• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

cdyhybrid

Is it just me or does Archery take a long time to level?

It levels up pretty fast for me since I installed that dragon mod. Run into a dragon all the time and have to arrow it to death because I'm a stealth type. Takes a while to do but it's not too bad. Just need to find a good place where I can duck in and out to avoid breath attacks.

TTG

More time than hand to hand, but once you get midway through, you become a sniping god.

Yep, the perks you need are a couple of fortify damage, zoom and slow time(1st stage). Additionally, you can also get stagger boost. Archery is one skill that you don't really need to put a lot of perks into, sneaking even more so. It's slow to level up, but you don't need to be at a high level for it to be deadly. It doesn't take long at all before you can use bow and arrow about 90% of the time.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I usually use trainers for archery. It is hard to level if you kill almost everything with one hit in a normal playthrough. With exploitation of the enchanting-alchemy-smithing synergy, everything pretty much does die in one hit.

How many levels can I reasonably gain in Archery if I use trainers? I'm around level 51 at the moment. I've got 30,000 gold with no clue what to spend it on (I never buy armor/weapons, and I don't really see the point to having more than one house).

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the critical shot/damage perks for the Archery and One-Handed skills? Worth it to invest in those (thought I heard they become pointless as you get more powerful)? Or how about investing more than one perk point into the base stealth skill? Seems like one point makes you 20% harder to detect, and a second point only makes you 25% harder to detect. Doesn't seem worth it.

BLACKLAC

How many levels can I reasonably gain in Archery if I use trainers? I'm around level 51 at the moment. I've got 30,000 gold with no clue what to spend it on (I never buy armor/weapons, and I don't really see the point to having more than one house).

You can use a trainer 5 times max each time your character levels, once you're at 5/5 you would have to level your character before you can use a trainer again, any trainer.

Once you hit level 90 in any skill you can no longer use a trainer for that skill. It gets expensive at level 80+.

Just started playing the game after a bit of a hiatus while I focused on other games I got recently over the Christmas holiday.

Anyway, I noticed that I had another download on the X360 version - does anyone know if this recent patch, I assume, fixed any quest glitches or when quest glitch fixes are coming out? I've run into two that I would like to get fixed. :/

No real quest fixes yet. And the glitches you ran into with a certain playthrough probably won't get fixed for that particular playthrough.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the critical shot/damage perks for the Archery and One-Handed skills? Worth it to invest in those (thought I heard they become pointless as you get more powerful)? Or how about investing more than one perk point into the base stealth skill? Seems like one point makes you 20% harder to detect, and a second point only makes you 25% harder to detect. Doesn't seem worth it.

I personally think the perks that offer more damage and increased criticals are worth it because you can never deal enough damage. I've got both my archery and one-handed skills just about maxed out, and there are times when I'm glad I'm dealing as much damage as I can. There are still some enemies that I face that are a real challenge at times.

DukeSucks

I enchanted a forsworn bow with fire. Is it possible to enchant it with something else later, or do I have to find another one to enchant it with it another effect? I wanted to make a frosty bow, but had to use a weaker hunting bow since I only had one forsworn, even though it was depleted at the time.

I enchanted a forsworn bow with fire. Is it possible to enchant it with something else later, or do I have to find another one to enchant it with it another effect? I wanted to make a frosty bow, but had to use a weaker hunting bow since I only had one forsworn, even though it was depleted at the time.

You can add two effects to an item, but you need to improve your enchanting skill and pick perks along the enchanting skill tree.

I can't...stop...playing this. I Have games like Uncharted 3, Arkham City, and Saints Row sitting on my shelf unplayed and I still can't make myself remove Skyrim from my Xbox.

You can add two effects to an item, but you need to improve your enchanting skill and pick perks along the enchanting skill tree.

I don't think that's retroactive, either. So if you enchanted a bow with fire damage before getting that perk, you won't be able to add frost enchantment to it.

soldat7

The game is officially too easy on the default difficulty. I'm still wearing very basic armor and just using non-enchanted but upgraded greatsword. I'm tearing through stuff like rice paper.

I don't think that's retroactive, either. So if you enchanted a bow with fire damage before getting that perk, you won't be able to add frost enchantment to it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right on this as well, and I meant to include it, but couldn't remember if there was a perk that allowed you to improve items after they've already been created. I think it is a one-shot deal though. Everything has to be included at the start.

I think my companion quest is bugged .I've just joined the companions (I got the achievement for it) and after Farkas showed me the sleeping place, he ordered me to intimidate Severio Pelagia in Whiterun but there is no marker to find him. Is this a known issue? I've completed the dark brotherhood so maybe I've already killed him.

GhaleonEB

The game is officially too easy on the default difficulty. I'm still wearing very basic armor and just using non-enchanted but upgraded greatsword. I'm tearing through stuff like rice paper.

I found the next difficulty up to be a good balance. It reminds me of the difference between Normal and Heroic in Halo games - the latter is the sweet spot.

I'm playing on Master which I'm enjoying a great deal, but it can be punishing.

Andrew.

Banned
It levels up pretty fast for me since I installed that dragon mod. Run into a dragon all the time and have to arrow it to death because I'm a stealth type. Takes a while to do but it's not too bad. Just need to find a good place where I can duck in and out to avoid breath attacks.

-sounds like the tactic i used on the dragons in Demon's/Dark Souls....lol

soldat7

I found the next difficulty up to be a good balance. It reminds me of the difference between Normal and Heroic in Halo games - the latter is the sweet spot.

I'm playing on Master which I'm enjoying a great deal, but it can be punishing.

Cool, I try the next level up. Thanks!

Sec0nd

Quick you guys, I need your help! I need a cave or whatever that has only/lots of spiders in it. My gf is coming over and she is terrified of spiders and I'm going to let her play some Skyrim. I've shown her some Skyrim footage on youtube of a Giant Spider and she was terrified! It's going to be hilarious.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Quick you guys, I need your help! I need a cave or whatever that has only/lots of spiders in it. My gf is coming over and she is terrified of spiders and I'm going to let her play some Skyrim. I've shown her some Skyrim footage on youtube of a Giant Spider and she was terrified! It's going to be hilarious.

Frostflow Lighthouse ~there you go~

Atruvius

Film it and post it online! :p

dankir

What difficulty are you guys playing on? My character is level 8 and I was playing on the normal difficulty setting ( can't remember the name ) but goddamn some dungeons are tough, even with a follower helping out in battle.

I've had to to play with the difficulty in some cases just so I make it out alive lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
What difficulty are you guys playing on? My character is level 8 and I was playing on the normal difficulty setting ( can't remember the name ) but goddamn some dungeons are tough, even with a follower helping out in battle.

I've had to to play with the difficulty in some cases just so I make it out alive lol.

I'm usually switching back and forth between Adept and Expert.

Whats good for you is gonna be really dependent on what skills you put points into, what sort of equipment you've gotten, whether you use a companion, what sort of character you've chosen in general, what enemies you're fighting, and the level scaling can be odd at times, causing difficulty spikes here and there.

If you're having a tough time, then you're either at the right level for your current situation or you might want to bump it down further if its feeling overly punishing. Just dont think you have to keep it the same all game long.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Are you playing a magic user? Go dual wielding and heavy armor for easy mode. Honestly, it's easy as a caster, too, assuming you kite everything and exploit enemy pathing. It just takes more time.

Seanspeed

Banned
Are you playing a magic user? Go dual wielding and heavy armor for easy mode. Honestly, it's easy as a caster, too, assuming you kite everything and exploit enemy pathing. It just takes more time.

Or just play however he/she wants to and adjust the difficulty to suit. This shouldn't be a problem unless you've got some ego issue that you're embarrassed to play on easier difficulty levels.

This game can be played in any way you want to and can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be for the most part. Thats one of the great things about it and goes hand-in-hand with the 'make your own adventure' theme of all these Bethesda games.

Ha, that's cute Skyrim. Come on, let me turn in these Larceny Targets I missed earlier. I went back and got them, now let me use them so I can fill up that display in the Thieves Guild.

Skyrim.

...Skyrim?

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

Or just play however he/she wants to and adjust the difficulty to suit. This shouldn't be a problem unless you've got some ego issue that you're embarrassed to play on easier difficulty levels.

This game can be played in any way you want to and can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be for the most part. Thats one of the great things about it and goes hand-in-hand with the 'make your own adventure' theme of all these Bethesda games.

Right, and I've found that the difficulty waxes and wanes some, depending on your level and where you are exploring. There have been more than one occasion where I've started to feel like a complete bad-ass, only to have my head handed to me by a mage or bandit leader.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, sure. I agree with you. That's the nature of Bethesda games. It's also my problem with them. There doesn't appear to be any developer vision to the game mechanics. It's just a collection of loosely implemented systems and there's not a whole lot of consistency. It's also why people shouldn't be ashamed to turn the game down to easy, or even just pop up the console and give themselves gold or items to save time.

Jesus fucking Christ.

So I decide to let off some steam at a Thieves Guild sidequest being permanently broken by a glitch, and decide to do one of the Devlin's jobs. He gives me a numbers job, Haelga's Bunkhouse.

The quest marker inside points to a random crate on the second floor, and not the ledger, which is completely unusable. I looked it up, and this is glitched for everyone. One "workaround" someone found was to go to every single business in Skyrim and try and find one that works, because it might have incorrect text pointing you to the wrong business.

Fuck you Bethesda. Fuck. You.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ.

So I decide to let off some steam at a Thieves Guild sidequest being permanently broken by a glitch, and decide to do one of the Devlin's jobs. He gives me a numbers job, Haelga's Bunkhouse.

The quest marker inside points to a random crate on the second floor, and not the ledger, which is completely unusable. I looked it up, and this is glitched for everyone. One "workaround" someone found was to go to every single business in Skyrim and try and find one that works, because it might have incorrect text pointing you to the wrong business.

Fuck you Bethesda. Fuck. You.

From what I know, these numbers jobs are expendible. You just go to the guy and tell him you don't want to do it, then talk to him again to get a new one. There is nothing to worry about at all.

Shit. I thought I'd managed to finish "Blood on the Ice" without it getting glitched... But afterwards I realized I hadn't talked to someone, so I still had a certain item locked in my inventory. FUCK.

This fucking sucks, I was trying to avoid shit like this. Now I'm stuck with 'A Strange Amulet' in my inventory forever. Thanks a lot, Beth.

McLovin

Back when I first started this game.. I got this quest to get a mammoth tusk. I was so disappointed when the mammoths and giant gang raped me character. So i load up the save and decide to look around when all of a sudden I see this mammoth get thrown straight up and come crashing down in front of me. These random glitches are kind of crazy but at least I got that quest out of the way :)

Shit. I thought I'd managed to finish "Blood on the Ice" without it getting glitched... But afterwards I realized I hadn't talked to someone, so I still had a certain item locked in my inventory. FUCK.

This fucking sucks, I was trying to avoid shit like this. Now I'm stuck with 'A Strange Amulet' in my inventory forever. Thanks a lot, Beth.

that questline seemed to be broken for me too. I think I had one of the silver-???? family members and the mother with the key had vanished for some reason. I also could no longer investigate the crime scene although the quest insisted that I did.

I just broke in the suspected house. after looking through the house, Subsequent events led me to a women name viola, and i was able to finish the quest line. It's was a lot of trouble for something that wasn't very rewarding.

that questline seemed to be broken for me too. I think I had one of the silver-???? family members and the mother with the key had vanished for some reason. I also could no longer investigate the crime scene although the quest insisted that I did.

I just broke in the suspected house. after looking through the house, Subsequent events led me to a women name viola, and i was able to finish the quest line. It's was a lot of trouble for something that wasn't very rewarding.

I finished the quest just fine, but I'm stuck with the goddamn
Necromancer's Amulet
because I didn't give it to the guy. How fucking hard is it to program in a line that says "IfAssociatedQuest= Complete ; Essential= 0".

Doing your job for you here, Bethesda.

But, to remind myself of the positives, I just came across a random encounter I'd never seen before: a group of bandits dressed in Imperial armor they'd looted off of a few soldiers they'd killed. They stopped me on the road and demanded a toll... I gave them a trip to Sovngarde instead.

Necromancer's Amulet
because I didn't give it to the guy. How fucking hard is it to program in a line that says "IfAssociatedQuest= Complete ; Essential= 0".

But, to remind myself of the positives, I just came across a random encounter I'd never seen before: a group of bandits dressed in Imperial armor they'd looted off of a few soldiers they'd killed. They stopped me on the road and demanded a toll... I gave them a trip to Sovngarde instead.

That's what happens when they don't allow themselves enough time to execute their ambitions. Maybe they should have pushed it back a couple months?

Necromancer's Amulet

You're not supposed to give the amulet to anyone, are you?

You're not supposed to give the amulet to anyone, are you?

You are when you first find it. When you speak to
a guard, he directs you to Viola for info about the Butcher, and also remarks that you can sell the amulet to Calixto
. I mean, it's not even a quest objective, but as you can see it can fuck the game up a little bit if you don't do it.

Bullshit, but nothing to be done about it now, I guess.

Yep, so am I. I didn't talk to the guy since there was no reason to (and also
I found his journal fingering him as the killer before the quest even started, even though I couldn't use it, and was scared of tipping him off
), and now I can't remove it from my inventory. Also, everyone on the quest acted like I spoke to the guy about it.

Also, at least two journals are now stuck in my inventory, as well as a lute that I turned in and got a reward for... only I didn't turn it in!? Only they actually have weight (unlike the amulet), so 5 pounds of my inventory are now permanently off-limits.

Yep, so am I.

Also, at least two journals are now stuck in my inventory, as well as a lute that I turned in and got a reward for... only I didn't turn it in!? Only they actually have weight (unlike the amulet), so 5 pounds of my inventory are now permanently off-limits.

They should still count as quest items, so they're weightless.

They should still count as quest items, so they're weightless.

Do they? I don't know, they still have weight numbers on them, and when I try to drop them it tells me that I can't remove quest items from my inventory so I can't quickly check (and if I could do that in the first place, the point would be moot).

Do they? I don't know, they still have weight numbers on them, and when I try to drop them it tells me that I can't remove quest items from my inventory so I can't quickly check (and if I could do that in the first place, the point would be moot).

Yeah, quest items are always weightless regardless of what it says their weight is.

TTG

I had something more fun happen after buying that house and then doing the quest. None of the weapon racks/manequins/plaques worked at all. I just reloaded to a point before I spent like 20k on that house, I guess Belzeebo(I don't actually remember what it's called) in Whiterun is my one and true home.

Quest related stuff getting stuck in the inventory forever has to be common, I probably have at least 5 different items. They clutter up an already messy inventory. Would it hurt to break up apparel and potions up by type? I've given up on trying to find an appropriate health potion for the occasion since there are 5 types in different parts of a huge list...

Well that's a relief at least. I still don't like things permanently cluttering up my inventory though.

Me neither, but I guess I can live with it.

At least with swords that are stuck in your inventory, it seems you can easily equip them in a weapon stand and be rid of them. I wonder if you can equip essential amulets and armor on an armor stand...

Hootie

Finished the main quest! I'm at level 26 right now. The final battle was muuuch easier than I was expecting, but the whole environment of
Sovngarde
made up for it.

Theres still so much left in the game for me to do.

xuchu

Hi, I've finished the main quest and loved it! Want to do the remaining guild quest-lines, but the problem is that I have been - and am - experiencing major slowdowns to point of 0 fps for a couple of seconds, especially when sprinting. My savefile is 11mb, so maybe that has something to do with it, even though I've got the latest update.

I still love the game to death though and for that reason I am starting a new character. Going to be a stealth/backstab player this time around. First point of destination is Riften for Theives guild.

Could anyone give me any tips as to how to avoid lag and slowdowns in this playthrough? I haven't been keeping up on how people have tried to solve the issue. Any ways of stopping the save file from getting so big? Should I always create new saves for instance? Any additional tips on stealth builds would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance.

CloudWolf

Those are probably not bugs.

1. Did you do any of the Dark Brotherhood missions beforehand? Because the woman you're supposed to get the key from is the mother of the woman you can choose to kill in Mourning Never Comes. And if you kill her, the mother will commit suicide and can be found in the bedroom of her mansion (with the key on her corpse).
2. If you talked to the guard he would've mentioned a blood trail leading from the grave. Finding the blood trail can be difficult, but it leads to Hjerim. It took me a while to figure this out as well.

Oh, and after finishing Blood on the Ice, don't forget to visit Windhelm once in a while, that quests has two parts.

as well as a lute that I turned in and got a reward for... only I didn't turn it in!?
I have a flute and a drum I can't remove from my inventory. Also, I can't do the quest for the flute because I found it before I started the misc quest associated with it.

Hi, I've finished the main quest and loved it! Want to do the remaining guild quest-lines, but the problem is that I have been - and am - experiencing major slowdowns to point of 0 fps for a couple of seconds, especially when sprinting. My savefile is 11mb, so maybe that has something to do with it, even though I've got the latest update.

I still love the game to death though and for that reason I am starting a new character. Going to be a stealth/backstab player this time around. First point of destination is Riften for Theives guild.

Could anyone give me any tips as to how to avoid lag and slowdowns in this playthrough? I haven't been keeping up on how people have tried to solve the issue. Any ways of stopping the save file from getting so big? Should I always create new saves for instance? Any additional tips on stealth builds would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance.

Only sure way is to make new characters for every guild questline.

That's what I do, and I'm on the 360 so I don't even get that bug. My first character still had a 17 meg savegame, though, and the other two weren't much better.

Jeff Chen

Banned

Thank you in advance.

Hmm... try to wait a couple of days in-game and see if it is better.

Top Bottom