wouldn't have stood a chance. That and Become Etherial saved my bacon.

This game.

I look forward to hearing what you guys thought. Its great when you expect something you stumble onto randomly to be really shallow, but the game decides to surprise you.

I just keep wandering into new places today. Just found a beautiful looking cave. Exploring now. It seems full of bears and lots of waterfalls.

I swear this game is worse after the patch. Half the time my shouts don't work, my character freezes, and I'm getting terrible frame rates in almost every dungeon, wtf!

GhaleonEB

I look forward to hearing what you guys thought. Its great when you expect something you stumble onto randomly to be really shallow, but the game decides to surprise you.

Speaking of which, I found a fort today down south. I think it was called Eastwatch or something. Found a man inside who wanted me to help him find his wife, who he thinks was captured by the bandits inside. Spoiler stuff.
His wife was the bandit chief, and had left him. I dissevered this first by killing her, no questions asked, then reloading and talking to her first. She gave me her ring to give to him. I then killed her (paralyzing shot then pounded arrows into her body like she was a board and I had a nail gun). I returned the ring to the guy without telling him his wife was A) a bandit and B) dead. He runs off to talk to her, and my next objective is to go back an talk to her to tell her I gave her the ring.
I left, but I'm pretty sure I broke the quest. I'll check tomorrow to be sure.

gdt

Yeah, since the new patch, I can't store/trade anything. Huge pain :/.

Can't even give shit away/drop anything.

Speaking of which, I found a fort today down south. I think it was called Eastwatch or something. Found a man inside who wanted me to help him find his wife, who he thinks was captured by the bandits inside. Spoiler stuff.
His wife was the bandit chief, and had left him. I dissevered this first by killing her, no questions asked, then reloading and talking to her first. She gave me her ring to give to him. I then killed her (paralyzing shot then pounded arrows into her body like she was a board and I had a nail gun). I returned the ring to the guy without telling him his wife was A) a bandit and B) dead. He runs off to talk to her, and my next objective is to go back an talk to her to tell her I gave her the ring.

Dude! I stumbled upon that today as well.
Only I left her alive and left the husband with some hope that he should keep looking. I nearly missed that quest, since I used AURA, saw somebody was behind the wall and primed my bow, until he told me to come close.

Dresden

Ah, I remember that quest.
I was like, cool story dude, then I killed them both. May they rest in peace.

Really I just wanted her armor because steel plate is cool lookin'.

Today is turning out to be an amazing day discovery wise for me. Just found Black Briar Lodge aka my new mansion.

Edit - And now just discovered what must be the path to Morrowind.

gdt

I'm semi cheating and looking up all of the locations where you stumble into a quest (a named quest). There are
24ish
of them.

Problems post-patch on 360:

- Freezing/glitchy dragons : Two dragons are in permanent glitch mode, flying backward at high speed, attached to quests that can't be dropped. If you manage to shoot them with an arrow, they speed up. They can cover 20% of the map a second, you'll never catch them. The animation is glitchy, the path is glitchy, and if you try to keep one engaged, the framerate slows to 3-4 a second.

- Resistance glitch : its all gone.

- Frame-rate drops : every 2-3 minutes, seemingly randomly on the map, the frame rate will slow to a 3-4 a second crawl for about 15 seconds. Well, its not actually the frame rate, the entire game is slowing down.

Good job Bugthesda, feeling real good about buying your DLC.

NBtoaster

Strange..there's a Blood dragon stuck underneath Solitude. I haven't killed a dragon anywhere near solitude, and it's body isn't dissolved. And it has no gold on it's corpse, so I've probably looted it already before :x Oh well, I hope Solitude is happy with it's new dragon tree.

tesv2011-12-0319-45-1mbxn7.jpg

Firebrand

What the hell... I assume this is a new 1.2 "feature":

(Companions questline spoiler)
Went to the Skyforge when I spotted Skjor alive and well, walking around Jorvaskarr :/

I wonder if that's gonna stick on my savefile if I keep playing. Eh. I'm done with that stuff anyway.

Hazanko

Banned
Problems post-patch on 360:

- Freezing/glitchy dragons : Two dragons are in permanent glitch mode, flying backward at high speed, attached to quests that can't be dropped. If you manage to shoot them with an arrow, they speed up. They can cover 20% of the map a second, you'll never catch them. The animation is glitchy, the path is glitchy, and if you try to keep one engaged, the framerate slows to 3-4 a second.

- Resistance glitch : its all gone.

- Frame-rate drops : every 2-3 minutes, seemingly randomly on the map, the frame rate will slow to a 3-4 a second crawl for about 15 seconds. Well, its not actually the frame rate, the entire game is slowing down.

Good job Bugthesda, feeling real good about buying your DLC.

I noticed frame rate drops too. It didn't notice many before the patch and I had completed the main quest and did many of the guild ones. So I think I've played long enough to notice a change. My issues don't seem to be as bad as yours though.

The only thing I've noticed on 360 post-patch is the framerate, and while brief, it's still there.

They trying to reach parity with the PS3 version or something? Jesus.

Anteater

Thought I went the wrong way and climbed a mountain to my destination but I landed on the rooftop on top of the bandits and killed them all by sneak, all according to plan, bet the bandits at the entrance didn't see that coming!

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
damn it, why did I wait until I've almost finished the game to complete the Companions questline? Unlocks some of the coolest features in the game!

This game is awesome.

I just wish:

a. My choices had more far-reaching consequences. If I join the Legion, I am not immediately hated and hunted down in Stormcloak territory and vice versa. A few times assassins have been sent to kill my by
the dark brotherhood
. This is cool. I would like more of this to happen, even if it would make traveling in certain areas very difficult. I don't mind it being difficult and I don't mind not being able to complete EVERY single quest in the game. If I become a thief and join the thieves guild, maybe I shouldn't be able to join the Legion. Or the Companions. Or any organization that reviles the thieves. That sort of thing.

b. I was able to kill ALL NPCs, regardless of their importance to the main quest. If I want to kill the Blades after they've revealed themselves to be jerks, I should be able to!

c. The NPCs better reacted to my growing powers and status. I am now Dumbledore, yet people still treat me like I'm some dork from the Mage University. Can't you imbeciles see my robes? I am Gandalf, motherfucker, not some freshman dumbass majoring in restoration.

I haven't played Oblivion or Morrowind, but I understand Skyrim is a much better game than those, so I hope the next iteration addresses my concerns in some way while expanding the world even further. This is an amazing game. I am 32 hours in and nearing the end of the main quest line, but I haven't even scratched the surface of what the world has to offer. So fun!

Also, bugs of skyrim:

surprised the game didn't crash when I ran through this void. I've had the disappearing heads occur as well. I think it's RAM issue. If I close Firefox, I don't often have these issues.

now the "kill hagraven petra" quest is bugged too. i didn't free the npc to walk with me before killing her is what might have bugged it, just my guess. it's annoying that you can't cancel quests. now i have a second bugged quest beside red eagle.

they are side by side too on the map.

This thread kind of moves at light speed, but I have a few dumb questions.

I think I'm only about level 17 but closing in on about 40 hours. Basically, I'm trying to play the game naturally with a desired result of an uber one handed/shield/light armor/archer.

My question really is about smithing and enchantments. I don't really grasp these two elements in the game. I'm sporting non-enchanted elven armor at this point in the game. My questions I guess would be no. 1 with enchanting. Can I only enchant an item once? If I use exploits to boost my smithing and enchanting early will the game be impossible? I kind of don't get the scaling. If I spend a bunch of perks in smithing and enchanting won't I be underpowered? Like my one-handed is about 51, but I recently went from destroying shit to doing like minimal damage. I'm worried if I level smithing and enchanting too fast I'll make the game impossible.

Also, I really want to improve my speech skill to get good money for loot.

I'm afraid of spreading myself too thin. If I spend too many perks in enchanting/smithing/speech, won't my combat abilities suffer?

Dresden

This thread kind of moves at light speed, but I have a few dumb questions.

I think I'm only about level 17 but closing in on about 40 hours. Basically, I'm trying to play the game naturally with a desired result of an uber one handed/shield/light armor/archer.

My question really is about smithing and enchantments. I don't really grasp these two elements in the game. I'm sporting non-enchanted elven armor at this point in the game. My questions I guess would be no. 1 with enchanting. Can I only enchant an item once? If I use exploits to boost my smithing and enchanting early will the game be impossible? I kind of don't get the scaling. If I spend a bunch of perks in smithing and enchanting won't I be underpowered? Like my one-handed is about 51, but I recently went from destroying shit to doing like minimal damage. I'm worried if I level smithing and enchanting too fast I'll make the game impossible.

Also, I really want to improve my speech skill to get good money for loot.

I'm afraid of spreading myself too thin. If I spend too many perks in enchanting/smithing/speech, won't my combat abilities suffer?
The extra damage from getting better gear - and enchanting said gear - will outweigh any boost you could get from perks. If you want to boost those two sets of perks, boost away with no fear.

Christ, I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading about this patch. I'm glad I didn't bother downloading it. I'm new to Bethesda games - how long does it usually take them to get their act together?

nib95

Banned
Seriously, my character is such a boss. Named him Nordaheem (un-original I know lol).

NIBZYDovakhinBoss.jpg

NIBZYDovakhin3.jpg

NIBZYDovakhin2.jpg

Also I LOVE Solitude. My fave city now. Less diverse or elaborate than Markarth, but just more homely and picturesque. Beautiful stone work, grand architecture, amazing culturally rich decorations, warmth, life, kids running around in the streets, flowers, banners, robes, gorgeous mountain in the backdrop etc etc. Decided it's going to be my main city of residence. People here are much nicer than other places in Skyrim too.

So, I'm compiling a list of new tweaks the patch gives:

- 50% more crashing to desktop within the hour.
- Stripping Dragons of models so you are fighting a 16-bit monster (works with saved games!).

Log4Girlz

So, last night when I was playing a Dragon starting flying into a tree, and like...stayed there flapping his wings against the tree. Ok let me go attack this thing...he starts flying backwards away from me, and I'm never able to reach him.

Top Bottom