• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Havok

Well, shit. I guess that's the ending of the Imperial side of the Civil War. :\

You should probably spoiler tag what you quoted at the top of the page, okenny.

I was looking forward to killing Ulfric.
It's not what you think -
it's a part of the main quest if you don't take part in the civil war....(details below in case you don't want to know)

...a Dragonborn-mediated negotiation at High Hrothgar.

Being stuck with quest items in the inventory sucks. Currently carrying something with a weight of 20, looked up when it will be needed and it's wayyyy down the line for me. That along with some random dagger I picked up and those purple floating mystery gems...

I always wonder why I'm at the limit of my carrying capacity no matter what I do and I swear if you count up all the quest items, soul gems and potions I lug around, it's probably around 200 points. I probably have 40-50 points of health potions alone and I haven't bought a single one from a store, lol. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and spend 2-3 points getting to the perk where heavy armor weighs nothing.

This. This. This.

I also started selling back most of my potion stock for hard cash.
3AQmK.gif

The Arch-Mage's room is like looting heaven. You can rob him blind getting all the ingredients for potions and soul gems for enchanting, wait a few days and do it all again. During my last play session I finally hit 100 in enchanting and smithing. I haven't tried any of the potion hacks to go into 'god mode' yet. Not sure if I will either.

CyReN

Damn Dragons sleeping on the job..

YehMp.jpg

I just killed the frost dragon a few towns over, I took his soul and he turned into a skeleton like usual then I find him a few towns over dead like this, have no idea what's going on. Obviously a glitch I know.

GhaleonEB

It's not what you think -
it's a part of the main quest if you don't take part in the civil war....(details below in case you don't want to know)

...a Dragonborn-mediated negotiation at High Hrothgar.

Ah, got it. I thought it was the ending of the Imperial side of the civil war. My bad!

A question about that.
If I do the main quest first, can I then not do the Imperial side of the Civil War? Is that was Jeff Chen was talking about? I want to see the Imperial side of the war, but was going to do the main quest first. Should I reverse them?

Havok

Ah, got it. I thought it was the ending of the Imperial side of the civil war. My bad!

A question about that.
If I do the main quest first, can I then not do the Imperial side of the Civil War? Is that was Jeff Chen was talking about? I want to see the Imperial side of the war, but was going to do the main quest first. Should I reverse them?
I'm not sure. I was able to do that section and then the Stormcloak side on my most recent character, so I would assume it would work. I might be totally off base on that, though.

A little update on my play time.

I've helped
Delphine track down a dragon near Kynesgrove and we saw one being born, then we killed it. From what I can gather, this faction called the Thalmor, a group who waged war with the Empire (I still don't understand what the Empire really is, what territory it encompasses, etc) might be responsible for the dragons returning. The atmosphere surrounding the dragon's rebirth was remarkable, the night sky afterwards is really good.

I wonder why that other dragon took off.

I'm near Windhelm, so I'm going to head over there now.

So I'm at level 17 and just bought a summon flame spirit ( I can't spell the actual name and I won't be arsed to look it up) spell.

Is this summon supposed to be so piss weak? I set it against a single Falmer and it gets its ass handed to it, and Falmer are supposed to be weak to fire. I feel like I got ripped off.

So I'm at level 17 and just bought a summon flame spirit ( I can't spell the actual name and I won't be arsed to look it up) spell.

Is this summon supposed to be so piss weak? I set it against a single Falmer and it gets its ass handed to it, and Falmer are supposed to be weak to fire. I feel like I got ripped off.

The Falmer are just strong. Their poison rips summons/companions to shreds.

okenny

Banned
Question about the thing that happens at the end of the meeting at High Hathgard:

Delphine is turing out to be a real bitch. Do I have an option about whether or not to kill Parthannax or not? I feel like the main quest is forcing me into all kinds of decisions I don't want to make :(

The Falmer are just strong. Their poison rips summons/companions to shreds.

Well, I know that they are powerful, but they seem to be glass cannons when I fight them- I can kill them fairly easily with a Dwarven Bow of Burning, but the summon might as well be throwing spitwads at them instead of fireballs. Even the self-destruct explosion does next to nothing despite looking visually impressive.

I remember the Atronachs being beastly in Oblivion. Did they get nerfed or am I just misremembering?

okenny

Banned
Well, I know that they are powerful, but they seem to be glass cannons- I can kill them fairly easily with a Dwarven Bow of Burning, but the summon might as well be throwing spitwads at them instead of fireballs. Even the self-destruct explosion does next to nothing despite looking visually impressive.

I remember the Atronachs being beastly in Oblivion. Did they get nerfed or am I just misremembering?

It's been 200 hundred years. People have been evolving magic... you think Daedra have an R&D department? I think not. I SAY GOOD DAY!

NBtoaster

The frost atronach is more appropriate for your level (they're level 16). Flame atronachs are only level 5.

okenny

Banned

It's not about weakness or strength. I've learned that Attranochs have their situations. For distant characters or dragons, flames are the best. They're also good for ago-ing in tight situations. Frosts are the best when you need to make a wall or block a path. Frosts generally last longer in a one-on-one battle but they soak up damage fast so they go down when they're ganged on. I've seen many occasions where flames will kite an enemy which makes them last longer.

Dragon vs 2 Mammoths vs Giant vs Me (will be up in HD in a few mins)

I saw a dragon. I saw two mammoths. I decided to see if they would fight each other. A giant followed us. Chaos followed.

My new favourite Skyrim moment!

You got WORKED son!

The main reason I use a flame atronach is so I can't damage it with fire spells, which is mostly the only type I use. I'd probably end up killing a frost atronach.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Apparently I ran into the Amulet of Talos glitched quest. Uggh.

I hope there's a way for Bethesda to fix this with a patch. I got the quest but haven't turned in the Amulet because I know the glitch will happen.

For those wanting more specifics:

It's a Solitude quest misc. quest:

When that guy is executed for helping Torygg escape, you can loot an Amulet of Talos from his body. His sister wants this Amulet and there's a quest to give it to her so she will worship at the Temple. Well, if you loot his body for the Amulet before you get the quest, the Amulet will no longer be a quest item and the quest will act as it completed but the amulet will not be removed from your inventory and the quest will always be in your misc. quests unfinished. This is what will happen to me should I finish the quest. However, if you loot the Amulet off of his body after you get the quest then you will avoid this glitch.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Early on in the game I used to die quite easily. Now, 100+ hours later and level 43, I have the following.

• Dragonbone Armour (Light) 197 Defence.
  • Dragonbone Gauntlets (Light) 87 Defence with +28% Archery and +28% 2-handed
  • Dragonbone Helmet (Light) 92 Defence with +28% Archery
  • Dragonbone Boots (Light) 87 Defence with +39% Resist Fire.
  • Dragonbone Shield (Light) 84 Defence (Only used in Dire situations)
  • Ring with +39% Fire Resist and +26% Shock Resist
  • Amulet with +28% 2-handed and +18% Resist Magic
  • Deadric Battle Axe (2 Handed) 191 Attack
  • Deadric Bow 97 Attack
  • Deadric Bow 89 Attack with Soul Absorb for 2 seconds.
  • Black Star for NPC Grand Souls and recharging
  • 100 in Smithing
  • 100 in Enchanting
  • 100 in Sneak
  • 25% Bonus if wearing all light armour

I can take on 5 enemies at once and a strong R1 swing is enough to kill 1 in 1 shot.

My list:
[Weapons]
Daedric Sword (Legendary), 368 Damage, Soul Trap 1 sec, 35 points frost damage to health & stamina.
Daedric Bow (Legendary), 73 Damage, Soul Trap 1 sec, 35 points frost damage to health & stamina.

[Equipments]
Daedric Helmet (Legendary), Armor 258 (was planning to put waterbreathing on it but can't find D=)
Daedric Armor (Legendary), Armor 531, Health regen 35% faster, Increase Heavy Armor 28 pts.
Daedric Gauntlets (Legendary), Armor 234, Increase One-handed 45%, Increase Heavy Armor 28 pts.
Daedric Boots (Legendary), Armor 234, Increase One-handed 45%, Stamina regen 35% faster.
Daedric Shield (Legendary), Armor 161, Increase block 45%, Increase Magic resistance 22%.

Gold Diamond Necklace, Increase One-handed 45%, Increase Magic resistance 22%.
Gold Diamond Necklace, Increase One-handed 45%, Increase Magic resistance 22%.

<Total armor rating 1417 (I know I've hit the cap, but I like huge numbers anyway)>

[Other]
Level 80, all stats 100 -_,-
I enchanted some rings with 52% elemental resist but still went with magic resist 22%*3, since you don't know what you'll come across...

ElyrionX

Nearing 80 hours of gameplay now. Started off as a sneaky destruction mage and maxed destruction at about 50 hours. After that, I changed playstyle to become a sneaky bow-and-dagger thief which I am still using right now though I am alternating between that and a heavy armoured sword-shield or dual swords warrior. All on the same character. I wish the skills leveled faster though.

I did the whole enchanting smithing thing at around the 50 hour mark and crafted some pretty good weapons and armour. I still use the enchanted armours mainly for the 100% destruction cost reduction but I have stopped using the enchanted weapons and just decided to rely on the unique weapons I already have. Chillrend is a pretty beastly sword since the paralyse enchantment is hilariously broken. Dawnstar is great for the undead. Mehrunes Razor and Dagger of Woe work well in many ways. Finally, the Nightingale Bow rounds out my arsenal nicely. Is this the best unique bow in the game? Are there any other powerful unique weapons and armour that you guys use?

ShinNL

Flame atronachs are not tanks. How dare you put those cute fragile atronachs in front of falmers D:

It's not like I avoid dremora lords, frost atronachs and storm atronachs just because the flame atronachs are females and look cute... >_>;

I just finished the Imperial storyline and killed Alduin a while back.... Is that the main story lines over with? If so, what an Anti-Climax. Is that the way with Elder Scroll games? I thought beating Alduin was just some way of leading me into a much

grander plot. Oh dear.

ElyrionX

Ok, I've finished the four guilds storylines. I am intending to tackle the main quest and civil war next. Any advice on the order that I should do this in? I've heard that the civil war quest line can be the cause of many glitches and bugs so I am a little hesitant to do that one.

GhaleonEB

Heh. So unlike my first character, who split off in the opposite direction of Riverwood right out of the first dungeon, I decided to follow Hadvar to the town. He had some interesting lines along the way, including commenting on my choice of standing stone (Mage). When we get to Riverwood, I talk with Hadvar and his uncle, and learn more about the background of the war in Skyrim than I did in my entire previous play through. :lol

Why does Hadvar tell me right out of the dungeon that we should split up? It's clearly meant that we follow him (or the other dude) to Riverwood and learn about the backstory and get some supplies. An invitation to follow and the promise of such supplies would probably help.

Dax, if you haven't already, talk to the blacksmith in Riverwood and chat up everyone else in the town. I can't believe I never did before. In light of the conversation earlier today about needing to learn about the war, it's almost comic how plainly it's all spelled out there.

Yeah, it's weird how most of the early game is quite directed, but they give you that opportunity to run off right at the beginning. Maybe the intention was that most players would follow him, but players who just wanted to explore or were on their second playthrough would know to break off and do their own thing. It wasn't communicated super well, if that's the case.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man the temple juste before you reach *endgame spoiler*
Sovngarde
was filled with deathlords. Even as a lvl 63 on the Master difficulty, i had to use a bunch of potions and healing spells to stay alive, and even then i got killed a few times. Still was a great place to skill up one handed weapons, block, restoration, light armor, destruction and archery, yes im using all these in combat, dont have much choice if i want to lvl up at this point. I still have Illusion and Conjuration at only ~20. :lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
GO EVERYWHERE YOU WANT!

This mantra is very dangerous :\ Since looting stuff/killing enemies in a random cave that you find while exploring can result in quests that having ties to that dungeon broken and cannot be completed :|

I've managed to avoid broken quests so far in my 60 hours file but I always hold back when I find new unexplored dungeon/area since I am afraid by exploring them some quests I don't know in the future will be blocked forever from completion. I only commit further exploration into a new dungeon/area only occurs when the game specifically told me to do so.

Kind of beats the whole idea of exploring the world on your own thing :\

Sharp

Well, I know that they are powerful, but they seem to be glass cannons when I fight them- I can kill them fairly easily with a Dwarven Bow of Burning, but the summon might as well be throwing spitwads at them instead of fireballs. Even the self-destruct explosion does next to nothing despite looking visually impressive.

Dremora Lords are probably the best spell in the game, as long as you don't mind the whole think being horribly broken :p But yeah, flame atronachs aren't that great to be fighting as the main guy--they're more there for backup. Frost atronachs are better tanks.

Arjen

Man the temple juste before you reach *endgame spoiler*
Sovngarde
was filled with deathlords. Even as a lvl 63 on the Master difficulty, i had to use a bunch of potions and healing spells to stay alive, and even then i got killed a few times. Still was a great place to skill up one handed weapons, block, restoration, light armor, destruction and archery, yes im using all these in combat, dont have much choice if i want to lvl up at this point. I still have Illusion and Conjuration at only ~20. :lol

Yeah that thing was brutal! Had to bump it back to Expert for my stealth archer, just to much deatlords coming at you at once.

TTG

I'm used to kicking Deathlord ass with Wulf, and that image still makes me want to squeal for mommy.

Not really, I'd kill them and then use their helmets as christmas decorations. Shame you can't loot them, I'd love running around with horns like that.

I have that helm, there's a little cave thing out in the middle of nowhere(north of windhelm, by the water) inside is the helm. It has a frost enchantment, it's heavy armor, name starts with a Y... can't remember the details.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0G_fPxOWI

NBtoaster

I have that helm, there's a little cave thing out in the middle of nowhere(north of windhelm, by the water) inside is the helm. It has a front enchantment, it's heavy armor, name starts with a Y... can't remember the details.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0G_fPxOWI

I've been there, and the helm wasn't there and the skeleton wasn't either, just a Draugr Death Overlord on the throne :(
Apparently you dont get the unqiue ghost draugr or the helm if you go there for the helm of winterhold quest.

Tired of the game screwing me out of good stuff :L
I think I'll "earn" the helm by spawning in the yngol shade, killing it and then spawning in the helm. Totally not cheating :s
edit: can't find the id for the shade. I'll just spawn a Dragon Priest..

OMG, it's been 2 months since I can post (never again will I post in any controversially titled thread in OT). I have so much Skyrim stuff building up inside me, especially since I'm a PS3-only gamer where this title is concerned! Please indulge me as a I catch up on the hype and chatter in this thread!!

First some stats/info:

Platform: PS3 Slim
Time played: ~163hrs
Character: Wood Elf
Level: 56
Playstyle: Stealth/Archer

Gushing praise

My habit in ES/Fallout games has been a love of sneaking and theft - so it was no surprise that my first skills to max out at 100 was sneak, lockpick and pickpocket, swiftly followed by archery and speechcraft.

One-hitting enemies with a sneak attack bonus-ed arrow to the face may seem cheap to some, to me it feels like hard work rewarded. All those hours sneaking everywhere (still do it, I don't like surprises), and looking around cautiously on the horizon for the faintest movement - that's what I love about Bethesda games, it's how I've always played them (virgin with Oblivion though, and just the 2 Fallout 3 games). I don't feel overpowered, I haven't even maxed out the sneak/lockpick/pickpocket/archery skill trees since about half way through leveling up I realised the paralyze stuff might be overpowered and I wanted a lot of skill points for other things like Smithing and Enchanting (both totally worth it BTW). I still have trouble with Dragon Priests, Ancient Dragons and especially Forsworn, who can sometimes one-hit me, leading to the odd frustrating reload! My character is the very definition of glass canon.

I've pulled a few all-nighters because of this game, first time in years actually - for all it's problems (and I'm a PS3 user), it's still addictive as fuck, and even now, 150+ hours in, I've seen new things, and dungeon designs are still surprising and delighting me. I recently found Blackreach, which blew my mind in terms of both size and design - it was too big for one session, the design was a Shiving Isles and Morrowind style I guess?

On that note, the Dwemer ruins are also equally huge and pretty - I can only guess/hope that for ES6 they go back in the time line and show us the Dwemer in their glory, and Falmer before they were driven underground. Thinking about the links between Oblivion and Skyrim, I'd guess that is where they are going?

Where I am in the game

At 160+ hours, I've still to discover a decent part of the map, Falkreath is still a mystery to me and Markath is only white on my map because of the 'hangover' quest - I'd seen images of this city and I wanted to make it my eventual home and I'd singled out a husband there from a list of possible marriage candidates - so I immediately fast travelled out of there once I'd stepped out of the temple from the beginning of that quest.

Main quest:
It's been so long, I forget - I did go out with the Greybeards and learn a couple of shouts, so 3/4 steps or so along the quest line?
Thieves Guild:
Up to the quest where I need to enter the Embassy, haven't done it yet
Companions:
Been asked to become a Werewolf, I left it till later, since I'd only just got cured of Vampirism, which was way more of a hassle than it was in Oblivion, in which I was a Vampire about 85% of the game
Mages College:
I have some gloves that I need to use to clense some areas of the college, again, not very far in
Bards College
Guy Fawkes night, yay! No further than that
Dark Brotherhood: Save the best till last,
Been invited to join, killed the hooded people tied up in the house right at the start, that's all

I've mainly spent my time adventuring and discovering the landscape - Recently the amount of quests I had felt overwhelming, so I decided to clear them - but it's a slow process since still I'm discovering other stuff and playthough at my own pace - that's how I do Bethesda games, I usually come to the quest lines after I've explored the map.

PS3-only Player experience
I apologize for being a PS3 player, had I known about the trouble of Skyrim with the system, I would not have let my two 360's go RROD on me. I would have put my adequate office PC in the living room, so that I could take over that area of the house too. I'm sorry, I don't have a history of PC gaming, so PS3 it is.

That all said - to any PS3-ONLY gamer who wants Skyrim, I say: BUY IT.

I had 3 crashes in the first couple of hours, BUT once I turned off the 'save on menu' option, I never had another crash, ever.
My current save file, after 160+ hours is 14MB, and my game comes to a crawl after about 3/4 hours of play. Usually during 'heavy traffic areas' like Whiterun (when near the water streams) and in the wilds of Skyrim (again near running water, or heavy action/population - butterflies seem to do the trick!).

When I first load up the game, I have no such problems, and it acts much like I remember Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the 360 - i.e. a bit crappy, but still very much playable. As time goes on, I get more and more choppy slowdown, to the point I either save in frustration - or as I discovered yesterday - just save, shut the system off and start up again. As I say, I tried this out for the first time yesterday - the system was at a crawl, so I saved in the circular stream at Whiterun, shut off, immediately back on, load up the game and the save - and wey-hey, I'm back with a decent framerate in the most challenging area of Skyrim. So I say 3/4 hours play is fine for PS3 players before they need to reload/quit.

For all the chicken little stuff I've read about the PS3 and Skyrim - I can recommend it to PS3-ONLY people. Just turn off that auto-save on menu, it's the only one I turned off. And when the frame-rate gets bad, which in my experience is about 3/4 hours in - either save and quit, or turn off the PS3 and boot up the game again. It's still disgusting that the PS3 version is inferior, but with these simple steps I've found I can bypass 99% of the serious problems. Stuff like glitches, quests not activating/completing are Bethesda standards, and are usually cleared up with patches later on - If not, it's probably not too serious. My only glitches are some old broad from the Bards College won't recognise I brought her lute back, and some Hagraven wouldn't recognise I killed her rival - so I killed that Hagraven and got the reward she promised any way, big deal - an item I don't need, it sits in a chest in my Whiterun home. *shrug*

TTG

Are there any other powerful unique weapons and armour that you guys use?

2 of the best I've found is the Gildour(sp?) Amulet which is +30 to health and magic and stamina and the spellbreaker shield. The shield is noticeably better than ebony, lighter and casts a strong ward anytime you block, which doesn't drain your magicka.

NBtoaster

2 of the best I've found is the Gildour(sp?) Amulet which is +30 to health and magic and stamina and the spellbreaker shield. The shield is noticeably better than ebony, lighter and casts a strong ward anytime you block, which doesn't drain your magicka.

The Mace of Molag Ball is also pretty much the best mace, it's got the damage of daedric equipment, and enchantments that can't be replicated by you (at least not all together), the enchantments get improved from enchanting perks, the damage can be improved with smithing, and you only need to be level 7 to get it.

It's like the Umbra of this game. Works well with Azura's Star too.

ShinNL

Does anyone play with the mic mod? Actually saying Shouts seems like fun.
What the heeellllllllllllllllllllll!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2gVZpaE1Ks

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32805601&postcount=3692
I was chatting with a friend and suddenly came with the most awesome idea for a mod. Don't read this if you don't want your hopes crushed.

[spoiler]Headset mod so you can shout words into the mic and let voice detection change it into in-game shouts. On-the-fly switching and... FUS RO DAH.[/spoiler]

Would be... so epicly awesome T_T
Someone actually made it!?!?!?!? :O~~~~~~~~~~

TTG

The Mace of Molag Ball is also pretty much the best mace, it's got the damage of daedric equipment, and enchantments that can't be replicated by you (at least not all together), the enchantments get improved from enchanting perks, the damage can be improved with smithing, and you only need to be level 7 to get it.

It's like the Umbra of this game. Works well with Azura's Star too.

It takes up half the screen like Doom's BFG or something and the town's people will call out "get that mace away from me!!" from time to time.

When is a good time to grind smithing and enchanting? I've been trying to get my enchanting up conventionally and I'm just over 50, smithing... well I did make that one iron dagger in Riverwood. I have a boatload of weak soul gems so I'm guessing I could make like 200 iron daggers and enchant about 100 of them. My only concern was that I didn't want to artificially boost my level up, how does 35 sound? Still too early? I'm starting to come by SOME ebony armor now(I have a shield and gauntlets) so it wouldn't be too out of place to make my own... I think.

Dont post much and I have a ton of thoughts on skyrim so I'll only mention a few things driving me crazy

so I just wasted countless hours finding books for Urag in the college of winterhold. Before you laugh at me for being stupid, I figured if I did enough he would unlock a secret in the college. Anyone ever notice how people keep going through the bookshelves directly to the right of the locked glass book case in the library as if there were a door? WTF what is going on in there! I'm already the arch mage, but on numerous occasions I've witness NPCs going in and out of those locked bookshelves.

Between the 32k posts in the two threads and our magnificent search function (I couldn't google gaiden it either *shrug*), I was unable to find anything yet.

only other thing I can come up with is that it has to do with the orc stronghold in the area, as Urag will grant you access supposedly (but he hasn't for me and I'm repeating book requests 3-4 times now). I highly doubt it though as I've seen the dark elf in the college going in and out most frequently.

Side question-highest level achieved? I'm 57 and the "soft cap" at 50 seems to be BS as I started my character as an archer/destruction/sneak build, but since that has been completed I've done conj, smithing, and enchanting among others and seem to be leveling without hindrance. All I need is to get my alchemy up and I'll be able to create my uber equips for character =D I heard you could get to 80 but I think thats just been done with the console.

Side question 2-I've encountered the headless horseman, but has anyone encounters ghost racing around on a horse? I saw him running around the hills on the outskirts of solitude but he was moving so fast I figured it must be a glitch. I followed him for awhile but every time I got close he just ran away (more like shot all over the screen and stopped nearby)

Top Bottom