• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I have only played for like an hour so far so i only have the three starting spells in fire frost and shock and it seems like all of them hurt my allies, but i might be wrong?

I was mostly wondering if this is a good combination or if there's a better alternative for conjuration, i'm not dropping destruction.
You need to find an ally that doesn't get into the line of fire. A mage or archer or something

Durante

The hangover quest was my favourite in the game so far. So random.

I'm currently playing a char with destruction/conjuration as primary skills, raising guys and shooting fire all over the place. I however often end up killing my own allies, is this not a good combination or is it just me not being careful enough with my spells? Is there a better combination for playing pure mage?
Conjuration/Destruction are my main skills as well. Haven't had much of a problem even with 2 allies (conjured and companion). You just need to sidestep a bit once they engage enemies.

You can also try to summon Fire/Frost/Storm Atronarchs and use the respective element, they are immune to it.

Argh I just have one achievment left now and it doesn't seem like I will be able to get it without starting all over again. Stupid Daedric Quest that won't start :/

The hangover quest was my favourite in the game so far. So random.

Conjuration/Destruction are my main skills as well. Haven't had much of a problem even with 2 allies (conjured and companion). You just need to sidestep a bit once they engage enemies.

Mkay, guess i'll just have to be a bit more careful then, they die like instantly right now when i hit them with my flame :)

What are you using as complement? I'm considering alchemy for better magicka potions and alteration for better protection.

So what's the point in chosing light armors over heavy armors ? Did this for my battlemage and I kinda regret it when I compare the two perk trees...

Ricker

Is it just me or is the magic resistance still bugged in this game?...I'm level 24 now,with Heavy Armor,mostly going with one handed sword and all the shield buffs,I'm an Orc with berseker but some of those necromancers that shoot like those frozen arrows or something,kill me in like 3 hits,even if I drink some potions and what not...all the quests that end up me having to kill some of these guys (including a big one where there's a main master guy and a lot of flunkies,those I can kill easily if I'm fast)are completly impossible for me,even wit that barrier thing etc etc...freakin Dragons are easier to kill then those guys hehe...

rakhir

Does anyone put on "clothes" when walking through towns? Gotta love that role-playing.....
It's way better to roleplay in towns without your clothes on tbh.
Much more possibilities that way.

And on topic: I still can't marry Lydia with this patch. When will they finally fix the real serious issues with this game?

Double D

So I posted before about my load times being garbage (360, not installed, 1.1 patch, saving to USB). Well, moving my save file from the USB to my HDD made a world of difference. If anyone is saving to USB, I recommend putting it on the Hard drive as the load times are remarkably better.

moop1167

Anyone else have to skip one of those quests in the Thieves Guild to progress the questline?
The one where you need to break into Honningbrew Meadery, but if you had already been there prior to the quest the Thieve's Guild one won't begin. I had to skip it altogether and start the next one. After the quest, the bartender is supposed to become a fence, and the brewery is changed, but for me that never happened. Any way to fix that?

I've posted about this before and never really got any responses, but I can't be the only person that went to Honningbrew Meadery before the Thieves' Guild quest.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Game's so so SO much better as a stealth/bow type than a melee.

IF I could advise anyone, I'd say to avoid melee in this game. It's still very bad. Archery's not great, but it's a lot more fun. I just use conjuration for magic, so I don't know much there.

Dries

And on topic: I still can't marry Lydia with this patch. When will they finally fix the real serious issues with this game?

More possibilities? Enlighten me..

nib95

Banned
Nightingale armour looks bad ass! If I hadn't already maxed a lot of my stuff and Heavy Armour, I'd have invested perks in Light Armour just for this bad boy.

On a side note, stupid glitch (highest level Nightingale Blade) won't let me smith my Nightingale sword, which sucks ass as imo it's one of the best looking swords in the game. Highly disappointed.

mrplaid

I've posted about this before and never really got any responses, but I can't be the only person that went to Honningbrew Meadery before the Thieves' Guild quest.

I'm sure I went into Honningbrew before I joined the Thieves' Guild. I never had that problem though. Sorry I don't have any advice for you. :(

Lothars

i think my thief guild quest is bugged.
i have to meet with kyrelia? down in the cellar of an inn, but she won't talk to me. she's giving me generic answers like "make it quick".

i assume there is no way to fix this?
Basically one of the ways is to reply the previous quest
Which is going to Markoth and making a copy of the text
It's suppose to reactivate the quest your on now.

Why would you marry Lydia? You OWN her.
Marry someone wealthy. A little class goes a long way.

Astra

IF I could advise anyone, I'd say to avoid melee in this game. It's still very bad. Archery's not great, but it's a lot more fun. I just use conjuration for magic, so I don't know much there.

I typically go the stealth style if given the choice. I also went stealth archer here, with some proficiency in one-handed when it's needed. Usually isn't, since I just conjure two Dremora Lords, and provide cover with my bow. Throw my companion in the mix with very high quality weapons and armor I smithed for him, and the enemy rarely gets close to me.

Nightingale armour looks bad ass! If I hadn't already maxed a lot of my stuff and Heavy Armour, I'd have invested perks in Light Armour just for this bad boy.

On a side note, stupid glitch (highest level Nightingale Blade) won't let me smith my Nightingale sword, which sucks ass as imo it's one of the best looking swords in the game. Highly disappointed.

I agree! I got that blade not that long ago, and went to the grindstone with it, only to see it wasn't available for upgrade. I was also disappointed with this.

GenericUser

just finished
the main quest
had more problems fighting the guard at the bridge than I had with alduin.
I am not satisfied with this ending, not at all. Killing a final boss at the first try, loosing almost no health at all .... feels bland ... at least to me.

The Heroes of sovngarde soaked up all the damage.
Overall, I think the implementation of the dragons is a welcome addition to the gameworld, but the oblivion gates (at least to me) were way cooler and created a more dense atmosphere of doom and did fit better into the elder scrolls universe. Sorry Skyrim.
Good thing is, I can finally start my new battlemage character and roleplay the hell out of this awesome game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I seriously cannot stand the graphics on the PS3 version. If I play for any more than an hour my eyes start to hurt and it gets uncomfortable. The muddy textures, the horrendous shadows, it just really gets difficult to play for extended periods of time. Anyone else getting this? This is mainly an issue in towns, not out in the wilderness.

bengraven

Towns need graveyards. Then when a named NPC is killed, their body disappears after 24 hours instead of sitting around for days.

Then the grave stone appears. Says name of character, maybe the day they died, and how (killed by dragon, killed by sabertooth cat, saved by strange man in dark leather armor, killed by Dragonborn).

And all their stuff they're buried with so if you have a shovel you can dig it all up and not miss it if you're running from guards, for example.

Marleyman

Banned
Overall, I think the implementation of the dragons is a welcome addition to the gameworld, but the oblivion gates (at least to me) were way cooler and created a more dense atmosphere of doom and did fit better into the elder scrolls universe. Sorry Skyrim.
Good thing is, I can finally start my new battlemage character and roleplay the hell out of this awesome game.

I am on the other end of this as I couldn't stand the oblivion gates; I dreaded them towards the end of my playthrough.

cackhyena

So no one answered me last night. Are things like stealth bonuses affected by the patch?

Man, I seriously cannot stand the graphics on the PS3 version. If I play for any more than an hour my eyes start to hurt and it gets uncomfortable. The muddy textures, the horrendous shadows, it just really gets difficult to play for extended periods of time. Anyone else getting this? This is mainly an issue in towns, not out in the wilderness.

Yea it looks pretty dreadful on the ps3, I first purchased this version and sold it extremely fast luckily, I just couldn't deal with the lag and it looked horrific.

Deuterium

I am at a Level 47 now, and pretty much can take down some serious badasses with just one shot. However, even when I was much lower level, I found that I could get through most dungeons/quests sometimes COMPLETELY unscathed.

I am a Thief/Assassin/Sneak imperial. Once you have a good bow and decent arrows, and have the good perks in Archery (especially the damage and the slow-down zoom), I found that you can stay in sneak mode, and snipe away at enemies without being attacked yourself. What I would do would be to use the Dragon shout "Aura Whisper" to find the enemies. Then, while in sneak mode, hit them from a distance. Then, all I had to do was move around a corner, or hide behind a wall (whatever). If the target wasn't killed immediately, then they would only make a desultory attempt at looking for you. You can even see their movement on your radar. As long as you have retreated and moved around a few corners or cavern bends, they NEVER come after you. Once you kill the first enemy, you SAVE, rinse and repeat until you have cleared the dungeon. I would do this consistently without even once being attacked. Of course, the Thief / Dark Brotherhood Assassin armor is important (as well as having good Sneak skills).

Besides the ease of taking out most any enemy (even when I was at low level), I still think the game is a blast. It is even fun to strategize where I am going to snipe my target from. Or, I change my mind, slip on my 2 x damage one handed Dark Brotherhood gloves and cut their throat from behind.

Good times :)

thefil

Most fun I've had so far in this game is with my new Thief character.

The only skills I have > 30:
Sneak
Pickpocket
Speech
Illusion

Basically it's fun to be completely inept in combat and be forced to make enemies fight eachother to survive. Spending most of my time in towns torturing the innocent people.

Orlandu84

So what's the point in chosing light armors over heavy armors ? Did this for my battlemage and I kinda regret it when I compare the two perk trees...

I too was disappointed by the perk options for light armor. In fact, I remade my character in order to use heavy armor. At the end of the day though, it does not matter too much. With a high enough smithing skill (boosted by enchants), you can improve light armor to make it worth wearing. So, if you are too invested in light armor to turn back, I'd make the most of it with smithing and enchants. Otherwise, just start using heavy armor.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Any consensus if the 1.3 patch causes any new gamebreaking issues and fixes magical resistance for 360? Heard it was out but haven't played since 1.2 released since I really want to install without getting the bad textures.

Towns need graveyards. Then when a named NPC is killed, their body disappears after 24 hours instead of sitting around for days.

Then the grave stone appears. Says name of character, maybe the day they died, and how (killed by dragon, killed by sabertooth cat, saved by strange man in dark leather armor, killed by Dragonborn).

And all their stuff they're buried with so if you have a shovel you can dig it all up and not miss it if you're running from guards, for example.

That is largely already there. They are called Halls of the Dead and you can loot the coffins of the people who've died.

I am at a Level 47 now, and pretty much can take down some serious badasses with just one shot. However, even when I was much lower level, I found that I could get through most dungeons/quests sometimes COMPLETELY unscathed.

I am a Thief/Assassin/Sneak imperial. Once you have a good bow and decent arrows, and have the good perks in Archery (especially the damage and the slow-down zoom), I found that you can stay in sneak mode, and snipe away at enemies without being attacked yourself. What I would do would be to use the Dragon shout "Aura Whisper" to find the enemies. Then, while in sneak mode, hit them from a distance. Then, all I had to do was move around a corner, or hide behind a wall (whatever). If the target wasn't killed immediately, then they would only make a desultory attempt at looking for you. You can even see their movement on your radar. As long as you have retreated and moved around a few corners or cavern bends, they NEVER come after you. Once you kill the first enemy, you SAVE, rinse and repeat until you have cleared the dungeon. I would do this consistently without even once being attacked. Of course, the Thief / Dark Brotherhood Assassin armor is important (as well as having good Sneak skills).

Besides the ease of taking out most any enemy (even when I was at low level), I still think the game is a blast. It is even fun to strategize where I am going to snipe my target from. Or, I change my mind, slip on my 2 x damage one handed Dark Brotherhood gloves and cut their throat from behind.

Good times :)

Friend takes an arrow through the temple and is flung to the wall. 10 seconds later.
" i must be hearing things"

I pull out an un smithed hunting bow of paralyze with paralyze posion, get out of sneak shoot the other guard walk over to her and punch her in the face. walk back to my hiding spot. Go back into sneak and they still forget about you.

SMH

mrplaid

I'm insanely over-powered and I don't care. I'm having a lot of fun dual-wielding my two favorite daedric quest rewards (
Mehrunes' Razor and the Mace of Molag Bal
). I basically wave my mace in front of peoples' faces and they instantly die. Good times.

Quick question, though... With whom should I speak to nullify my bounty in Solitude? I caught a charge finishing up the DB and now I can't get back to mah main casa to go questing in the bone zone with my sweet elven dark meat without getting hassled by The Man. What's a Dova to do?

Deuterium

Friend takes an arrow through the temple and is flung to the wall. 10 seconds later.
" i must be hearing things"

I pull out an un smithed hunting bow of paralyze with paralyze posion, get out of sneak shoot the other guard walk over to her and punch her in the face. walk back to my hiding spot. Go back into sneak and they still forget about you.

SMH

LOL. Yeah, Bethesda does need to work on the enemy A.I.

Just for laughs, I slit the throat of a guard coming down the stairs from the Jarl's quarters in Dragonreach. No one saw me, and I left his body on the stairs. I proceed to go over to the Arcane Enchanting room, and I can hear the little kid crying out that there is a dead body. But no one cares. In fact, it is business as usual in Dragonreach :). The NPCs just step over the guard's body as if it a bump in a rug.

kodt

Banned
Light armor is mostly for sneaking/stealth types i think.

But you can get a perk that makes you move silently if you level sneak, also you can get theives guild gear that makes you move silently thus negating any bonus you get from light armor.

Since armor rating no longer affects magic effectiveness there is no reason everyone shouldn't wear heavy armor at higher levels. At low levels maybe you need the carry space, or the best caster gear is cloth, but once you can enchant your own stuff you might as well just use heavy.

It is really kind of dumb, cloth and light armors are completely useless.

Haunted

grea0qjnt.jpg

dammit
The bigger question is why these aren't stacked. I see 10 Greater Soul Gem (Petty) entries in there, instead of 1 Greater Soul Gem (Petty) (10).

Fucking hate the UI.

Woorloog

Banned
Why would you marry Lydia? You OWN her.
Marry someone wealthy. A little class goes a long way.

Who is wealthy? Who has the best property? Who is the best merchant? Hard to decide whom to marry.
Don't really care about them being followers as i play a thief gal at the moment. (Jenassa is probably the best companion choice for me, no?). All Companion's are out of question as i won't bother playing through that questline. Whether they're trainers doesn't matter either.

Stupid that the game doesn't have Khajiit or Bosmer whom you can marry :/

It doesn't matter, anyways. Armor in this game is about what looks cool, not what's functional.

Which is why i don't bother with armor perks. I use the Steed Stone if i wear heavy armor.

Dresden

But you can get a perk that makes you move silently if you level sneak, also you can get theives guild gear that makes you move silently thus negating any bonus you get from light armor.

Since armor rating no longer affects magic effectiveness there is no reason everyone shouldn't wear heavy armor at higher levels. At low levels maybe you need the carry space, or the best caster gear is cloth, but once you can enchant your own stuff you might as well just use heavy.

It is really kind of dumb, cloth and light armors are completely useless.

Except with the existence of an armor cap light armors can provide nearly the same protection while having a better set of perks.

It doesn't matter, anyways. Armor in this game is about what looks cool, not what's functional.

Antagonize some giants and lure them into an Imperial camp.

Better yet, lure them into a Stormcloak camp.

The bigger question is why these aren't stacked. I see 10 Greater Soul Gem (Petty) entries in there, instead of 1 Greater Soul Gem (Petty) (10).

Fucking hate the UI.
Another big question is why the fuck they aren't sorted alphabetically. Seriously, Bethesda, that's basic game design you managed to throw out the window.

mr.beers

Fucking hate the UI.

My gems are all like that too is there a way to manage that? I have a Greater Gem, quite a few actually, with Petty souls in them....

Haunted

Another big question is why the fuck they aren't sorted alphabetically. Seriously, Bethesda, that's basic game design you managed to throw out the window.
They should be sortable by various properties in the first place. That Bethesda doesn't even adher to the gimped features that are there just adds insult to injury.

My gems are all like that too is there a way to manage that? I have a Greater Gem, quite a few actually, with Petty souls in them....
Don't think so. :/

mr.beers

Don't think so. :/

This shit happens then you then you kill something large and it's like nope no gem large enough, why automatically put a petty soul in my greater.... Assholes. I was under the assumption this was managed in a totally different way. Too late for me to bother managing this myself.

Woorloog

Banned
Hows a straight all out melee build w/sheild, no magic at all.

Light armor (for mobility, heavy armor works if you use The Steed until you get Conditioning), shield and good one handed weapon. Throw in some smithing or enchanting and you're nigh invulnerable (assuming you can time your blocks), especially vs Mages with Spellbreaker+Elemental Protection
Works well and is quite fun.

EDIT With Alteration Magic Resistance and Spell Absorbption perks and Armor Spells (redutant of course but early on good bonus armor)...

Top Bottom