• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

if they're into cutting billions, does it really make sense for therm to have both Audi and Porsche in the WEC?

WEC is more road-relevant, cheaper and has more technical freedom than F1. Not to mention none of the political issues of F1. F1 just has more exposure.

Audi and Porsche have different approaches in their cars which kinda justifies their presence in WEC.

I was gonna edit that into my post earlier :p

I have the uttermost respect for some of the things hes responsible (or had a contribution in):

Quattro, Porsche 917, Phaeton, Veyron, Audi's resurgence, etc

But from a business perspective, he was just a bitter old man who always wanted to get his way, have the final say, and no one dared to challenge his authority/decisions in fear of severe repercussions.

He needs to enjoy his retirement. Leave the stress of the corporate world to the young guys ;)

Lets not forget that he was also the man who brought VW back from the brink of bankruptcy.

I think it's fair to say he's the most important car executive in the last 30 years at least. He really pushed the envelope and VAG is better for that.
He's been successful in almost every endeavor - even the Phaeton was amazing.

It's an amazing career, but he played his cards wrong when you threw Winterkorn under the bus a couple of weeks ago, like he did with Pischetsrieder, but got it wrong.

Too bad, it's a sad way to end such a distinguished career.

Mohonky

11081274_910044562389809_3691790201044070591_n.jpg
Hehehehe.

Needs a "then he blamed me for it"

TCRS

Banned
I've been wondering if we'll ever see him in F1. Probably not.

why not? the name Schumacher still has a big draw and should make it pretty easy for him. I know Michael Schumacher didn't want his children to go into motorsports but I guess he changed his mind.

why not? the name Schumacher still has a big draw and should make it pretty easy for him. I know Michael Schumacher didn't want his children to go into motorsports but I guess he changed his mind.

If anything, it's going to make it even harder for him. The pressure to deliver is going to be much higher and I don't think he wants to end up like Ralf or Bruno. Even if he does well, it's going to take a while until people drop the "it's because he's Michael's son, he got his talent" comments. It's not really a desirable position to be in. Props to him for even going that route, though.

Aiii

So not worth it

Ralf Schumacher's entire career was "Oh, you're related to him, huh? Sure, sign here."

DBT85

If anything, it's going to make it even harder for him. The pressure to deliver is going to be much higher and I don't think he wants to end up like Ralf or Bruno. Even if he does well, it's going to take a while until people drop the "it's because he's Michael's son, he got his talent" comments. It's not really a desirable position to be in. Props to him for even going that route, though.

It's not about having talent though, its about having the name which will draw sponsors in.

EDIT: interesting to see the RBR and Torro Rosso drivers now being the ones to criticise Renault after Horner was getting slammed for the persistent crying. Both Kvyat and Verstappen making comments now.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not about having talent though, its about having the name which will draw sponsors in.

EDIT: interesting to see the RBR and Torro Rosso drivers now being the ones to criticise Renault after Horner was getting slammed for the persistent crying. Both Kvyat and Verstappen making comments now.

Because Verstappen lost two point finishes and an entire weekend tot shitty Renault engines and is already on his fourth engine ensuring penalties later on. It's hardly crying when you have legitimate complaints, isn't it?

To be fair, I don't think Horner was crying either, but then again I don't irrationally hate a team for being owned by a energy drink company. ;)

DBT85

Because Verstappen lost two point finishes and an entire weekend tot shitty Renault engines and is already on his fourth engine ensuring penalties later on. It's hardly crying when you have legitimate complaints, isn't it?

To be fair, I don't think Horner was crying either, but then again I don't irrationally hate a team for being owned by a energy drink company. ;)

I don't care who owns the team, just the whingebag who runs it.

They were publicly slating their engine supplier rather than working with them behind the scenes after 4 years of domination and Renault getting much less attention than they should. And now that its not all going according to plan he says they might leave. Bye.

Just found it interesting that since Horner has shut up about it after most of the press were ragging on him for being so negative in public, the drivers start speaking up when they've been quiet for the most part.

Fox Mulder

I don't care who owns the team, just the whingebag who runs it.

They were publicly slating their engine supplier rather than working with them behind the scenes after 4 years of domination and Renault getting much less attention than they should. And now that its not all going according to plan he says they might leave. Bye.

Just found it interesting that since Horner has shut up about it after most of the press were ragging on him for being so negative in public, the drivers start speaking up when they've been quiet for the most part.

I get that redbull seemed to take Renault for granted in their glory years, but I think there's a difference between bitching about not winning all the time anymore and bitching about losing so many engines each weekend.

Ruruja

He's likely to be given the best car throughout his pre-F1 career which always helps to deliver though. Who wouldn't want an M. Schumacher winning races for them? (Just look how much coverage his win in F4 is getting)

Shaneus

I get that redbull seemed to take Renault for granted in their glory years, but I think there's a difference between bitching about not winning all the time anymore and bitching about losing so many engines each weekend.
But they spent more money on development last year than Mercedes!

Side note: How long do we think Kvyat will be in RBR? I'm picking it won't be long (maybe start of 2017) before Verstappen or Sainz Jr. get moved up there. Danny Ricky gonna get Webbered :/

Side note: How long do we think Kvyat will be in RBR? I'm picking it won't be long (maybe start of 2017) before Verstappen or Sainz Jr. get moved up there. Danny Ricky gonna get Webbered :/
I actually think Kvyat will be gone after this year. Though if I was Verstappen I'd be looking for a different seat.

I agree. Kvyat was/is very much to RBR what Perez was to McLaren. A panicked move.
Perez to McLaren was so left field since he wasn't even in their driver program. Kvyat shouldn't have been chosen over Vergne, but they made that choice and stuck with it. Knowing these engines Kvyat will be P5 and still yield 0 points because it'll blow up at some point in the race weekend. Only thing is who would Red Bull promote? Sainz or Verstappen? Both seem pretty good actually and you can't choose both unless you boot out Ricciardo. Though Verstappen can shop elsewhere and should.

Hammer24

Banned
Look at Lewis's radio transmission on lap 7, I think that he would disagree...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/04/24/2015-bahrain-grand-prix-team-radio-transcript/

I´m sure you´re aware, that many of these messages are simply smoke and mirrors, as the teams and drivers know full well that the other teams listen in.
The one in lap7 f.i. is a nice example. Knowing he could go quite a bit faster, he simply tried to goad the drivers behind him into an all out attack trying to catch up to him, thus destroying their tyres. Look at the Pirelli pic I posted as a reminder which tyres everyone was on then. ;-)

I don't know about that, a deal with Ferrari should greatly help them. Or who knows, even Honda when they sort things out.
If Red Bull looks for a different engine supplier then fine, but RBR with those Renault hand grenades is not good at all, even Sainz is too good for that shit, and I like Sainz, Verstappen too.

frontieruk

I´m sure you´re aware, that many of these messages are simply smoke and mirrors, as the teams and drivers know full well that the other teams listen in.
The one in lap7 f.i. is a nice example. Knowing he could go quite a bit faster, he simply tried to goad the drivers behind him into an all out attack trying to catch up to him, thus destroying their tyres. Look at the Pirelli pic I posted as a reminder which tyres everyone was on then. ;-)

Actually he sounded very frustrated as I remember hearing that one, it was in the same narked off tone as when they were chatting to him in corners...

Mohonky

Kyvat will be gone at the end of the year without question. Right now the excitement is around Verstappen but honestly between him and Sainz, I think they both seem pretty even. Verstappen might just be getting more of the excitement being so much younger, but Sainz is no slouch. Kyvat had some good results at Torro Rosso but he is sketchy, some days he is on it other days he is pulling a Maldonado and catching himself out.

I highly doubt Ricciardo will be going anywhere, he is genuinely fast and one of those drivers that will drive the ring out of the car, his first year in RBR and even Vettel struggled with him. So he'll be fine, but I fully expect Kyvat to be gone from RBR and one of the current TR boys in a seat beside Ricciardo.

I also really question whether Jenson Button will have a seat next year, I highly doubt it, if I was Mclaren I would be looking at one of those TR drivers. Both have pace, both still young and will continue to improve. For me, Button is just a dead end. He is getting closer to retirement, he has been at Mclaren a few years now and done jack shit but moan if the car is anything but perfect.

I also really question whether Jenson Button will have a seat next year, I highly doubt it, if I was Mclaren I would be looking at one of those TR drivers. Both have pace, both still young and will continue to improve. For me, Button is just a dead end. He is getting closer to retirement, he has been at Mclaren a few years now and done jack shit but moan if the car is anything but perfect.

Button is there to develop the car and get results. If Mclaren cared about youth, they would have kept Kevin on. And what's the point at this point of hiring a young hot shot and putting them in a dog of a car? They've done that for two years running and it's got them nowhere.

They're still expecting to be relatively uncompetitive next year, so I don't see a better option on the grid to complement Alonso and get them up to speed as quickly as possible. And Alonso has hardly been driving rings around him so far this year.

Id love to know the internal thinking behind RBR when they promoted a first year driver over a proven vet like Vergne, who had the measure of their star, Ricciardo, on race pace when they were both at Torro Rosso. For all we know, Vergne going toe to toe with Ricciardo may have convinced them he'd destabilize Ricciardo and thus not be a good fit. As we know, RBR are not remotely concerned with putting out the strongest 1,2 driver lineup, otherwise they would have given Alonso a drive when he came calling.

Anyway, rewatching Spa 96 and it's an absolutely epic battle between Schumacher and Villeneuve. Joss Verstappen has a frightening collision with the tyre barriers at the midway point of the race and shows all the signs of being concussed (walking in an almost drunken, wobbly manner, having to lay down in the grass to recollect himself as paramedics assist him) but the BBC commentary (Walker, Jonathan Palmer) dont even seem remotely panicked about Verstappen's physical well being. "A nasty shunt that", they say matter of factly then go back to talking about the frontrunners. Was a different era, then.
And who could forget the "up and coming" stars of that era: back then it was Mika Salo, who had people convinced he would be something special, and of course Jacques Villeneuve whose Williams completely flattered his middling racecraft. I imagine it would have been difficult to not get swept into his hype train, seeing as it was his rookie year, he seemed to have good raw pace ,and most "impressively", he wasnt afraid to put the nose of his car up the inside of anyone.

Button is there to develop the car and get results. If Mclaren cared about youth, they would have kept Kevin on. And what's the point at this point of hiring a young hot shot and putting them in a dog of a car? They've done that for two years running and it's got them nowhere.

They're still expecting to be relatively uncompetitive next year, so I don't see a better option on the grid to complement Alonso and get them up to speed as quickly as possible. And Alonso has hardly been driving rings around him so far this year.

I think if McLaren/Honda expected to be that bad, they wouldn't have wasted their money on a Alonso this year. Those few more tenths Alonso could bring can matter when you're fighting for the top, not to finish a race or barely score some points, if any.

And when it comes to "developing" a car, Alonso has no track record whatsoever of doing a good job at that.

What a waste of a driver though.

Ark

I wouldn't be surprised if RBR promoted Kyvat on a gamble that he'd either be a new Seb or dead weight compared to Riccardo so they can boot him for Verstappen.

I realise how cynicle that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Staab

I think if McLaren/Honda expected to be that bad, they wouldn't have wasted their money on a Alonso this year.
Doubt it, they knew they weren't going to challenge for wins in their first season so they wanted to lock him down for the year after, I think that's about it.
If he hadn't gone to McLaren I'm pretty sure he would've re-signed at Ferrari.

Dilly

Banned
Kyvat will be gone at the end of the year without question. Right now the excitement is around Verstappen but honestly between him and Sainz, I think they both seem pretty even. Verstappen might just be getting more of the excitement being so much younger, but Sainz is no slouch. Kyvat had some good results at Torro Rosso but he is sketchy, some days he is on it other days he is pulling a Maldonado and catching himself out.

I highly doubt Ricciardo will be going anywhere, he is genuinely fast and one of those drivers that will drive the ring out of the car, his first year in RBR and even Vettel struggled with him. So he'll be fine, but I fully expect Kyvat to be gone from RBR and one of the current TR boys in a seat beside Ricciardo.

They don't have to look at TR, they have Vandoorne.

andshrew

Id love to know the internal thinking behind RBR when they promoted a first year driver over a proven vet like Vergne, who had the measure of their star, Ricciardo, on race pace when they were both at Torro Rosso. For all we know, Vergne going toe to toe with Ricciardo may have convinced them he'd destabilize Ricciardo and thus not be a good fit. As we know, RBR are not remotely concerned with putting out the strongest 1,2 driver lineup, otherwise they would have given Alonso a drive when he came calling.

I might be remembering wrong but I think they had already decided to dump Vergne prior to Vetel quiting, so they didn't want to backtrack and promote him to to the first team at the same time.

That left Kvyatt as the only option given that they seem to only want to use drivers that have come through their own development programme.

Fox Mulder

I wouldn't be surprised if RBR promoted Kyvat on a gamble that he'd either be a new Seb or dead weight compared to Riccardo so they can boot him for Verstappen.

I realise how cynicle that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Who else were they going to promote when seb left?

They were done with vergne and they got to open both TR seats up for the new guys. Kyvat also brings Russian exposure for Red Bull.

Such a simple idea that could work.

I like it, but just like always, it's virtually impossible to actually prove how much the teams are spending. There's nothing stopping Ferrari having their road car division do a shitload of work for the F1 division and only charge them a fraction of the actual cost. Same for Mercedes and McLaren.

Fox Mulder

Unfortunately not the same for me.

I love having a robust career mode, and every year CM has gotten worse on this aspect. Now they just got rid of it.

The career mode is apparently something that was really restricted by the license. There were never driver changes, no German GP track rotation, and your car and suit still had real drivers names on them.

It's stupid when you can do far more in depth career modes in other sports games, but F1 is out of touch in many things.

Ryne

The career mode is apparently something that was really restricted by the license. There were never driver changes, no German GP track rotation, and your car and suit still had real drivers names on them.

It's stupid when you can do far more in depth career modes in other sports games, but F1 is out of touch in many things.

Yup, I knew about the restrictions, and I always modded the suit/car to include my name.

Even with the restrictions, I put 2000+ hours combined into the season mode over the past few games. I just loved inserting myself into the F1 season.

However there were always issues with CM's career mode (car/team development), which makes me think they got rid of it so they don't have to actually fix it.

Ark

So it was Webber's accident in Brazil that stopped Alonso running for Porsche at Le Mans. Bummer.

Speaking of Webber, he lays down the truth in this interview: http://en.f1i.com/magazine/10320-mark-webber-i-want-f1-to-be-awesome-again.html

I don't think anyone would agree that the races now are more boring than those of old that he refers to. And as much as I agree with the whole tyre management being ridiculous thing, the only way F1 continues as a global pinnacle is if it can entice manufacturers into the sport, which, evidently is only going to happen by making it more relevant.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
F1 season to begin in April in Melbourne. Latest start to a season since 1988.
Trying to spread the races out over 2 week gaps with China as 2nd race.

Shaneus

So it was Webber's accident in Brazil that stopped Alonso running for Porsche at Le Mans. Bummer.

Speaking of Webber, he lays down the truth in this interview: http://en.f1i.com/magazine/10320-mark-webber-i-want-f1-to-be-awesome-again.html
He lays down the truth in every interview.

Edit: I think people are thinking about it wrong in terms of tyres. Rather than force teams to have to use one of each compound, just let them use whatever the hell they want. Want to do a single stint on mediums? Fine, but you'll have to deal with the slower pace the whole time. Softs? Sure, but you're gonna have to pit three times.
I don't think degradation is the issue (or the main one). It's restricting teams' strategies.

This situation come across my mind.

Let's say:

A = driver 1st in championship standings
B = 2nd in standings
C = A's teammate (mathematically out for WDC)

It's 2nd to last race of the season with C's leading the race. On final lap however, C runs wide, enabling B to take 1st position. There are only two sectors left and the gap between C and A is over 15 seconds. If you're the team principal, would you instruct team order or not?

*If no team order were instructed, the gap between A and B would only be separated by 1 point.

Top Bottom