• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Ri'Orius

No spoilers, unless you count possibly seeing what traits some alchemy ingredients have.

The exploit is this:

Apparently Potions of Fortify Restoration also increase the efficacy of enchantments on your items. So you get a set of Fortify Alchemy-enchanted gear, drink a Potion of Fortify Restoration. Now your Fortify Alchemy is better, so you make a better potion. Drink the better potion, make an even better, repeat. Exponential growth.

okenny

Banned
No spoilers, unless you count possibly seeing what traits some alchemy ingredients have.

The exploit is this:

Apparently Potions of Fortify Restoration also increase the efficacy of enchantments on your items. So you get a set of Fortify Alchemy-enchanted gear, drink a Potion of Fortify Restoration. Now your Fortify Alchemy is better, so you make a better potion. Drink the better potion, make an even better, repeat. Exponential growth.

I learned that the only thing at the end of a life dedicated to the quest for power is loneliness and emptiness :(

The exploit is this:

Yah I have all daedric armor plus mace.

Overall armor rating has to be past 500.

Mace damage is 382 not including the boost from the enchantments of the armor. Its crazy what you can do with potions and I havent even tried the
fortify restoration boost
yet

Yo Gotti

Banned
any time i've tried to use companions they've charged straight into my fireballs and died.

i believe you can equip a falmer helm and a circlet at the same time. (didn't watch the video in case it had spoils)

The falmer helmet is glitched.

You can wear the helmet and a Dragon Priest mask at the same time also, your head may disappear from time to time but it works.

NBtoaster

grea0qjnt.jpg

dammit

okenny

Banned
My lord Blackreach is large enough to be a Hold so why can't you fast travel to and from it :( I fortified my carry weight to 447 and I don't have nearly enough means to collect what I need out of there. The idea of having to make multiple trips through all those load screens make me sad ;_; I guess I'm going to have to find a chest near the exit and man up!

Serious question here: Why do you guys soul trap things with weak souls?

I have a glass dagger of soul trap I enchanted and it only comes out to play on things like mammoths and giants and draugh deathlords and the like. Why bother to soul trap if the thing doesn't at least have a greater soul?

Or is everyone just using the Mace of Molag Bal willy-nilly?

NBtoaster

My lord Blackreach is large enough to be a Hold so why can't you fast travel to and from it :( I fortified my carry weight to 447 and I don't have nearly enough means to collect what I need out of there. The idea of having to make multiple trips through all those load screens make me sad ;_; I guess I'm going to have to find a chest near the exit and man up!

There are several elevators which take you to the top with only one load screen, with map markers.

Someone posted a trick that you can drop the gem, and when you pick it up again it'll be empty. I haven't actually tried it yet, but that might help you out a little bit lol

Sounds like a glitch though..don't want to abuse anything too much

okenny

Banned
Someone posted a trick that you can drop the gem, and when you pick it up again it'll be empty. I haven't actually tried it yet, but that might help you out a little bit lol

Hell no! Fuck that! He should man-up and live with that shame! How will the kids learn if you keep babying them Dorthy?!

Edit:
There are several elevators which take you to the top with only one load screen, with map markers.

Thank you kind sir! You saved me so much sadness <3 It's so good to know in this season of given that peoples hearts still have a warm sense of brotherhood that can melt the coldest of hearts. God bless you <3

NBtoaster

I have a glass dagger of soul trap I enchanted and it only comes out to play on things like mammoths and giants and draugh deathlords and the like. Why bother to soul trap if the thing doesn't at least have a greater soul?

It feels good to just smash things with the mace in one hit and capture their souls. And I thought I had many more petty gems :x

Anteater

I'm not even aware of that soul gem problem, I have a shitload of empty gems in my inventory and I rarely look at how much empty ones and the tiers I have, I got tired of sorting out my inventory and keeping track of all that crap, I rarely open up the menu anymore and don't even pick shit up :lol

bengraven

Holy shit, I was getting some work quests in Jorvaskar when I turned around and (Companions end spoiler)
Skjor was fucking alive! I guess it's a known glitch, but he had some quests for me to do, so no complaints there. I guess he came back from the dead to help me do some fucking Radiant quests.

Also, I need a better wife.

It feels good to just smash things with the mace in one hit and capture their souls. And I thought I had many more petty gems :x

It's those dragon souls innit? Once you've have a taste of those sweet sweet dragon souls, you just can't make it more than a few minutes without needing to get your soul-fix.

gate777

Currently on my way to doing some über enchanting and smithing. My smithing skill is at 100, enchanting at 91 and alchemy at 51. Once all 3 are at 100, it's time to power level my dragon armour and deadric weapons to huge numbers. After that is done, I'll finish off any quests for the guilds I've joined then the main quest!

The falmer helmet is glitched.

You can wear the helmet and a Dragon Priest mask at the same time also, your head may disappear from time to time but it works.

ok cool. i've been playing a no-armour mage though so it's irrelevant for me :) currently wearing my awesome home-made "penitent mage's" gear of enchanted ragged robes. does make me wish there was more ordinary clothes rather than just a few recolours of the same 3~4 outfits. some better hats would be nice too. and for dual casting ebony flesh etc. to actually be "a more powerful version" like the perk describes - from checking my stats after casting it seems that perk doesn't apply to alteration shield spells.

oops! it's not really a big deal though you could always fund the purchase of more greater/grand soul gems by enchanting with those petty/lessers. I resorted to storing most of my soul gems and only taking out the ones i wanted to fill but now i've maxed enchanting i only carry empty greaters/grands.

okenny

Banned

If you ever want to level up enchanting, you will probably go through 300 soul gems. I don't believe the level of the soul matters so after a while, you just need souls... this may lead one down a very dark path :(

Fuuuuuuu
a Dragon just attacked me in Whiterun, first time a Dragon has come to an enclosed town and I've been playing for 100 hours. It got Nazeem, but he was a snob anyway

The Priestess in Markarth is calling me 'handsome' after I helped her. Shame I already got married, I wouldn't mind boning a Priestess.

okenny

Banned
I'm not even aware of that soul gem problem, I have a shitload of empty gems in my inventory and I rarely look at how much empty ones and the tiers I have, I got tired of sorting out my inventory and keeping track of all that crap, I rarely open up the menu anymore and don't even pick shit up :lol

Thank god arrows have no weight anymore (remember Oblivion where you would literally become over-encumbered because you got shot with so many arrows). I always feel lucky when I find out an enemy is shooting me with Ebony arrows and just keep healing myself.

Okay, I just went through the MOST CONFUSING SIDEQUEST IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEOGAMES and I need someone in this thread to clarify what the hell just happened to me. I (partially) know why it was so confusing, but still...

I'll put it in spoiler text just in case, but it's probably a well known quest by now. It's the one where you get challenged to a drinking contest. Okay, here's exactly what happened to me.

I hadn't traveled to the western portion of the map at all (I'd walked maybe 20 minutes west of Whiterun) before I decided to visit one of the main western cities. I get there (sorry, can't remember names off the top of my head) and go into a bar. This random guy challenges me to a drinking game, and considering the fact that I'm a Nord (and thus have 50% anti-shock damage and 1 billion% anti-alcohol damage) I accept. We each take 3 swigs and I black out.

Suddenly I wake up in a completely different city (in the far West). I'd been in that first city for like 2 minutes and suddenly I'm in a new one. Okay. So I walk around and then forget about the quest and go and kill some dudes and bears and all is good.

About a week later, I'm walking around Whiterun talking to people, and this woman is telling me that I need to buy a wedding ring from her for 2000 gold or else she won't tell me where the wedding is. And I'm thinking, "What wedding, what the fuck are you talking about?" So I intimidate her and she says, "Okay, okay, you were drunk and you need to go to some castle." And I'm all, "Okay, I still have no idea what you're talking about."

So I check my quest and my map and it says that I have to go to a castle that I've already been to. Killed a whole bunch of witches or mages or whatever you call pussies that shoot sparkles out of their fingernails (NORD TWO-HANDED FOR LIFE YARRRR). So I fast travel there and it's just nothing but corpses and Lydia of course steps on every booby trap in the place and sets herself on fire, but I ignore her and follow the quest arrow on my screen and it takes me to a room I've already been to and all of a sudden this black and purple warp point appears and I get warped somewhere. And that's cool I guess.

So now I'm suddenly in this magic garden place with fireflies and streams and I don't know WHAT the fuck is happening and then it gets WEIRDER. I walk down this path and eventually come upon a group of a dozen normal looking people sitting at a long table outside having a picnic and they're all staring at me and not saying a word. And then the guy at the head of the table stands up and says, "Oh hey, glad you could make it OH SHIT GUESS WHAT" and then he TRANSFORMS INTO A DEMON and was all HAHA I TRICKED YOU I'M NOT WHO YOU THOUGHT I WAS and at this point I'm thinking I HAD NO IDEA WHO THE FUCK YOU WERE IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT OKAY. And then he says he's been tricking me or something but he likes my style so he gives me a big staff that looks like a giant rose and my dialogue response in the game is "Uh, thanks I guess..." and I'm thinking, hey, that's a pretty accurate response for how I'm feeling in real life.

He then transports me back to that city I'd been in for all of five minutes and all of a sudden I have a giant rose that can summon a demon that kills things for me. I checked the quest log and apparently I skipped/missed the first two objectives by starting to talk with that drinking guy.

So my question, and I feel it's a valid one, is

WHAT THE FUCK?

^ The guy is off Oblivion, Once I found out who he was I felt silly for not getting it from his fake name
Sam Guevenne.

EDIT:
You do realise the Daedric prince is the drinking guy, right?

So how do you all play this game? For an OCD-style of gamer this is just daunting if you will. I just finished out the companions quest line. I'm thinking about just running through the main quest line but I'm afraid if I &#8220;beat&#8221; the game I'll lose interest. I haven't been playing as I much as I'd like to admit. I'm about 47 hours in and could go to Riften (which is only the third city I've stepped into) to continue the plot. Realistically, how many hours am I looking at to really finish this game. I'm thinking 200 hours easy right? More than likely 300 I'd imagine though. It's going to take me like two years to do everything. I'm afraid GAF. I'm only averaging like one or two quests a night. At that rate I might as well not buy any new games for the next year.

GhaleonEB

Okay, I just went through the MOST CONFUSING SIDEQUEST IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEOGAMES and I need someone in this thread to clarify what the hell just happened to me. I (partially) know why it was so confusing, but still...

I'll put it in spoiler text just in case, but it's probably a well known quest by now. It's the one where you get challenged to a drinking contest. Okay, here's exactly what happened to me.

I hadn't traveled to the western portion of the map at all (I'd walked maybe 20 minutes west of Whiterun) before I decided to visit one of the main western cities. I get there (sorry, can't remember names off the top of my head) and go into a bar. This random guy challenges me to a drinking game, and considering the fact that I'm a Nord (and thus have 50% anti-shock damage and 1 billion% anti-alcohol damage) I accept. We each take 3 swigs and I black out.

Suddenly I wake up in a completely different city (in the far West). I'd been in that first city for like 2 minutes and suddenly I'm in a new one. Okay. So I walk around and then forget about the quest and go and kill some dudes and bears and all is good.

About a week later, I'm walking around Whiterun talking to people, and this woman is telling me that I need to buy a wedding ring from her for 2000 gold or else she won't tell me where the wedding is. And I'm thinking, "What wedding, what the fuck are you talking about?" So I intimidate her and she says, "Okay, okay, you were drunk and you need to go to some castle." And I'm all, "Okay, I still have no idea what you're talking about."

So I check my quest and my map and it says that I have to go to a castle that I've already been to. Killed a whole bunch of witches or mages or whatever you call pussies that shoot sparkles out of their fingernails (NORD TWO-HANDED FOR LIFE YARRRR). So I fast travel there and it's just nothing but corpses and Lydia of course steps on every booby trap in the place and sets herself on fire, but I ignore her and follow the quest arrow on my screen and it takes me to a room I've already been to and all of a sudden this black and purple warp point appears and I get warped somewhere. And that's cool I guess.

So now I'm suddenly in this magic garden place with fireflies and streams and I don't know WHAT the fuck is happening and then it gets WEIRDER. I walk down this path and eventually come upon a group of a dozen normal looking people sitting at a long table outside having a picnic and they're all staring at me and not saying a word. And then the guy at the head of the table stands up and says, "Oh hey, glad you could make it OH SHIT GUESS WHAT" and then he TRANSFORMS INTO A DEMON and was all HAHA I TRICKED YOU I'M NOT WHO YOU THOUGHT I WAS and at this point I'm thinking I HAD NO IDEA WHO THE FUCK YOU WERE IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT OKAY. And then he says he's been tricking me or something but he likes my style so he gives me a big staff that looks like a giant rose and my dialogue response in the game is "Uh, thanks I guess..." and I'm thinking, hey, that's a pretty accurate response for how I'm feeling in real life.

He then transports me back to that city I'd been in for all of five minutes and all of a sudden I have a giant rose that can summon a demon that kills things for me. I checked the quest log and apparently I skipped/missed the first two objectives by starting to talk with that drinking guy.

So my question, and I feel it's a valid one, is

WHAT THE FUCK?

Heh. You missed part of the quest.

I stumbled on it the same way, the random person talking about the ring. There's a Hagraven involved too, who I also stumbled into. Very, very weird quest. I think they were going for a Hangover in Skyrim sort of thing.

KaYotiX

Banned
new update pretty much fucked my game save.

Now when i try to load it , it says disc is unreadable but i just installed it to the HDD. I can start a new game just fine.....fucking shitty Bethesda

EDIT: synced the save to cloud storage and i can start it just fine.....still fuck Bethesda and buggy ass game :p

^ The guy is off Oblivion, Once I found out who he was I felt silly for not getting it from his fake name
Sam Guevenne.

EDIT:
You do realise the Daedric prince is the drinking guy, right?
I don't realize anything in that fucking quest. I never played Oblivion either.

Heppell

Banned
I need help for the main quest in riften

I need to find Brynjolf and i forgot where he said i need to go to meet him somewhere in riften

I'm doing that drinking quest. I've found the ring and just need to get to the guy again. The problem is there's an ice wizard in the way who has 3 attacks. One kills me in one hit, another kills in two and the third kills in three hits. Oh, they also seem to take about 30 arrows to kill and happen to heal several times.

Haven't this game in a while. Just finished the first assignment with that dumbledore-ish guy at the college. He walks sooooo slow and I can't alt tab while waiting for him since it pauses the game.

i think my thief guild quest is bugged.
i have to meet with kyrelia? down in the cellar of an inn, but she won't talk to me. she's giving me generic answers like "make it quick".

i assume there is no way to fix this?

Just got Destruction to 100 and
got all the Storm spells. Blizzard is by far my favorite, but Lightning Storm is really awesome as well. I love how it's pretty much a death beam.

Oh, and I finally made it to level 50! Yay!

dc89

My brother has this game on PC and it's godly. But I don't have a PC of my own thats really capable of running it at a enjoyable setting. But I own a PS3 and 360, which one should I get it for in GAF's not so humble opinion.

Oh I have another question. I just got the dragon shout that
conjures up a storm and lightning starts striking your enemies and it takes 300 seconds to recharge. It was really cool for a minute when it killed some bandits, but then it just started attacking Lydia and wouldn't stop and almost killed her. What's the deal!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
My brother has this game on PC and it's godly. But I don't have a PC of my own thats really capable of running it at a enjoyable setting. But I own a PS3 and 360, which one should I get it for in GAF's not so humble opinion.

don't buy PS3 version, it's broken ATM

Oh I have another question. I just got the dragon shout that
conjures up a storm and lightning starts striking your enemies and it takes 300 seconds to recharge. It was really cool for a minute when it killed some bandits, but then it just started attacking Lydia and wouldn't stop and almost killed her. What's the deal!

The path of the Dovahkiin is a lonely one.

I'm currently playing a char with destruction/conjuration as primary skills, raising guys and shooting fire all over the place. I however often end up killing my own allies, is this not a good combination or is it just me not being careful enough with my spells? Is there a better combination for playing pure mage?

I'm currently playing a char with destruction/conjuration as primary skills, raising guys and shooting fire all over the place. I however often end up killing my own allies, is this not a good combination or is it just me not being careful enough with my spells? Is there a better combination for playing pure mage?

Don't use AoE spells?

nib95

Banned
I've got this annoying bug with the 360 version. I can only load a save once without restrating my 360. Fuuuuu!!! Every time I try and load a save from actually playing the game, it just crashes/freezes. Anyone know whats up?

Don't use AoE spells?

I have only played for like an hour so far so i only have the three starting spells in fire frost and shock and it seems like all of them hurt my allies, but i might be wrong?

I was mostly wondering if this is a good combination or if there's a better alternative for conjuration, i'm not dropping destruction.

Top Bottom