• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Astra

This is my first time in an Elder Scrolls game, and i'm having a hard time deciding how to play it. I've played about 2 hours so far with a battle mage, using flame in one hand and a sword in the other. But lord is it hard. Is it even a viable strategy? I am having a really hard time beating the overlord guy after getting my first shout. So, how am i suppsed to play a char like that?

Also, i'm curious about playing an archer, but how do you tackle dudes in close combat as an archer?

You can punch them at close range to stagger them, but it's still not enough time to draw and arrow and shoot them. At least not without quick draw.

I went the archer route as well, for long range sneak attacks. However, I'm also proficient in one-handed for when the battle gets up close.
You could also try hiring a follower to go with you for that first Overlord. There's a Dunmer in The Drunken Huntsmen in Whiterun you can hire for 500 gold.

I stopped using destruction magic pretty early on. It has its uses, like shock and frost damage, to drain the targets magicka and stamina respectively. Draining stamina will prevent those power attacks, at least.

I'd also recommend you start leveling your smithing a bit fairly early on, and make quality weapons and armor, a good bow is especially useful, combined with sneak attacks.

Either way, the game starts out a little difficult, then becomes pretty easy as you progress. Too easy, perhaps, as I had to bump the difficulty up to Master for any semblance of a challenge. (Still not getting one, really)

Kjellson

Noob Alert!

Is it unwise to get this game for PS3 because of the lag? Or will the patch fix most of the problems? If I get the game now do I have to update before playing or is it there already? I've never downloaded a patch before so I'm new to this.

Thanks for answering.

Grisby

Well after 80 something hours I'm putting this game up. Completed all the daderic stuff, main quest, civil war, Companion and Thief stuff.

A bit disappointed in all the technical issues I had but damn, what a great game none the less. I'm a bit fatigued from it and want to move onto other games but there is so much to do. Even so I'm thinking of a second character and all of the quests that I've missed.

The dragon fights never got old for me. Just a fun time.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Okay I just got to meet
Parthenax
and holy crap did that section drag. I know people are complaining about the dialogue text in Skyward Sword, but whole section way more tedious and annoying. It must have taken at least 10 minutes to listen to all that.

Astra

Noob Alert!

Is it unwise to get this game for PS3 because of the lag? Or will the patch fix most of the problems? If I get the game now do I have to update before playing or is it there already? I've never downloaded a patch before so I'm new to this.

Thanks for answering.

I'd imagine you'd have to download the patch.
From a brand new game, it runs just fine. It's not until you get a save file at around 11 or 12MB+ that issues start becoming very apparent.

I'd wait until the patch coming out this week, and see what people on GAF are saying about the performance.

AEREC

What spell is that? Is it under your Active Effects?
Either way, try getting sent to jail, that apparently removes all effects with a duration.

I was disappointed by the fact there is no Hardcore Mode for this game. Having to eat, drink and sleep at the least. Then cooking would actually have some use!
Also, why is it nobody takes a bath in Skyrim? It should be an option, and offer you some benefits for being clean. Perhaps a rested bonus, or a speechcraft bonus for looking good and smelling nice.
You should also be able to sit at an inn, and order something to eat, that would give you various stat bonuses for a certain length of time.

I remember dirt being a toggle-able feature in the character creation of Skyrim...maybe they should have made it so you get dirty over time and swimming or baths makes it go away.

What spell is that? Is it under your Active Effects?
Either way, try getting sent to jail, that apparently removes all effects with a duration.

It's not in the active effects, it's a spell a dragon used on me. It looks like a jaw except it's made of ice. Been stuck on my character for hours now :(

okenny

Banned
I just came across the strangest thing in Skyrim just a moment ago...
a Ninroot farm
(...and of course I took it all).

AEREC

This was posted on the Steam Forums...made me lol.

jwutheheadcase said:
So I saw this adventurer in the woods and shot an arrow at the skeever next to him but missed. It hit him instead. Pow! Right to the knee. So then I went to visit him in the temple where he was being healed and ate a meal there. I didn't know it was his meal. Oh well, it was just a sweet roll and about a belly's worth of mead. He shouted "THIEF" at me so I ran instead of trying to talk to him. His life went pretty downhill from there. In fact, he developed a bit of a mental disorder where he became fascinated by all things curved. He then got put in the mental ward where people were obsessed with shoving their hands into his pockets. He got pretty ticked off about that. I hear he got his life back in order now, though, and is guarding a city somewhere.

Okay I just got to meet
Parthenax
and holy crap did that section drag. I know people are complaining about the dialogue text in Skyward Sword, but whole section way more tedious and annoying. It must have taken at least 10 minutes to listen to all that.

I loved that section. Pure, undistilled exposition.

^No, not yet. We're getting a fix next week, supposedly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why did some stupid Redguard in the Old Harron Inn decide to fight me? I killed him.

AEREC

Okay I just got to meet
Parthenax

This isnt TES: Medieval Warefare 5...there's supposed to be lengthy dialogue at some point that explains the story.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What's this about?

Latest patch broke elemental enchantments in the game for all versions. They no longer function at all, and people are purposefully playing offline to avoid downloading the new patch.

New patch hitting late next week supposedly.

Raiden

Banned
What does this bug do? And also, if you install the game on your HDD how much do the loading times improve? I really dig this game but the constant loadingtimes pull me out of it.

AEREC

Are the quests given by the Thieves, Dark Brotherhood, and Companions once you complete their questlines infinite or are there a set number?

Some are infinite. Like for the companions, there's always either a rescue mission, animal extermination mission or a kill the criminal mission.

What does this bug do? And also, if you install the game on your HDD how much do the loading times improve? I really dig this game but the constant loadingtimes pull me out of it.

Loading times improve a lot, but your textures will look like shit a lot quicker (and a lot more). That's the bug we've all been talking about.

You never played Morrowind or Oblivion on the Xbox pre-install days, I take it? :lol

AngryMoth

Noob Alert!

Thanks for answering.

I'm played about 15 hours post patch. It seems to have completely fixed the framerate issues, although I will say that its been crashing on me more often, but it doesn't really bother me since it was basically unplayable before I updated.

I would say if you have a choice get the 360 or PC version, but if you don't I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the PS3 version as long as you update it.

I've been given the task of killing a giant at Sleeping Rock twice in a row as basic bounty missions from the same guy. Will he just keep giving me the same mission over and over?

What do you need to do for that throat-slit animation? My assassin char's got an a high sneak skill with a lot of perks, yet I've never seen it. Does it require perks in one-handed too, perhaps?

Then again, I somehow hardly get any one-hit stealth kills, even with that x15 perk.

okenny

Banned
I'm played about 15 hours post patch. It seems to have completely fixed the framerate issues, although I will say that its been crashing on me more often, but it doesn't really bother me since it was basically unplayable before I updated.

I would say if you have a choice get the 360 or PC version, but if you don't I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the PS3 version as long as you update it.

The PS3 rage thread says the patch hasn't fixed the problem completely. Digital foundry released a video that shows a drastic improvement but still has points were the game play falls below 0 FPS.

Rokam

So I just got a house in Solitude and now my wife sleeps in the basement, is there any way to fix this or is she just a fan of sleeping on the floor?

Doc Evils

So I just
captured the dragon and ned to fly on it to get to Alduin right, so I decide to get some healing potions before I leave and come back and now i cant talk to the dragon

fuck this game up the butt.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What do you need to do for that throat-slit animation? My assassin char's got an a high sneak skill with a lot of perks, yet I've never seen it. Does it require perks in one-handed too, perhaps?

Then again, I somehow hardly get any one-hit stealth kills, even with that x15 perk.

It is a roll of the die I believe. I saw it within two hours.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If I don't help Madanach in the mine and kill him, will I still get my items back afterwards?

brentech

So I just got a house in Solitude and now my wife sleeps in the basement, is there any way to fix this or is she just a fan of sleeping on the floor?

My wife sleeps in my housecarl's bed at our house in Windhelm. I'm thinking about killing them both.

If I don't help Madanach in the mine and kill him, will I still get my items back afterwards?

Not entirely sure (though I would have to think there is a way) but be careful because that quest bugged the entire city of Markarth for me. Cant go anywhere in that town without the entire city guard coming after me with no way to stop it (cant pay bounty, go to jail, or persuade my way out of it). I think by killing him you avoid the bug (I stupidly did not kill him) but definitely make sure to not attack a guard once you get into the city.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow how the fuck can I kill Madanach, I have no armor, and other dudes come in to defend him.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I used magicka (both destruction and restoration) and used a shiv as well. I took him out prison style.

I tried but two other dudes come in and kill me, and the guy shoots magic and all.

edit: Ok I got him somehow. I guess using the shiv is more silent than a pickaxe:p

Chanser

So random, just had a guy called the challenger who saw my magic skills and decided to rape my ass full of fireballs. Funny thing is he's was barely naked in Winterhold.

Fezan

OK so after spending around 20 hours in skyrim i am having a issue.When i continue game it says something like the current save is oudated[0] latest is [8].
and when i manually load any of my save it say that save file is corrupt.
any solution ??

KorrZ

From my experience so far (trust me I slit many many throats with my Daedric Dagger) it just needs to be a backstab sneak attack that kills them to get the animation to play. Even if you don't kill them in one hit, if you get a second hit off fast enough before they detect you it'll still play. You need to attack with only your right handed dagger though, if you attack with both weapons at the same time the animation doesn't seem to play. Also, I'm not 100% on this one, but it seems like if you do a power attack it doesn't really play either, or at least it seems to play 90% of the time for me when i just do a normal quick tap attack.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it possible to get to (end-game spoilers)
sovengard
after beating the game ? cause DAMN that skybox was gorgeous as hell and I'd like to see it again.

Wonder how he got that to work
I was playing around with the changerace commands before but I couldn't get the camera or controls to respond properly

I think he just swapped around the model for the Werewolf? When he's a bunny, the people are running away from him, and he starts gnawing on one.

Top Bottom