• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2 more weeks. fml.

In the meantime, a recollection of Sennas first race win, 30 years ago with the guy who engineered his car that day. Pissing rain, his second season and only second race in a competitive car and he won by over a minute.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...sition---remembering-sennas-first-f1-win.html
Better quality video thats in the article https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIOKRHhOto

Also, I'm bought that S2000 I mentioned, picking up soon! It's a beautiful drive.

You know what you need with that? A nice private Neogaf number plate. You want to buy one? ;)

Ark

I'm guessing Schumacher has the most and Senna the second? Maybe Montoya is second, I have no idea anymore.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As a reaction to FER resurgence, MER has now officially pushed up the schedule.
Which means, the planned development steps stay as they are, but they will shorten the time inbetween introducing them to the race cars.
Edit: this is not just the engines, but aero and other stuff as well.

So they will bring so many parts in Barcelona that they will have tough time deciding what is working and what is not :D

stryke

-Redbull initiated talks with Ferrari to supply engines for next year

Reliable info. The met officially in bahrain

-Ferrari will use 5 tokens by/in Canada which will add up to 30 horse power to their engine

Sorry of old

Would this include Torro Rosso?

lol they had just changed to Renault.

I think I read somewhere (here?) that it's "essentially a new car".

Wonder what else they can bring? They've already brought new front wing, new rear wing, new engine cover, new sidepods outlets, revised nose underside.

I would imagine that any significant upgrade package would include floor, diffuser and/or rear suspension at least. Perhaps bargeboards and sidepod inlets?

BILD reporting that Lewis' contract is settled. €35/year for 3 years + 2 optional. Lewis should have pushed for 1+2 instead of 3+2, unless Mercedes has renewed its commitment for the 1,000bhp era...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wonder what else they can bring? They've already brought new front wing, new rear wing, new engine cover, new sidepods outlets, revised nose underside.

I would imagine that any significant upgrade package would include floor, diffuser and/or rear suspension at least. Perhaps bargeboards and sidepod inlets?

BILD reporting that Lewis' contract is settled. €35/year for 3 years + 2 optional. Lewis should have pushed for 1+2 instead of 3+2, unless Mercedes has renewed its commitment for the 1,000bhp era...

Maybe they will reitroduce some of already brought parts to new versions? Probably their simulator is currently doing overtime...

Didn't they introduced different sidepods last year in Barcelona? I wonder if they will be able to keep development race as they did last year.

Lewis probably have some infos what are Mercedes long term commitments and plans. Damn, did he drop his price so much to be only 35 € a year? :p :D

Maybe they will reitroduce some of already brought parts to new versions? Probably their simulator is currently doing overtime...

Didn't they introduced different sidepods last year in Barcelona? I wonder if they will be able to keep development race as they did last year.

Lewis probably have some infos what are Mercedes long term commitments and plans.

Must be worrying though that their 1s advantage has been clawed back in 3 races.

Would this include Torro Rosso?

lol they had just changed to Renault.

No idea. That's literally all I've been told

If Renault doesn't want to buy TR anymore, I suppose so, yes.

Probably Renault knew about the Redbull interest in Ferrari that's why the TR purchase is being studied. So that they stay in F1.

Redbull just said that the 3 weeks break is crucial for Renault. Final warning? I think Ferrari wouldn't mind supplying a top team. They never did that to my knowledge

[/B]

Must be worrying though that their 1s advantage has been clawed back in 3 races.

I'm still not convinced that that's actually the case. Not until one of the Ferrari gets to fight Lewis on track. Or should they be in the lead somehow, then successfully hold him back. Even Rosberg had no problems getting past them due to the speed advantage.

I'm not saying Ferrari is a distant second, but they're still not quite there yet to actually attack the Mercedes on the same tyre. But hopefully they'll get there and not regress as the season continues.

DBT85

I'm still not convinced that that's actually the case. Not until one of the Ferrari gets to fight Lewis on track. Or should they be in the lead somehow, then successfully hold him back. Even Rosberg had no problems getting past them due to the speed advantage.

I'm not saying Ferrari is a distant second, but they're still not quite there yet to actually attack the Mercedes on the same tyre. But hopefully they'll get there and not regress as the season continues.

I'm the same tbh. The Mercedes is clearly still much faster overall, the Ferrari can just look after it's tyres which, at times, might get them a win and cause Mercedes to have to rethink on strategy.

Had Rosberg not had a brake problem in the last race then it would still have been a 1-2 for Mercedes, and now we head to Europe races where it'll be cooler.

You know what you need with that? A nice private Neogaf number plate. You want to buy one? ;)

Ha no thanks :)

For now the plan is simply to sort the few little bits that need sorting and enjoy it for the summer.

dubc35

Ha no thanks :)

For now the plan is simply to sort the few little bits that need sorting and enjoy it for the summer.
Oh yeah, saw that and meant to comment. Congrats! Looks like a nice car. Is it one of the earlier(?) ones that revs to 9k? I like the color!

DBT85

Oh yeah, saw that and meant to comment. Congrats! Looks like a nice car. Is it one of the earlier(?) ones that revs to 9k? I like the color!

It is indeed. 2003 model, revs to 9k and sounds stunning when you do. The stock car from that year had smaller wheels but the guy I bought it from put 2008 S2000 wheels on which were 17" and it looks much nicer IMO. The only other mods he's done to it were a K&N air filter, new radio and some speakers, so it's not been completely molested like so many have been. There are only about 7,000 left in the UK now and so many have been pimped to all hell.

Colour is Monte Carlo blue and I think my favourite of the lot.

Need to refurb the wheels as he had them diamond cut and they've started to corrode, the soft top needs a couple of small patches in known troublespots and there are a few stone chips on the front bumper, bonnet and wings that I'm going to sort out.

[/B]

Not really though. Merc has been saving their upgrades to allow them to be re-active to whatever situation they end up in.

Ferrari have been pro-active to try and catch Merc, effectively using their tokens to equal Merc, only for them to use theirs and pull away again.

I'm the same tbh. The Mercedes is clearly still much faster overall, the Ferrari can just look after it's tyres which, at times, might get them a win and cause Mercedes to have to rethink on strategy.

Had Rosberg not had a brake problem in the last race then it would still have been a 1-2 for Mercedes, and now we head to Europe races where it'll be cooler.

On the flipside, you could argue that Lewis is in the form of his life and indeed making the difference on the track. If it wasn't for Lewis, Ferrari would have had 2 poles and an additional win.

Rosberg and Mercedes used unsustainable engine setting and race set-up to be faster than Ferrari on race day in Bahrain. Race pace wise, there wasn't much between Ferrari and Mercedes. I think it's safe to say that the more rear-limited a track is (like Malaysia and Bahrain), the more it suits the Ferrari relative to the Mercedes.

Not really though. Merc has been saving their upgrades to allow them to be re-active to whatever situation they end up in.

Ferrari have been pro-active to try and catch Merc, effectively using their tokens to equal Merc, only for them to use theirs and pull away again.

Merci has used more tokens than Ferrari. It remains to be seen whether they have actually used their tokens on their current PU, but it does appear to be the case.

Also, I'm bought that S2000 I mentioned, picking up soon! It's a beautiful drive.
Great car! Came so close to buying one a few years back, but went for the Z3M coupe instead. While I preferred the BMW's straight 6, the s2000 felt more nimble and I loved its high revs. Enjoy your wonderful purchase, the day long test drive I had in an s2000 was a huge amount of fun.

Great car! Came so close to buying one a few years back, but went for the Z3M coupe instead. While I preferred the BMW's straight 6, the s2000 felt more nimble and I loved its high revs. Enjoy your wonderful purchase, the day long test drive I had in an s2000 was a huge amount of fun.

God tier rump. I wouldn't be able to say no either.

DBT85

Ahh nice car! A little out of my range though. The cheapest Z3M on autotrader right now is £10,500 for a 1998. S2000s start at £4,600 for a 2000.

Ahh nice car! A little out of my range though. The cheapest Z3M on autotrader right now is £10,500 for a 1998. S2000s start at £4,600 for a 2000.
wow, they sure hold their value! I sold my 1999 one for £15,500 10 years ago. But yeah, the s2000 is one hell of a car and for under £5k. Will you be taking it on a trackday?

DBT85

wow, they sure hold their value! I sold my 1999 one for £15,500 10 years ago. But yeah, the s2000 is one hell of a car and for under £5k. Will you be taking it on a trackday?

Possibly. I'm paying £7k for a 2003 with 81k on it, also has the hard top and stand.

I want to get used to it a bit before I potentially swap ends on a track and ruin it!

I'd better stop talking about it, I know some in here get tetchy if it's not about f1.

But hey, I'm supporting the Honda F1 comeback by buying Honda parts! Lol.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Heh, apparently the FIA just happens to be in Kathmandu, Nepal this weekend.
I don't think Kathmandu itself is affected too badly by the earthquake.

Zeknurn

Heh, apparently the FIA just happens to be in Kathmandu, Nepal this weekend.
I don't think Kathmandu itself is affected too badly by the earthquake.
@vickychandhok: 1/2 Thoughts with all those affected by the deadly Kathmandu earthquake . Just spoke with our @fia family who are huddled in the car park
@vickychandhok: Since all the hotel window panes shattered , water in the pool leapt up 10 feet and pool cracked. The @fia Asia Pacific conference is on
@vickychandhok: Just to let the motorsport fraternity know.-@fia aprc delegates, Jean Todt, Graham Stoker, Morrie Chandler and all staff are safe in Nepal

Bernie probably summoned the earthquake.

Risgroo

Bernie probably summoned the earthquake.

tumblr_nftttcjw2P1rawb5do4_540.png

dalin80

Banned
[/B]

Has it though? They walked away in Australia and ignoring merc screwing up malaysia through a dumb strategy call Hamilton has not pushed this year. His thoughts so far-

"A good day at the office, a good sunday drive today"
"For me, I'm just really I had pace. I could answer to whoever today"
"When I need to pull it out, I can pull more out of this car. I was coming around Turn 6 and just thought, 'I love this car!'"

"The brake by wire goes into fault mode. So the pedal doesnt go hard, it goes long. I was able to reset it and carry on"

Doesn't sound like someone feeling the need to push.

Lewis probably have some infos what are Mercedes long term commitments and plans. Damn, did he drop his price so much to be only 35 € a year? :p :D

If that is true and I'm not sure it is then it points heavily to a significant per point and per title bonus which if memory serves Lewis has favoured in the past.

DBT85

dalin80

Banned
Just came here to post that as it could at least mean a chance of it happening.

Put Skoda on the F1 Grid, make a splash.

Skoda wont be much good, they will need to wait for VW to make the car, sell it as a golf for a couple of years and then put their badge on it, Audi brand would be easier to get to the track but they will spend the race rubbing the rear wings of the car in front and for some reason be 20% more expensive then every other equivalent model.

Has it though? They walked away in Australia and ignoring merc screwing up malaysia through a dumb strategy call Hamilton has not pushed this year. His thoughts so far-

"A good day at the office, a good sunday drive today"
"For me, I'm just really I had pace. I could answer to whoever today"
"When I need to pull it out, I can pull more out of this car. I was coming around Turn 6 and just thought, 'I love this car!'"

"The brake by wire goes into fault mode. So the pedal doesnt go hard, it goes long. I was able to reset it and carry on"

Doesn't sound like someone feeling the need to push.

If that is true and I'm not sure it is then it points heavily to a significant per point and per title bonus which if memory serves Lewis has favoured in the past.

Lewis was all out in the first stint, though, per the radio transmissions to his engineer. Otherwise, I do agree with you.

Only reason why Lewis would accept a more "flexible" salary structure (i.e., per race wins/title bonuses) is if he genuinely believes that Mercedes has the legs on everybody else. Otherwise, it makes very little sense to change the structure of his contract when the rest of the paddock is closing in on Mercedes.

Very interesting couple of weeks ahead, that's for sure.

End of a era at VAG. Piëch out of VAG: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...dType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter

Regardless of whether or not VAG comes into F1, it's huge news in the car industry.

Considering they're trying to cut billions in costs it's still unlikely they're getting into F1.

Good riddance. Yet another stubborn, senile man thats out of touch with reality.

Its insane how much power he had in VAG, much like his arch nemesis Bernie in F1.

Good riddance. Yet another stubborn, senile man thats out of touch with reality.

Its insane how much power he had in VAG, much like his arch nemesis Bernie in F1.

From an engineer's perspective, I personally have a lot of respect for Piech.

From a business and management perspective, yeah I agree with you. He arguably had too much power. If it's true that he wanted his wife to succeed him, LOL.

From an engineer's perspective, I personally have a lot of respect for Piech.

From a business and management perspective, yeah I agree with you. He arguably had too much power. If it's true that he wanted his wife to succeed him, LOL.

I was gonna edit that into my post earlier :p

I have the uttermost respect for some of the things hes responsible (or had a contribution in):

Quattro, Porsche 917, Phaeton, Veyron, Audi's resurgence, etc

But from a business perspective, he was just a bitter old man who always wanted to get his way, have the final say, and no one dared to challenge his authority/decisions in fear of severe repercussions.

He needs to enjoy his retirement. Leave the stress of the corporate world to the young guys ;)

Top Bottom