• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flowers of Evil (Aku no Hana) |OT| There's a rotoscoped SHIT EATER in all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

I decided to read the first volume of Flowers of Evil at Books of Million (I almost became *that* guy, but at least I was sitting on a chair reading it rather than being on the god damn floor). I really enjoyed the first volume, and I plan to return to my bookstore to finish reading the other volumes when I have more time.

There are a few scenes in the anime that I am excited to see now because of the new art style. I am pretty happy with the change of style, since it gives me another reason to watch the anime. Some scenes are going to be far creepier because of the anime's art style. Shit, I cannot wait! Thanks for leading me to this manga and show, OP (and Anime-Gaf).

Just finished reading Volume II

36322964.jpg

I LOVE Nakamura
sociopath trollololol

Really excited to see some of this stuff in the anime, especially
the bit where Kasuga and Nakamura completely trash the classroom.
<- spoilers from the manga there.

My anticipation for this episode kind of got to me, but things are really getting started now!

Aku no Hana - 2
I think one of this show's strongest assets is the music and how it uses it so effectively. The droning, eery sound of it created an unsettling mood that was present in both episodes. There was a specific moment near the end where a character is looking directly at the screen with a very harmless expression. That brief image combined with the understated music in that moment gave me chills!

Also, this episode succeeds again with another great transition into the ED. Can't wait for next week!

Soma

Aku no Hana Episode 02

iuNkf78c4dVqW.jpg

sideburns moe

Direction: Still great.
Backgrounds: Still gorgeous
Character animation: Still distracting... kind of.

Either this is some Stockholm Syndrome shit or something but I didn't find them nearly as distracting as I did in the first episode. For the most part anyways. I'm even starting to prefer these character designs to their manga counterparts. When they're not looking so detail-less and awkward when juxtaposed against the detailed backgrounds, the character designs work really well. For example this was undoubtedly the most unsettling moment in the entire episode for me. The image by itself might not look like that much but within the context of the scene and with the subtle music complimenting it... it gave me chills! Good stuff.

Also, potentially controversial opinion time:

Aku no Hana credits lead-in > JoJo credits lead-in

SkEYH8X.jpg

wonzo

Banned
Episode 2

akunohana2.jpg

Man, they've completely nailed down Nakamura's character in this. I was pretty worried how this would handle the bike scene but it did a really good job with it, the jump cuts when
Kasuga was running away from Nakamura
were pretty funny and added to just how sad he is. The best part was easily
Kasuga turning around to face Nakamura after she handed him the note,
the music during that just sent the biggest chill down my spine. The same could be said of the ED transition as they're easily the best I've seen in a while, and that includes JoJo!

The only issues I had with this episode were the little previews in the OP which really should just switch back to the cuts of the backgrounds and the
first person face swirl really didn't work at all sans the last part.

akunohana2a.jpg

Dresden

I could literally feel the ennui, the spleen, building up and hitting critical highs as our dear protagonist wallowed in his small, but personally universal, melancholy. What the show does so well is to capture the out-of-scale sense of shame that swallows Kasuga up. They're still children, going through puberty; every slight, every glance, every touch, they all mean more than they should.

Roto at the beginning actually worked well--episode was far more approachable than the last; it's a more conventional episode, less concerned with depicting the grinding repetition or the monotony of his life and more with the sudden acceleration, the introduction of Nakamura-san.

Good stuff.

nakamura-san unf unf

Dresden

Which Redline debate?

began here:

I don't even know the anime, but those cars are clearly 3d, look at the style, is completely different from the one of the characters and the cars are perfectly "drawn", no perspective errors.
The complete scene is 3d, not only the cars, even sky and terrain.

Look at these

Can you see the difference?
Everything is fast so it's difficult to say what is 2d and what 3d, but in screenshots differences are clear.
Cel shading will never catch hand drawn cartoons/animes look if it doesn't lose its lack of errors and imperfections.

LordCanti

Just finished reading Volume II

36322964.jpg

I LOVE Nakamura
sociopath trollololol

Really excited to see some of this stuff in the anime, especially
the bit where Kasuga and Nakamura completely trash the classroom.
<- spoilers from the manga there.

(Manga spoilers)
I can't decide if that's where they'll end the anime, or with the scene at the festival. I know they won't have time for the portions after that. Those are the portions that are the most interesting to me, because everything leading up to it felt very overly dramatic and up its own ass.

Well, I really liked episode 2 also.
The animation has continued to grow on me.
The backgrounds are still beautiful.
The music is great. It really helps with the atmosphere building.
The pace still seems fine.

I'm looking forward to the next one already.

fertygo

eps2
Wow this was real good, its clear Nagahama are talented director.. the story flowing well and have weight. I kinda wish its a clean adaptation, or at least they have better model for Nakamura, Saeki actually look pretty.

sonicmj1

Episode 2

I like this a lot. I barely notice the rotoscoping anymore, even though there was plenty of disappearing face syndrome here.

As others have said, this episode does a fantastic job of portraying the choking sense of adolescent guilt that plagues Kasuga. The droning sound design, the long takes, and the claustrophobic closeups underline the constant tension he's feeling. It's really effective direction. I think I caught myself audibly exhaling at the end of the second homeroom in the episode.

It's not a fun show, but it's really interesting.

Necrovex

eps2
Wow this was real good, its clear Nagahama are talented director.. the story flowing well and have weight. I kinda wish its a clean adaptation, or at least they have better model for Nakamura, Saeki actually look pretty.

I am fine with Nakamura appearance; it fits the show's tone better than making her all pretty. Her appearance actually makes more sense in the anime than it does in the manga. When I think of someone with Nakamura's personality, I do not think of a cute girl.

fertygo

I am fine with Nakamura appearance; it fits the show's tone better than making her all pretty. Her appearance actually makes more sense in the anime than it does in the manga. When I think of someone with Nakamura's personality, I do not think of a cute girl.

Well her hot appearance help to establish how "kinky" the relationship are later.. you can't do that with girl that look like men.

Necrovex

Well her hot appearance help to establish how "kinky" the relationship are later.. you can't do that with girl that look like men.

Fair enough. I have only read the first volume, so I cannot comment much on the other volumes. If I can finish this homework in a few hours, I will probably read through another volume in celebration of completing Biology.

Despera

Banned
Just to quote myself...

So yeah... I liked the first ep but cautiously anticipate the next one. Episode 2 will probably be where the show picks up the pace and hopefully garners a less negative reception.
I guess I was right :D

Really, this episode was good.
The way Nakamura just stared at Kasuga with an emotionless, expressionless face after handing him that note, accompanied with the music, was genuinely creepy

One thing which felt a bit jarring was how the animation kept stopping completely (like the video froze) and then continued a few times during the scene where
the teacher explained Saiki's situation

Clov

I'm really glad to see that there's many people here that are enjoying this anime. I haven't read the manga, but when I saw that this was being directed by the same guy that did Mushishi, I couldn't resist. I honestly don't mind the rotoscoping, though sometimes it looks a little... off (like when Kasuga runs away from Nakamura in episode 2).

What this does really well is build a sense of dread, that only seems to be getting stronger and stronger with each episode. I can't help but feel that this is going to build up to a shocking or terrifying conclusion, but I also can't help but continue to watch. This is going to be very interesting, I think.

I can't bring myself to listen to the full ending theme. Those voices always catch me off guard and they just really creep me out.

Jex

So, episode two was pretty good as well! Not quite up to the standards of the opener but it didn't drop off as precipitously as I had feared. The direction, the editing and the audio remained extremely effective at conveying an unpleasant mood.

Kasuga is just such a well drawn character in a manner which is unusual for your typical high school protagonist. The naturalistic writing is matched by naturalistic direction which really sets this series apart from your normal anime series. It basically feels like a live action series except that most Japanese TV that I've been exposed to looks rubbish and this looks excellent.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This was pretty good.

Takao mom-san unf unf unf.

One thing which felt a bit jarring was how the animation kept stopping completely (like the video froze) and then continued a few times during the scene where
the teacher explained Saiki's situation

Yeah that was pretty much my only complaint for episode 2, that particular scene was really iffy - especially considering how well Nakamura/Kasuga were animated in this episode, it was pretty jarring.

Watched episode 1.

I don't know what to think. I don't even understand the book he is reading. Is it poetry?

I may watch episode 2.

Watched episode 1.

I don't know what to think. I don't even understand the book he is reading. Is it poetry?

I may watch episode 2.

You should definitely check out episode 2, the first is really all about setting the scene rather than advancing the plot, second episode is where things take off - and by episode 3 it'll be in full swing.

Dennis

Banned
Aku no Hana 1

What the fuck did I just watch?

The background art is gorgeous and I don't mind the repetition. The character art still looks weird to me. But I suppose that is appropriately unsettling if this is a horror (?) story.

Intrigued. Will watch episode 2.

Just finished reading volume V of the manga. All I can say is that it's awesome, and fucked up.
I wonder how much of the plot the anime can cover? If they do a few time-skips they can probably condense a fair bit of it into there, there are some scenes that would be really missed in the anime if they left them out.

Dresden

It'll probably cover through volume six. There's a good stopping point there that the anime can take some liberties with.

panda21

i really liked this! its the first time i watched an anime and their wasn't some enormously retarded science fiction/contrived plot device that made it unbearable to watch. although maybe that is coming soon.
the weird girl is an alien and he will have to play a game in a virtual reality world to accumulate %C money to pay for a virtual space abortion for her.

might be partly because of the art style, that picture on the previous page with the girls with the guitars sums it up nicely. first one makes me want to smash something.

i really liked this! its the first time i watched an anime and their wasn't some enormously retarded science fiction/contrived plot device that made it unbearable to watch. although maybe that is coming soon.
the weird girl is an alien and he will have to play a game in a virtual reality world to accumulate %C money to pay for a virtual space abortion for her.

might be partly because of the art style, that picture on the previous page with the girls with the guitars sums it up nicely. first one makes me want to smash something.

Nah you're safe, it doesn't go in any stupid direction like that ;D

Necrovex

Flower of Evil 2

This anime will easily get into my top five for this year if the quality doesn't falter (and from what I have read of the manga, it should hold up). The retroscoping took a little to get used to, but I am a major fan of the character art now. The background continues to be impressive.

One thing I really enjoy is the creepy ass ambient music, particularly (plot)
at the end of the episode when Nakamura pushes Kasuga into Saeki's breasts. The music was so god damn creepy.

Pretty frustrating episode, the easy route would have so much trouble and not dragged out something so simple over 20+ minutes, ugh, Kasuga why. Worst yet the music tries to hype up events to make them feel like something major is happening and then what...nothing.

Nakumura is easily winning the award for best character in this anime
So glad someone in this is taking initiative and moving things forward and has a good mind on their shoulders, the whole arranging event for Kasuga there and pushing him figuratively and literally to do things and even adding some suspense to him

The Flowers of Evil 2

God damn they way they use the music to build tension in this show is incredible. The low hums and droning drums serve to make you incredibly uncomfortable as the camera lingers on a scene. So far I say they are doing a fantastic job with this adaptation.

iuy9lRHaPjVDq.gif

Just saw this gif in another thread and had to check it out. Unique animation style immediately grabbed me. Good thing I can catch up, not many episodes :)

duckroll

Episode 2

wjqg3kI.jpg

Best visual shot in the entire episode.

This show is still ugly, the rotoscoping is still annoying, and the general prevailing feeling is that it is just plain unpleasant to watch. There's a lot of "good" in the show in terms of how realistic the character behaviors and emotions are, and how frustrating it can be being a teenager, but at the same time... it's just really hard for me to focus on the good things because I'm really turned off by how most of the show looks. Rotoscoping really isn't for me. I'm not sure how many more episodes I will last. :(

Jex

One day you'll stop seeing the horrors of rotoscoping and it will look fine to you, like you can no longer see the horrors of CG and it all looks okay to you at present.

Thanks gaf for introducing me to this anime! I'm absolutely loving everything about the show. It reminds me of the Haruki Murakami books I've been reading.

Skab

I'm curious as to where they'll choose to end the anime.

I kinda want them to take it all the way up to the (manga spoilers)
festival
just to see when Nakamura
shows up at Kasugas house with the baseball bat.

hteng

Banned
read the manga after reading the thread description, fucking hell this is some stockholm sadistic masochism drama here, absolutely amazing. But after that "incident" the whole thing seems to drag on forever. An absolutely must read for people that likes psychological torment and drama!

Watched both episodes, yeah that was amazing. Right up my alley, taking the mundane high school affairs and making it have a more psychological thriller bent like Welcome to NHK. I'm on board all the way. Cool that they even tell you how many episodes there'll be.

I can totally relate to taking some thing as a teen and being unsure when to give it back. Digging a hole of lies, justifications, and negative consequences if you fessed up to your bad deed. As a teen, these little things are your entire world. The shame is that deep.

Love love the art style, maybe I'm just more used to rotoscoping (Kid's Story in Animatrix, Prince of Persia, Waking Life, Waltz with Bashir, etc) so I had zero issues with the faces or animations. Since it's trying to be a realistic slice of life, it fits. Rather take this than other art styles in anime. Gotta recommend this to my sister, the last thing she watched was Kids on the Slope.

Man, just read the thread and it seems very divisive. Some people came from the manga to this. I wouldn't want to spoil myself by reading the manga. I'm glad I didn't invest so much or had any expectations, just am along for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom