• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Question about patches for the 360 version. I remember when the game came out there were problems with installing the game and texture quality glitches. I also remember Bethesda saying it was gonna be fixed in a title update. I've checked some patch notes and I haven't seen anything related to it(unless I accidentally glossed over it).

Has this been fixed and is it OK to install to my HD? I've been playing for close to 90 hours from disc and I'm just wondering because sometimes load times can be a killer when you're fast traveling a lot.

Dont mean to be annoying but...anybody have an answer to this?

EDIT:Damnit, I just noticed it was in patch notes 1.2. http://www.bethblog.com/2011/11/30/skyrim-1-2-update/

Sorry.

Andrew.

Banned
Hey Blue. Do you know anything about sound crackling or popping. It jut started happening after I started doing the main missions after doing a bunch of side missions...is this something common that will go away? Or is it something thats gonna stick around and ill just have to get used to?

-Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Hey Blue. Do you know anything about sound crackling or popping. It jut started happening after I started doing the main missions after doing a bunch of side missions...is this something common that will go away? Or is it something thats gonna stick around and ill just have to get used to?

-Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

I have no idea... What platform are you playing on again?

Goddammit, "No One Escapes Ciddna Mine" took the strange amulet from my inventory... But afterwards, Thonar Silverblood happily hands it back to you. Should've just given us a chest, Beth.

lil smoke

Banned
Glad I fast traveled a lot during my 1st playthrough. This means on my second character, there are a wealth of locations I haven't seen. I also realized there is a ton of stuff I missed, even through the 1st hour of play. Instead of going straight to Riverwood, I'm just walking around discovering stuff, meeting people I haven't seen, finding stuff I never knew existed. Going to see how much I can do without getting involved in too many quests. Entered Marthal, and I think I'm going to make this my home base for awhile before getting serious. I wonder if it's possible to discover the entire map without questing... at the least it makes for a different sort of game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Somehow I never noticed that Whiterun's profile is a reflection of the Throat of the World and the mountains on either side of it. Even the small buildings on the right have the same profile as the three small mountain peaks behind it. I walked up to this view with my daughters watching and all three of us gasped at once.

IMG_6358.jpg

tesv2012-01-0812-49-2641v4.png

Couldn't find the exact same spot but I ended up settling for a similar profile shot.

xuchu

I would not join the Thieves Guild until your character's a higher level, as the
Thieves Guild armor and Nightingale armor are level scaled.

Where would you suggest going then? Started a new Khajiit character but haven't had time to play much. Using archery from the shadows quite a lot, which is something I neglected to do in my original run.

Just passed Meridia's shrine for the second time in ten minutes... Only difference is there now is a horse frozen mid-stride down the road, it's mouth permanently drooping, it's eyes glazed. It's hind quarters aren't solid, so I can walk through them, while the air a bit in front of its nose it solid and unpassable.

Creepy as fuck.

EDIT: Lol, I attacked it, and the model stayed at the same place... But the actual horse (invisble) moved away in fear. As I hit it one final time to kill it, my xbox crashes.

EDIT DEUX: Lolol, I reload and the horse's model is now frozen in a 'restive' position... But again, with its face drawn in a 'holy shit'-expression and its tail stetched straight after it. :lol

GhaleonEB

Nice shot, LiquidMetal.

A few notes and a question.

While I explored a great deal with my first character, I left a lot of found locations unentered, as I knew I was planning to roll new characters for different aspects of the game. The past few days I found Valthume, which was fantastic and home to this character's first Dragon Priest. His mask is now at home on the mystical collection stand. Seven to go.

I also found Shriekwind Bastion, to the north of Falkreath, which was just drop-dead gorgeous both inside and out. Very unique place. Along the way I also realized that I'd never so much as spoken to anyone in Falkreath - it was just a town I blew through on the way to and from the Dark Brotherhood. Remarkable that at this point in my playtime, I'm still finding big hunks of content I'd never touched.

Main quest question. I've begun the
Aduin's Wall
, and elected to walk there. My companions fell behind (as usual), and along the way I run into
Vuljotnaak, in a location that made for a spectacular battle. I assume the named dragons are scripted, so this ambush along the way was planned. It felt very good to fell him solo, rather than having to rely on distractions.
The tons of potent poisons I've been brewing during my Alchemy sessions have paid off nicely.

How far along the main quest am I? I'm trying to nudge it along gradually, with my Dragon Priest hunting.

Nice shot, LiquidMetal.

A few notes and a question.

While I explored a great deal with my first character, I left a lot of found locations unentered, as I knew I was planning to roll new characters for different aspects of the game. The past few days I found Valthume, which was fantastic and home to this character's first Dragon Priest. His mask is now at home on the mystical collection stand. Seven to go.

I also found Shriekwind Bastion, to the north of Falkreath, which was just drop-dead gorgeous both inside and out. Very unique place. Along the way I also realized that I'd never so much as spoken to anyone in Falkreath - it was just a town I blew through on the way to and from the Dark Brotherhood. Remarkable that at this point in my playtime, I'm still finding big hunks of content I'd never touched.

Main quest question. I've begun the
Aduin's Wall
, and elected to walk there. My companions fell behind (as usual), and along the way I run into
Vuljotnaak, in a location that made for a spectacular battle. I assume the named dragons are scripted, so this ambush along the way was planned. It felt very good to fell him solo, rather than having to rely on distractions.
The tons of potent poisons I've been brewing during my Alchemy sessions have paid off nicely.

How far along the main quest am I? I'm trying to nudge it along gradually, with my Dragon Priest hunting.

Not all that far. And named Dragons actually aren't scripted (except Mirmulmnir and Sahloknir).

Just passed Meridia's shrine for the second time in ten minutes... Only difference is there now is a horse frozen mid-stride down the road, it's mouth permanently drooping, it's eyes glazed. It's hind quarters aren't solid, so I can walk through them, while the air a bit in front of its nose it solid and unpassable.

Creepy as fuck.

EDIT: Lol, I attacked it, and the model stayed at the same place... But the actual horse (invisble) moved away in fear. As I hit it one final time to kill it, my xbox crashes.

EDIT DEUX: Lolol, I reload and the horse's model is now frozen in a 'restive' position... But again, with its face drawn in a 'holy shit'-expression and its tail stetched straight after it. :lol

Haha. Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/K30WMbMWAO0

LiquidMetal14

Falkreath is my second favorite town from a visual standpoint. Only Solitude takes a higher standing but The surroundings and general look of Falkreath make me return for amenities quite often.

Thanks to various Internet sources I was ably to brute force my way past that glitch.

Now my issue is I want to outfit my Whiterun home, but since
The Stormcloaks have taken over the city,
I have no idea who to talk to. Anyone know?

Thanks to various Internet sources I was ably to brute force my way past that glitch.

Now my issue is I want to outfit my Whiterun home, but since
The Stormcloaks have taken over the city,
I have no idea who to talk to. Anyone know?

I'm still looking for a way to get rid of my Strange Amulet... But alas.

I'm re-buying this the moment I get a new PC. Xbox version is great, but those tiny issues can drive me up the wall sometimes.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone help me out?

Non-spoiler

So I'm just wandering around trying to get some more gold, and I walk randomly into this place called "Dead Men's Respite".

Anyway, I think I cleared most of the enemies in the place, but now I can't get out! I dropped down a hole to get where I am, and now the only path forward is a magically sealed door that I can't open.

Is there anything I can do?

Is Severio Pelagia an important quest character? I fought a dragon outside Whiterun and he was killed in the battle. I know he has a house in Whiterun and I looted his house key but he's still dead and if he factors into a quest or something I don't want to be hooped.

Am I?

LiquidMetal14

Can someone help me out?

Non-spoiler

So I'm just wandering around trying to get some more gold, and I walk randomly into this place called "Dead Men's Respite".

Anyway, I think I cleared most of the enemies in the place, but now I can't get out! I dropped down a hole to get where I am, and now the only path forward is a magically sealed door that I can't open.

Is there anything I can do?
Without over thinking it, hit TCL console command and pull yourself out OR there should be some sort of button or lever somewhere.

So last night I was playing around with conjuration. Went from 18 - 75 in it and now I am using the Bound Bow. Is it just me or does the attack power use both conjuration level and archery level? I am taking out Frost Dragons faster with the bound bow (perk in mystic binding) then with my Legendary Glass Bow.

GRRR, I hate how so many quests are bugged, especially when it involves obtaining a unique quest item. I have about 35 pounds worth of quest items that I cannot get rid of even after completing the quests(bards college instrument quests I'm mostly pointing it at you fuckers). Cant stand that I cant store it in my house. What a waste.

GRRR, I hate how so many quests are bugged, especially when it involves obtaining a unique quest item. I have about 35 pounds worth of quest items that I cannot get rid of even after completing the quests(bards college instrument quests I'm mostly pointing it at you fuckers). Cant stand that I cant store it in my house. What a waste.

Those items should be weightless, so they're not encumbering you. They're only annoying in that you can't get them out of your inventory, either.

Some dont, but the stones of barenziah are .5 pounds each, Rjorn's drum is 4, finn's lute is 4, etc.

Are you saying they have a weight value but its not actually contributing to my own carry weight?

Yes. Quest items should all be weightless as long as they're essential (and thus unremoveable), no matter what the menu says about their weight.

Those items should be weightless, so they're not encumbering you. They're only annoying in that you can't get them out of your inventory, either.

Some dont, but the stones of barenziah are .5 pounds each, Rjorn's drum is 4, finn's lute is 4, etc.

Are you saying they have a weight value but its not actually contributing to my own carry weight?

Anybody else getting a blue-colored line on either the very left side or very top of the monitor when the game is loading?

Yeah, I do. Also on the left-hand side. I also got that with Oblivion (even while the game wasn't loading), but only after I started using an HDMI cable.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Glad I fast traveled a lot during my 1st playthrough. This means on my second character, there are a wealth of locations I haven't seen. I also realized there is a ton of stuff I missed, even through the 1st hour of play. Instead of going straight to Riverwood, I'm just walking around discovering stuff, meeting people I haven't seen, finding stuff I never knew existed. Going to see how much I can do without getting involved in too many quests. Entered Marthal, and I think I'm going to make this my home base for awhile before getting serious. I wonder if it's possible to discover the entire map without questing... at the least it makes for a different sort of game.

Wait, so why are you glad you fast traveled a lot during your first playthrough? You make it sound like fast traveling is required to appreciate not fast traveling. lol

RedSwirl

Since this is my first Elder Scrolls game, I'm not all sure on how the factions work. Each one is just it's own quest line right? But how big is each one are they compared to the main quest? How many "big" ones are there? So far I'm aware of The Companions, The Thieve's Guild, and The Dark Brotherhood. The Bard's College doesn't seem to be as large.

Also, do you have to do The Blades and one of the warring factions as part of the main quest?

GhaleonEB

Not all that far. And named Dragons actually aren't scripted (except Mirmulmnir and Sahloknir).

Good to know, on both counts. Thanks.
Since this is my first Elder Scrolls game, I'm not all sure on how the factions work. Each one is just it's own quest line right? But how big is each one are they compared to the main quest? How many "big" ones are there? So far I'm aware of The Companions, The Thieve's Guild, and The Dark Brotherhood. The Bard's College doesn't seem to be as large.

Also, do you have to do The Blades and one of the warring factions as part of the main quest?

The College of Winterhold is a quest line as well. From the three I've completed, they are decent length, not enormous. All offer a good number of side quests, though.

I just read a book in game called Doors Of Oblivion which was great!

About two guys trying to find a way into the realm of Oblivion.

Are there any quests like that?

RedSwirl

Okay so I finished the Thieve's guild. Is there somewhere in their base where I can permanently store items? I don't feel like buying a house.

Okay so I finished the Thieve's guild. Is there somewhere in their base where I can permanently store items? I don't feel like buying a house.
There's a bed in the cistern area that's not owned so I assumed it was mine, I've been storing stuff in the chest by it for a while.

RedSwirl

Is it just me or are the Falmer the most annoying enemies in the game? They look ugly, appear in insane numbers in the longest freaking dungeons, and the whole art design associated with where they hang out looks terrible.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Playing sneaky dual wielding daggers with bow is quite fun, but it show how stupid the AI can be at time. I kill a bandit, his companions try to look for me, then they gave up and go "must been my imagination".

Yeah. Right. This dead guy over there with an arrow on his back is clearly your imagination!

wilflare

really for some mod with better facial animation/sound/voice effects.
it's get annoying listening to Lydia go "I'm sworn to carry your burden"

I would love to have my Follower break into a random Bard song though or update me with rumors as we go along...

GhaleonEB

Playing sneaky dual wielding daggers with bow is quite fun, but it show how stupid the AI can be at time. I kill a bandit, his companions try to look for me, then they gave up and go "must been my imagination".

Yeah. Right. This dead guy over there with an arrow on his back is clearly your imagination!

Yeah, the AI needs a 4th mode:

1) Undetected
2) Search mode
3) Someone just shot me and/or my friend
4) There you are!

They shouldn't fall back to their default position after taking an arrow to the back, or watching their buddy get shot dead in the chair next to them.

It's a decent system, but it's too easy to snipe someone to death because they go back to chilling out because I stepped around the corner.

RedSwirl

What's the advantage of daggers versus dual swords? Been rocking Schimitars for the whole game now.

GhaleonEB

What's the advantage of daggers versus dual swords? Been rocking Schimitars for the whole game now.

The advantage is for a stealth character. There's a perk on the Sneak tree that grants 15x damage for back stabs with a dagger. Toss in a piece of equipment from the DB that doubles back stab damage, and you can deal 30x back stab with daggers. Basically lets you go around slitting throats.

RedSwirl

Okay, so is the Civil War thing not actually a part of the main quest at all? It seems to get as much promotion in the advertising as the main quest itself, which I understand is mainly about the Dragons. Do you have to pick a side in order to finish the main quest?

Sushen

I'm sort of stuck with
the cannibalism quest that I need to decide
I don't want to get into it, but then I'll have an unfinished quest.

Stage On

Okay, so is the Civil War thing not actually a part of the main quest at all? It seems to get as much promotion in the advertising as the main quest itself, which I understand is mainly about the Dragons. Do you have to pick a side in order to finish the main quest?

Nah you can do the main quest with out picking a side. In fact doing the main quest before doing the civil war is more interesting since
you have to hold a peace conference to get the two sides to agree to a temporary truce so that you can deal with the dragons. That won't happen if you've already ended the war

GhaleonEB

I'm sort of stuck with
the cannibalism quest that I need to decide
I don't want to get into it, but then I'll have an unfinished quest.

There's an alternate ending to the quest. Instead of killing and eating the guy you've lured there, you can kill the cannibals. That will clear it.

TTG

There's an alternate ending to the quest. Instead of killing and eating the guy you've lured there, you can kill the cannibals. That will clear it.

That's true, but there's something else to keep in mind. To get the Oblivion Walker achievement, you need 15 of the 16 items given upon completion of these quests. The only reason there's room for 1 "error" is because of a quest where you can acquire 2 items, even though it's presented as an either/or. Some of these quests have alternate endings, but if you want a shot at the achievement, you should pick the right ending, the one where you get the item.

The item in this case isn't all that great(
some enchanted ring if I remember correctly, gives you an extra boost when eating human meat or something
), but a lot of times they are. So, I would recommend trying both paths in most cases, who cares about a few innocent NPC's?

Jeff Chen

Banned
That's true, but there's something else to keep in mind. To get the Oblivion Walker achievement, you need 15 of the 16 items given upon completion of these quests. The only reason there's room for 1 "error" is because of a quest where you can acquire 2 items, even though it's presented as an either/or. Some of these quests have alternate endings, but if you want a shot at the achievement, you should pick the right ending, the one where you get the item.

The item in this case isn't all that great(
some enchanted ring if I remember correctly, gives you an extra boost when eating human meat or something
), but a lot of times they are. So, I would recommend trying both paths in most cases, who cares about a few innocent NPC's?

I realized that I busted this quest as well as another one, making it impossible to get the trphoy. What did I do? I loaded a save from about 20 days ago and finished all daedric quests from scratch. Took me a whole day and it was totally not cool playing as a low level char again (except that the quests were still fun).

Haven't played in a while. Wanted to ask if there's a way yet to turn off the very very annoying light 'fading'. When you look up into the sky it blinds you before your 'eyes' get used to it. If you suddenly enter a dark area it takes like a second for it to go from dark to lighter. This effect annoys the hell out of me and I want to turn it off, but don't know how to.

Btw, would you guys recommend doing the Main quest first before diving into the guild quests, due to guild armor scaling with your level?

Haven't played in a while. Wanted to ask if there's a way yet to turn off the very very annoying light 'fading'. When you look up into the sky it blinds you before your 'eyes' get used to it. If you suddenly enter a dark area it takes like a second for it to go from dark to lighter. This effect annoys the hell out of me and I want to turn it off, but don't know how to.

Btw, would you guys recommend doing the Main quest first before diving into the guild quests, due to guild armor scaling with your level?

I think only the Thieves Guild armor and rewards scale, the rest of the quest rewards don't.

Top Bottom