• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Mastah

Points expire after 12 months.

Remember how short nose was apparently silver bullet in unlocking potential in Red Bull chassis and bringing 5 tenths at least? Well:

"The last few races, we've had updates but, to be honest, they haven't really done anything for us," he said. "I don't think we all really know what we need right now, or where to find it. We're trying but we're not getting much in return.

"In a way we'll probably have to take a step back in terms of look somewhere else to see if there's something fundamental missing.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricciardo-sounds-off-over-red-bull-problems

if there's something fundamental missing

*cough* bendy front wing and flexible floor *cough*

Mastah

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 8h8 hours ago

People have been very patient with Honda so far, but F1 boss Yasuhisa Arai got a bit of a going over in the team's news conference this pm

Arai-san admitted he was "not satisfied and very sad" after a "tough" day. He promised a big step in "the next few races"

#believeinhonda

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Big step for Honda would be both cars finishing FPs and Qualifiers without their PUs going to the engine hell

Dilly

Banned
#believeinhonda

This is from the same guy who said they'd be on the podium in Silverstone, it makes him sound like he has no idea of what's going on.

Have McLaren-Honda really made any progress since Bahrain? They just spent 3 tokens on a reliabilty upgrade, only to have both cars out with technical problems in the beginning of the weekend.

They're a joke.

xrnzaaas

Anyone has a pic of kimi in the press?

iwvQZWR.jpg

Mastah

Have McLaren-Honda really made any progress since Bahrain? They just spent 3 tokens on a reliabilty upgrade, only to have both cars out with technical problems in the beginning of the weekend.

They're a joke.

Compared to others no, but as other teams progressed since then, yes.

Let's see what upgrades for Austria and post race test will bring, because if they can find 5 tenths, that's both Red Bull teams overtaken and Q3 absolutely possible, which would be quite good.

But yeah, for now it's still reliability problems and being painfully slow on straights :/

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be interesting to see how true Mercedes race pace looks like

Vettel will pray for as many safety cars as possible. If his MGU-H issue can be fixed

Ark

Re Honda, I believe that they won't be anywhere near any other engine anytime. Period. If the rules are relaxed then maybe they will have a chance

They'll be up the front in no time. If not this year, then definitely next year after testing & the winter break. I wouldn't be surprised to see them up there after the summer break tbh.

Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

TCRS

Banned
Who's the one partying?

That's Lewis Hamilton and Kendall Jenner I think? He was partying with her and some other models on a yacht after the Monaco race:

TRIvWG3.jpg

dw5whJ6.jpg

her she is wearing his golden chain:

J4zobCZ.jpg

lots more pictures on daily fail including hamilton being a douche and swimming with his cap on.

and now he is on keeping up with the kardashians. he is really trying everything to establish himself in american pop culture lol.

Fox Mulder

They'll be up the front in no time. If not this year, then definitely next year after testing & the winter break. I wouldn't be surprised to see them up there after the summer break tbh.

I'd think they need a second team for better data with limits on testing. Even shit Renault has two.

Juicy Bob

At what point do we say that McLaren are officially no longer a top team in Formula 1?

They haven't won a race in almost three years. They've had one (double) podium in the last two and a half years. They've won one single drivers' championship in this century and haven't won a single constructors' championship since 1998.

No wonder no one is prepared to pay the excessive amounts of money Ron Dennis is demanding to become a title sponsor for the team.

kharma45

At what point do we say that McLaren are officially no longer a top team in Formula 1?

They haven't won a race in almost three years. They've had one (double) podium in the last two and a half years. They've won one single drivers' championship in this century and haven't won a single constructors' championship since 1998.

No wonder no one is prepared to pay the excessive amounts of money Ron Dennis is demanding to become a title sponsor for the team.

I haven't considered them to be one for quite a while.

Ark

Given that they haven't had a title-winning car since 2008, it's been quite a while. It depends on whether you classify a top team as a team that wins championships, or races. If you go by championships, Renault is more of a top team than McLaren has been over the last 15 years :lol

Right now I consider them a top team going through a turbulent period. They've sailed the storm and they're on the way up now. It's only a matter of time before McLaren gets back to the front.

Zeknurn

You should send that question to AskCrofty and watch the whole Sky F1 crew be in denial.

Even if the engine performs some magic U-turn I imagine their other development programs have suffered horribly during the current season. You can't possibly develop the aero etc when your car can't seem to stay on the road for more than a few dozen laps at a time.

Tubie

What happens if the Honda engine is still a pile of shit next season?

If I remember correctly, the rules allow for less and less changes to PUs for the next couple of seasons, so McLaren could potentially be stuck with that piece of shit for a few years.

xrnzaaas

What happens when the Honda engine is still a pile of shit next season?

Corrected that for you. ;) My guess is they keep struggling. They're too proud right now to lower the requirements for the main sponsor so I don't see them canceling the deal with Honda and trying to beg Mercedes to give them their engines again.

Fox Mulder

What happens if the Honda engine is still a pile of shit next season?

If I remember correctly, the rules allow for less and less changes to PUs for the next couple of seasons, so McLaren could potentially be stuck with that piece of shit for a few years.

they sucked with merc engines the last few years anyways.

Kyougar

Given that they haven't had a title-winning car since 2008, it's been quite a while. It depends on whether you classify a top team as a team that wins championships, or races. If you go by championships, Renault is more of a top team than McLaren has been over the last 15 years :lol

Right now I consider them a top team going through a turbulent period. They've sailed the storm and they're on the way up now. It's only a matter of time before McLaren gets back to the front.

A team is making progress throughout the year, News at 11.
How can you say that they get back to the front when the last full years it tells us another Story?
If it was easy to upgrade your car to get better, why isnt ferrari and Red Bull doing it with more money in their hand?
YES! McLaren is in a better position since the start of the Season. They DID make several steps forward. But thats because they were completely in the gutter. Its easier to find one or two seconds when you are 4 seconds behind. But they will not catch Ferrari or Mercedes. Red Bull and Williams are also hard nuts to crack. They will not get into a position to fight these teams this season and probably also not the next.

Ark

A team is making progress throughout the year, News at 11.
How can you say that they get back to the front when the last full years it tells us another Story?
If it was easy to upgrade your car to get better, why isnt ferrari and Red Bull doing it with more money in their hand?
YES! McLaren is in a better position since the start of the Season. They DID make several steps forward. But thats because they were completely in the gutter. Its easier to find one or two seconds when you are 4 seconds behind. But they will not catch Ferrari or Mercedes. Red Bull and Williams are also hard nuts to crack. They will not get into a position to fight these teams this season and probably also not the next.

For exactly the same reason I always said Mercedes would be a top team in F1, right from mid-2010, because I'm not being blind.

Whitmarsh is gone, they have two great drivers, they have Prodromou (I've seen rumours saying they have the 2nd/3rd best chassis on the grid. I know, rumours, but since we don't have any actual data to use it's the best we've got), they're a works team again and they don't have ailing sponsorship any more. Mclaren isn't short of money, so sponsorship isn't an issue. Everything on the McLaren side of things looks to be working at it's best, it's just the Honda side that isn't.

It's not easy for a team to catch up during the year but it's entirely possible and it's happened several times in this era of aero regs. McLaren in '09, RBR in '09, Ferrari in '10, McLaren in '11, McLaren in '12. If Honda can get their shit sorted out we could definitely see McLaren break the top five on pure pace by the end of the season, look at how competitive they were at Monaco compared to the rest of their season. Yeah okay, this season is a serious stretch and involves a lot of 'ifs', but if Ferrari can do it then there isn't any reason why McLaren-Honda can't do it either.

DD

It seems that the Baku race is in serious danger. The Bancpain Series finale was rescheduled to Zandvoort due financial problems. If it's hard for them to host a GT race, the F1 one is probably gone too.

Mastah

Mattzel89 ‏@Mattzel89 3m3 minutes ago

Speaking of the RedBull Ring - apparently only 45000 tickets have been sold so far for the GP in two weeks.Remember the big crowd last year?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Austrian GP stuff.
No wonder, prices are insane (capacity is 80.000). Cheapest is 119 €, main stand is around 500 €. I wanted to go this year (I live around 160 km away), but those prices made me change my mind

Top Bottom