• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

@redbullracing: "Good morning from a sunny Bahrain. Working hard in the garage at the moment but we'll be out on track soon. #Bahrain"

@shaneus - I didn't see any pics on Autosport of the Williams

If those Amus Jerez speed traps are true then I guess 4-5 seconds slower will be the norm with the gimped fuel running and lack of downforce.

The top speed this year was faster than last year's by 2 km/h, but the fastest sector one speed trap was down by a whopping 48 km/h.

Hana-Bi

The new Lotus:

Formel-1-Lotus-E22-Romain-Grosjean-Bahrain-Test-Tag-1-fotoshowImage-5f877b5b-755964.jpg

Hackbert

huh.. Magnussen impresses me. Should be an interesting fight at the start of the season between Ferrari/Mclaren and Mercs. plus maybe Williams

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I wonder if Lotus will mirror the tusks depending on whether the track is clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Zeknurn

I'm surprised no one posted this. It was making the rounds on twitter yesterday.
Bg0eEdQIUAAYt_H.jpg:large

Looks great tbh.

I wonder if Lotus will mirror the tusks depending on whether the track is clockwise or counter-clockwise.

They said they weren't going to do that because the benefit wasn't high enough.

Because Taki Inoue ‏is so much fun on Twitter :D

"Jesus..... Red Bull has done zero lap so far now? WTF!! Really wants to know the comment of Dr. Marco.

Presumably Dr. Marco doesn't have any one whom he can blame and complain instead of @AussieGrit ."

RB is still going to be fine.

e: Extra cooling outlet on the Lotus.

YvEY74S.jpg

NHale

Renault seems to have fixed their issues, relatively speaking, I think we can safely say now this is a rb packaging issue. Newey gone to far again, I hope this is another mp4-18!

At least the MP4-18 was able to finish 2 laps without the car catching fire.

dalin80

Banned
The curious thing is that the car hasn't even moved yet so why did they leave the cutting until now? If they knew they had an issue then this is really the wrong time to make changes.

Mastah

From Autosport forum:

Craig Scarborough has reported new information on this Renault problem on the Pit Stop Radio Show podcast on Monday evening. One can download the show here, also.

@ minute 14:17, after discussing the ES problem briefly, Craig then says the big problem is in the ERS-K system. He said the ERS-K was apparently bringing its power in too quickly back to the ICE mainshaft, causing failure in the ERS-K, and the crankcase itself. He said there is a fundamental problem with the shaft of the ERS-K. Consequently, they now have a big redesign.

"For the rest of testing, they're going to have to without full ERS power... There is also some debate as to whether this part will be ready for Melbourne as well. So potentially for some of the first races the Renault engines could be handicapped because of this problem with this motor generator."

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/191766-renault-problems-are-catastrophic/?p=6585453

ramparter

Banned
They are 7 secs off the pace. Clearly they can't do quick laps yet.

Hamilton leaps back to the top of the times on his 53rd lap of the test. First man into the 1m37s, putting him just a second shy of Vettel's fastest race lap at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix.
I expected the cars to be much slower than last year, glad I was wrong.

Shaneus

Holy shit @ that Scarbs info. Renault be fucked.

RBR, Williams and Caterham are all using those engines, right? Whose merch am I gonna buy in Melbourne now?!?

dalin80

Banned
Massively different temps though, the tyres were getting melted during the race last year so it's not a great indicator of pace.

I remember mentioning how advantageous it would be for RBR to have their B-Team STR using Renault engines too and how much more info they'd get.

I bet the STR guys now wish they had stayed with Ferrari.

RBR, STR and Caterham, Williams switched to Mercedes.

Is that a joke I'm not getting? RBR and STR are using Renault, Caterham, too. Only Williams switched to Mercedes.

1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 70 laps

2. Adrian Sutil (Sauber) 57

3. Robin Frijns (Caterham) 44

4. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 40

5. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) 32

6. Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) 25

7. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); Romin Grosjean (Lotus) 7

8. Felipe Massa (Williams) 3

9. Jules Bianchi (Marussia) 2

Bit more encouraging for the Red Bull. Still 4 seconds off the pace, but given it's the first day they've done any real mileage it's not too bad.

Edit - Though it looks like Vettel might have just stopped on track. So maybe not.

malyce

As much as I hated the RBR dominance of the last few years, it kills my whole vibe to see them having this much problems. I know I know I know, it's way too early to call and RBR will be fine, but I'd much prefer them to get these issues sorted out for Melbourne.

Lima

I'd be fine with the slower times if it means for better racing... I'm probably alone in this though :(
But then the races would be even longer. Think about all the kids these days that don't have the attention span to follow a 2 hour race.

Top Bottom