• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

TTG

It's true, this forsworn briarheart guy is the most deadly enemy I've faced in all of skyrim

Is he the duel wielding guy? I know I have some briarhearts in my inventory, so I must have killed a couple. If that's him, I just hold my shield up and watch him twirl around.

I wish there were a couple more quests centered around Markarth/Forsworn encampments. I did the murder investigation, which was wonderful, but then you don't really get an option to support the forsworn or completely stamp them out. It's the most beautiful area in all of Skyrim. Those forsworn camps are around gorgeous ruins that allow for a lot of verticality.

Whatever the DLC is, it needs to be about taking out the Thalmor and it needs to be centered in Markarth!

Anteater

Is he the duel wielding guy? I know I have some briarhearts in my inventory, so I must have killed a couple. If that's him, I just hold my shield up and watch him twirl around.

Yeahh that's the guy, his spinning attack does a lot of damage, was fighting him and like half of my life gets taken away from one attack and my armor ratio is over 500. Was skilling up my 2 handed sword

GhaleonEB

Yeahh that's the guy, his spinning attack does a lot of damage, was fighting him and like half of my life gets taken away from one attack and my armor ratio is over 500. Was skilling up my 2 handed sword

Briarhearts are pretty brutal. I tend to chip away at them from afar, as they can often one-hit me. Lately, I use Calm to chill them out, and then snipe from long range. They're capable of killing me in one blow much of the time.

Speaking of strong enemies, I lured a dragon into giant camp and watched them duke it out, tossing arrows as the dragon as it went. The dragon fell pretty quick, and the giant had lost maybe 15% of its health. Those guys are beastly.

And then it came after me, for some reason.

TTG

That's why I've only ever taken out 1 giant solo, that club swipe that sends you halfway around the world is deadly.

I gotta say, I like the fact that some enemies in Skyrim have the ability to inflict loads of damage very quickly. It adds another layer of strategy, much more fun than just managing resources(drinking health potions) until a boss guy dies.

Whatever the DLC is, it needs to be about taking out the Thalmor and it needs to be centered in Markarth!

No way. New worldspace pl0x.

Taking out the Thalmor would be pretty awesome, though. Maybe a DLC in Summerset Isle?

Or, if that's too big (probably is), maybe Artaeum?

GhaleonEB

That's why I've only ever taken out 1 giant solo, that club swipe that sends you halfway around the world is deadly.

I gotta say, I like the fact that some enemies in Skyrim have the ability to inflict loads of damage very quickly. It adds another layer of strategy, much more fun than just managing resources(drinking health potions) until a boss guy dies.

Agree. Also, one of the things that I really enjoy is how many passive creatures there are in the world. I love just co-mingling with deer, foxes, fish, hunters, etc. In addition to making for amusing opportunities emergent AI battles, it makes the world feel so much more natural. Bethesda has gotten good at not just adding details, but adding the right details.

It was a bit of a master stroke to not only include hugely powerful creatures like mammoths and giants, but to make them non-hostile. Typically the powerful stuff is always hostile. I get a kick out of watching them saunter by, or luring enemies near them.

The way all the different creatures and characters in Skyrim interact is one of the things that keeps me playing; lots of this happened then this joined in then they all got rocked when that hit. Last night, I led a saber cat (which destroy me) into a large bandit camp, and used Calm to make them stationary targets. Dude demolished half a dozen guys for me. That kind of stuff just never gets old.

Sec0nd

God damn, puzzle door I need to open for the main quest is glitched. First the rings didn't turn but I fixed that, but now the door won't open. Fuck!

Edit: Thank fuck I fixed it.

CloudWolf

I stumbled into a Forsworn Camp, only to find that none of them were hostile to me. Turns out that
it was the camp Madanach retreats to if you help him escape from the mine and that none of the Forsworn there are hostile to the PC if you do that. I guess they didn't get the memo that I killed Madanach and his crew as soon as I got my equipment back.
Anyway, I killed them all, which was a little underwhelming because none of them wanted to fight back. Oh well...

TTG

Agree. Also, one of the things that I really enjoy is how many passive creatures there are in the world. I love just co-mingling with deer, foxes, fish, hunters, etc. In addition to making for amusing opportunities emergent AI battles, it makes the world feel so much more natural. Bethesda has gotten good at not just adding details, but adding the right details.

It was a bit of a master stroke to not only include hugely powerful creatures like mammoths and giants, but to make them non-hostile. Typically the powerful stuff is always hostile. I get a kick out of watching them saunter by, or luring enemies near them.

The way all the different creatures and characters in Skyrim interact is one of the things that keeps me playing; lots of this happened then this joined in then they all got rocked when that hit. Last night, I led a saber cat (which destroy me) into a large bandit camp, and used Calm to make them stationary targets. Dude demolished half a dozen guys for me. That kind of stuff just never gets old.

The biggest surprise in Skyrim has been how much I enjoy the nuts and bolts of this game. I loved Morrowind and tolerated Oblivion, but neither of those games had fun combat or were interesting to look at. It's been a huge step up in both categories with Skyrim. One of the best looking open world games period and the combat has been varied and fun. Not that bashing draugrs over the head with an axe is anything special, but when you combine that with archery, stealth gameplay and magic stuff, I've really enjoyed it.

It was never a chore to go through a dungeon or any hostile area in Skyrim, I think that's high praise for a game this big. And considering the predecessors, that must have taken a lot of effort.

Then this explains why the game progressively becomes unplayablely slow over time.

No, but it does explain the huge save files. I've walked by arrows that were shot at me some 20 levels back. Another good barometer is the crap everyone dumps on the floor to make room for guild related apparel because you'll be coming back to the same spot again and again... and the stuff you dropped will stay there. I dropped a bunch of apparel and potions the first time I entered in the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary and there it stayed until the end.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
No, items you drop directly on the ground stay there forever until you pick them up.

Hmm... no I am fairly sure it doesn't. I know the PS3 version has this issues (one of the reasons for the slowdown), but on the 360 most things go after 72 hours of in-game time. I'll test this later. Unless PC saves things permanently :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ran into a glitch that may have ended my blades progression.

I got all the recruits, but when I was given a dragon to kill, I've already cleared that "dungeon."

So there's nothing under the arrow.

Is there a fix?

soldat7

If I get the perk that adds 25% damage to my two-handed power attack, does the decapitation effect replace the ram-you-in-the-torso-lift-you-off-the-ground effect? Because that would be tragic.

Quick question for those that have beaten the main storyline/quest, do you eventually visit all the major cities?

I've quite enjoyed just exploring every nook and cranny, except for main cities until I'm instructed to go there as part of a quest. I know I could just go anywhere on the map, but I'd prefer to leave entering new towns until required by a quest.
Please keep spoilers to a minimum if possible, thanks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Quick question for those that have beaten the main storyline/quest, do you eventually visit all the major cities?

I've quite enjoyed just exploring every nook and cranny, except for main cities until I'm instructed to go there as part of a quest. I know I could just go anywhere on the map, but I'd prefer to leave entering new towns until required by a quest.
Please keep spoilers to a minimum if possible, thanks.

The main quest will not take you to all cities.

Card Boy

Banned
Thought i made a hot chick in a Bethesda game, but then quickly realized there are heaps of NPC's that look the same in the first town :(

qSItN.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i beated most of the quests in the game on my lvl 76 character, tried to wipe a town for giggles and some npcs are sadly invincible. :( Talk about a downer, i wanted to left Skyrim in chaos.

Arjen

Started a new charcter yesterday, first time EVER in a Bethesda game for me.
I didn't want to do the Companions with my sneaky archer Dark elf, so i made myself a Breton warrior woman focussing on 2 handed and conjuration, pretty damn awesome so far.

Feature

Banned
fuck sake, I alt tabbed out of the game and suddenly my game disappeared. This was during a quest that took ages for me (I'm a noob). And seeing that this game is hard on auto saving I'll have to start over I guess.

This is my first RPG (unless you count mass effect as RPG) and I love it:
- I started the game and tried to kill everyone I saw, sadly I died right after I tried pick pocketing that guy that is with you at the start :-D
- A guy asked if I wanted to buy a horse, I left him alone, came back at night, robbed his house when he was sleeping and stole his horse! Love it!
- There's some guy in the first town that says you can take supplies from him but within the reasonable... took everything from his house suckaaa!!
- Guy stuck in spider web asks for me to save him... Bash his head in and rob him.

Question:

I keep trying to block hits from other guys but even with my shield up, I lose health easily , Anything I'm doing wrong?

KorrZ

fuck sake, I alt tabbed out of the game and suddenly my game disappeared. This was during a quest that took ages for me (I'm a noob). And seeing that this game is hard on auto saving I'll have to start over I guess.

This is my first RPG (unless you count mass effect as RPG) and I love it:
- I started the game and tried to kill everyone I saw, sadly I died right after I tried pick pocketing that guy that is with you at the start :-D
- A guy asked if I wanted to buy a horse, I left him alone, came back at night, robbed his house when he was sleeping and stole his horse! Love it!
- There's some guy in the first town that says you can take supplies from him but within the reasonable... took everything from his house suckaaa!!
- Guy stuck in spider web asks for me to save him... Bash his head in and rob him.

Question:

I keep trying to block hits from other guys but even with my shield up, I lose health easily , Anything I'm doing wrong?

Power attacks from enemies knock your shield right down. You need to level up your block skill and invest some points if you want to be truly safe with your shield up.

Power attacks from enemies knock your shield right down. You need to level up your block skill and invest some points if you want to be truly safe with your shield up.

I tend to shield bash before the enemy gets a chance to strike. It's much more effective. The disadvantage is that it doesn't count as a block.

Finally got some solid play time in yesterday after a bit of a hiatus for the holidays. Was working on the main quest some, then got distracted exploring several random caves and dungeons. Found some solid loot, but was hoping for some new shouts or upgrades to existing ones. No luck there, but I'm having a ton of fun doing the dungeon crawls over working some of the quest lines that I've been focused on recently.

Kaper

If I get the perk that adds 25% damage to my two-handed power attack, does the decapitation effect replace the ram-you-in-the-torso-lift-you-off-the-ground effect? Because that would be tragic.

It doesn't, and with the combination of the low chance to decap + the low frequency of stationary power attacks I perform, when it does happen it always surprises me, lol.

K' Dash

Hey guys, this is my first Elder Scrolls game, I don't count oblivion cause I hated it, but Skyrim is sucking my soul, I can play 4/5 hours non stop, I haven't done this since my high school days.

I've been exploring and doing sidequests and enetering pretty much every dungeon I find, but I have a question, I just talked to
Parthronaux and started looking for the elder scrolls
, how far I'm in the main quest?.

GhaleonEB

My archer/illusionist is finally potent enough to start braving some tough dungeons. I can Calm bears, wolves and saber cats (doing so next to an ore vein and mining it while they sit next to me is a wee nerve-racking), as well as manipulate most humans I encounter.

I'm knee-deep in a new one dungeon, along the southern mountains, just now beginning my hunt for the Dragon Priests at level 20.

Someone mentioned a while back how they wanted the horned helmet the Draugr Overlords wear. I has one now.
It's in the dungeon to the northeast of Windhelm (with the bouncing light balls), and it absolutely freaked me out, big time.
The quest reward rocks, though.

Something like 200 hours total playtime, I'm still finding tons of new stuff. Also, my kids and I just now noticed the paper map has little X's dotted around it. We're hunting those down tonight.

Morokh

I've been exploring and doing sidequests and enetering pretty much every dungeon I find, but I have a question, I just talked to
Parthronaux and started looking for the elder scrolls
, how far I'm in the main quest?.

If you were to cut the main quest in 3 parts you would have started part number 3

I'm starting a new character, stealth oriented but with few combat skills, my perks will go into this : http://skyrimcalculator.com/#40197
Ranged attacks will be staves only, weapons of choice will be dual daggers.

This will be pretty challenging in the early stages of the game, but alchemy / enchanting should back up sneak nicely once they are maxed.

Anteater

Me: "Been a while since I saved, but it's ok, i'll save once I slide down this hill..."

/falls into an invisible hole on the mountain and gets stuck and needs to reload

fucking.asshole.

CloudWolf

Does the Thieves Guild still work with a no kill policy? Because I just killed everyone in
Goldenglow Estate
and they didn't seem to mind.

What are your strongest companions? This is what I made for my 3 current companions:

Aranea Lenith
All Dragonscale Armor + Dragon Priest Mask
Daedric Bow with Soul Trap
Shit tons of Staves with high level magics

Kodlak Whitemane(Dead Thrall)
Daedric Greatsword with Drain Health and Stamina
Daedric Armor with various boosts

Draugur Death Overlord(Dead Thrall)

Basically, you can pickpocket people to give them whatever equipment you want, kill them, then resurrect them with Dead Thrall. Bam, extra companion. I also have 2 dogs.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I finally got Skyrim for Christmas and started playing this week. I only kill things by smashing them in the face with my shield, repeatedly, so I maxed out block pretty quickly. The top perk is crazy fun, and it's something I've been looking forward to playing with since the perks list first leaked. It's hilarious, and pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

Now that I've maxed block, I'm not really sure what else I should start leveling up. One handed weapons seems sort of boring, but I guess I either have to choose between that and destruction.

KanZolo

Newbie questions for a lvl 7 cat thing who wants to focus on a mixture of stealth, close combat, and some sort of magic (I think):

1. When leveling up what is a good strategy for upgrading magic, health or stamina... Are any of those easier to upgrade through other means?

2. When perking up, what's a good number of skills to focus on?

3. If wanting to focus on stealth-ish play, is arching the easier/better way to go? Seems like a pain if stuck in close quarters.

4. If going one handed how does everyone decide between doing a shield or magic. Shield seems safer/easier for a noob like myself

5. How early can u buy a house or where can I store stuff before I get one

I've been carrying around this Dravin's Bow for a while now and finally looked up where I need to take it. Ended up finding the guy and started talking to him. As soon as a conversation started some bastard dragon immediately swoops in and kills him.

I just threw his bow on the body and ran away. Guess I'm lucky I didn't officially have the quest yet, otherwise I would have been stuck with that thing forever.

On the topic of bows, are there any advantages to using the bow I got from Angi? It's a named weapon so I'm curious if there's anything special about it.

Anteater

What are your strongest companions? This is what I made for my 3 current companions:

Aranea Lenith
All Dragonscale Armor + Dragon Priest Mask
Daedric Bow with Soul Trap
Shit tons of Staves with high level magics

Kodlak Whitemane(Dead Thrall)
Daedric Greatsword with Drain Health and Stamina
Daedric Armor with various boosts

Draugur Death Overlord(Dead Thrall)

Basically, you can pickpocket people to give them whatever equipment you want, kill them, then resurrect them with Dead Thrall. Bam, extra companion. I also have 2 dogs.

I'm using Orchendor and Faendal as death thralls (Faendal fucking sucks), and Lydia as live companion, I didn't bother swapping gears with them other than Lydia (she's rocking ebony gears), seems to be fine so far on master

TTG

On the topic of bows, are there any advantages to using the bow I got from Angi? It's a named weapon so I'm curious if there's anything special about it.

It's enchanted, meaning it has some additional effect besides physical damage. Keep an eye out for weapons with "soul trap" enchantments to enchant your own stuff.

Can you 'restore the thieves guild to its former glory' without having completed the entire thieves guild quest line?

It would make for some awkward dialogue because(and this is a minor spoiler)
The result of that trophy/achievement is a little ceremony where you're officially named guildmaster, which is a title first given to you through the quest line. So doing it that way would put things out of order.
That being said, more awkward situations/dialogue options crop up regularly, so who knows.

So i started this on launch and iv been busy, im still in whiterun i have 2 quest. Get the companions sword sharpened and the fire one from the jarl/wizard who wants me to fill up some stone or something.

The few times iv played it iv been walking around hitting wolves with steel warhammers and stealing steel warhammers. Im around lvl 5

Whats the level cap?
Is there a perk limit?
Can i wear armour without a chest plate but armoured lower half?
Can i master multiple paths (or advance them to decent levels) Stealth, Magic, Alchemy and Fighting for instance or am i stuck to one path. (im looking to be a thief that is decent with weapons and magic and can enchant basically)

Alucrid

Banned
It's enchanted, meaning it has some additional effect besides physical damage. Keep an eye out for weapons with "soul trap" enchantments to enchant your own stuff.

It would make for some awkward dialogue because(and this is a minor spoiler)
The result of that trophy/achievement is a little ceremony where you're officially named guildmaster, which is a title first given to you through the quest line. So doing it that way would put things out of order.
That being said, more awkward situations/dialogue options crop up regularly, so who knows.

Ah, okay, thanks. So it's doable, it just makes the story odd then. That's fine with me since I completed it with another character, but it bugged and I wasn't getting any quests in Solitude.
I assume this may be because I sided with the rebels and the final battle ends there so that might have messed it up.
So I'm just running back with a new character to nab it real fast.

JackEtc

So I got the Skyrim 4-Disk Official Game Soundtrack (signed by Jeremy Soule, awesome) as a present yesterday, and have just started getting around to listening to it. It is AMAZING, such an awesome tone to the entire soundtrack. Anyone else get it?

TTG

Can i master multiple paths (or advance them to decent levels) Stealth, Magic, Alchemy and Fighting for instance or am i stuck to one path. (im looking to be a thief that is decent with weapons and magic and can enchant basically)

If you're planning on playing to a high level(like 50), there should be plenty of perks to make different play styles viable. I went from using 1 handed/block exclusively to archery and sneaking and it was seamless. I also unlocked everything I could in enchanting and smithing by the end. They've struck a good balance there, I never felt like I was running out of perks, but there wasn't an overabundance either.

Ah, okay, thanks. So it's doable, it just makes the story odd then. That's fine with me since I completed it with another character, but it bugged and I wasn't getting any quests in Solitude.
I assume this may be because I sided with the rebels and the final battle ends there so that might have messed it up.
So I'm just running back with a new character to nab it real fast.

I don't know, maybe?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thieves_Guild_(faction)

Note at the bottom of "Improving the Theive's Guild" makes it sound like there could be problems.

Whats the level cap?
Is there a perk limit?
Can i wear armour without a chest plate but armoured lower half?

- 81 is the level cap
- 80 is the perk limit
- No, chest and Leg armor is combined in Skyrim
- You can build you character however you want. There are 251 perks and a maximum of 80 points though so you can easily spread yourself too thin.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Attention PC/console players

Important enough for a new post but I figured out the glitch I get in the "Dragon Seekers" quest. If you kill the dragon before talking to the companion in the hall in Whiterun, the quest will break and you cannot get rid of the guy who goes with you. There is no fix for this at the moment and it is annoying because the latest file I had was about 2 hours behind and I hate backtracking. If you DO NOT KILL the dragon on top of Mount Anthor (I don't know where it is since it doesn't show properly on the map with the glitch) the quest will go off without a hitch. I do believe its the mountain above Solitude since I think there's a dragon shrine near there but I have to go back to confirm.

I know it's a big game but Beth should have put some kind of text to say something incase you already killed the dragon. If you want to just ignore the quest you can since he asks you if you've heard of the dragon or something to that extent and you just say the bottom response and don't take the quest then you avoid it. Otherwise, you will be stuck with him as your companion for good. I am also not sure if you will get further quests from him if you turn that one down in particular but it's a bummer if that stops you from completing all the companion quests. Not sure if it's a glitch in the console versions but its a bummer that you can't finish that yet and I'm pretty sure Beth knows about this by now as it's on the wiki page.

I posted it in the performance thread but was looking for answers to see if the quest is broken on consoles too. Maybe at least this will be a warning sign for some incase they try and kill the dragon on that mountain in particular.

Please PM or post about it in the PC tech thread to confirm with me. Even if you're on console. I just want to see if it's a widespread issue or just broken on PC (the quest).

Top Bottom