• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I just started doing thieves guild stuff and I am wondering if I am going to have to develop sneak skills to do a lot of these quests? I do not want this character to be a sneaky character, but I want to see what quests this guild has..

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just started doing thieves guild stuff and I am wondering if I am going to have to develop sneak skills to do a lot of these quests? I do not want this character to be a sneaky character, but I want to see what quests this guild has..

The stuff you get from them is some of the funnest stuff in the game in my opinion. You do heists, shill, and other types of missions. I would recommend just pick pocketing people randomly through the whole game and lock picking any chests and doors you find in dungeons so build that up through your game time. It doesn't hurt as you will be breaking into houses at times. Stealth is not as important but is nice to have.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Attention PC/console players

I posted it in the performance thread but was looking for answers to see if the quest is broken on consoles too. Maybe at least this will be a warning sign for some incase they try and kill the dragon on that mountain in particular.

Please PM or post about it in the PC tech thread to confirm with me. Even if you're on console. I just want to see if it's a widespread issue or just broken on PC (the quest).

It changes, mine was lost tongue something or other. It broke my questline too.

Another thing I don't like is the inability to say "NO" to someone offering a quest. I don't want to do every quest someone mentions and in some cases I want to kill those involved.

Great, I'm permanently locked out of becoming Thane of Riften due to a bug. :\

Apparently after being told to buy a house, you can't take a look at your house or decorate it without talking to the Jarl immediately after buying it. Now the dialogue option to accept thaneship won't appear.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been struggling for an hour or so. And it turns out I've encountered a bug.

Starting the Thieves Guild:
Brynjolf won't move to the Red Flaggon. Therefore, I can't meet him there. How do I get this asshole to get moving?

Fucking bullshit. I'll just restart an old save. Ridiculous.

So I got the Skyrim 4-Disk Official Game Soundtrack (signed by Jeremy Soule, awesome) as a present yesterday, and have just started getting around to listening to it. It is AMAZING, such an awesome tone to the entire soundtrack. Anyone else get it?

Yeah, I have it. It arrived in pretty crappy state, though, with cracks and rips all over the packaging. Very disapppointing. DirectSong hasn't answered my complaint yet, either.

Sharp

I've been struggling for an hour or so. And it turns out I've encountered a bug.

Starting the Thieves Guild:
Brynjolf won't move to the Red Flaggon. Therefore, I can't meet him there. How do I get this asshole to get moving?

Fucking bullshit. I'll just restart an old save. Ridiculous.
Meet him at night?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Meet him at night?

No,
after I completed the plant the ring quest, he never moved from the Red Flaggon. All he did was stay on the stand in front of the crowd.
This restart seems to have worked :/

ok I need some fucking help.

So I reached the part where you are supposed to go talk to Esbern in the Ratway Warrens. I make it all the way to his door and he slides open that little window. He doesn't talk/is completely silent.

I click on the conversation options, and even though he doesn't say a fucking word the entire time, the game just goes to the next conversation line. I tell him about the 30th night of frost or whatever the fucking phrase Delphine told me to tell him. Then he shuts the window and I see an option to open the door. I click on open door and nothing happens.

I go into my quest status and it says "I convinced Esbern to let me in, so now I have to go in and talk to him" But I can't fucking get in because nothing happens when I click on "open door." So I reloaded my last checkpoint and tried doing all over again. Same thing. So I reloaded my last save before that and worked my way all the way back to Esbern and the same fucking thing happened again.

So now I'm stuck with no way to progress along the main storyline.

what am I supposed to do now? (PC version if that matters)

ok I need some fucking help.

So I reached the part where you are supposed to go talk to Esbern in the Ratway Warrens. I make it all the way to his door and he slides open that little window. He doesn't talk/is completely silent.

I click on the conversation options, and even though he doesn't say a fucking word the entire time, the game just goes to the next conversation line. I tell him about the 30th night of frost or whatever the fucking phrase Delphine told me to tell him. Then he shuts the window and I see an option to open the door. I click on open door and nothing happens.

I go into my quest status and it says "I convinced Esbern to let me in, so now I have to go in and talk to him" But I can't fucking get in because nothing happens when I click on "open door." So I reloaded my last checkpoint and tried doing all over again. Same thing. So I reloaded my last save before that and worked my way all the way back to Esbern and the same fucking thing happened again.

So now I'm stuck with no way to progress along the main storyline.

what am I supposed to do now? (PC version if that matters)

tcl your way in there like a g

GhaleonEB

Newbie questions for a lvl 7 cat thing who wants to focus on a mixture of stealth, close combat, and some sort of magic (I think):

1. When leveling up what is a good strategy for upgrading magic, health or stamina... Are any of those easier to upgrade through other means?
There are many combinations that work well, it just depends on the mixture of combat styles you have in mind. You're using stealth but also close quarters, which can work but you'll need some decent close quarters skill. I'd say something along the lines of 20/40/40 for the build you're describing would work, but it depends on the emphasis you have in mind.

2. When perking up, what's a good number of skills to focus on?
It again depends on your play style, but I like to pick a primary and secondary combat form, and then some secondary skills to support them. You can eventually become hugely powerful in one combat style and no longer need a fallback, but until you get deep into the perk trees for one of them, you'll want to have a fallback.

For instance, I started an archer but had a 1-handed sword for my first many levels as a fallback because I could't take down enemies fast enough to prevent them from closing distance with me. Once I got archery up a ways, I could focus on it.

3. If wanting to focus on stealth-ish play, is arching the easier/better way to go? Seems like a pain if stuck in close quarters.
Stealth and archery go together very, VERY well. There's a perk for 15x damage to backstab with a dagger, so a good strategy is to use archery for long range, and backstabs (one handed) opportunistically. Pure stealth plus one-handed is tricky to pull off, but you can do it. Just expect to have to drop the stealth part pretty often since you'll need to close ranks.

4. If going one handed how does everyone decide between doing a shield or magic. Shield seems safer/easier for a noob like myself
It's up to you - there are many viable combinations. In general I'd suggest having some form of ranged attack, be it arrows or magic, but it's not required if you tank up enough.

5. How early can u buy a house or where can I store stuff before I get one
Talk to the Jarls of each town. They'll have a task or two for you, after which you'll have won their favor and they will allow you to buy property in their cities. If you just follow the main quest for a little while, you can get a first house in Whiterun on the cheap.

So I still have a lot I want to do but I'm 30 hours in and I think my opinion of the game is pretty much set in stone.

+ Dragons. I mean, fucking hell, so awesome. I've never been a huge nerd for things having dragons, but in this game they are the best thing by far.

+ The best moments are the random, sanbox-y things that you stumble upon. Huge battles, deer prancing through a snowy forest, etc etc.
- However, the scripted quests still kinda suck. Some of it is due to bad writing, but most of it is due to...

- ... THE HORRIBLE ENGINE. Yeah, it looks a fair bit prettier, but it still sucks. Animations are awful, especially in any third person view, and they can't do the unique things that the story really warrants. I'll just stand here and watch these badly animated characters fight each other in a "cinematic" moment? Oh... Okay. The next game needs an entirely new engine. It's just too old/restrictive.
+ Despite not being The Witcher 2, it does have moments of beauty.

+ The music. Just woah.

+ There are lots of really great, unique dungeons/caves/areas to wander in to that tell a story. Some are big, some are small, but when they design something unqiue it's usually very memorable.
- There are still way too many copy and paste, boring, repetitive dungeons with no reward for trudging through. Not to mention they recycle those fucking puzzles ALL THE TIME. Such lazy design.

- I feel like any character can be vastly different. I've been a one handed magic, one handed weapon guy, which has worked out well, but if I chose differently I'm sure it would've worked out too.
- The scaling of shit means exploration is never worth it. I've been using the same spell and mace for the last ten hours. I pick master locks and find 10 gold. What a waste.

- Not enough enemy variety. I keep fighting the same things over and over. Come on, it's a fantasy world, you should have a good hundred different enemies at least for a game that you can play for a hundred hours.

I could keep going. There's lots of great things about this game, but I feel that it's an experience that is better than the sum of its parts and a lot of bad design really holds it back from being one of the all-time greats like it should be.

Bethesda seriously need a new engine and to make some drastic game design changes otherwise I feel they'll keep going around in a circle moreso than they have been for their last few games.

Ok, solved the problem. Used no clipping from the console but the guy still wouldn't talk. Used the BSA unpacker solution and now he talks AND opens the door.

TTG

ONE MORE TIME! HE HAS TO BE WEAKENING.

FOO REE AAALLZ?!?

You know what would have been cool? Enemies/bosses that use a lot of different shouts. Draugr deathlords ragdolling you around is nice and all, but more variety would have been welcomed. Maybe something where you can only learn a particular shout if you defeat some dude. I was really looking forward to kicking Ulfric Stormcloak's ass after hearing everyone in Solitude going and on and about how he "shouted the king down, WITH HIS VOICE?!"... and that didn't work out at all. He crumbled in under 15 seconds I think, I was busy dealing with his lackey while the other guys took him out.

awesome!!!! dragon-killing bounty that apparently decided it was a different giant-killing bounty when I tried to find it on the map (and after I claimed that giant killing one, decided not to show up on the map at all)

thanks bethesda

UPDATE: now every single time I complete any objective, a "Collect So-And-So's Bounty" icon appears on my map where the objective I just completed used to be. amazing. absolutely amazing.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
goddammit... just hit a bug, first in a Bethesda game so I guess I'm due.

I just went to the Mages tower for the first time. I joined the class in progress inside the tower. The instructor tells me to stand in a circle and use a ward spell while he hits me with a projectile. So I'm there... and he doesn't do anything. He's still standing there with my fellow classmates 48 hours later... I use the spell but he refuses to do anything.

I read that this is a known bug. There a few hints on the Wikia I'm going to try. Doesn't look good...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ok, solved the problem. Used no clipping from the console but the guy still wouldn't talk. Used the BSA unpacker solution and now he talks AND opens the door.

be prepared, i had the same glitch and he was dumb as a post in every mission he was involved in.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
No, items you drop directly on the ground stay there forever until you pick them up.

Or unless someone else picks them up. I had killed a dragon, dropped the bones and scales because they were to heavy and when I came back to get them, they were gone. About 1000 right down the drain...

GhaleonEB

Just got 3 dragon bones and 3 dragon scales... should I just sell these or keep em? Their too heavy...

When you reach 100 in Smithing, dragon bones are used to make heavy dragon armor, and dragon scales to make light dragon armor. Until then, sell'em for coin.

Tonight I pursued – and got further – into the Civil War quest than my previous character. I was in The White Hall in Dawnstar with Lydia, heading out to deliver
the false reports to the Stormcloak commander
, when I got stuck just outside the entrance after "Skyrim" loaded; Lydia was preventing me from moving. So there I was outside the building entrance and I couldn't move. I tried to make Lydia move, but no luck. Finally I started pushing random buttons on my controller all at once, causing the game to freeze.

It was at that point that I shut the game off.

And that may be it for me with Skyrim for a little while.

To be brutally honest, I'm fast losing interest in this game. Yeah, some of it's my fault for starting over with a new character, but I find myself not remotely intrigued by any of the story threads going on at the moment – nor have I met any standout characters on the level of Wheatley or Cave Johnson – to keep me going. The gameplay isn't anything to write home about, so that's another reason why it's getting harder for me to come back.

Indeed, Skyrim does have a lot of content...but I don't care about 90% of it. This isn't specific to Skyrim – I can't think of any RPG I've played that has been able to make me interested enough in its sidequests to actively pursue more than just a few of 'em – so that really only leaves me with the main quest and the civil war quest, and, as I said, neither are doing much for me.

Maybe I just need a break. I'm trying to finish all the games I have before January 7th. Stupid GAF GotY deadline. :/

cdyhybrid

Tonight I pursued – and got further – into the Civil War quest than my previous character. I was in The White Hall in Dawnstar with Lydia, heading out to deliver
, when I got stuck just outside the entrance after "Skyrim" loaded; Lydia was preventing me from moving. So there I was outside the building entrance and I couldn't move. I tried to make Lydia move, but no luck. Finally I started pushing random buttons on my controller all at once, causing the game to freeze.

To be brutally honest, I'm fast losing interest in this game. Yeah, some of it's my fault for starting over with a new character, but I find myself not remotely intrigued by any of the story threads going on at the moment – nor have I met any standout characters on the level of Wheatley or Cave Johnson – to keep me going. The gameplay isn't anything to write home about, so that's another reason why it's getting harder for me to come back.

Indeed, Skyrim does have a lot of content...but I don't care about 90% of it. This isn't specific to Skyrim – I can't think of any RPG I've played that has been able to make me interested enough in its sidequests to actively pursue more than just a few of 'em – so that really only leaves me with the main quest and the civil war quest, and, as I said, neither are doing much for me.

Maybe I just need a break. I'm trying to finish all the games I have before January 7th. Stupid GAF GotY deadline. :/

tcl

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
At around what lvl can I reach 100 in Smithing? Are dragon bones and scales really rare?

Just keep saving all the iron ore/ingots and leather/strips that you find and buying more if you have to so you can forge iron daggers endlessly and you'll be at 100 smithing after around a few hundred of them.

The dragon materials start off a bit rare, but after a while more you'll eventually groan every time you hear a dragon.

Jeff Chen

Banned

You can tell Lydia to go somewhere by talking to her. You can also tell her to go home so she will move out of the way.

I've been seeing your posts for weeks and I noticed that you miss functionalities in this game all the time, and try to blame it on the game. I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to state what I saw.

TTG

How do I increase my inventory?

1. Choose stamina when leveling up - most straightforward way of doing it.
2. Progress far enough in heavy armor to acquire the perk that makes all equipped heavy armor weightless - this will shave a lot of weight and has the added benefit of negating the penalty on speed/endurance when running around with heavy armor on. I know this is locked away at the end of its own subtree/branch and getting to it means spending a perk or 2 on some useless shit, but it's well worth it.
3. ALWAYS have some enchanted gear that will bump your carrying capacity 50 points or so if it's needed. There's a dragon mask(Volsung) if you're looking for something specific. I always carry a pair of boots along with that and the two combined really add up.
4. Bring a pack mule - I don't particularly like companions, but you can offload the heavy crap on them.

That's what I've been using, last of all are strength potions that will let you fast travel to a spot if you're over encumbered. I've been able to keep a wide variety of stuff in my inventory. There are at least 2 sets of armor to alternate between archery and 1 handed stuff(enchanted differently) along with plenty of weapons and a way overgrown collection of potions.

Oh and one last thing, I just saw the other day that if you level up pickpocketing, one of the perks automatically adds 100 points. But it's a useless skill tree that's dreadfully boring to level up.

Mayyhem

So I picked this game up after my finals about 3 weeks ago, and my save file says I'm about 50 hours in and a level 25 nord.

For the passed three weeks i've been absolutely in love with this game and it is the most value / fun I've gotten out of a full game purchase in quite some time. I was having a blast leveling up my character, focusing mostly on one-handed combat along with some archery and magic. I completed the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild, am almost finished the main quest, and had done various other cool little things around the province of Skyrim. Truly one of my favorite games of this gen.

Here's the fucked up part. For reasons not being my own, I am unable to play Skyrim anymore. Which sucks because I really feel like ive barely scratched the surface and want to keep playing. At about 45 hours game-time, I started noticing some unusual slowdown within the game, it came out of nowhere. I would be walking around and the game would lock up, or lag. Occasionally it would completely freeze up, and I would be required to restart my console. This went on for a bit and I felt like it only pertained to particular areas. Then I noticed a significant slowdown when it came to changing weapons / items or looting enemies, it was laggy, sometimes very laggy and made me not even feel like bothering with looting people.

Then came last night, I fired up skyrim after not playing it for about a day and clicked continue to load my 50 hour saved game file. It started loading, and loading, and didnt stop loading. After about 10 minutes of loading I dash-boarded, went back tried again, etc. Tried different save files, same problem. Figured I'd try again the next day (today), so I fire it up, same problem. This time I try un-installing the game and re-installing, try some other save files, Nothing. Currently its been loading for over half an hour with no sign of it starting any time soon. Thing is, its loading normally, the load screen isnt laggy, theres music, the picture moves, etc.

So here I am with a perfectly un-scratched Skyrim disc and a 50 hour game save file that I really want to continue playing but I cant. Not sure what I do from here, I didn't buy a warranty for the game. Nothing like this has ever happen to me with any game before. I need some advice on how you guys would handle the situation. Thanks in advance for any help.

It's enchanted, meaning it has some additional effect besides physical damage. Keep an eye out for weapons with "soul trap" enchantments to enchant your own stuff.

I know enchanting well, maxed it out and I'm far into the game. I didn't see any enchantments on it though. I got it from Angie, an archer trainer, and was wondering if there were any perks on it like the lucky dagger. Just looked it up on a wiki and it doesn't seem like it does.

RedSwirl

Okay someone mind giving me a decent recap of the important stuff that's happened in the Elder Scrolls series up to this point? I don't feel like going through the entire timeline at the Wiki. I feel kinda lost whenever characters refer to other things going on in greater Tamriel.

All I've been able to understand so far is that Skyrim is something of a start of a new era for the series: The first four games all seem to have taken place within 35 years of each other, but Skyrim takes place roughly two hundred years after Oblivion, and in a new age. I also read a bit of a spoiler about how the
Final boss - the dragon that attacks at the beginning, was actually shot through time.

TTG

Okay someone mind giving me a decent recap of the important stuff that's happened in the Elder Scrolls series up to this point? I don't feel like going through the entire timeline at the Wiki. I feel kinda lost whenever characters refer to other things going on in greater Tamriel.

All I've been able to understand so far is that Skyrim is something of a start of a new era for the series: The first four games all seem to have taken place within 35 years of each other, but Skyrim takes place roughly two hundred years after Oblivion, and in a new age. I also read a bit of a spoiler about how the
Final boss - the dragon that attacks at the beginning, was actually shot through time.

I played the previous two games all the way through and I don't remember shit about the main quests. In Morrowind, you ripped some dude's heart out and pushed him into an active volcano LOTR style. Then in Oblivion, what happened in Oblivion? Some doorways opened up to some deadric dimension and crap was coming into the world of Tamriel, so we had to put an end to that. The end, recap over!

It's not that the games aren't memorable, it's just that the "story" behind the main quests tends to suck. If I had to pick out some of Skyrim's themes vs other games, at a glance it would be:

-The guilds are really struggling in Skyrim and, in some cases, all over Tamriel.
-The life in Skyrim is hard and it's reflected in the cities. They're smaller and more rural, even Solitude and Markarth would be considered small to average. Maybe I'm not remembering things clearly, but I get the feeling that Balmora was significantly bigger than say Whiterun. Cyrodil was obviously huge.

I can't decide if I want to join the Stormcloaks, or the Empire. After visiting Windhelm I'm drawn towards the Empire because of how they treat Dark Elves and... well, pretty much anyone who isn't a Nord. There should be a guy outside the city playing a banjo.

Do I have to choose a side eventually, or can I just go through the game never having to worry about it (or more importantly, am I going to miss any cool missions).

On another Windhelm related note, I've just arrived at the city and everyone is talking about
a series of murders in the town. I'm guessing this relates to a quest but I can't seem to find a starting point.

Gaaraz

Started this yesterday - it's incredible and I love the world (and the depth, jeez, I did a side quest with more twists and turns than the usual storyline of a game!) but find the spells/skills quite overwhelming - although they are laid out very nicely in the form of the star map!

There are just so many to chose from, you know? I'm a wood elf and mostly am using a bow at the moment, occasionally a sword and either a fireball/healing spell/shield too and I'm getting by, but I can't help but feel unless the combat and levelling system really clicks with me I'm going to struggle later on.

I also find the fact I can only control an animal once a day to be quite bizarre, but hey ho...

CloudWolf

On another Windhelm related note, I've just arrived at the city and everyone is talking about
a series of murders in the town. I'm guessing this relates to a quest but I can't seem to find a starting point.
I don't know what triggers it (level?), but at some point in the game you can find a body in the cemetery with a guard and some witnesses standing around it that starts the quest.

Top Bottom