• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Yeah Krosis on the mountaintop was one of most memorable battles I've had. He was a really tough challenge for my level. He was able to hover off the mountain and hammer me with his Staff of Fireballs. If I was a melee focused character I don't know how I would have done it. Since I'm a destruction mage I hit him back with two-fisted lightning spells. We went back and forth like that for quite some time. It looked really epic. That was also the fight where my Lydia died.

I nailed him with a lot of flame arrows, and it took a long time. Especially after fighting the dragon first. I kept ducking for cover, popping up, sniping, then hiding again. He was tough at my level as well (Now Dragon Priests fear me!), but it was a very satisfying fight.

It didn't help that I discovered the Wall/Dragon Perch by climbing up the mountain and that I didn't go through the ruins first as was most likely intended. Killed the Dragon and the Priest, then entered the dungeon, which a real challenge as well, but beautiful to explore.

Can I beat the main quest without joining one of the two groups? If so, is it a bad idea not to join?

Yes you can and it doesn't make a difference either way as far as I can tell. I wasn't a part of either group when I beat the main quest, but plan on doing the Civil War quest line soon.

Welp, looks like I'm never gonna 1k this game. Stupid Daedric artifacts. I got them all except for the stupid Skull one near Dawnstar. I figured there would be like 20 artifacts total but nope. If any of you are trying to get the Oblivion Walker achievement/trophy, make sure you follow a guide so you dont fuck it up.

GhaleonEB

So....

We all know this is a huge game, and everyone has a different experience. We’ll continue to do everything we can to make the game better and better for as many people as possible every day. We’ve also realized that with the millions upon millions of people playing Skyrim, we need to treat our updates with greater care. If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this. To be safe, we are prioritizing code side fixes right now over data fixes. Quest and balance issues are usually data, and those will start rolling in a large way with the January updates.

Have we heard anything about the January updates? I can't find any news. We're about halfway through.

I nailed him with a lot of flame arrows, and it took a long time. Especially after fighting the dragon first. I kept ducking for cover, popping up, sniping, then hiding again. He was tough at my level as well (Now Dragon Priests fear me!), but it was a very satisfying fight.

It didn't help that I discovered the Wall/Dragon Perch by climbing up the mountain and that I didn't go through the ruins first as was most likely intended. Killed the Dragon and the Priest, then entered the dungeon, which a real challenge as well, but beautiful to explore.

Volsung was my first. I had Lydia and
Barbus
with me, and he still kicked the crap out of us a dozen times before we took him down. One round, he knocked
Barbus
off the mountain and killed Lydia and me less than 15 seconds after rising from his coffin. Total curbstomp. I finally killed him by pulling out my bow and pelting him with like 40 Elven arrows while running away like a little bitch, chugging Health potions the entire time.

2AdEPT

I'm finding this game impossible to play. I just got the shout that lets you dash and now I'm up a mountain stuck with an unbeatable dragon.

There were two trolls I had to deal with before. I got past the first one because I accidently shot a guard and paid a fine to get out of there and the other troll up a mountain by standing on a rock where it couldn't get me.

Why is this game impossible?

YOu know you have the option to take followers with you right?

It may depend on a lot of things, but as a previous Oblivion player I knew exactly how to make my life easy right from the start by selecting a character that would be good at bows and conjuration magic. Being able to deal damage from a distance, using the sneak bonuses AND having a third co. member in addiition to your follower makes you OP IMO.

I will admit this game appeared a little tougher than Oblivion, but it could also be that you are stumbling across enemies that are menat for later times in the game. If you are not following quest lines there is always a chance you will encounter enemies that will clearly overpower you and you will have to try them later. If you go down teh main quesitonline at least for a littel while you will get followers and things will be much easier.

hint for noobs: no matter what your level or player type, if you are feeling under powered
enter a drinking competition with a mage-looking dude in the Riften drink hole......
a stressful (but easy) quest will ensue and the gift at the end has made me OP and still going strong at level 25. It has no requirements to use except for recharge and I have had to stop using it as I know its something that should really have been left for later in the game. I totally stumbled onthis quest by accident...not sure how often the trigger occurs, but it was by far the most lucrative reward for any quest I have done yet and at level 25 I have done a good shake at the main , completed mages, started companions, and done a whack of side quests through stumbling like this one. It looks like an innocuous flower but don't let its pacifying looks fool you!

have others done this quest? I have not seen it spoken of on this thread (although just started reading lately) I doubt it is a glitch, but could easily IMO.

edit: must be level 14 to do quest...not a bug and if done later than level 14 there is a greater and greater chance of higher and even more OP!!!!

Volimar

YOu know you have the option to take followers with you right?

It may depend on a lot of things, but as a previous Oblivion player I knew exactly how to make my life easy right from the start by selecting a character that would be good at bows and conjuration magic. Being able to deal damage from a distance, using the sneak bonuses AND having a third co. member in addiition to your follower makes you OP IMO.

I will admit this game appeared a little tougher than Oblivion, but it could also be that you are stumbling across enemies that are menat for later times in the game. If you are not following quest lines there is always a chance you will encounter enemies that will clearly overpower you and you will have to try them later. If you go down teh main quesitonline at least for a littel while you will get followers and things will be much easier.

hint for noobs: no matter what your level or player type, if you are feeling under powered
enter a drinking competition with a mage-looking dude in the Riften drink hole......
a stressful (but easy) quest will ensue and the gift at the end has made me OP and still going strong at level 25. It has no requirements to use except for recharge and I have had to stop using it as I know its something that should really have been left for later in the game. I totally stumbled onthis quest by accident...not sure how often the trigger occurs, but it was by far the most lucrative reward for any quest I have done yet and at level 25 I have done a good shake at the main , completed mages, started companions, and done a whack of side quests through stumbling like this one. It looks like an innocuous flower but don't let its pacifying looks fool you!

have others done this quest? I have not seen it spoken of on this thread (although just started reading lately) I doubt it is a glitch, but could easily IMO.

edit: must be level 14 to do quest

The NPC wanders a bit.

Wiggum2007

After many many reloads I have finally defeated Krosis. I felt kinda bad, he didn't try to attack me this time, the whole fight just kinda like slowly drifted away from me slowly and moaned a lot. Seemed like he was just minding his own business. I feel like a dick now.

Grinchy

Banned
My character's a destruction mage, and I'm looking for a follower that won't die/get in the way when I use my fireball spell. Lydia died pretty quickly after I bought the spell. Should I get an archer or conjurer to help?

After 90 hours of playing a mage, I think conjuration is the way to go. Companions are pretty iffy IMO. Conjured things are easier to deal with.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Glitch help:
I'm at Kodlak's funeral and no one is talking or doing anything for the funeral. It says all of the NPCs are busy so I don't know how to proceed.

Help would be appreciated.

GhaleonEB

4/8 Dragon Priests down. I know one more is part of the College quest line, so 3 more out there to go.

If I've just visited a certain frosty place and have two certain things from the fellow there to enter Blackreach, how far along in the main quest am I?

Edit: Thanks TTG.

TTG

4/8 Dragon Priests down. I know one more is part of the College quest line, so 3 more out there to go.

If I've just visited a certain frosty place and have two certain things from the fellow there to enter Blackreach, how far along in the main quest am I?

Hard to say because I've had that quest and another one after that not apply, but I would say that once you bring the
Elder Scroll
back, you're like 2/3rds of the way there.

Xamdou

So what exactly is the main quest? The stormcloak vs imperials war? There are so many quest to do I am not even sure which are side-quest and which are part of the main quest.

Anteater

So what exactly is the main quest? The stormcloak vs imperials war? There are so many quest to do I am not even sure which are side-quest and which are part of the main quest.

Main quest is the one you get at whiterun with the Jarl, and it'll point you to the dragon related stuff

The 'truce' option doesn't end the war it's only temporary, you can still do the war quests after ;)

Yeah, but I suppose if you don't want to, you can use it as a "feel good" option.

I retook Markarth from those Stormcloaks the moment I got the chance, though. :lol

cdyhybrid

Just finished the College of Winterhold questline. Replaced the
Archmage's Robes texture
with a white
Psijic Robe (because the default Archmage's Robes are ugly as hell)
and now I'm wearing that with
Morokei's mask
. I need to find a mod that makes the two match, however. Bound Mystic Swords are still more powerful than anything I've come across. I think I'll have to craft Daedric/Dragonbone (with a mod) weapons to find a permanent replacement for them.

Now to finish up the Companions, since I've become much more powerful since I started the College quests, then I'll move on the DB and Thieves' Guild.

Also, I've finally gotten to the point where Masters isn't hard anymore. The only things that really hurt me badly are dragon breath attacks. I don't really get hit in melee, though, so I'm sure a dragon bite or a boss-type creature with a big two-hand weapon could still wreck my face. Impact is imba.

CassSept

Haha. I was returning from one of the first Companions quests (the one with Skjor). I've decided that I will kill this preacher guy in front of Dragonsreach because he is annoying me and test my Speech skill. I do so and easily get away. But! As the guard came at me with a sword, Skjor continued to attack them. And as I was near Jorrvaskr, other Companions joined him. So effectively I was running around Whiterun with around 5 NPCs slaughtering all of the city's guards.

Whoa.

So I was doing the quest you find in the abandoned house in Markarth...
and I ended up having to bash that priest to death. Wtf? I was hoping there'd be an option to let him go and tell the Daedra to go fuck himself. Did I somehow miss that option?

GhaleonEB

So I was doing the quest you find in the abandoned house in Markarth...
and I ended up having to bash that priest to death. Wtf? I was hoping there'd be an option to let him go and tell the Daedra to go fuck himself. Did I somehow miss that option?
Not sure about that specific quest, but most of the Daedric ones are pretty evil. A few give you an out at the end, but not all.

CassSept

Gosh darn it. I hate having quests hanging around in my quest list and was used to most quests having an option to come good at the end. Boo!

Huh, of all the Daedric quests I've done so far only one lacked any evil objective (Sanguine). Still, they are some of the best quests in Skyrim so trading some of the NPCs for that isn't so bad, is it?

Well, most of the Daedric Princes are what you can consider evil... Only Sheogorath, Sanguine, Azura and Meridia are pretty 'good' or at the very least 'neutral'. Princes like Mehrunes Razor, Molag Bal and Namira are, well, pretty fucked up. Their quests were (usually) pretty tame in Oblivion, but they really took 'em to another level here. I like it.

There's a few Daedric quests that don't require any acts of 'evil', though. In addition to the ones mentioned above, Peryite's, Malacath's, Hircine's and Clavicus Vile's all don't require you to start murdering innocent people. Hermaeus Mora's can also be completed without slaughtering any innocents, though that makes it a lot harder. Mehrunes Dagon's and Vaermina's have 'good' endings, but those won't net you a real reward. The rest are pretty much 'evil', I think.

clashfan

I just had a experienced that convinced me that Skyrim is my favorite game of the year.
As I was doing the Battle for Windhelm somehow I lost track of Lydia. I was thinking she died somehow. That made me really sad. After killing Ulfric and as General Tullius was giving a speech to a bunch of soldiers, I was feeling depressed that Lydia was dead. Then all of sudden I see Lydia push through a bunch of soldiers to stand next to me. I was so happy to see her. It was a magical moment. :)

iNvid02

I just had a experienced that convinced me that Skyrim is my favorite game of the year.
As I was doing the Battle for Windhelm somehow I lost track of Lydia. I was thinking she died somehow. That made me really sad. After killing Ulfric and as General Tullius was giving a speech to a bunch of soldiers, I was feeling depressed that Lydia was dead. Then all of sudden I see Lydia push through a bunch of soldiers to stand next to me. I was so happy to see her. It was a magical moment. :)

clashfan
you are not alone
(Today, 11:37 PM)

lionelhutz

I'm working on the first main quest for the Thieves Guild and im having an issue with one part.
How do I only burn three bee hives? I've tried several different ways and I don't burn enough or more than three catch fire.

GhaleonEB

I'm working on the first main quest for the Thieves Guild and im having an issue with one part.
How do I only burn three bee hives? I've tried several different ways and I don't burn enough or more than three catch fire.

I've had two methods work. The easiest is just to
equip a torch and hold it under the bee hive.

cdyhybrid

What are you using? A torch works pretty well.

GhaleonEB

My daughter's dog got nailed by a giant. It's dead.

It can also be activated, told to wait or come, and its corpse is laying flat on the ground following her around. It is terrifying.

GhaleonEB

Loyalty knows no limits.

My dog tried to take on a dragon....
I wish my horses had that kind of bravery, the big cowards.

The dog also still attacks. Killed a wolf by lurching its dead body at the wolf, killing it. I got a video of it moving around, I'll post it later.

After 83hrs of playing, I've made it to Solitude. Think I've still got a few more cities to discover as well.

You set off with the intention of travelling somewhere, and before you know it a new marker appears on the compass and off you go to discover what new cave/shack/shrine you've stumbled upon.

Tomorrow I'm going to press on with the main quest for a bit, so far all I've done is gone to see the Greybeards.

Top Bottom