• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 17m

4 Mercedes cars leading the lap count: Williams (111), McLaren (109), Force India (94) & Mercedes (89). Renault-teams hit by trouble again.

I wonder how the people at STR feel about the switch from Ferrari to Renault.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes tested quite a lot of new stuff today, from different exhaust covers, different diffuser ..

And shitload of laps from Mercedes powered teams:
Bahrain part 2 day 1 laps by manufacturer

Mercedes 400
Ferrari 140
Renault 136

Pimpwerx

As a Lewis Hamilton fan, I am just pleased as punch at the prospects for this season. We should all be happy it's not Red Bull again. I look forward to seeing what Hammy is capable of when given a dominant car. I want to see him demolish Nico and the rest of the field. Dude is so unlucky, I just want to see him run wild for at least one season. Roll on Melbourne. PEACE.

DBT85

Oh sweet jesus, the McLaren long run times are not good at all, the Williams looks much better (don't know fuel loads yadayada)

15:42 Here is the second stint of 22 laps Magnussen on medium tires: out lap - 1:40.5 - 1:41.5 - 1:41.9 - 1:42.0 - 1:42.0 - 1:42.0 - 1:41.8 - 1:42.7 - 1:43.4 - 1:43.1 - 1:43.1 - 1:43.5 - 1:43.7 - 1:44.1 - 1:44.3 - 1:45.0 - 1:45.2 - 1:45.8 - 1:46.4 - 1:46.6 - Inlap

15:45 And here Vergleuich for the second stint of 21 laps Bottas also on medium tires: out lap - 1:40.4 - 1:41.1 - 1:41.5 - 1:41.9 - 1:41.9 - 1:41.3 - 1:41.7 - 1:41.6 - 1:41.6 - 1:41.9 - 1:41.8 - 1:41.9 - 1:42.0 - 1:42.5 - 1:42.4 - 1:42.9 - 1:43.3 - 1:43.4 - 1:43.7 - Inlap

Nice from Bottas!

When Merc had the system that automatically breaked the inner wheels in a turn, which the FIA OK´d before the season, but suddenly banned after Merc drove circles around the competition?

That was McLaren and it was a third pedal, not automatic.

Zeknurn

Did you really say HOPE?!?

And you still remember 1998, right? Merc is not gonna win, if the FIA can do something against it...

I guess all I want to see is the Renault and Ferrari powered teams have a chance this season and not be screwed because of their choice of power unit. But it will probably even itself out when Hamilton does what he usually does and McLaren forgets to put on all wheels in a pitstop.

So what I'm saying is Massa - Williams to win WDC and WCC.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Any new news on fuel consumption?

And looks like warmer weather caused issues to Mercedes this afternoon, they probably ran with Melbourne cooling specs

Jibbed

Seeing as predictions are starting to pop up, here's my 2 cents for Australia...

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Magnussen

Anything past 3rd in both qualifying and the race is anyone's guess really. Button, Bottas, Massa, Hulkenberg, Perez, Alonso and Raikkonen will all be up there. And that's assuming they all make it.

#BO77AS

Jibbed

why are people reading so much into testing times smh

It doesn't take a genius to work out Mercedes have a huge, measurable advantage over the rest of the field. Mclaren, Force India, Ferrari and Williams are the 'second tier' so to speak, with everyone else 3+ seconds further down the road.

The fact that no Renault team has been able to complete a race simulation yet is pretty telling.

Edit:
Pace deficits calculated by Autosport's technical expert Gary Anderson. This guy knows what he's talking about. All of the below is tyre and fuel-corrected.

2014 so far... said:
1. Mercedes
2. McLaren-Mercedes +1.795%
3. Force India-Mercedes +3.390%
4. Ferrari +3.466%
5. Williams-Mercedes +4.055%
6. Sauber-Ferrari +4.606%
7. Lotus-Renault +5.815%
8. Toro Rosso-Renault +6.101%
9. Red Bull-Renault +6.597%
Qualifying time cut off. +7.000%
10. Caterham-Renault +7.045%
11. Marussia-Ferrari +9.892%

And for comparison said:
1. Red Bull-Renault
2. Mercedes +0.191%
3. Ferrari +0.587%
4. Lotus-Renault +0.631%
5. McLaren-Mercedes +1.202%
6. Toro Rosso-Ferrari +1.311%
7. Sauber-Ferrari +1.325%
8. Force India-Mercedes +1.374%
9. Williams-Renault +2.098%
10. Caterham-Renault +3.797%
11. Marussia-Cosworth +4.003%

cmr-94

It doesn't take a genius to work out Mercedes have a huge, measurable advantage over the rest of the field. Mclaren, Force India, Ferrari and Williams are the 'second tier' so to speak, with everyone else 3+ seconds further down the road.

The fact that no Renault team has been able to complete a race simulation yet is pretty telling.

Edit:
Pace deficits calculated by Autosport's technical expert Gary Anderson. This guy knows what he's talking about. All of the below is tyre and fuel-corrected.

I wouldn't be so confident in gary andersons prediction ability if i were you

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Conjecture, but still wow. The first race will be highly entertaining.

Jibbed

I wouldn't be so confident in gary andersons prediction ability if i were you

Not saying I'm 100% confident in his predictions, but that's about as good as a 'guess' as we're going to get before the final test is over. And it's not really a guess.

For people who think the racing hasn't been that good the last few years, wait until you experience 1980's level of gaps and reliability. Your head is going to blow along with the FIA's. I hope they've got a plan B,C and D for bringing the field back in line.

Shaneus

I'm sad for Danny Ricky if those times are the case, but happy that Vettel will get a good kick in the shins. Sad for KK, but happy for Massa (I know).

Do we know if Williams are sticking with Merc. for a few seasons or are they joining the Honda camp? Is anyone else joining Honda other than McL?

ajpw

yeah its pretty clear that Mercedes have a strong package i just mean its pretty pointless to look at certain lap times for an indicator for performance, who knows what fuel levels or whatever the teams are running, sandbagging etc

olore

As a Lewis Hamilton fan, I am just pleased as punch at the prospects for this season. We should all be happy it's not Red Bull again. I look forward to seeing what Hammy is capable of when given a dominant car. I want to see him demolish Nico and the rest of the field. Dude is so unlucky, I just want to see him run wild for at least one season. Roll on Melbourne. PEACE.

High five mate although a season with silver painted RB-cars would be equally boring. But, yes, it`s effing time for Lewis`s time in the spotlight

Edit: Formula 1's testing sensors explained

I'm sure he'll take the opportunity to have another meltdown over his lovelife, or pick the moment to concentrate on his record career.

Leunam

You know, I feel for Lewis.

I thought it was also kind of weird that he posted so much about his dog and his adventures in making music. But I got a little perspective recently on that. My fiance and I broke up recently, and we've been together for nine years. I moved out, made some changes, and joined a boxing gym. Now my Facebook feed is mostly about that, or cooking. I've taken up new hobbies and started something I've been wanting to do for so long and I share it with everyone, because that's what's helping me get through this breakup. So when Lewis posts pictures of his dogs or his tattoos, I know that he's dealing with his problems the way lots of people do, by shifting his focus and sharing with his friends, in this case Facebook and Twitter followers.

Looks a little less insane for me now.

Mastah

Newey is still stubborn and won't increase cooling outlets. Instead Bulls, with 3 days to go, are again running with illegal holes in bodywork:

Bhi_TEVIAAAKNTk.jpg:large

Kworn

Banned
Seeing as predictions are starting to pop up, here's my 2 cents for Australia...

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Magnussen

Anything past 3rd in both qualifying and the race is anyone's guess really. Button, Bottas, Massa, Hulkenberg, Perez, Alonso and Raikkonen will all be up there. And that's assuming they all make it.

#BO77AS

1. Hamilton
2. Bottas
3. Rosberg

Hammer24

Banned
That was McLaren and it was a third pedal, not automatic.

It was McLaren-Mercedes, and McLaren can´t take all the credit for the animosity shown them by the FIA alone. ;)
And the first system used was connected to the steering wheel, the second system was the third pedal.

As if the FIA would allow Red Bull and Vettel to fail this season. Crooked bunch of cunts.

#FerrariInternationalAssistance

Wait...

Also, what's really bothering me is how Mercedes is still doing the most laps even with the car breaking down this morning, whilst Ferrari seems to be taking it easy.

Vitaly Petrov found a new home at Mercedes' DTM team.

OmuQCsz.jpg

It seems to be a new home for F1 rejects. He can be all buddy buddy with Di Resta now.

NHale

Newey is still stubborn and won't increase cooling outlets. Instead Bulls, with 3 days to go, are again running with illegal holes in bodywork:

If the rumors are true only a B-spec will save the car from overheating problems. They have to totally redesign the sidepods and coke bottle which will force them to have to pass a new crash test.

Surprise, surprise. Yesterday Renault requested postponement of power unit homologation date by 2-3 months:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...ntragt-aufschub-der-homologation-8163169.html

It will be discussed during Strategy Group meeting today. Rumors are Carlos Ghosn from Renault met Jean Todt and tried to convince him that uncompetetive cars with Renault power units would be bad for the sport.

They will get it because of safety reasons. FIA will not allow cars to have a 40kph+ difference in the grid.

mclem

Sufficient duct tape makes anything legal.

(And now I'm thinking that that'd be an awesome official rule :)

I don't think Renault deserve the extra time, but I do think that if we've got that sort of speed differential three or four races into this season then it'll kill the sport far more than any Red Bull dominance did.

Edit - Actually, maybe they should create a Renault engine series in F1. ;)

Hammer24

Banned
They will get it because of safety reasons. FIA will not allow cars to have a 40kph+ difference in the grid.

The hp difference might be close, but there is no 40kph difference. The real thing is how fast cars are able to get out of the turns.

Top Bottom