• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

hL4bil.jpg

Otherwise, I usually travel on foot.

Oooo. Where do you get that helmet?

Also, Forester, why is your tag telling us that Pierre is a brown fish/a fish with brown hair?

TTG

Also ran into some crazed dude, and after I killed him got the prompt to find some other Daedric Prince's cult. I ran into it up there, but didn't investigate since I'm saving the Daedric quests for another (!!!) character.

I'll be waiting for the post detailing how you made a particular 2 handed blade and a certain staff from nearby Dawnstar viable. It should be an interesting challenge.

I wish more of the unique weapons were actually unique, instead of just a regular model with a different name. Most of them don't even have unique or useful enchantments. It's especially annoying with weapons like the Red Eagle swords that have quests and everything attached to them, when they are just regular ancient Nord swords with enchantments.

Also, why on earth does
Keening
have such a low value? You'd think such an important weapon lore-wise would be worth a bit more.

Go for the deadric quests, they're actually very creative with the enchantments. Sad to say I didn't play around much with the really oddball stuff, but a lot of them I used extensively and I still have like 3 things I use even at level 50. Unique models, enchantments etc.

I havnt looked at enchanting at all, could i disenchant some robes of that give me magicka regenerates 75% faster and enchant that onto daedric armor for instance?

2AdEPT

I have a question about the Drainblood battle axe I found in Labyrinthian. I figure it could easily be the best weapon I have found earlier on in the game for Lydia as I have her two handing with ring and amulet boosts and the 15 health that is supposedly absorbed goes on to her to extend her health before "the kneel" which is better than the flame weapon I had her using before....plus these blue ghostly weapons are only 5 pounds. My Problem is the recharge. I get that I have to take the weapon from her and I finally get the recharge icon to pop up, but no matter what filled gem I use including the black star usually forshadows how much charge it will give but i see nothing....only a sliver at the left side appears to be left. But when i put say a filled petty soul gem in when recharging it appears to use it but does not seem to take more than a sliver at best....unlike other rechargeable items including the smilar sword and bow, you can put more small gems on again and again, but I don't even get eth recharge icon to come up after recharging once. Is this glitched in my game....have others had better success? I really think this is a good weapon if it were really doing some absorbing (even without but so much better obviously.) Do I have to be depleted in health to recharge more? I never see any electric streams animations or sound effects come from this weapon...is this a tell tale sign it is depleted?

2AdEPT

I havnt looked at enchanting at all, could i disenchant some robes of that give me magicka regenerates 75% faster and enchant that onto daedric armor for instance?

it is a possibility, but the game does not allow all weird and wonderful matches and applications...try it out, but be prepared for disappointment. with this particular example I am fairly sure you can not put magic boost stuff on armour and conversely armour boost on clothes.

TTG

it is a possibility, but the game does not allow all weird and wonderful matches and applications...try it out, but be prepared for disappointment.

That sounds fairly ordinary, the only stuff you can't disenchant are unique items, like the dragon priest masks. Just don't expect your own enchantment to be as strong as some of the best items found in the game world, you need to level up enchanting just like anything else for that and an appropriate soul gem. There are also some weird limitations like you can't enchant your boots to give you an archery boost, but those are few and far in between.

Anyway, even if you have no enchanting skill, the fact that you can enchant a lot of shit with the same spell and those effects will stack means you can get a really big boost in any particular area if you want.

2AdEPT

That sounds fairly ordinary, the only stuff you can't disenchant are unique items, like the dragon priest masks. Just don't expect your own enchantment to be as strong as some of the best items found in the game world, you need to level up enchanting just like anything else for that and an appropriate soul gem. There are also some weird limitations like you can't enchant your boots to give you an archery boost, but those are few and far in between.

Anyway, even if you have no enchanting skill, the fact that you can enchant a lot of shit with the same spell and those effects will stack means you can get a really big boost in any particular area if you want.

often for me the disenchanted item was allowed, but the list of available things to apply that type too is never a comprehensive list....perhaps a third of all items....i realize damage spells don't go on armour and health regen does not go on weapons, but even after the obvious, I thought there were lots of omissions that were chincy and counter intuitive as well....maybe I just a had too small a list of stuff....only level 25.

I found this game, so far, more restrictive than oblivion....for example I could max out a full armour set with sneak or even chameleon, which I admit was too OP, and the greaves helmet etc etc could all contribute....now there are rules like helmets can not sneak, i was only able to put sneak on boots so far in addition to the flexible amulets and rings...this is ok but it is not intuitive why they chose what they chose and the worst is that at least once I swear I killed something only to find I could not even make the same piece of clothes it was originally found on! Great, have unique items, but don't make people burn them under the guise of being able to recreate them!

notwithstanding that enchanting, smithing, and alchemy can take up huge amounts of time, much of it needless waste (is there STILL no easy way to take out and put back ingredients?????!?!?!?!?!?!?) each are definitely worth it for the right situations.

Zeppelin

Just started playing this game a couple of days ago. I just noticed that there are ants walking on some of the tree stumps. Ants. On the tree stumps. The amount of stuff Bethesda has made and put into this game blows my mind. In terms of assets, this game is madness.

ShinNL

thanks, this is similar to what i am intending to do.
not so sure if i want to put any perks into Magicka though.

do you avoid Heavy Armor Perk as well? e.g. Juggernaut.

I thought Paralyzing Strike and Critical Charge seemed rather useless.

was planning to get the final Perk for Sneak as well.. seems pretty badass
Yeah, I don't need armor perks that boost the armor rating, you easily hit the cap with good smithing.

The best one handed perks for dual wielding are at the base, not near the top. Those are indeed pretty useless.

GhaleonEB

So. What started out tonight as a search for a Dragon Priest on the way back from Septimus's outpost ended up at Frostflow Lighthouse. What a wonderfully detailed, sad and even touching tale.

The Falmer war axe and the telltale charus clicking told the tale of their fate as soon as I walked in. The details are what really made the place; the journals telling everyone's perspective; the key in the mother's favorite antique urn; the way the Falmer used all the stuff they'd stolen down below. The brooms as totems was an especially nice touch. I was saddened by the discovery of the bloody note; what a horrible, wonderful detail.

I had gone up to the lighthouse before finding all the journals, so I knew you could climb the ladder for the fire itself, but not why. The moment I found Habd's remains I understood.

I put his remains in the lighthouse fire, so he could forever watch the glaciers drift by, as he had once asked his slain wife to do. Enjoy the view, buddy.

I was genuinely moved by that detail, more so than any I came across in Oblivion and all of Skyrim so far. Wonderful story telling, Bethesda.

Arjen

So. What started out tonight as a search for a Dragon Priest on the way back from Septimus's outpost ended up at Frostflow Lighthouse. What a wonderfully detailed, sad and even touching tale.

The Falmer war axe and the telltale charus clicking told the tale of their fate as soon as I walked in. The details are what really made the place; the journals telling everyone's perspective; the key in the mother's favorite antique urn; the way the Falmer used all the stuff they'd stolen down below. The brooms as totems was an especially nice touch. I was saddened by the discovery of the bloody note; what a horrible, wonderful detail.

I had gone up to the lighthouse before finding all the journals, so I knew you could climb the ladder for the fire itself, but not why. The moment I found Habd's remains I understood.

I put his remains in the lighthouse fire, so he could forever watch the glaciers drift by, as he had once asked his slain wife to do. Enjoy the view, buddy.

I was genuinely moved by that detail, more so than any I came across in Oblivion and all of Skyrim so far. Wonderful story telling, Bethesda.

I talked about that quest in this thread before, so well done, one of my favorite small quests i did in Skyrim.

Morokh

@Morokh: why would you want to avoid 1-hand? It has the dual wielding perk which speeds up every attack as long as you wear 2 weapons.

I was just giving him some options. (and one of them was about taking some 1hand perks :p)

If you take smithing and upgrade the shit out your weapons with + smithing gear you get a really good damage output as it is and since he was going left dagger right blade he already had the fastest weapon combo without perks possible.

I'm currently playing a character that has no perk points spend in an offensive tree, except Sneak if that counts and some late game Conjuration for dragon fights (doesn't use a bow either), and when things get heated I play this exact same dagger/sword combo enhanced with smithing and poisons, and now that I have Smithing and Alchemy maxed I can just take anything.

will have to do some RP posts like Blue Ninja about my two latest characters once I get some nice screenshots :p

GhaleonEB

I talked about that quest in this thread before, so well done, one of my favorite small quests i did in Skyrim.

Indeed, with GAFs search ability back (which I keep forgetting about) I can find posts on topics like that. I remember it being mentioned but I'd avoided the spoilers on it, thanks for the reminder. The detail with his remains at the end really was a great touch, and brought closure to the story in a poignant way.

More and more, it's these smaller stories that are really making Skyrim special for me. Last night it was the Abandoned Prison, tonight the lighthouse. I find the small story details and the way the locations are crafted around them really enjoyable to stumble across and get sucked into.

Even little implied stories, such as the two alchemists' skeletons not far from Winterhold, add a great deal to Skyrim. One of them had their leg trapped in a bear trap, and the other is frozen in a pose of resigned grief beside them; their satchel still had ingredients they had been out collecting when tragedy struck. It was just two skeletons and a bear trap arranged, but it worked. All those details add up to much more than the sum of their parts.

Oooo. Where do you get that helmet?

Easiest place is Meridia's quest near Solitude. When you enter the cave near her shrine (which only opens up during her quest), it can be found on an Imperial corpse right at the entrance.

And I always loved the destroyed carriage near Falkreath. It's just a carriage, a dead horse, a few burnt corpses, and a few patches of burning ground, with - as far as I can tell - no real explanation as to what happened.

I agree with you guys. The Frostflow Lighthouse quest was a great, especially for a minor side story. I came across the lighthouse randomly and wandered inside, only to end up spending a couple of hours working my way through it. So well done, and the story is touching. All the more so through the use of letters and journals.

wilflare

Yeah, I don't need armor perks that boost the armor rating, you easily hit the cap with good smithing.

The best one handed perks for dual wielding are at the base, not near the top. Those are indeed pretty useless.

hmm so I should avoid putting any points in Juggernaut right?
dang.. think i wasted some :/

So I went and purchased a dog at the Markarth stables. Figured it'd be a nice companion to tag along with me while I do miscellaneous quests here and there that dont require stealth since little bastard barks all of the time. I trek back to Winterhold and drop him off at house. Less than a half hour later Im pillaging a fort when I recieve the message: "Your dog is heading back to his home." The mutt headed right back to the Markarth stables to its original owner. I head right back over there thinking Ill be able to have the dog follow me back to Breezehome. Nope, instead I get the offer to rebuy him for another 500 gold.

Also, thanks to the Steward of Windhelm who sold me a house with blood all over the basement floor. I had to solve a murder case before I could tell the wife and move all of my shit in.

SKYRIM.

Marco1

Someone offered me a PS3 with 5 games for my xbox360 and as much as I would like to exchange so that I may play the exclusives, the shitty PS3 version of this is the only thing stopping me.
Damn you Bethesda for fucking it up.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
So I went and purchased a dog at the Markarth stables. Figured it'd be a nice companion to tag along with me while I do miscellaneous quests here and there that dont require stealth since little bastard barks all of the time. I trek back to Winterhold and drop him off at house. Less than a half hour later Im pillaging a fort when I recieve the message: "Your dog is heading back to his home." The mutt headed right back to the Markarth stables to its original owner. I head right back over there thinking Ill be able to have the dog follow me back to Breezehome. Nope, instead I get the offer to rebuy him for another 500 gold.

SKYRIM.

The same thing happened to me, when I try to buy him again it won't let me because I already have an animal with me, even though I don't. It doesn't affect getting other companions though.

Dyno

Oh god I can't stop smithing and enchanting! I've been sucked into it for the past three times I've played the game. Once all the good ingots have been depleted in various towns I forced myself to get out and adventure only to find a mine! Oh gods the mines! I came out of that mine loaded down with gold ore and they were even kind enough to put a smelter right besides the entrance. I made 24 gold bars!

Now I'm off to another unexplored mine symbol on my map. To hell with Nords, Imperials, and Dragons! Tell my children I loved them once.

Can I add additional enhancements to weapons Ive already enhanced? For example, Ive got an ebony bow enhanced with flames, so can I disassemble a weapon with paralysis attributes and add that onto my flame bow? Being paralyzed and on fire wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am 27 hours in, just hit level 15. I am just now really hitting my groove with the game. I am totally comfortable with the interface and the rhythm of the game. I am really loving it now. I only wish I had more time to sit and play. Walking around the world and finding new locations or quests is the best.

I have Lydia as my companion ATM. I know some people don't like having companions at all, but I don't mind it. I gave her some good gear so she is an asset in battle. Either as a disctraction or help.

winnarps

Finished the main quest last night.

Was wondering about something though -
during the truce quest leading up to capturing a dragon in Dragonsreach (ignored the civil war quests) or maybe shortly after it, The Blades asked me to kill Paarthurnax? But I ignored this and killed out Alduin. Now when I look in my log, the quest to kill Paarthurnax seems to have disappeared. Is this intentional?

Bread

Banned
My character's a destruction mage, and I'm looking for a follower that won't die/get in the way when I use my fireball spell. Lydia died pretty quickly after I bought the spell. Should I get an archer or conjurer to help?

Finished the main quest last night.

Was wondering about something though -
during the truce quest leading up to capturing a dragon in Dragonsreach (ignored the civil war quests) or maybe shortly after it, The Blades asked me to kill Paarthurnax? But I ignored this and killed out Alduin. Now when I look in my log, the quest to kill Paarthurnax seems to have disappeared. Is this intentional?

Yes.

Dyno

Can I add additional enhancements to weapons Ive already enhanced? For example, Ive got an ebony bow enhanced with flames, so can I disassemble a weapon with paralysis attributes and add that onto my flame bow? Being paralyzed and on fire wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

To give an item two enchantments (flame and paralysis) you have to take a certain perk (I forget the name.) That perk requires you to have a 100 Enchantment.

bunbun777

Loaded the game up today to finally finish the arduous task of menial thieves' guild quests and assumed the title of master.

But really I just wanted my platinum. Feels bad.

lil smoke

Banned
Starting over from scratch is really the way to go. It's simply more fun to play as a low level character, where your decisions actually mean something. Low encumbrance limit, low gold count, cheap weapons, walking around to find people to sell to because you HAVE to is where it's at. I HAD to walk to solitude, walk around to find a stump to make wood to get my longbow to damage 8 because that one point was something I needed. Now I'm on a small mission to find a steel ingot to bump my axe up. This is real survival here. My last character was walking around with a 3 page list of items and 60K gold, and nothing to drive me to want to do more.

Note to newbies with the Storm Call shout: Dont use it in towns. I just pissed off the citizens of Solitude and earned myself a fine of 5400 gold. Had to lay low for a day or two before I went and paid it off.

NBtoaster

Are the Peerless Archery items random spawns? im looking for one to disenchant.

Random and leveled. You need to wait until level 40 before you have a chance of seeing them.

Also, you would get the same enchantment from an item of minor archery, disenchanting only gets you the type of enchantment, not the magnitude of it.

Random and leveled. You need to wait until level 40 before you have a chance of seeing them.

Also, you would get the same enchantment from an item of minor archery, disenchanting only gets you the type of enchantment, not the magnitude of it.

Ohh so how do you level the enchantment? I have not even touched enchanting yet.

Zeppelin

I have a question about the Thieves Guild quest line:

So, Mercer killed Gallus because he and Karliah figured out that Mercer was stealing from the guild. Karliah goes into hiding. 25 years later the Dragonborn learns this and eventually bring Karliah back to the guild in Riften. There she asks the guild members to open the vault so they will see that Mercer has been stealing from them. The vault is empty. The guild is coloured surprised. Didn't anyone bother to check the vault for 25 years?!

I think I'm bugged in the quest The Cursed Tribe.
I got to the cave before Yarnaz and killed the giant myself so I have now his hammer. However, he's just waiting outside the cave and says, "Let's get this over with," with only the typical dialogue options available. If I fight him (damn he's tough) I get a bounty and I doubt I can finish the quest that way. My journal still says "Meet Yarnaz at the cave" and I want to get rid of that. Is there a code?

So, Mercer killed Gallus because he and Karliah figured out that Mercer was stealing from the guild. Karliah goes into hiding. 25 years later the Dragonborn learns this and eventually bring Karliah back to the guild in Riften. There she asks the guild members to open the vault so they will see that Mercer has been stealing from them. The vault is empty. The guild is coloured surprised. Didn't anyone bother to check the vault for 25 years?!

The actual theft could have been more recent. Also, the Guild was having a really tough time after Gallus was killed. They probably haven't been able to pull off a job in order to actually open it and put something in.

Also, it was supposed to be the most secure lock ever. Why check?

cory021

Neo Member
Note to newbies with the Storm Call shout: Dont use it in towns. I just pissed off the citizens of Solitude and earned myself a fine of 5400 gold. Had to lay low for a day or two before I went and paid it off.
When I first unlocked Stormcall, I went to complete a quest for the Companions to hunt some Giants at one of their camps. I decided to use the shout and it worked well at first. The Giants were taking some damage while I was waiting for them to come to me. After the battle, I noticed my horse had ran off after taking a few hits from one of the Giants. The only problem was that the lighting still continued to attack my horse, and it was a matter of seconds before the lightning had stricken him down.

I'm very careful when using it now.

TTG

The way I understood it is he's been siphoning funds all along, but only cleaned the place out dry right as he was bailing out. He already had the skeleton key and was going for the big heist, plus he knew that Karliah wasn't dead and was going to try to expose him, so he took off with everything the guild had. It's not really explained clearly, I think the main thing they wanted you to follow is that the guild fell on hard times because Mercer stole the skeleton key from the Nightingale temple.

Wiggum2007

Oh my god I ran into my first blood dragon on a mountaintop and burned every damn potion on the thing, finally downed it and as I'm licking my wounds this friggin dragonpriest
Krosis
pops out and starts wailing on me. Apparently too much of a bitch to engage me in a fair fight and hides in his tomb until the dragon softened me up, not cool! Needless to say I did the sensible thing and ran away, currently regrouping in Windhelm then heading back there for payback (or a futile death). Wish me luck!

Oh my god I ran into my first blood dragon on a mountaintop and burned every damn potion on the thing, finally downed it and as I'm licking my wounds this friggin dragonpriest
Krosis
pops out and starts wailing on me. Apparently too much of a bitch to engage me in a fair fight and hides in his tomb until the dragon softened me up, not cool! Needless to say I did the sensible thing and ran away, currently regrouping in Windhelm then heading back there for payback (or a futile death). Wish me luck!

Worth it. Go back and make him pay. Reap the rewards.

Dyno

I got to around skill 80 by a trainer. I would gain a skill level, then pickpocket the money back. I leveled pickpocketing to 100 by doing this. I also did this trick for destruction.

Oh my god that is just awful! Right on dude! Right on!

Question to all: When upgrading weapons and armour is there anything better than Legendary?

Dyno

Agreed! That was an awesome "Oh shit!" moment for me after defeating that dragon as well. One of my first encounters with a Dragon Priest, but oh so satisfying.

Yeah Krosis on the mountaintop was one of most memorable battles I've had. He was a really tough challenge for my level. He was able to hover off the mountain and hammer me with his Staff of Fireballs. If I was a melee focused character I don't know how I would have done it. Since I'm a destruction mage I hit him back with two-fisted lightning spells. We went back and forth like that for quite some time. It looked really epic. That was also the fight where my Lydia died.

Top Bottom