• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

lil smoke

Banned
If we could have 3 perm companions it might work well. I have been trying to play as a low level fighter (coward) who relies a lot on my companion and conjuration, but I definitely have to assist a lot.

Play as a healer that only fights when needed. You can always be blocking distraction, you can always make enemies flee (Dawnbreaker works well in some instances), calm... anything to buy time. It's not exactly 100%, but almost feasible. You won't play the entire game this way, but can be a challenge in some scenarios.

--be careful with the fire runes :LOL

If we could have 3 perm companions it might work well. I have been trying to play as a low level fighter (coward) who relies a lot on my companion and conjuration, but I definitely have to assist a lot.

Play as a healer that only fights when needed. You can always be blocking distraction, you can always make enemies flee (Dawnbreaker works well in some instances), calm... anything to buy time. It's not exactly 100%, but almost feasible. You won't play the entire game this way, but can be a challenge in some scenarios.

--be careful with the fire runes :LOL

two dead thralls is kinda like two extra companions lol

Esch

Banned
An Alteration (start fights, keep them off of you) and Conjuration (send creatures to fight the dudes while they're busy fighting each other) specialty would work well, with Restoration on the side, with companions in the mix. But yeah, relying just on companions wouldn't work well.

An alteration/conjuration tank mage type character works great with a breton but I get the feeling he's not into that and wants to RP a 'good' type character. Which sucks because all the offensive magic in this game is daedra derived and evil as fuck, lol.

What is the trick to selling stuff in this game? I have so much stuff I'd like to sell, but no one has nearly enough money to give me. Stuff just keeps piling up in my chest.

vixlar

Using the quick select option is easy, but it does take a bit to get comfortable with. My character usually has a fire spell marked in his #1 spot and a healing spell in his #2 spot. So when I want to use the fire spell in my left hand and a sword in my right hand, I simply push to the left on the D-Pad and that configuration comes up when I draw my weapon.

Now, after I'm done fighting and I want to heal, I want to switch to the healing spell to quickly get back up to strength. So I then push to the right on the D-pad which will alternate the spell in my left hand. After healing myself up, I push left again, and it takes me back to the fire spell.

If you push left again however, it'll put your #1 spell, in this case my fire spell, onto your right hand as well. This is good if you have duel-casting and can combine those spells for massive damage, but in the heat of the moment, if you do it without meaning to, you can end up really scrambling. It is also a bit of a pain to have to go back and find your sword again in the list of favorite items. By the way, in the case of my configuration, if I push right twice on the D-Pad to select my healing spell, it will also appear in both hands.

Personally, I'm not exactly happy with how they designed the access to your favorite items. Maybe I'm outside the norm, but I have quite a few different spells, weapons, shouts, and other things listed on my favorites, and I have to scroll through a long list jut to find the one item that I want. I wish they would have made it so that when you initially bring up your Favorites list it would then have them organized into "Weapons", "Spells", "Shouts," and so on. Then you would simply navigate to the category you're looking for and see the items that you have selected as favorites. It would make it a lot faster and simpler for me, especially when I'm regularly switching between a bow and a sword, and have an Ebony Dagger that I keep around just for its Soul Trap functionality.

What I would like to be is: When you chose an item or magic as favorite, it let you chose one of four directions. And instead of having one favorites menu, you have 4. So, when you press up, in the directional pad, you chose weapons, down poisons, left magics, etc.

In that way the "easy favorites" would be lost, but really, I would like to have 4 organized menus than two easy access.

2 companions makes for 3 conjured = 6 player force! Although that is a lot of dumb Mr. Frostys stomping around.

staff of the storm atronach is cool

I have Areana Lenith plus two conjurer dead thralls right now. So it gets pretty AWESOME when I storm camps. Fucking legendary every time. Shit EVERYWHERE. Especially with a dog or two.

lil smoke

Banned
What I would like to be is: When you chose an item or magic as favorite, it let you chose one of four directions. And instead of having one favorites menu, you have 4. So, when you press up, in the directional pad, you chose weapons, down poisons, left magics, etc.

In that way the "easy favorites" would be lost, but really, I would like to have 4 organized menus than two easy access.
Wow, Excellent idea.

Esch

Banned
What is the trick to selling stuff in this game? I have so much stuff I'd like to sell, but no one has nearly enough money to give me. Stuff just keeps piling up in my chest.

Rich merchant mods or fast traveling or giving shit to companions to carry for you.

Merchants just don't have enough gold for the Dovahkiin's fat lewt.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Level up your Speech ability. You should be able to fund shopkeepers so that they don't run out of gold.

clashfan

I'm alittle confused about filling soul gems. I had an empty grand soul gem. I trapped a petty soul in it. Am I screwed? Can I capture more souls to fill up that grand soul gem?

Levelling up speechcraft will give most shopkeepers around 2500 gold every 48 hours and you can sell any item, including stolen, to any vendor. Some of the food stalls and inn keepers have lower, but in Whiterun I think there's about 6 or 7 merchants with 2500, and a couple with 1500-ish gold, so it should be easy to make money very quickly.

There is a very simple bug/cheat to level up speechcraft in the Black-Briar Meadery in Riften, look it up on youtube or google if you don't want to wait.

Using the quick select option is easy, but it does take a bit to get comfortable with. My character usually has a fire spell marked in his #1 spot and a healing spell in his #2 spot. So when I want to use the fire spell in my left hand and a sword in my right hand, I simply push to the left on the D-Pad and that configuration comes up when I draw my weapon.

Now, after I'm done fighting and I want to heal, I want to switch to the healing spell to quickly get back up to strength. So I then push to the right on the D-pad which will alternate the spell in my left hand. After healing myself up, I push left again, and it takes me back to the fire spell.

If you push left again however, it'll put your #1 spell, in this case my fire spell, onto your right hand as well. This is good if you have duel-casting and can combine those spells for massive damage, but in the heat of the moment, if you do it without meaning to, you can end up really scrambling. It is also a bit of a pain to have to go back and find your sword again in the list of favorite items. By the way, in the case of my configuration, if I push right twice on the D-Pad to select my healing spell, it will also appear in both hands.

Personally, I'm not exactly happy with how they designed the access to your favorite items. Maybe I'm outside the norm, but I have quite a few different spells, weapons, shouts, and other things listed on my favorites, and I have to scroll through a long list jut to find the one item that I want. I wish they would have made it so that when you initially bring up your Favorites list it would then have them organized into "Weapons", "Spells", "Shouts," and so on. Then you would simply navigate to the category you're looking for and see the items that you have selected as favorites. It would make it a lot faster and simpler for me, especially when I'm regularly switching between a bow and a sword, and have an Ebony Dagger that I keep around just for its Soul Trap functionality.
OK thanks... That's somewhat confusing but I'll try it your way tonight.

hey neuro...may i ask why you've been dubbed the mayor of boston? you from bean town?
I don't know why *I* got it, per se, but it appeared during the Penny Arcade/Avenger controller customer service debacle. I guess I was just stirring up shit more than usual. And no I'm from Baltimore.

GhaleonEB

I'm alittle confused about filling soul gems. I had an empty grand soul gem. I trapped a petty soul in it. Am I screwed? Can I capture more souls to fill up that grand soul gem?

Only one soul per gem. However, apparently if you drop it on the ground it will lose its soul and you can re-fill it.

Levelling up speechcraft will give most shopkeepers around 2500 gold every 48 hours and you can sell any item, including stolen, to any vendor. Some of the food stalls and inn keepers have lower, but in Whiterun I think there's about 6 or 7 merchants with 2500, and a couple with 1500-ish gold, so it should be easy to make money very quickly.

There is a very simple bug/cheat to level up speechcraft in the Black-Briar Meadery in Riften, look it up on youtube or google if you don't want to wait.

Don't power level speech too high if you are low level. The dungeons scale to your level. If your combat skills aren't up to par, it's going to be tough. I screwed myself over by leveling pickpocking high lol.

At first I was sketchy about this game, but the Fallout3 additions since Oblivion make it work a lot better.

The only problem I have is time. I played for 9 hours straight at like 7 hours in I was hungry but I kept going another 2 before I could pull away and get downstairs.I feel like I just got off a 3 day bender.

I feel a little gross after this weekend. Like I've done something wrong.

Too addicting.

I also keep getting sidetracked off the main quest.

Nothing wrong with it, Juices. Nothing at all.

Got my Platinum after 93 hours.... there were some VERY dull and boring trophies but after all not THAT hard.

12455568.jpg

Seriously... and really easily, one of the best games of all time... and starting THIS very moment I can't wait for TESVI for for next generation :D

Sober

So I can't believe I just put a perk point into Elven Smithing just for an extra two damage in a Flawless Elven Warhammer vs a Flawless Dwarven Warhammer.

It's okay, I'm only level 21.

Well, just received a reply from DirectSong for my shitty soundtrack packaging-problem...

"I'll put in a request to replace your copy. Stay tuned!"

Well, certainly helpful. :lol

Should I become a werewolf or not? Are there other mythical forms I can become?

That, or vampire. There aren't really any downsides to becoming a werewolf, while vampires have loads (though it's a more than viable playstyle when used correctly). You have to become a werewolf to advance the Companions questline - unfortunately, they make the choice for you.

Xamdou

That, or vampire. There aren't really any downsides to becoming a werewolf, while vampires have loads (though it's a more than viable playstyle when used correctly). You have to become a werewolf to advance the Companions questline - unfortunately, they make the choice for you.

Can I change to a vampire after becoming a werewolf?

RedSwirl

I think I'm gonna go ahead and start a second character who won't engage in the main quest at all. She's probably going to be a straight-up thief/assassin and I was wondering what stats and equipment to focus on. Also, I actually haven't stolen anything in any of these games since Fallout 3 at this point and was wondering how people generally go crazy with it without getting caught.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Got my Platinum after 93 hours.... there were some VERY dull and boring trophies but after all not THAT hard.

12455568.jpg

Seriously... and really easily, one of the best games of all time... and starting THIS very moment I can't wait for TESVI for for next generation :D

Here:

6618355783_f688376898.jpg

I got my plat at 319 hours.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So glad showracemenu doesn't screw with your stats if you leave race and gender alone. It let me make rework my Wood Elf a bit to fit the style of play and armor I have going. Much happier now.

Can I change to a vampire after becoming a werewolf?

Well, you can
cure your lycanthrope later on, and then become a vampire.
But no, not both at the same time.

cdyhybrid

My first and current character is a thief/assassin/archer, and once I finish the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild questlines I think I'm going to make a new character to experience other quests. Gonna be a death knight type - heavy armor, two hand swords, necromancy-type Conjuration, and a bit of Frost destruction. Feels like that would be a character more suited conceptually to complete the Companions, the main quest, and the Civil War.

After that, I'll make my final character, focusing on 1H sword + magic, particularly Illusion and Destruction, wearing a robe and light armor, inspired by Aizen from Bleach :p I plan to make that one the completionist character, and and I'll probably try to do it all on Master. It'll be my "ultimate" character.

Planning to familiarize myself with Magic and heavy melee combat with my death knight. Probably play through him on Expert. Probably going to be some struggles, though, since I usually only play thief types.

Any advice for either of these character types?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I was visiting family for a week and didn't get to play at all. Sadly, I was thinking of Skyrim a lot on my vacation.

Today I maxed out my sneak and archery skills. The final sneak perk is really fun. I feel like such a badass running up to someone, crouching and then doing a backstab slo-mo kill. It is so satisfying. The paralyze archery perk is hilarious too. Love paralyzing an enemy when they are on a hill.

I know people complain about the combat, but I love archery in this game. It feels great.

But can you do a werewolf cure quest?
It's part of the Companions questline.

Re: Vampirism, I found it a real hassle in Skyrim and dreaded going in battle with Vampires once I got cured. From what I remember in Oblivion I found the detect life and night vision stuff so helpful, I stayed a vampire for almost my entire playthrough and enjoyed the roleplaying aspect of breaking into houses and feeding at night. I remember on my second character immediately sleeping outdoors so I could get bit. Not so in Skyrim.

RedSwirl

My first and current character is a thief/assassin/archer, and once I finish the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild questlines I think I'm going to make a new character to experience other quests. Gonna be a death knight type - heavy armor, two hand swords, necromancy-type Conjuration, and a bit of Frost destruction. Feels like that would be a character more suited conceptually to complete the Companions, the main quest, and the Civil War.

After that, I'll make my final character, focusing on 1H sword + magic, particularly Illusion and Destruction, wearing a robe and light armor, inspired by Aizen from Bleach :p I plan to make that one the completionist character, and and I'll probably try to do it all on Master. It'll be my "ultimate" character.

Planning to familiarize myself with Magic and heavy melee combat with my death knight. Probably play through him on Expert. Probably going to be some struggles, though, since I usually only play thief types.

Any advice for either of these character types?

See I'm coming from the opposite direction. My first/primary character was a mix between warrior, assassin, and archer. Used heavy armor and greatswords with some archery and stealth skills mixed in.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
One more Daedric artifact until I hit 1000/1000. First game I've ever managed that. Can't wait to move onto something else!

Been playing since Christmas and this game is great. Up to level 30 and have done the first few main quests...

My character also woke up in the middle of Whiterun lacking any clothes and also lacking fitness though...

E038F1E2EE305290ADE57F8F76F3ECA1E330D9A9

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I was visiting family for a week and didn't get to play at all. Sadly, I was thinking of Skyrim a lot on my vacation.

Today I maxed out my sneak and archery skills. The final sneak perk is really fun. I feel like such a badass running up to someone, crouching and then doing a backstab slo-mo kill. It is so satisfying. The paralyze archery perk is hilarious too. Love paralyzing an enemy when they are on a hill.

I know people complain about the combat, but I love archery in this game. It feels great.

Is it just me or does Archery take a long time to level?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Just started playing the game after a bit of a hiatus while I focused on other games I got recently over the Christmas holiday.

Anyway, I noticed that I had another download on the X360 version - does anyone know if this recent patch, I assume, fixed any quest glitches or when quest glitch fixes are coming out? I've run into two that I would like to get fixed. :/

Top Bottom