• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You must be finding only small caves so far, as there are plenty of caves/dungeons that can't be cleared in an hour, let alone a couple of them in that time. I've spent multiple play sessions in some of the larger ones, and thats putting in several hours at a go.

Some dungeons are so intimidating. When I step in and have no idea how long the dungeon is, how much room you'll need for loot, if it's undead, vamps, bandits, ghost. Sometimes I'll go back to town, unload to make room for looting the dungeon and come to find it was only a few rooms. ;_;

lil smoke

Banned
Suddenly the Makarath guards are hostile (I'm inside the Dwemer caves) and my companion says we shouldn't be in here, so I can't finish the quest. I did not steal or kill anyone. This has also happened inside East Empire Company. What gives?

goddamn fix the PS3 version of this game, Bethesda!
I'm not going to do this fucking "rest for 30 days so the world can calm down" bullshit anymore.

I can't even play for longer than 20 minutes before a complete freeze.

This game went from my GOTY to complete shit once I crossed lv.24. Heartbreaking.

Every time I turn this game on (been a week and a half since the last time I played it) I cross my fingers that I'm prompted to update. Nope.

Sorry if this has been brought up ad nauseum, I just need to vent my ongoing frustrations (here and to Bethesda, which I've done...)

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Wow, I found Azura's shrine today. That is quite the sight. The quest was very good too. I really liked the broken underwater fort and that ending fight was pleasantly surprising.

I'd say the daedric quests are some of the best I've come across so far. Very unique and always entertaining.

How do you Wait in this game? Xbox version. I know how to pass the time sleeping, but how do you wait?

Thanks.
Back button.

wilflare

anyone can refresh me on dual-wielding speed "hack?"
read something about equipping dagger on your left and sword on your right will make your player into a dualwielding speed demon or something?

suEcide

Sorry if it's been mentioned here, but the Family Heirloom quest for the Companions...what the fucking Christ? I'm lead to a waterfall that I can not ascend...with no other routes seemingly. Youtube guides, and otherwise, have been no help. Someone, anyone, please...

GhaleonEB

I'd just like to note that the execution when you first enter Solitude is a good opportunity to ascend the guard tower overlooking the crowd and use Frenzy on one of the many citizens gathered below. To say that all hell breaks loose doesn't even begin to describe the results.

TTG

Suddenly the Makarath guards are hostile (I'm inside the Dwemer caves) and my companion says we shouldn't be in here, so I can't finish the quest. I did not steal or kill anyone. This has also happened inside East Empire Company. What gives?

Wait, really? Some areas are off limits. Have you been playing through the Thieves Guild quests with no stealth whatsoever?

So...turns out using 3 word stormcall in Whiterun is pretty entertaining. Shame the shout doesn't really have practical use.

I never got the third word, but a lot of shouts have a very niche use. I unlocked all of them, most at all 3 words, and have tried like 5.

lil smoke

Banned
Wait, really? Some areas are off limits. Have you been playing through the Thieves Guild quests with no stealth whatsoever?
As far as I know I've been pretty slick.

In this case I have to stop an entire branch of quests. Thinking of re-rolling because of this, kinda frustrating as this was a turning point for my character. Want to just go thru and just kill and see what happens, and just let chips fall where they may before I start from scratch with a new perspective.

TTG

As far as I know I've been pretty slick.

In this case I have to stop an entire branch of quests. Thinking of re-rolling because of this, kinda frustrating as this was a turning point for my character. Want to just go thru and just kill and see what happens, and just let chips fall where they may before I start from scratch with a new perspective.

So, we're talking about the quest that sends you to the mage's museum, correct? There are a couple of ways to gain access into the place without setting off alarms(the easiest is just to clear the way into the ruin, which if I remember correctly involves killing one lowly giant spider. Then you have the option of investigating the whole dwemer ruin but it's for an unrelated side quest). This will grant you access to the interior of the museum that's suppose to be open to the public, or will be eventually, but not into the workshop/private area. Most Markarth guards are in that public area, so if you have permission, there's no way you can collect a bounty. Also, you should leave your companion out there, since they suck at sneaking around.

Once you're inside, everyone will turn hostile, but that's where the sneaking comes in. It's not as bad as it seems, just monitor the routes, a lot of times the room will open up with people having an idle conversation in the middle, but they break up eventually. Actually, the hardest part is that first room because there's a permanent guard opposite of the door you need to enter that doesn't move. The other areas have alternate paths and distractions built in to take advantage. Anyway, if you can't distract the guards to walk away from that door, just use an invisibility potion and save often. Obviously no noisy boots/armor etc...

Thieves Guild quest line was my favorite because of quests like that and I never crouched at all outside of those missions at that point. There's gonna be some trial and error, so save often, but I think the game adjusts remarkably well to stealth gameplay, even at a very low sneak level. And the areas are designed for that stuff, unlike the Thalmor embassy in the main quest for example, which just has the premise of you sneaking around... only to position guards leaning against the fucking door you need to enter.

onken

Finally grinded out enchanting level 100, double buffs wooooo. Shame I've pretty much finished all the main quests now, except for Markath bugged one. Few more trophies to go but I think I'll play some other games before I go back for them.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
OK, so I found a black soul gem with a grand soul. I thought by dropping a soul gem would cause it to lose its soul, but no matter how many times I drop the black soul gem, it doesn't empty. Am I doing something wrong?

OK, so I found a black soul gem with a grand soul. I thought by dropping a soul gem would cause it to lose its soul, but no matter how many times I drop the black soul gem, it doesn't empty. Am I doing something wrong?

You can only empty a soul gem by using it, once it's filled, it's filled.

GhaleonEB

You can only empty a soul gem by using it, once it's filled, it's filled.

Dropping a soul gem that is filled with a soul lower than its capacity will cause it to empty out.

If a soul of lowers quality is stored inside a bigger gem, simply drop it and re-pick it from the floor and it will be empty, this helps with having to waste black or grand gems filled with petty souls.
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Gem_(Skyrim)

richiek, you have a grand soul gem filled with a grand soul, so you can't empty it.

GhaleonEB

I have a BLACK soul gem. I thought black soul gems can capture humanoid souls, which are larger than grand souls.

Black soul gems are grand soul gems that can hold humanoid souls. Humanoid souls are the same size as grand souls, they just require a black soul gem to capture. If you have a black soul gem filled with a grand soul, it is filled to capacity.

Question about patches for the 360 version. I remember when the game came out there were problems with installing the game and texture quality glitches. I also remember Bethesda saying it was gonna be fixed in a title update. I've checked some patch notes and I haven't seen anything related to it(unless I accidentally glossed over it).

Has this been fixed and is it OK to install to my HD? I've been playing for close to 90 hours from disc and I'm just wondering because sometimes load times can be a killer when you're fast traveling a lot.

Andrew.

Banned
anyone else have crackling/popping start out of nowhere...is this somewthing thats never gonna go away?? please advise (PS3 version)

KorrZ

Finally got around to trying doing the Into the Mind of Madness quest just now, so fucking good...just so fucking good.

clashfan

Main plot question.
I killed Alduin in Sovngarde
After doing that nobody seems to acknowledged it. Is that the end game? The game seems to go on with the
Whitecloak vs. Imperial plot
. I'm alittle confused. I though the main plot is
killing Alduim
?

GhaleonEB

Somehow I never noticed that Whiterun's profile is a reflection of the Throat of the World and the mountains on either side of it. Even the small buildings on the right have the same profile as the three small mountain peaks behind it. I walked up to this view with my daughters watching and all three of us gasped at once.

IMG_6358.jpg

Wiggum2007

Somehow I never noticed that Whiterun's profile is a reflection of the Throat of the World and the mountains on either side of it. Even the small buildings on the right have the same profile as the three small mountain peaks behind it. I walked up to this view with my daughters watching and all three of us gasped at once.

IMG_6358.jpg

...Whoa

Jeff Chen

Banned

IMG_6358.jpg

Oh wow, interesting find.

Help!!! I have what appears to be a potentially game breaking glitch in the Stormcloak quest line.

The quest is called Liberation of Skyrim and the current task is Liberate Haafingar. I'm in the camp trying to talk to Galmar and he keeps repeating the same line of dialogue, and there's always an arrow above his head, and the quest doesn't progress. I've tried reloading my latest save but this happens every time it seems. Has anyone else had or heard of this?

Edit: also the same exact piece of music, some kind of battle music, keeps playing over and over again. Even when I fast trae somewhere else.

gate777

I haven't played since the middle of December due to constant freezing. My PS3 will reset itself once the game freezes and I'm afraid that will cause permanent damage to it. Any news on patch 1.4 and if it will resolve that? I've played around 140 hours and my save is over 11MB.

Further development: I reloaded an earlier save and the battle music was gone. The guy still wasnt helping me so went to Ulric Storkcloak who said I had to go buy a house in Windhelm but no quest thing ever popped up. Is that a requirement for this quest line?

Edit: an arrow marker appeared for that quest near the East Epire Company Warehouse so I went there to check it out. I get there, battle music starts playing (and never stops). Suddenly it gives me credit for having done part of that quest. What the hell.

I only have two saves, one before The battle of fort hraggstad, and one just after. Both seem to have the same glitches. I don't know what to do.

cdyhybrid

IMG_6358.jpg

Gonna need a hi-res screenshot, stat. That would be an awesome desktop.

Main plot question.
I killed Alduin in Sovngarde
After doing that nobody seems to acknowledged it. Is that the end game? The game seems to go on with the
Whitecloak vs. Imperial plot
. I'm alittle confused. I though the main plot is
killing Alduim
?

Yes, you finished the main quest by doing that.

Further development: I reloaded an earlier save and the battle music was gone. The guy still wasnt helping me so went to Ulric Storkcloak who said I had to go buy a house in Windhelm but no quest thing ever popped up. Is that a requirement for this quest line?

Edit: an arrow marker appeared for that quest near the East Epire Company Warehouse so I went there to check it out. I get there, battle music starts playing (and never stops). Suddenly it gives me credit for having done part of that quest. What the hell.

I only have two saves, one before The battle of fort hraggstad, and one just after. Both seem to have the same glitches. I don't know what to do.

If you're on PC, use console commands. If you're not... Well, you're fucked, I think.

Barrett2

I've encountered a bug where textures and features in the world randomly appear purple and as flat geometric features, and after walking around for more than about 10 minutes the system (360) will hard lock. This is happening on all four of the most recent save files I have loaded.

Anybody else experienced this?

Umm, I just attempted installing the game for the first time. At 10% install I get a "can't read disc error." WTF?

NBtoaster

I've encountered a bug where textures and features in the world randomly appear purple and as flat geometric features, and after walking around for more than about 10 minutes the system (360) will hard lock. This is happening on all four of the most recent save files I have loaded.

I got that a lot on pc before the latest patch (like this?), it usually meant a crash was soon to follow. Haven't heard of it happening on consoles though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna need a hi-res screenshot, stat. That would be an awesome desktop.

I'll try and find a suitable spot for it later if no one has taken a shot with dxtory. It's reaching a little bit still glad someone noticed it. Good conversation and speculation if there is some kind of correlation to it.

Barrett2

I got that a lot on pc before the latest patch (like this?), it usually meant a crash was soon to follow. Haven't heard of it happening on consoles though.

Yeah, that's exactly it. And within a few minutes it crashes.

But now that it won't even install to the HDD, I have no idea. Hopefully a patch fixes it, I basically can't play it anymore. :/

Jeff Chen

Banned

Umm, I just attempted installing the game for the first time. At 10% install I get a "can't read disc error." WTF?

Probably a faulty disc. Exchange it.

Top Bottom