• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yeah it can be overwhelming if you let if get to you. Just gotta focus on individual questlines etc.
Oh no I definitely not complaining my favorite aspect of the game is the exploration of the world so seeing that map and how much I have left to find was a "fuck yeah" moment.

3phemeral

We do it for the power, the glory, the riches.

The abilities are awesome. And if you feel guilty, just do another playthrough where you follow your personal moral code.
3AQmK.gif

KorrZ

Isn't it funny how the little things in this game can be the most memorable?

Randomly exploring around on my way to Markarth I can across a place called
Bards Leap Summit
a nice little place above a massive waterfall. Random cool little event spoilers:
so there I am standing at this little plank diving board above a gigantic waterfall, the name of the place giving me some idea of what I was supposed to do, but the drop looked like certain death. So, I decided to explore the remainder of the area before I took my leap of faith.

A little bit further in I found some Hagravens standing around a word wall, I made quick work of them and went to claim my word of power. It was another word in the Become Ethereal shout, it was at that moment that it all came clear! I ran over to the little jump point, used the shout and jumped off. Upon landing a ghostly figure of a Bard playing a lute appeared on the shore. He told me a quick story about how he'd stood atop Bard's Leap Summit and played a song before attempting the jump himself, and that I could see how that turned out for him.

I got a +1 to speech skill and then he just stood around playing a tune. As I bid him farewell and went on my way.

clashfan

Is there any disadvantage to using companions? Do you get less experience points? I find the game more fun with companions. I was dying too much playing alone.

3phemeral

Speaking of A Night to Remember:

When I did the quest I never saw a hagraven named Moira like it shows on the Wiki. I'm assuming it's because Ysolda was my wife and since I ran in to my house after theq quest, she already did the ring part, so I skipped a step? Or something?

I apparently missed a whole story section also, even though I completed it. I haven't gone into checking online for more details, but just from the bit about the
ring and the wedding details
, I figured I could probably investigate further into it, so I was surprised when I finished it and didn't realize until later that I forgot about a big section that was mentioned midway through. I just got sidetracked by a bunch of other quests that I didn't realize it before it was too late.

3phemeral

Is there any disadvantage to using companions? Do you get less experience points? I find the game more fun with companions. I was dying too much playing alone.
They tend to get in my way if I don't constantly manage them. Sometimes I'll tell them to stay behind, but if they're close enough to me battling, they'll chase after the enemy. Sometimes they'll disappear completely, only for me to find them back at some old dungeon where I initially gave the "Wait here." command like 40 quests ago.
LLShC.gif

I'm not sure how other people handle it, but they get in the way for me unless I can really strategically use them. Especially as a mage where I like to keep my distance at first, they tend to get overwhelmed by a large group of enemies and suddenly die because they got caught in my rune spell.

I kind of agree. I am using Dragonbone Armour, but I like the look of the other armour sets better. Of all the heavy armours, I actually prefer the steel plate.

However, I created a new character a while back and made him skinny and was surprised how terrible some of the "native" armour sets looked on him. Specifically the scale armour that the dude in the trailer wears. It looks awful on him because of his skinny arms.

With high smithing you can upgrade alot of the armors close 2 or past the armor cap.

They tend to get in my way if I don't constantly manage them. Sometimes I'll tell them to stay behind, but if they're close enough to me battling, they'll chase after the enemy. Sometimes they'll disappear completely, only for me to find them back at some old dungeon where I initially gave the "Wait here." command like 40 quests ago.
LLShC.gif

I'm not sure how other people handle it, but they get in the way for me unless I can really strategically use them. Especially as a mage where I like to keep my distance at first, they tend to get overwhelmed by a large group of enemies and suddenly die because they got caught in my rune spell.

I love when my companion and summons box me in in room :/ Thank god for no clip mode lol

Btw, playing as a summoner focused mage using light armor, I keep getting rocked in huge fights. What kind of armor values should I be looking for in gear? Should I just start making my own?

bengraven

I apparently missed a whole story section also, even though I completed it. I haven't gone into checking online for more details, but just from the bit about the
ring and the wedding details
, I figured I could probably investigate further into it, so I was surprised when I finished it and didn't realize until later that I forgot about a big section that was mentioned midway through. I just got sidetracked by a bunch of other quests that I didn't realize it before it was too late.

It happened to me in Fallout 3. I went to Megaton before doing the Three Dog portion of the main quest and lost about an hour or so of the MQ because of this.

To be honest, on my first and so far only character playing on Expert difficulty, I basically can't get by without a companion. Many more encounters would just flat out be impossible. Also, maybe I can't marry my Mistress of Decay and Cannibalism, but she knows she has my heart.

Okay Ghaleon, that was a fucking AWESOME looking cave. Though it was just Darkwater Cave and came out Darkwater Pass. I saw the stones and the tree you mentioned as well. Nothing about Snaplig on my map. Heh.
Did you also rescue the trapped dude?

3phemeral

I love when my companion and summons box me in in room :/ Thank god for no clip mode lol

Btw, playing as a summoner focused mage using light armor, I keep getting rocked in huge fights. What kind of armor values should I be looking for in gear? Should I just start making my own?
Honestly, I've no clue when it comes to armor stats. Right now I'm just using Jagged Crown with a bunch of fortified Magika + destruction armor I find on quests. I normally cast frenzy from a huge distance away, and this will cause most to mid- and low-level enemies to fight until there's just one or one really powerful one. After that point, I bait them to chase me, where I just constantly cast Fire Rune spells on the floor in front of me, causing them to blow up before they get a chance to hit me.

For semi-tough situations, I won't dual-cast rune and I'll have a healing spell going on simultaneously while I cast on the floor. For super-tough ones, I'll switch to conjure/battle mode and whip out my mace and hack while running around and having familiars spread out the enemy groups.

Seriously, I love how I'm forced to create different strategies that are all satisfying.

Hazanko

Banned

Making your own gear is better because you can improve it. I'm using a conjurer battle mage and it's fantastic. I've hardly had any issues. I use heavy armour though. I also use bound sword, I know normal ones can be better but my summons do most of the damage plus if you get the oblivion perk you can hit your summon to banish it, so no getting stuck.

3phemeral

It happened to me in Fallout 3. I went to Megaton before doing the Three Dog portion of the main quest and lost about an hour or so of the MQ because of this.
That sucks. I've never played fallout, but I would hate to miss something significant like that. Thankfully, there's so much stuff in this game I don't feel too cheated. And even with as much depth this game has and how complex it is, I really want to do another run-through even though I'm already hitting 124 hours and not once attempted the main quest (still no dragons!).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Isn't it funny how the little things in this game can be the most memorable?

Randomly exploring around on my way to Markarth I can across a place called
Bards Leap Summit
a nice little place above a massive waterfall. Random cool little event spoilers:
so there I am standing at this little plank diving board above a gigantic waterfall, the name of the place giving me some idea of what I was supposed to do, but the drop looked like certain death. So, I decided to explore the remainder of the area before I took my leap of faith.

A little bit further in I found some Hagravens standing around a word wall, I made quick work of them and went to claim my word of power. It was another word in the Become Ethereal shout, it was at that moment that it all came clear! I ran over to the little jump point, used the shout and jumped off. Upon landing a ghostly figure of a Bard playing a lute appeared on the shore. He told me a quick story about how he'd stood atop Bard's Leap Summit and played a song before attempting the jump himself, and that I could see how that turned out for him.

I got a +1 to speech skill and then he just stood around playing a tune. As I bid him farewell and went on my way.

NEED that shout. Thanks for its location!

Honestly, I've no clue when it comes to armor stats. Right now I'm just using Jagged Crown with a bunch of fortified Magika + destruction armor I find on quests. I normally cast frenzy from a huge distance away, and this will cause most to mid- and low-level enemies to fight until there's just one or one really powerful one. After that point, I bait them to chase me, where I just constantly cast Fire Rune spells on the floor in front of me, causing them to blow up before they get a chance to hit me.

For semi-tough situations, I won't dual-cast rune and I'll have a healing spell going on simultaneously while I cast on the floor. For super-tough ones, I'll switch to conjure/battle mode and whip out my mace and hack while running around and having familiars spread out the enemy groups.

Seriously, I love how I'm forced to create different strategies that are all satisfying.

How is the destruction tree? I've been dabbling in it and it doesn't see too powerful, though my destruction magic is only 30 something. Nice strategy with frenzy, I should give that a try.
My fights usually have me entering the room with a bound sword and a flame summon behind me. I usually run up and just start swinging til my hp is low, then run heal and come back for more. I think my obsession with collecting souls is at the root of these often fatal tactics lol. Gotta fill those gems

Making your own gear is better because you can improve it. I'm using a conjurer battle mage and it's fantastic. I've hardly had any issues. I use heavy armour though. I also use bound sword, I know normal ones can be better but my summons do most of the damage plus if you get the oblivion perk you can hit your summon to banish it, so no getting stuck.

Yea I've been mainly using bound sword for most of my fights too, though I feel like its a bit too weak, I think its damage rating is only 16 or so. It has helped get my one handed to 60 though lol. I have a glass mace for backup when the mana runs dry. I think I also have a tendency to run ahead of my summon, should learn to sit back and let them do the work lol. Have you gotten the Daedra summon yet? I have it, have enough mana to cast if but nothing happens :/

Yea I've been leveling smithing but have only been making daggers, think its about time to actually do something useful with the skill lol.

Sharp

I definitely think the big inefficiency for me as a mage has been illusion. I've been totally ignoring that tree until very recently, but it's damn useful. Why take your enemies out when they can do it themselves?

3phemeral

How is the destruction tree? I've been dabbling in it and it doesn't see too powerful, though my destruction magic is only 30 something. Nice strategy with frenzy, I should give that a try.
My fights usually have me entering the room with a bound sword and a flame summon behind me. I usually run up and just start swinging til my hp is low, then run heal and come back for more. I think my obsession with collecting souls is at the root of these often fatal tactics lol. Gotta fill those gems

Yea I've been mainly using bound sword for most of my fights too, though I feel like its a bit too weak, I think its damage rating is only 16 or so. It has helped get my one handed to 60 though lol. I have a glass mace for backup when the mana runs dry. I think I also have a tendency to run ahead of my summon, should learn to sit back and let them do the work lol. Have you gotten the Daedra summon yet? I have it, have enough mana to cast if but nothing happens :/

Yea I've been leveling smithing but have only been making daggers, think its about time to actually do something useful with the skill lol.

It's so-so for me, so far. I've only unlocked about half, and I'm one level away from getting Expert Destruction, so it may improve significantly after that. The mid and lower level enemies easily die with a few rune spells.

I mean, for random bandits and initial enemies you encounter, it's super easy having about 60 percent of the perks on the tree filled up. It's only where I meet briarhearts, chiefs, and Restless/Draugr Deathloards that cause problems for me, then I have to switch modes. The Frenzy/Rune combo works pretty well for me as you can cast Runes from an incredible distance. Frenzy is pretty much limitless distance wise, so even if I don't hit anyone with it, it causes them to actively search their area, appear on my radar and allows me to develop a strategy based on how many there are. usually that means finding a close spot to I can actually hit them more directly. But it works well.

I used to hate Fury because it doesn't work on mid-level enemies -- that was until I discovered I had Frenzy the entire time and forgot about it. Frenzy is absolutely amazing because of it's AOE effect versus Fury, which requires super accuracy from afar.

any word on Under New Management being fixed if you sold a piece of the guild armor.. Has it been patched or at least been validated as a bug that will be fixed? :( So annoyed

Hazanko

Banned

No, I don't have it just yet. My Conjuration lvl is around 69. The only thing I can think of making that summon not work, is it being out of range. If the pointer is red, it won't cast. other than that, I don't know.

gate777

FYI

For anyone that has completed the deadric quest "pieces of the past", you can go back to the shrine and the deadra respawn again giving you easy access to deadra hearts for smithing purposes. The temple inside also resets and you can loot it again. I got some nice enchanted equipment my 2nd time through and a lot of ebony/gold/moonstone ingots.

Doodis

I don't mean to complain or anything, but after making a gajillion iron daggers to level up smithing and make dragon armor, I'm a bit disappointed in the actual look of it. Pretty boring. Anyone else agree?

32 hours in, level 14. Loving this game. I wish I had more time to play it. I hope there will be DLC expansions which add even more quests and new areas.

bengraven

On the last DB quest.

Now I know why someone once said "wait, they're not going to let me do it...oh, I didn't think they'd let me do that in a TES game - guess not...OH SHIT I'M REALLY GOING TO DO IT".

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Loving the world of Skyrim, not really digging the combat though. I feel like I am just swinging my sword when confronted head on and praying it connects.

I am playing a thief with high level sneak.

Loving the world of Skyrim, not really digging the combat though. I feel like I am just swinging my sword when confronted head on and praying it connects.

I am playing a thief with high level sneak.

You're doing it wrong.

You're not swinging your sword. You're sneaking behind your opponent with one or two daggers at the ready, waiting for the right moment to pounce and cut open their throat and letting their lifeless body drop to the floor like a sack of potatoes.

Daggers. Dark Brotherhood armor/robes. Assassin's Blade sneak perk. 30x damage to backstabs.

DO IT.

xxracerxx

You're doing it wrong.

You're not swinging your sword. You're sneaking behind your opponent with one or two daggers at the ready, waiting for the right moment to pounce and cut open their throat and letting their lifeless body drop to the floor like a sack of potatoes.

Daggers. Dark Brotherhood armor/robes. Assassin's Blade sneak perk. 30x damage to backstabs.

DO IT.

I meant more so when a group of hired goons confronted me out of Whiterun and kept whooping my ass. I have been through a few dungeons and the backstab works wonders. It is mainly the head on encounters that is rough.

Dresden

He's talking about those times when you have to fight, though.

I just preferred using a single dagger over dual wielding, overall. Mainly because with the block runner perk, I could sneak at full running speed by keeping my guard up. You basically glide across the floor.

And bashes are just too good.

Also Shadow Warrior (the max sneak perk) lets you sneak attack them in the face, in open combat, so there's that.

So I beat it just now.

Rather disappointing ending. Everyone is all "meh. Alduin's dead. That's cool. I guess."

Also.
I killed Shadowmere. Jumped off the Throat of the World.

TTG

Anyone got a tip for the "The Cursed Tribe" quest? I'm only at level 14 here, wtf did I just walk into? *flies off the map for the third time in a row*

edit: ah, the old dance around a tree with a bow move. Except now he keeps blasting Lidya off the face of the earth

It is so wonderful to know how the game ends after only playing it for 6 hours so far and not even out of Whiterun yet. Blah.

I didn't say how it ended. I didn't give any specifics of any quest. It's my fault for not tagging it before, but please don't act like what I wrote was in any way about anything in particular.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It is so wonderful to know how the game ends after only playing it for 6 hours so far and not even out of Whiterun yet. Blah.

You're still good. What he posted was vague enough so that your mind is filling in blanks right now....enjoy the rest of the experience worry free!

xxracerxx

I didn't say how it ended. I didn't give any specifics of any quest. It's my fault for not tagging it before, but please don't act like what I wrote was in any way about anything in particular.
How am I to know that the names and situations you mentioned are not the end of the game important stuff when you wrote "just beat the game....."

You're still good. What he posted was vague enough so that your mind is filling in blanks right now....enjoy the rest of the experience worry free!

thank you, my mind is probably doing just that.

Ashodin

That one Daedric
cannibals
quest. I was surprised as FUCK that you could
slaughter them all and save the priest!
FUCKING AWESOME.

Cystm

That one Daedric
cannibals
quest. I was surprised as FUCK that you could
slaughter them all and save the priest!
FUCKING AWESOME.

You fool!
Kill the priest and you get a ring that allows you to regen health by consuming the corpses of all your foes!

Edit :
Combine that with a soul steal enchant and you can steal their souls and then eat their corpses

>:D

Anyone know how to buy the house in Riften? The Jarl had said something about making me Thane when I took her quest to get rid of the Skooma dealer, I finished it and all she did was thank me. I went ahead and completed the quest for the Steward, for the Wizard, I helped one or two Argonians in the bar, a few for the thieves guild... do I just have to keep doing misc quests around the city until she offers me the position? The Jarl doesn't have any dialogue option to continue with becoming the Thane.

I definitely think the big inefficiency for me as a mage has been illusion. I've been totally ignoring that tree until very recently, but it's damn useful. Why take your enemies out when they can do it themselves?
I'm not a pure mage but I play an Archer with very high Illusion (Well... like 74 right now, about as much as my Archery at this point). I have to assume it's probably the strongest school of magic in the game, I can't imagine anything else beats it. Charming an enemy completely stops them from attacking you - even if they're mid swing. If you have the perks practically nothing is too strong, especially from a dual-cast Charm; the only things I haven't charmed were Dragons and Dragon Priests but only because I never tried (plus undead/machines are immune until you reach 100 skill) . On the same token, if there's ever more than one enemy, frenzying them and watching them fight each other while I pluck arrows into the winner's back is priceless. I mean, unless I get completely caught off guard with a 1-shot I'm invincible when it comes to fighting 70% of the enemies in the game. Not to mention how handy skills like Muffle, Candlelight, Rally, Courage, etc... are.

Cystm

Anyone know how to buy the house in Riften? The Jarl had said something about making me Thane when I took her quest to get rid of the Skooma dealer, I finished it and all she did was thank me. I went ahead and completed the quest for the Steward, for the Wizard, I helped one or two Argonians in the bar, a few for the thieves guild... do I just have to keep doing misc quests around the city until she offers me the position? The Jarl doesn't have any dialogue option to continue with becoming the Thane.

I'm not a pure mage but I play an Archer with very high Illusion (Well... like 74 right now, about as much as my Archery at this point). I have to assume it's probably the strongest school of magic in the game, I can't imagine anything else beats it. Charming an enemy completely stops them from attacking you - even if they're mid swing. If you have the perks practically nothing is too strong, especially from a dual-cast Charm; the only things I haven't charmed were Dragons and Dragon Priests but only because I never tried (plus undead/machines are immune until you reach 100 skill) . On the same token, if there's ever more than one enemy, frenzying them and watching them fight each other while I pluck arrows into the winner's back is priceless. I mean, unless I get completely caught off guard with a 1-shot I'm invincible when it comes to fighting 70% of the enemies in the game. Not to mention how handy skills like Muffle, Candlelight, Rally, Courage, etc... are.

Help out 5 different town's people, complete the jarl's quest(s) and then talk to his/her adviser to buy a house.

Top Bottom