• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Fjordson

Trojita said:
Horses are fucking awful in this game. They run away, they aren't very fast, you can't call them, companions can't ride them so they fall behind and get lost, dismounting and mounting just to kill a random mob attacking you while traveling is annoying.
Yeah, I sort of regret buying one. Don't really use it anymore, especially since I like to roll with a companion.

Alchemy

Deified Data said:
I've found disabling auto-saves helps a bit on the PS3. Still obnoxious, but manageable.

How fast does the game save on the PS3 version? Its pretty damn fast on the PC, so I suspect it either keeps a lot of extra save data cached as you play the game or its constantly moving memory around to be better organized for the saving process.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Trojita said:
Horses are fucking awful in this game. They run away, they aren't very fast, you can't call them, companions can't ride them so they fall behind and get lost, dismounting and mounting just to kill a random mob attacking you while traveling is annoying.

And they are so armor-less imo.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
CHEEZMO™ said:
Thanks.

Also; is it me, or can you not get quest markers for Misc. quests?

Believe this is a bug. They pop up for certain misc. quests but not others. I expect it to be fixed sometime never.

Or not!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CHEEZMO™ said:
Thanks.

You can. You just need to activate the individual misc quest once you activate Misc.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Thanks.

Try this: You can mark individual objectives under "Misc", but those won't show up unless you actually mark "Misc" as a quest you're persuing. So you need to mark them both for the marker to appear on your map.

Christine

CHEEZMO™ said:
Thanks.

Make sure that "Miscellaneous" is selected on the left-most pane as well as the specific miscellaneous quest that you want the marker for. Note that not all quests come with location markers at all stages, though most of the misc. ones seem to have them.

Alchemy said:
How fast does the game save on the PS3 version? Its pretty damn fast on the PC, so I suspect it either keeps a lot of extra save data cached as you play the game or its constantly moving memory around to be better organized for the saving process.
Slow as fuck. You're right about the save data caches - it's remembering the exact location of corpses, items, characters you encountered hours ago on the other side of the map. But I turned off auto-save so now I have to dutifully save every 15-20 minutes.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Smash88 said:
Based on that article people on the PS3 will have to start a new game with the next patch, because it seems irreversible on that specific save file.... I would kill something/someone if I had to start over again, and I'm only 25 hours in.
They are just speculating though. I would be surprised and pissed if that ended up happening. Seriously, the interwebs would be on fire about that ...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Trojita said:

At best they are good at breaking physics when it comes to mountain climbing.

I thought it would be like Red Dead where you press a button to call your horse and it just appears wherever you are.

and yeah, the fact your companion can't ride with you, you can't attack from it and it just walks off when you get down is really disappointing. There's really no point in having one.

TekDragon

Banned
Deified Data said:
Regarding the PS3 slowdown fiasco: http://www.gamesradar.com/high-horse-broken-ps3-skyrim-was-inevitable-inexcusable-and-may-be-your-fault/

This article speaks the sad truth. God, that patch can't come soon enough. I love Beth, but they need to get their shit together.

It's not excusable, it's really not. Bethesda should be raked through the coals for this.

But this is why I tell people to stop buying games on consoles. You get no mods (which, in the case of an Elder Scroll game, can double if not totally replace the original content), you get far less customization, and you get silly bullshit like this. You don't even get the awesomeness of cloud gaming storage with Steam.

GhaleonEB

garath said:
As much as I'd like to agree:

- I'm level 22 and still not rolling in money. This is 20 hours in. Even if the perk is less useful later in life, if it's good for 20+ hours, then I'm ok with that. In fact I'm usually pretty broke and I still haven't gotten to buy my house yet. But I've been buying equipment that I like (or want the enchantment from) and working on some blacksmithing and enchantment in between dungeon crawls.
- The carrying capacity perk for pickpocketing is fantastic. Add in my stamina and the Steed stone and I can carry 550 stones right now.
I'm level 29 and decidedly not rolling in coin either. I'm still saving up for my house, which is 25,000 gold. I cleared 20,000 earlier today and should have enough for it later tonight, but it's been a whole lot of questing. I have spent along the way for soul gems and other essentials - the stats tell me I've found 43,000 gold total, and have half that on hand.

I'm enjoying having to work to save up a great deal. At first I was dismayed at how expensive the house was, but it's been a fun goal for me to work on. Every cave, every quest, every chance I can get I'm snagging extra loot and coin. Can't wait to ditch my books there, I'm a goddamn walking library.

Zeliard

D4Danger said:
I thought it would be like Red Dead where you press a button to call your horse and it just appears wherever you are.

and yeah, the fact your companion can't ride with you, you can't attack from it and it just walks off when you get down is really disappointing. There's really no point in having one.

Of course there is. Horses make manual travel far quicker than on foot and can climb mountains like a champ. Short of unlimited werewolf form you don't have many other options unless you want to use a carriage and skip chunks of the map.

TekDragon said:
It's not excusable, it's really not. Bethesda should be raked through the coals for this.

But this is why I tell people to stop buying games on consoles. You get no mods (which, in the case of an Elder Scroll game, can double if not totally replace the original content), you get far less customization, and you get silly bullshit like this. You don't even get the awesomeness of cloud gaming storage with Steam.
You're not wrong, but I'm stuck in this situation and hoping it gets better. I genuinely love Skyrim - it's a sign of my devotion that I'm still willing to play it in this state. As long as it's playable, anyway.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hex said:
The first three are right near where you first start after the intro
Hahaha, really? Still haven't seen'em! And I even went back to Helgen to loot it, too.

Hugs

I sort of feel bad crafting a ton of Iron daggers just to level up smithing. But then I put on my new Ebony armor and look like god damn Sauron and its all ok.

JambiBum

TekDragon said:

360 has cloud storage now

Davedough

Tanolen said:
They climb mountains like a champ though.

LH72Z.jpg

Hugs said:
I sort of feel bad crafting a ton of Iron daggers just to level up smithing. But then I put on my new Ebony armor and look like god damn Sauron and its all ok.
Step 1: Craft 'x' Iron Daggers

Step 2: Enchant 'x' Iron Daggers with Petty enchantments.

Step 3: Experience, and profit!

Zeliard

I have to purposefully limit myself from abusing enchanting and smithing. So easy to both as a Mage in particular. Anybody can get Smithing to 100 without even trying, and Mages with Soul Trap spells can fill up soul gems in every battle and use those for enchants.

Hugs

Deified Data said:
Step 1: Craft 'x' Iron Daggers

Step 2: Enchant 'x' Iron Daggers with Petty enchantments.

Step 3: Experience, and profit!

Oh yeah for sure. Its the only way to go. Hey blacksmith, do you want to buy 40 Iron Daggers that deal 1 frost damage for five hits? Yes of course.

Almost as bad as just standing there healing while a being attacked by a wolf to level armor.

Smash88

Banned
With 15 minutes left for GAF staying online. See you guys in 15 hours when Maintenance is done, can't wait to hear all the Skyrim stories that have accumulated.

Zeliard

Smash88 said:
With 15 minutes left for GAF staying online. See you guys in 15 hours when Maintenance is done, can't wait to hear all the Skyrim stories that have accumulated.

Haha forgot it's going down at 6 PM.

DrBo42

Hugs said:
Oh yeah for sure. Its the only way to go. Hey blacksmith, do you want to buy 40 Iron Daggers that deal 1 frost damage for five hits? Yes of course.

Almost as bad as just standing there healing while a being attacked by a wolf to level armor.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Why didn't I think of this?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
How do you disenchant armour? I have a heavy armour shield with a couple of enchantments that I want to learn but the damn thing doesn't show up on the disenchant list?

Clevinger

Hugs said:

Why not do a little bit of smithing yourself, then use that profit to buy a smithing trainer? Seems like that would be easier and less tedious.

Zeliard said:
I have to purposefully limit myself from abusing enchanting and smithing. So easy to both as a Mage in particular. Anybody can get Smithing to 100 without even trying, and Mages with Soul Trap spells can fill up soul gems in every battle and use those for enchants.

I find it hard to get as many soul gems enchanted as I want. Black soul gems are pretty rare, at least here in the early game, and it feels like I fight about 10 bandits for every non-humanoid creature I can actually soul trap.

Gregorn

I haven't had any trouble with my PS3 version of Skyrim. My save file is about 6GB, which is about the size people said that problems started.

But I'll wait for the patch anyway, in case the thing about starting a new game is true.

I'm having a real problem with bodies disappearing, at first I thought I'd just lost track of where I killed someone but now it seems like 30% of the time the body will disappear right after the killing blow. I've killed Giants and watched them vanish before my eyes. Anyone else having this issue?

Top Bottom