• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Does anyone else only keep one save file per character in order to have a sense of permanence? Or am I just being stupid and gambling since glitches can completely screw me over.

Yeah, I wouldn't chance that. I essentially use three saves and alternate between them. I've seen far too many glitches and corrupted game files in Elder Scrolls games over the years to simply trust a single save. You're playing with fire.

Sharp

I just noticed that one of my characters has a permanent Enchanting bonus way beyond having 100 skill. Elemental damage bonus goes up to 385, attack damage bonus for archery, one hand and two hand goes up to 501% and health, stamina and magicka can get a bonus of 770. I wonder how that happened.

Thats part of the reason I've avoided the Civil War quests with all of my characters. I can't wait for a true next gen Elder Scrolls game. I want massive cities with hundreds or thousands of people walking through the streets. I want armies that are actually armies and not just a small band of warriors.
I feel like Daggerfall was kinda like this and people don't like it because people hate on randomly generated content.

KorrZ

Does anyone else only keep one save file per character in order to have a sense of permanence? Or am I just being stupid and gambling since glitches can completely screw me over.

You are crazy man! Haven't really seen any issues with Skyrim yet, but I have enough experiences from Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion that I alternate between 5 saves in Skyrim. Basically I just save on a different one every time I save, so that they're all staggered a bit and I have options to go back to.

Also I like to get the best rewards so I always save before a choice, I know...boo me, I LIKE STUFF

Jtrizzy

How do know if a quest is main or side? Right now they all appear to be side quests...I'm comparing it to the list of quest names on IGN's guide.

At first I was sketchy about this game, but the Fallout3 additions since Oblivion make it work a lot better.

The only problem I have is time. I played for 9 hours straight at like 7 hours in I was hungry but I kept going another 2 before I could pull away and get downstairs.I feel like I just got off a 3 day bender.

I feel a little gross after this weekend. Like I've done something wrong.

Too addicting.

I also keep getting sidetracked off the main quest.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I have kind of a game direction question for the pros here, this is my first Elder Scrolls game and I am really enjoying just stumbling through it.

BUT I am kind of feeling like because of some choices I've made I'm missing out.

I'm level 18 (about 25 hours?), and have been using heavy armor and two-handed axe/sword for basically the whole game. My two-handed I think is at 49 or so, I've put two perks into that, and heavy armor is about the same, maybe four perks in that. Still, it's getting to the point where against some stronger foes I can't just run in swinging without blowing through a ton of potions.

I realized though that after I started messing with the Thieves' Guild I really love lockpicking/sneaking/pickpocketing and so I want to do more of that, be kind of a stealth fighter. So I put a few perks into lockpicking and sneaking and whatnot... but with my two-handed weapons and heavy armor I just have no chance sneaking around.

I'm so far down the two-handed/heavy path now, but I'd really like to refocus as an archer/sneaker with maybe something for upclose (daggers?) and some restorative magic. Is it too late? I mean, are the skill gains so far away that I don't have time? What would you recommend I do at this juncture?

TTG

Between glitches, and accidental overwrites, I'd say you're walking a dangerous path.

This, and the autosave won't help you. You might think, "hey, there are 3 autosaves, I'm covered". But then, you open up your menu and walk in and out of 2 buildings in a row and you're fucked.

Kaiken

Banned
Is there any insight in future updates? What they are working on fixing? The last main quest I wanted to do was the thieves guild and it bugged out on me. Any previous save I have is about over 10 hours before hand and I'd hate to start a new profile just to complete it. I'd like to power through it like the bad ass I am. So frustrating.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I just witnessed an Iron Shield lift off slowly into the heavens. I hope he found his way back to the mothership.

I had the best thing yesterday where I killed a mage, stripped his gear, and then bumped a bucket on the floor somehow--it lodged between his legs and sort of melded with his pelvis, his legs bent backwards, and he started magically spinning in a circle on the floor. It was pretty great.

Also in front of a cave my horse was just floating in the air once.

Is there any danger in dropping like 5000 gold coins on the floor in my house?
Or on the bed? Or on top of a drawer or something?

I reckon that would look really good but I dont want to risk them dissapearing.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

I have lost an inkwell and a pretty golden (stolen) statue by placing them in the house and coming back later, but I do have some gems on the bed sidetable that have been there just fine. I probably would say not to risk it, but then again it's only some gold.

I feel like the best thing about this game is the scenery. Bethesda really did an incredible job of creating an amazing, beautiful open world. Probably the best open world I've ever seen in an open world game. Just amazing. I can see how that alone would be enough to suck people in and immerse them in the game.

But once you start to see past the beauty and scenery of the world, I feel like it's a pretty mediocre game underneath. I just can't get over the janky gameplay, retarded AI and lack of character or story depth. Gonna finish the main story but that's it. I can't be arsed to do the sidequests when the gameplay and travel just feels like a chore.

Mayyhem

Okay apparently I can't play this game anymore even though I want too (wont load my game, tried everything, loaded couple times after 30 mins but then lagged and froze). Ah well, good while it lasted I guess.

-GOUKI-

Im at the part where you
talk to the dragon on the throat of the world and i need to either ask the graybeards for help or the blades. What are the consequences for choosing one over the other? I like both :/

Morokh

Can you just tell her to "go there"?

But yeah I hate when they block doors, I've mashed buttons too in frustration.

talk to them, choose the 'I want you to do something' line, your crosshair will change (point somewhere else) if you point to a location you can command them to wait there by pressing E, if you point at an enemy, you can command them to attack him.

exYle

Funny you should mention, I literally JUST saved over the only save file I had for my second character. 50+ hours, just gone =(

There isn't any chance there are cached saves on a 360 hard drive, is there? Anyone?

Im at the part where you
talk to the dragon on the throat of the world and i need to either ask the graybeards for help or the blades. What are the consequences for choosing one over the other? I like both :/

At this point, there's no real consequence, I think.
You just pick one because it's closer than the other, or because you like them more.
But later on
you WILL have to make a choice... You'll know it when it happens.

talk to them, choose the 'I want you to do something' line, your crosshair will change (point somewhere else) if you point to a location you can command them to wait there by pressing E, if you point at an enemy, you can command them to attack him.

I THINK (ergo, not sure) that holding down the A-button while talking to them will have the same effect as doing what you just said.

Funny you should mention, I literally JUST saved over the only save file I had for my second character. 50+ hours, just gone =(

There isn't any chance there are cached saves on a 360 hard drive, is there? Anyone?

I doubt it, sorry man. :(

I usually keep three or more saves, but only one that's really 'active'. Once I'm done with a character, I take him to a place with a pretty background, turn the camera towards him, and make two saves. One stays on my HDD, the other goes on my memory card. I then delete the other saves I have left of him.

ElyrionX

I have kind of a game direction question for the pros here, this is my first Elder Scrolls game and I am really enjoying just stumbling through it.

BUT I am kind of feeling like because of some choices I've made I'm missing out.

I'm level 18 (about 25 hours?), and have been using heavy armor and two-handed axe/sword for basically the whole game. My two-handed I think is at 49 or so, I've put two perks into that, and heavy armor is about the same, maybe four perks in that. Still, it's getting to the point where against some stronger foes I can't just run in swinging without blowing through a ton of potions.

I realized though that after I started messing with the Thieves' Guild I really love lockpicking/sneaking/pickpocketing and so I want to do more of that, be kind of a stealth fighter. So I put a few perks into lockpicking and sneaking and whatnot... but with my two-handed weapons and heavy armor I just have no chance sneaking around.

I'm so far down the two-handed/heavy path now, but I'd really like to refocus as an archer/sneaker with maybe something for upclose (daggers?) and some restorative magic. Is it too late? I mean, are the skill gains so far away that I don't have time? What would you recommend I do at this juncture?

It's not too late. I switched from Sneak/Destruction to Sneak/Archery at around level 38 and then to Heavy Armor/One-Handed at level 50. If it gets too difficult, consider grinding Smithing and Enchanting to get better armor and weapons to help you along.

Got my first bugged quest, I need to collect a book for the librarian at Winterhold but it would seem I already cleared out that dungeon when I stumbled upon it some time ago. I've got the book in my inventory, but the option to give it to him doesn't appear. Looks like its a known bug on the PC as well, but that is fixed by a console command, no such luck on 360. Boo-urns.

Also, should I hang onto the dragon bones I loot, or can they be sold for profit? I've been keeping them all in the hope that they might prove to be important later in the game, but so far there is no option to use them anywhere.

NBtoaster

Got my first bugged quest, I need to collect a book for the librarian at Winterhold but it would seem I already cleared out that dungeon when I stumbled upon it some time ago. I've got the book in my inventory, but the option to give it to him doesn't appear. Looks like its a known bug on the PC as well, but that is fixed by a console command, no such luck on 360. Boo-urns.

Also, should I hang onto the dragon bones I loot, or can they be sold for profit? I've been keeping them all in the hope that they might prove to be important later in the game, but so far there is no option to use them anywhere.

They're for armor crafting. Scales are mainly for light, bones for heavy.

That book quest is borxed for me too, i did the same thing.

This may have come up already but i don't want to go through 16,000 posts, does anyone know have advice on how to start the Windhelm Murderer quest?

I know how it's supposed to start, but that event doesn't seem to happen, is it something to do with fast travelling as opposed to walking? Entering the city at a certain time of day? Talking to someone first?

This type of thing annoys the hell out of me, I've got a few quests that are like this.

NBtoaster

This may have come up already but i don't want to go through 16,000 posts, does anyone know have advice on how to start the Windhelm Murderer quest?

I know how it's supposed to start, but that event doesn't seem to happen, is it something to do with fast travelling as opposed to walking? Entering the city at a certain time of day? Talking to someone first?

That quest is super bugged. The conditions for starting it should be entering windhelm 4 times, and then entering at night through the main gate. Someting else can mess with it and it can become impossible to start.

Arjen

I'm having the same problem, it's my last house i need in my collection and it just won't freaking start.

soldat7

I feel like the best thing about this game is the scenery. Bethesda really did an incredible job of creating an amazing, beautiful open world. Probably the best open world I've ever seen in an open world game. Just amazing. I can see how that alone would be enough to suck people in and immerse them in the game.

But once you start to see past the beauty and scenery of the world, I feel like it's a pretty mediocre game underneath. I just can't get over the janky gameplay, retarded AI and lack of character or story depth. Gonna finish the main story but that's it. I can't be arsed to do the sidequests when the gameplay and travel just feels like a chore.

The sidequests and random dungeons are some of the best experiences though. If anything, avoid the main quest and just explore.

I have lost an inkwell and a pretty golden (stolen) statue by placing them in the house and coming back later, but I do have some gems on the bed sidetable that have been there just fine. I probably would say not to risk it, but then again it's only some gold.

It's those sneak-thief guards. There's always one in my house trying to take my sweet rolls.

And remember, when your companion or anyone else is blocking the doorway, just bash your way through them by using the run button. It's actually sorta fun.

Effect

I forget, does the world of Skyrim level up with you as you progress in the game or do certain areas have a set level range?

Was making my way to Ivarstead and noticed the increase of bandits, etc. Just ran on my horse the entire way but quickly realized at level 6 I think it would have been very dangerous to go on foot. Made it there but decided to go back to Dragonreach. Figure it might be better to just explore that area and level up some unless that's going to cause even more problems if the world just scales with me.

Or is one not suppose to push on just with the story and the increase in difficulty is the game's way of telling me to do other things first?

Jeff Chen

Banned

Make sure to immediately create a new save file after dropping the money. That will make sure the stuff you dropped inside the house are remembered. But to be honest, I still find stuff changing position by doing this - however, they never get lost.

I forget, does the world of Skyrim level up with you as you progress in the game or do certain areas have a set level range?

Was making my way to Ivarstead and noticed the increase of bandits, etc. Just ran on my horse the entire way but quickly realized at level 6 I think it would have been very dangerous to go on foot. Made it there but decided to go back to Dragonreach. Figure it might be better to just explore that area and level up some unless that's going to cause even more problems if the world just scales with me.

Or is one not suppose to push on just with the story and the increase in difficulty is the game's way of telling me to do other things first?

The world does indeed level-up with you, although not everything levels up at the same rate and certain creatures will become super easy to defeat as you go, while others will scale more appropriately.

You are suppose to be able to explore the world freely, without a lot of fear of running into things you can't handle, but that said, there are certain creatures that are going to offer low level characters more of a challenge. The first time I strayed too close to a giant, for example, I was probably about level 4 or 5 and he hit me so hard I nearly went into orbit. Seriously, the animation was hilarious. Now, at level 45, I can handle a few direct shots from the giant, and take them out fairly easily.

Andrew.

Banned
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT
YOU GET FOR FINDING ALL THE "UNUSUAL GEMS AND THE CROWN THEY GO IN
FROM VEX IN THE RAGGED FLAGGON?

Andrew.

Banned
are there such thing as boots or shoes that make your footsteps silent?...i know there is something like that in the sneak perk tree...but im still on the lower branches.

are there such thing as boots or shoes that make your footsteps silent?...i know there is something like that in the sneak perk tree...but im still on the lower branches.
Yeah I just found some last night, they're heavy armor though. (Can't remember exactly where I got them but it was during the Companion questline.)

Hey I have a question. I still haven't gotten the hang of the quick select. I want to alternate between healing and fire with my left hand, so i set those up as 1 and 2, but when I press right or left on the d-pad it makes my sword go away (in my right hand.) what am I doing wrong?

Jeff Chen

Banned

That is an enchantment - Muffle. There is also a perk called "Muffled Movement" that does the same thing. Combining the two will be epic.

Hey I have a question. I still haven't gotten the hang of the quick select. I want to alternate between healing and fire with my left hand, so i set those up as 1 and 2, but when I press right or left on the d-pad it makes my sword go away (in my right hand.) what am I doing wrong?

Using the quick select option is easy, but it does take a bit to get comfortable with. My character usually has a fire spell marked in his #1 spot and a healing spell in his #2 spot. So when I want to use the fire spell in my left hand and a sword in my right hand, I simply push to the left on the D-Pad and that configuration comes up when I draw my weapon.

Now, after I'm done fighting and I want to heal, I want to switch to the healing spell to quickly get back up to strength. So I then push to the right on the D-pad which will alternate the spell in my left hand. After healing myself up, I push left again, and it takes me back to the fire spell.

If you push left again however, it'll put your #1 spell, in this case my fire spell, onto your right hand as well. This is good if you have duel-casting and can combine those spells for massive damage, but in the heat of the moment, if you do it without meaning to, you can end up really scrambling. It is also a bit of a pain to have to go back and find your sword again in the list of favorite items. By the way, in the case of my configuration, if I push right twice on the D-Pad to select my healing spell, it will also appear in both hands.

Personally, I'm not exactly happy with how they designed the access to your favorite items. Maybe I'm outside the norm, but I have quite a few different spells, weapons, shouts, and other things listed on my favorites, and I have to scroll through a long list jut to find the one item that I want. I wish they would have made it so that when you initially bring up your Favorites list it would then have them organized into "Weapons", "Spells", "Shouts," and so on. Then you would simply navigate to the category you're looking for and see the items that you have selected as favorites. It would make it a lot faster and simpler for me, especially when I'm regularly switching between a bow and a sword, and have an Ebony Dagger that I keep around just for its Soul Trap functionality.

That quest is super bugged. The conditions for starting it should be entering windhelm 4 times, and then entering at night through the main gate. Someting else can mess with it and it can become impossible to start.
Nuts, it should have happened by now then. Guess i'll just have to continue to put up with the local populace moaning about a murderer.

Question about how far through the main quest I am:

Just found the dude way out in the ice cave, who told me where to find an Elder Scroll. I'm now going to some Dweven place to find it.

Question about how far through the main quest I am:

Just found the dude way out in the ice cave, who told me where to find an Elder Scroll. I'm now going to some Dweven place to find it.

Another related question:

If i find him before i reach him in the main quest is that going to screw it up?

Another related question:

If i find him before i reach him in the main quest is that going to screw it up?

No.
You'll have the Elder Scroll in your inventory already, unless you decide to leave it there. So at the very most, it'll just have Parthuurnax going "Oh, I should have known, you little Dovahkiin rascal, finding Elder Scrolls everywhere!" or something like that.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So far I've been play pure warrior/thief/mage characters so far. I haven't tinkered with hybrid skills characters yet (battle mage/spellsword, etc). But I want to try being a cleric/healer character who specializes in Restoration/Alteration. Since you can now have companions, I plan to let them do all the fighting while I hang in the back using healing/buff spells. Anyone else try this yet?

Jeff Chen

Banned
So far I've been play pure warrior/thief/mage characters so far. I haven't tinkered with hybrid skills characters yet (battle mage/spellsword, etc). But I want to try being a cleric/healer character who specializes in Restoration/Alteration. Since you can now have companions, I plan to let them do all the fighting while I hang in the back using healing/buff spells. Anyone else try this yet?

I'm not sure if the leveling problem of the companions have been fixed already. With you and the mobs leveling up, the companions stay at a very low level and can be one-shot later in the game. Your healing & buffs won't help.

At first I was sketchy about this game, but the Fallout3 additions since Oblivion make it work a lot better.

The only problem I have is time. I played for 9 hours straight at like 7 hours in I was hungry but I kept going another 2 before I could pull away and get downstairs.I feel like I just got off a 3 day bender.

I feel a little gross after this weekend. Like I've done something wrong.

Too addicting.

I also keep getting sidetracked off the main quest.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Esch

Banned

i would recommend staying way from this strategy simply because most companions are not that stellar with a few exceptions like Illia, Marcurio, Farkas, etc. Not to mention the AI for this game is dumb as shit and simply can't deal with mobs the way a human brain can. If you were to attempt to do something like this, i would highly recommend another subspecialization like illusion magic to keep dudes off you. Alteration would be a must.

GhaleonEB

i would recommend staying way from this strategy simply because most companions are not that stellar with a few exceptions like Illia, Marcurio, Farkas, etc. Not to mention the AI for this game is dumb as shit and simply can't deal with mobs the way a human brain can. If you were to attempt to do something like this, i would highly recommend another subspecialization like illusion magic to keep dudes off you. Alteration would be a must.

An Alteration (start fights, keep them off of you) and Conjuration (send creatures to fight the dudes while they're busy fighting each other) specialty would work well, with Restoration on the side, with companions in the mix. But yeah, relying just on companions wouldn't work well.

I'm loving my Alteration/Archer character so much. I just went through the last quest to get the house in Markarth and had guys fighting each other most of the time, while I chipped the battles down evenly from afar.

Ran into a bug, though. This quest was in the cave that leads to a set of towers by the roadside on the way to Markarth. There's a hagraven in a cage near the entrance, and she tells me her tower was stolen by a rival hagraven, and asks me to kill her rival and then set her free. I kill the other hagraven, but it doesn't update the Misc. task to show it - it's still asking me to kill her. So I can't set the one in the cage free. Bummer.

I got the house in Markarth with all three of my characters, and all three times the Jarl's second quest was to a different location. Each played out entirely differently from one another. The Radiant quest system does pay some nice dividends when rolling multiple characters.

Top Bottom