• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

gate777

What are the easiest and cheapest ways to increase enchanting and smithing? Using this build.

Make iron daggers (iron ingot, leather strap) then enchant the daggers using petty soul gems with petty souls. Patrol the rivers/coastline for crabs and kill them in 1 shot using a soul trapped enchanted bow.

Damage stamina and turn undead give you around 170 gold for each one. Make sure you have the lovers stone active as well as the resting bonus for max skill improvement.

Astra

It's mentioned during the loading screens that unless you lock up your goods in a strongbox, it might go missing. So I wouldn't be surprised if your home was burglarized while you were in it.

That's interesting. I hope as long as you have a housecarl your stuff is safe anywhere in your home.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, I think the first Thieve's Guild quest is bugged for me. I stole both of the rings from Medesi's stall, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. Then I stole EVERYTHING from his stall, and still nothing. Then I took everything I stole and placed it on Brand-Shei, and STILL nothing.

Is there anything I can do? :-(

Edit: Got it! I was stealing from the display case, not the strongbox, haha. Thanks for the reply, Grinchy.

Grinchy

Banned
Hey yall, I think the first Thieve's Guild quest is bugged for me. I stole both of the rings from Medesi's stall, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. Then I stole EVERYTHING from his stall, and still nothing. Then I took everything I stole and placed it on Brand-Shei, and STILL nothing.

Kind of a dumb question probably, but do you have any saves from before you started that quest? I stole only the ring I needed for the quest and it worked out for me.

Edit: Got it! I was stealing from the display case, not the strongbox, haha. Thanks for the reply, Grinchy.

Is whats his face gathering everyone around and giving his speech?

Astra

I can't find Lydia anywhere. I was named Thane of Whiterun way back at the beginning of the game and Lydia greeted me as I left Dragonsreach. At this point I didnt have a house, so she just chilled in Dragonsreach. So I bought a house in Whiterun a while back and never really bothered to look for Lydia there since I didn't want to use her.
Anyway, came home to Breezehome to find a bandit there now! Killed him and then decided to look for Lydia and she wasn't there. I checked Dragonsreach, too and nothing.
I never toon her as a follower even once, so where could she be?

Le-mo

I just started playing this and it is almost unplayable on anything higher than medium setting which I find odd considering my rig and the recommended setting is high. Can someone show me some configuration on higher settings? This is my specs.

Athlon X4 Propus
HD Radeon 1GB 6950
8GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

GotY's well-deserved, imo.

As for Beth winning the "Best Studio"-award... Let's just say they could've done things a bit better to actually deserve that title. Like not releasing an incredibad PS3 version.

okenny

Banned
GOTY from VGAs and many more to come. All is right with the world. I'm happy many also share my appreciation for this masterpiece. It makes me excited to think what ES6 will bring.

Emitan

with all the CTD i've had plus the ps3 version not even working and the 360's texture glitches i can't believe this won a single award

okenny

Banned
with all the CTD i've had plus the ps3 version not even working and the 360's texture glitches i can't believe this won a single award

Oh wow! You didn't know the textures worked fine if you played off the disc? How long have you been playing with low-res textures?

...In all seriousness, there are bugs in this game for sure. Nobody is ignoring that fact. People love this game regardless because it's just that damn good. It's unfortunate that the problem on the PS3 exist but the amazing experience people have had with the game is something you can not negate. Anger at what's preventing some from enjoying the game and the joy others feel for having experienced it doesn't cancel each other out in some zero some game. The game is amazing.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Guys, this is so weird:

I'm doing a quest that things happen according to a schedule, so I waited until the correct time (that I thought), but found nothing happening. So, I checked the day of the week, and noticed it became Fredas, not Turdas which it should be.

So I tested a little more, and noticed at 5:13 PM, the day of week changed from Turdas to Fredas... This is just soooo wrong. Why the day changes at this random time of a day? Anyone ever noticed this problem?

Christine

Guys, this is so weird:

I'm doing a quest that things happen according to a schedule, so I waited until the correct time (that I thought), but found nothing happening. So, I checked the day of the week, and noticed it became Fredas, not Turdas which it should be.

So I tested a little more, and noticed at 5:13 PM, the day of week changed from Turdas to Fredas... This is just soooo wrong. Why the day changes at this random time of a day? Anyone ever noticed this problem?

The date change should happen at 6:00 am, or dawn. If you wait 1 hour at 5:13 am you will pass the hour of the change.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone who's put in over 50 hours in this game really think it deserves GOTY? I love the game and think it offers some pretty awesome experiences, but there are just so many damn problems that become more and more apparent the more you play. I know award shows like the VGAs are based 100% on hype levels, but damn, what a stretch.

K.Sabot

Does anyone who's put in over 50 hours in this game really think it deserves GOTY? I love the game and think it offers some pretty awesome experiences, but there are just so many damn problems. I know awards like the VGAs are based 100% on hype levels, but damn, what a stretch.

70 hours in, I gave up from boredom.

It really isn't that much fun to play, and it's terribly broken.

People really need to give this game some breathing room before deciding that it's their game of the year, because as of now it's just people wearing their hype-shades, spouting memes and funny youtube videos.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Does anyone who's put in over 50 hours in this game really think it deserves GOTY? I love the game and think it offers some pretty awesome experiences, but there are just so many damn problems that become more and more apparent the more you play. I know award shows like the VGAs are based 100% on hype levels, but damn, what a stretch.

294 hours and still going... I haven't spent this much time on any game for quite a few years...

Zafir

I'm at 45hoursish and I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. However, the PS3 issues are starting to creep in more and more. I just spent about 30mins restoring the file system and rebuilding the database to try and reduce the problem. May very well be GOTY for 360 and PC, but definitely not for PS3. I definitely wouldn't name Bethesda as studio of the year either. They shouldn't be congratulated for releasing a game in such a state.

Astra

People really need to give this game some breathing room before deciding that it's their game of the year, because as of now it's just people wearing their hype-shades, spouting memes and funny youtube videos.

I put about 150 hours in and I think it's very fun to play. Though I am the type that loves to just explore, and Skyrim has that in abundance.
Still, its no goty for me due to the bugs. PS3 frame rate issues really hurts the exploration, which is the foundation of the game. So even if they somehow manage to fix the issue, it'll be too little too late for me, as I'll be long finished when patch 1.4 rolls out.

60 hours in and I still want to go back everyday for more.

exYle

Only got fatigued after 100 hours... Then I made a new character.

oneils

It is not fun to play, and yet you played it for 70 hours? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yo Gotti

Banned

130 hours in.

Still loving it.

This year has had some pretty good games, but overall I think it's been really overrated as far as "One of the Best Years in Gaming", etc. Deus Ex, Dark Souls and this are really the only games I played this year that felt refreshing. The rest just felt like more of the same, with bigger marketing budgets behind them.

So yea, if Skyrim winning GOTY this year makes people take notice of games that are wildly ambitious and focus on offering players freedom and choice above overly dramatic Hollywood nonsense, then I'm damn happy to overlook the problems.

I am playing on 360 as well so it's been great all around for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My main complaint about the game is just how, well, pointless everything is. Nothing you do will ever really affect the world in a meaningful way. Loot is completely pointless if you ever mess with the crafting systems. Combat becomes mostly pointless after level 25 or so when you become godlike (yes, even on Master). The world rarely reacts appropriately to you outside of when you kill a dragon and people come to ooh and ahh.

In the end, you realize that you're just an observer in this huge world where NPCs go about some very basic daily routines. The dungeons are extremely basic, and once combat becomes trivial and loot becomes pointless, you start to notice how similar they all really are and get bored. The content (the scripted quests) don't really ever show you anything incredible, and seem like pretty standard MMORPG-fare. There are a few quests with some fun writing, though.

The game seems absolutely magical at the beginning and for the first 20 or 30 hours. Infinite possibilities! It's only when you become too powerful and start to see how pointless your actions are that the illusion fades (at least for me). At that point it just turns into an virtual world exploration-simulator that's pretty to look at but isn't something you can touch.

I really like the game. It's fun to run around and explore and talk to NPCs and do quests, but the more I play the more difficult it becomes for me to suspend my disbelief and fall for the illusion.

K.Sabot

It is not fun to play, and yet you played it for 70 hours? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Exploration/Quests kept me going, but that can only last me so long before I start realizing that it's more fun to find new caves/dungeons rather than go through them.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This might be a stupid question, but where the hell is the jarl of whiterun located, I can't work it out and i've been running around in circles for 40 minutes :( I don't have any clue

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This might be a stupid question, but where the hell is the jarl of whiterun located, I can't work it out and i've been running around in circles for 40 minutes :( I don't have any clue

In the big wooden building at the highest part of the city. He should be in the main hall from morning-ish until evening-ish.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone who's put in over 50 hours in this game really think it deserves GOTY?

Yes. I got tired of the loot scaling but I have my top 10 list done for GOTY time when we get around to it, and in each game there's at least 1 serious flaw that kind of ruins part of the game for me.

Examples: Broken leveling systems in Witcher 2 and Deus Ex that allow you to become overpowered monsters 50% through the game and make exploring pointless. Stuff like that.

But they were all still great games and Skyrim will be my #1.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. I got tired of the loot scaling but I have my top 10 list done for GOTY time when we get around to it, and in each game there's at least 1 serious flaw that kind of ruins part of the game for me.

Examples: Broken leveling systems in Witcher 2 and Deus Ex that allow you to become overpowered monsters 50% through the game and make exploring pointless. Stuff like that.

But they were all still great games and Skyrim will be my #1.

The leveling systems in The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex aren't nearly as broken as in Skyrim.

If you play on Hard or higher in TW2, the game still retains a challenge even in the late game. You will get your ass handed to you if you don't play right.

The difficulty of Deus Ex really doesn't change throughout if you play stealthily.

Derrick01

Banned
The leveling system's in The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex aren't nearly as broken as in Skyrim.

If you play on Hard or higher in TW2, the game still retains a challenge even in the late game. You will get your ass handed to you if you don't play right.

The difficulty of Deus Ex really doesn't change throughout if you play stealthily.

I finished W2 on hard and it wasn't really tougher than normal which was easy. I went sword path and annihilated everyone without much effort thanks to upgraded Quen and the auto kills from the final sword skill. I had all of that about 60% through Act 2 so the rest of the game was kind of pointless for upgrading items.

Yo Gotti

Banned
For all the praise I just gave this game, I just found the 1 glitch that ruined my night of playing.

My companions who used to be stronger than I am, who are both wearing better armor than I am, are dying in 1-2 hits of my sword. These are high level companions fully decked out one in Ebony and one in Dragonscale armor. One of them I walk up to and it does the one hit KO head chop animation immediately.

This is seriously pissing me off, I spent hours crafting their gear and finding the weapons for them to use, now they're weaker than common bandits. WTF.

Orlandu84

294 hours and still going... I haven't spent this much time on any game for quite a few years...

104 and counting for me:) I think that 200hrs is now a real possibility for me in this game. The thought of playing for a lot more than 100hrs stuns me when I realize that at 100hrs I was pretty much done with Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas including their expansions and DLC's. This game has real depth to it for me.

I cannot stress the "for me" part either. One of the things that I have noticed playing games is that different things will drive different people crazy. For me in Skyrim that would be the shadows and the civil war quest line. Still, I forgive the game because everything else works so well for me. Accordingly, the way that I know that Skyrim is my GOTY is that I am more than willing to overlook its many flaws and bugs and keep on playing.

Gibbo

For Xbox owners, is there anyway to assign magic specifically to one button ? Other than me having to open up the favorites menu to switch from weapon to magic

Fou-Lu

It's not. I have 70 hours and I feel like I've hardly played.

Yeah, I'm only 47 hours in, but those 47 hours were with a character who is now retired. (I'm a roleplayer, when a character feels like he would settle down or leave the province or whatever I'm done with him) Starting a bardlike character, tired of throwing fireballs. I'm sure thanks to expansion packs and mods I'll end up spending about twenty times that in this game.

Einbroch

Banned
how the hell have you you guys put hundreds of hours in already? I'm 25 hours in and I thought that was alot.

I left my console on over the course of three days (went out of town for the weekend), all day some days, etc. Maybe I've played around 60 or so.

And I loved almost every minute of it.

Emitan

Does the game tell you how much real time you've spent on a character. I can use Steam's hours but I have 2 characters so it doesn't really help.

Top Bottom