• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Here's some shots I made... Crappy camera quality, but eh.

So, playing as Rolf a couple of weeks ago, I came across this strange shadow shape near Winter Hold... There was nothing visible casting it, but I suspect it may have been a rolling stone.

qQbP6l.jpg

And this is the strange horse I ran across a couple of days ago.

68Brkl.jpg

Wulf's looking pretty badass right about now.

hL4bil.jpg

Meh... I accidentally killed my horse not too long ago. Was in an epic fight with two dragons while also keeping a mammoth and giant at bay (kept having to charm them) - my horse was running around willy-nilly and got clipped by one of my arrows; the arrow was poisoned so it must of done well over 100 damage. I don't know how much health he had but he just dropped dead with that one.

Hadn't bought a new one yet. Really wish you could attack from horseback, talk, and otherwise interact with objects if you could reach them. Even if you were given a penalty to attacking from horseback - I'd be fine with it.

I basically ended up using my horse as a fast travel-enabler. I figured, why take a carriage if I have my own horse? So now, whenever Wulf needs to travel somewhere and his horse is nearby, he can use that to fast travel instead of paying for a carriage.

Otherwise, I usually travel on foot.

Meh... I accidentally killed my horse not too long ago. Was in an epic fight with two dragons while also keeping a mammoth and giant at bay (kept having to charm them) - my horse was running around willy-nilly and got clipped by one of my arrows; the arrow was poisoned so it must of done well over 100 damage. I don't know how much health he had but he just dropped dead with that one.

Hadn't bought a new one yet. Really wish you could attack from horseback, talk, and otherwise interact with objects if you could reach them. Even if you were given a penalty to attacking from horseback - I'd be fine with it.

Dave Long

Banned
Haha I'm in the same boat.. and from what I've been hearing, I really have no desire to
As someone who had a horse in the 360 version and am now playing the game on PC, I will not be buying a horse this time. It's nice for a town to town ride, but it just gets in the way when you run into wolves and whatnot during the trip.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I usually find a horse to steal near a bandits hide out (like the one on the back side of Whiterun). You can use it to go in one direct when you need, and then find the horse back in the same spot later.

I've actually had my bought horse disappear when I go looting in a dungeon, only to have it reappear days later back at the stables I bought it from.

GhaleonEB

I usually find a horse to steal near a bandits hide out (like the one on the back side of Whiterun). You can use it to go in one direct when you need, and then find the horse back in the same spot later.

I've actually had my bought horse disappear when I go looting in a dungeon, only to have it reappear days later back at the stables I bought it from.

In my daughter's game, her horse went missing for a while, so she stole one. When she went to hop back on it, it was just labled, "Horse", with no tag that it was stolen. Now every horse in the game is like that, including the one she bought. It's like they are neither hers, nor belonging to others. So she just hops on whatever horse is handy at the moment, without penalty.

I'm jealous.

In my daughter's game, her horse went missing for a while, so she stole one. When she went to hop back on it, it was just labled, "Horse", with no tag that it was stolen. Now every horse in the game is like that, including the one she bought. It's like they are neither hers, nor belonging to others. So she just hops on whatever horse is handy at the moment, without penalty.

I'm jealous.

In Soviet Skyrim, horse steals you.

Fantastic, previously while exploring i ran across the moss mother cavern quest. I missed the fact i had to heal valdr before going into the cavern and upon exiting valdr is dead and the quest is stuck in my journal under miscellaneous.

:/ stupid quests.

elektrixx

Banned
I'm finding this game impossible to play. I just got the shout that lets you dash and now I'm up a mountain stuck with an unbeatable dragon.

There were two trolls I had to deal with before. I got past the first one because I accidently shot a guard and paid a fine to get out of there and the other troll up a mountain by standing on a rock where it couldn't get me.

Why is this game impossible?

GhaleonEB

A few thoughts.

I cleared the Abandoned Prison tonight, which was quite enjoyable. One of the great pleasures of this game is finding all these little stories scattered throughout the world.

I found two more treasure maps; I still have no idea what locations any of them are showing. Is each a unique one or do they all form one big map?

Met Paarthurnax tonight.
I had predicted who he was from some of the lore in the game, and was delighted to be correct. I also enjoyed our prolonged conversation; it wasn't rushed. I do wish I had better dialog options at times - I wished to be reverent, not flippant.

The very top of the Throat of the World was worth reaching. Dat ore. Dat view! Dat...notched pickaxe?

It seems Blackreach is in my near future, I'm guessing. I'll advance the College quest line a notch, try to find one more Dragon Priest, then dive in.

I'm enjoying the main quest a great deal. Nice twists and turns, healthy, interesting developments, layered characters. Good stuff.

cdyhybrid

Started on my Master-difficulty character today. Using magic and bound swords until I can get smithing up high enough to craft really good weapons. Destruction takes forever to level. I'm trying to get it high enough to let me get Impact, since it would greatly increase my survivability, but it's soooooooooo slooooooooow. Sneaking and using Frenzy to clear out packs of mobs is very fun.

wilflare

anyone else on Dual Wielding?

Left-hand: Dagger
Right-hand: Sword

any recommendations on Perks?
the one-handed skill tree seems rather pointless.

Morokh

if you intend to take smithing, you definitely can save the points and avoid 1 hand.
Otherwise I would advise you to take at least all that http://skyrimcalculator.com/#52494 with 3 points in your weapon of choice.

You can still go without all these and without smithing, but it'll be a little harder that's all.

ShinNL

This is mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZn7g84H2E

Dagger/Sword and all perks discussed. One-handed skill tree boosts everything, it's the one-handed enchantments that don't work on the dagger (without enchantments, the damage difference between the dagger and sword is like 5%).

@Morokh: why would you want to avoid 1-hand? It has the dual wielding perk which speeds up every attack as long as you wear 2 weapons.

Found and destroyed another Dragon Priest last night. Where once they had me running in fear, I can now take them down fairly easily. They can still dish out a lot of damage, and I have to be careful, but when I play it smart, they're not too rough at all anymore.

I think I now own five of the masks. Each is great it in its own way. I need to find a great way to display them all. :)

With the main quest done, I've freed myself up to do a lot of other things. Right now I'm exploring, but there are still several major quest lines to finish. Love this game so much.

Found and destroyed another Dragon Priest last night. Where once they had me running in fear, I can now take them down fairly easily. They can still dish out a lot of damage, and I have to be careful, but when I play it smart, they're not too rough at all anymore.

I think I now own five of the masks. Each is great it in its own way. I need to find a great way to display them all. :)

With the main quest done, I've freed myself up to do a lot of other things. Right now I'm exploring, but there are still several major quest lines to finish. Love this game so much.

Might wanna pay Labyrinthian a visit.

GhaleonEB

Might wanna pay Labyrinthian a visit.

I'm going to elaborate on this, because the entire reason I created my current character was to gather the Dragon Priest masks; this particular find is probably my favorite under-the-radar detail in the game.

Jedi:
In the exterior of the Labyrinthian ruins, right in the center, look for a half-dome structure. Look under it.

I'm up to 2/8 on the masks. I think I know where my next is, which I'll snag tonight.

Andrew.

Banned
[Jedi:
In the exterior of the Labyrinthian ruins, right in the center, look for a half-dome structure. Look under it.

I'm up to 2/8 on the masks. I think I know where my next is, which I'll snag tonight.

-please let me know if/when you find the others...sounds like an awesome lil collection quest

can someone tell me what i should be doing with
pelagius's hip bone(pelvis)
?????????????

You got it from a certain madman wandering the streets of Solitude. Go to the Blue Palace, tell some people you need to get into Pelagius' wing of the castle.

And I had 7/8 dragon priest masks with my first character, but since I refuse to do the College of Winterhold questline with that character I never got that eighth (and ninth) one.

And aconn, a little tip, you can edit your posts if you want to ask additional questions but you forgot. You don't need to make an extra post.

I cleared the Abandoned Prison tonight, which was quite enjoyable. One of the great pleasures of this game is finding all these little stories scattered throughout the world.
I liked that one too, and the way that the exterior really reflected that it had been abandoned for a while due to the river, and the little shack built across from it.

I found two more treasure maps; I still have no idea what locations any of them are showing. Is each a unique one or do they all form one big map?
I haven't attempted to hunt these down (and probably won't without using gamefaqs to some extent because I no longer remember where I found some of them) but I'm pretty sure they are all individual. One of the maps is an overhead shot pointing near a crossroads (I think near... Windhelm?) and another is a side view of a fort or something next to a river. I think I found one in the abandoned prison and going by the numbers there are at least 9 of the things.

Unless I'm missing something I would have liked a bit more detail on them, or some way to activate them as quests to get a generic marker (not specifically where the chest is but the nearby region), because unlike the last game I played with treasure maps (Red Dead Redemption), the landscape is far more varied but lacking the ability to get a close zoom on the map.

[Jedi:

-please let me know if/when you find the others...sounds like an awesome lil collection quest

I snagged the one in the labyrinthian first having no idea what they where, then i picked up thr krosis mask and decided to have a quick google. Seems like an awesome quest line.

Krosis mask is great for any stealth based character or even those using anything skill set.

Lockpicking, Archery and Alchemy are 20% better.

Andrew.

Banned
I snagged the one in the labyrinthian first having no idea what they where, then i picked up thr krosis mask and decided to have a quick google. Seems like an awesome quest line.

Krosis mask is great for any stealth based character or even those using anything skill set.

Lockpicking, Archery and Alchemy are 20% better.

where did you find the krosis one? thats the kinda character i have....so it would be a perfect addition to my arsenal.

-Thanks Blue...this is def better. Umm i did that lil side thing...and got that other thing from it....now can i just sell the bone or should i hang onto it for some other reason.

where did you find the krosis one? thats the kinda character i have....so it would be a perfect addition to my arsenal.

-Thanks Blue...this is def better. Umm i did that lil side thing...and got that other thing from it....now can i just sell the bone or should i hang onto it for some other reason.

Go ahead and sell it or store it, you don't need it anymore.

Here is the location of the mask on the map
Mask location looks like this.
Location Image

Info about the mask below
You kill the dragon and then that casket opens and out jumps krosis, fairly strong but i got him stuck on some terrain and just kept hitting his head with my bow.

GhaleonEB

On the subject of the masks.....please don't spoil locations or outcomes. I'm enjoying hunting them down blind, and don't want to use a guide/tips. I hadn't found the one posted above in any of my characters. :(

Could you please linkify'em instead?

Aconn, no headshots do not do damage; there's no locational damage in Skyrim. Which is too bad, I'd have loved to land headshots with arrows for bonus damage.

Of All Trades, agree on the treasure maps. Great idea, poor execution. I find few things more enjoyable than opening a book and having it lead to a quest, or finding some spare scrap of paper with notes leading to treasure. So it's a bummer that those are dead ends for me, I have no idea where any of them might be (of the four I've found so far).

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
I started playing this game yesterday. It is definitely living up to the hype. I just have a question. So I fast traveled to Riverwood this morning to sell things, and
a dragon came in and killed everyone in town, well everyone outside (except the kids. They seem to be invulnerable)
...Is that normal?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I started playing this game yesterday. It is definitely living up to the hype. I just have a question. So I fast traveled to Riverwood this morning to sell things, and a dragon came in and killed everyone in town, well everyone outside (except the kids. They seem to be invulnerable)....Is that normal?

Yeah (almost) anyone can die from random dragons appearing in a city, even a blacksmith or guy who might have a quest for you.

On the subject of the masks.....please don't spoil locations or outcomes. I'm enjoying hunting them down blind, and don't want to use a guide/tips. I hadn't found the one posted above in any of my characters. :(

Could you please linkify'em instead?

Aconn, no headshots do not do damage; there's no locational damage in Skyrim. Which is too bad, I'd have loved to land headshots with arrows for bonus damage.

Of All Trades, agree on the treasure maps. Great idea, poor execution. I find few things more enjoyable than opening a book and having it lead to a quest, or finding some spare scrap of paper with notes leading to treasure. So it's a bummer that those are dead ends for me, I have no idea where any of them might be (of the four I've found so far).

Sorry about that Ghal, Ill make sure to remember in future

GhaleonEB

Sorry about that Ghal, Ill make sure to remember in future

No worries. :)

Edit:

I still remember my shock at learning dragons can attack inside the walled off cities. It was Windhelm or Riften, at night. I was walking around, look up, and there's a dragon perched on a roof, about to toast the nearby guards. The feeling of being totally safe in town evaporated in a second, and I'm always on edge a bit now unless I'm indoors. So unexpected and great.

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah (almost) anyone can die from random dragons appearing in a city, even a blacksmith or guy who might have a quest for you.
...and at early levels, it's hard NOT to try to kite the dragon to town for the help. That's a nice bit of unintended game design there. Do you risk blowing up quests or a lucrative shop because you need help with a dragon? Good stuff.

No worries. :)

Edit:

I still remember my shock at learning dragons can attack inside the walled off cities. It was Windhelm or Riften, at night. I was walking around, look up, and there's a dragon perched on a roof, about to toast the nearby guards. The feeling of being totally safe in town evaporated in a second, and I'm always on edge a bit now unless I'm indoors. So unexpected and great.

Your gunna cry when you find one sat in riften tavern

I started playing this game yesterday. It is definitely living up to the hype. I just have a question. So I fast traveled to Riverwood this morning to sell things, and
a dragon came in and killed everyone in town, well everyone outside (except the kids. They seem to be invulnerable)
...Is that normal?
Time to reload! You want to try to avoid townfolk dying since could bork quests and stop you from ever even getting them.

Goddamn, I'm still running into new things on my fourth character. I recently completed Sheogorath's quest, and while I was on my way back to Solitude from another quest I was approached by a Madwoman. She danced around me, yelling "Wabbajackwabbajackwabbajackwabbajack!" I talked to her, and she told me "I would be honored to be Wabbajacked by you, your grace".

Sadly, I'd already stored the Wabbajack away in my house. :'(

Dwayne

Well I finished the Azura's Shrine quest and what a disappointment.
My soul is transferred into Azura's Star and immediately I'm confronted by the evil mage soul, who I kill easily, and boom, it's over.
. Such an anticlimactic ending. Oh well, at least I got a nice artifact out of it.

I found him really hard, so hard infact it took several attempts to kill him and I would still get killed straight after by his minions.
Probably doesn't help i'm a level 40 magic only user with 100 health :D

GhaleonEB

Goddamn, I'm still running into new things on my fourth character. I recently completed Sheogorath's quest, and while I was on my way back to Solitude from another quest I was approached by a Madwoman. She danced around me, yelling "Wabbajackwabbajackwabbajackwabbajack!" I talked to her, and she told me "I would be honored to be Wabbajacked by you, your grace".

My daughter ran into her.
She turned the lady into a bunny, and she hopped away into the woods.
[ Probably different outcomes depending on chance.

I'm still seeing new stuff. Last night I was exploring the northern coasline, far to the east (looking for Dragon Priests), and I ran into a pack of bandits. Not far away was a pack of wolves. As I watched, two ice wraiths snaked in between them all. I sat up on a high rock and used Frenzy to make them all go apeshit, then used a couple arrows for clean up. Turns out the wolves were pit wolves, and on one of the bandits is a note from the chief sending out the scouting party to retrieve them; they were used in a betting ring, and the note leads back to a fighting ring cave/fort I found on my first character. Pretty cool.

Also ran into some crazed dude, and after I killed him got the prompt to find some other Daedric Prince's cult. I ran into it up there, but didn't investigate since I'm saving the Daedric quests for another (!!!) character.

I'm pretty sure I've only cleared half the dungeons in Skyrim. Goddamn.

Andrew.

Banned

thats the one weapon i will always carry....hav eyou ever used it and ended up screwing yourselfe over from its "effect"?

-Ghal....your post is making me so thrilled that i just started and even though i feel like ive done "A LOT" its not even the tip of the iceberg.

I wish more of the unique weapons were actually unique, instead of just a regular model with a different name. Most of them don't even have unique or useful enchantments. It's especially annoying with weapons like the Red Eagle swords that have quests and everything attached to them, when they are just regular ancient Nord swords with enchantments.

Also, why on earth does
Keening
have such a low value? You'd think such an important weapon lore-wise would be worth a bit more.

I was just running around Solitude, thinking "goddamn, this game is so great..."

And then I notice the ground hasn't loaded yet and I fall through.

SKYRIM

wilflare

This is mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZn7g84H2E

Dagger/Sword and all perks discussed. One-handed skill tree boosts everything, it's the one-handed enchantments that don't work on the dagger (without enchantments, the damage difference between the dagger and sword is like 5%).

@Morokh: why would you want to avoid 1-hand? It has the dual wielding perk which speeds up every attack as long as you wear 2 weapons.

thanks, this is similar to what i am intending to do.
not so sure if i want to put any perks into Magicka though.

do you avoid Heavy Armor Perk as well? e.g. Juggernaut.

I thought Paralyzing Strike and Critical Charge seemed rather useless.

was planning to get the final Perk for Sneak as well.. seems pretty badass

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wish more of the unique weapons were actually unique, instead of just a regular model with a different name. Most of them don't even have unique or useful enchantments. It's especially annoying with weapons like the Red Eagle swords that have quests and everything attached to them, when they are just regular ancient Nord swords with enchantments.

Also, why on earth does
Keening
have such a low value? You'd think such an important weapon lore-wise would be worth a bit more.

Yeah, I was expecting that weapon to just get amazing stats after its associated quest.

Top Bottom