• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

John_B

See post #4000 with the addition of stop being so fucking stupid.
This was sorta my response to your post. I think most about Hamilton in the context of F1 has nothing to do with race. We bust the balls of Hammer the same way we bust the balls of all the drivers, it's all in good fun. Still, and not referring to this board, I do come across the same type of comments (hence the "sometimes") that carries a distinct negative tone referring to the exact same things: hip-hop music, company, attire.

I'm not arguing some point. This is merely my impression.

This was sorta my response to your post. I think most about Hamilton in the context of F1 has nothing to do with race. We bust the balls of Hammer the same way we bust the balls of all the drivers, it's all in good fun. Still, and not referring to this board, I do come across the same type of comments (hence the "sometimes") that carries a distinct negative tone referring to the exact same things: hip-hop music, company, attire.

I'm not arguing some point. This is merely my impression.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, I myself take the piss out of Ham's style, he needs to get over his hair.

Unlike me - and gaf in general, a lot of F1 fans really go nuts over Hamilton's clothes, jewellery, girlfriend and the fact that he like to make music.

There is definitely a racist element in there.

Business

Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif

Hammer24

Banned
I wasn't even part of the site then, but I wouldn't mind reading that discussion if you could link me to it, you guys have some rather interesting debates.

I´m not sure when it was exactly, maybe read through the old OT´s when you got some spare time? Skip the race day Posts... ;-))

I thought Fry/Brawn made the initial approach like in early 2012 (I think it was mentioned that they met in Stevenage or either at Brawn's or Fry's and that's when they planted the seeds) and Lauda was brought in for the kill in Singapore once it was clear that he was unlikely to re-sign?

LOI was signed in Canada, AFAIK all Niki´s doing.

Edit: When I heard about it, it had already been a done deal.

I´m not sure when it was exactly, maybe read through the old OT´s when you got some spare time? Skip the race day Posts... ;-))
Currently looking at the 2012 OP...this thing is Godly, Leunam was doing God's work with these things. Why did the 2012 season reach a second thread by Silverstone?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't know if this old news, but apparently Bianchi had signed a contract to drive for a bigger team right before the Suzuka GP, guess which team it was ?

Hard to say. Either this post...

Colin Kolles said that Jules Bianchi signed a contract with Sauber hours before his accident. Are you f*ckin' kiddin' me?!

...is about the same news story, or Sauber gave Bianchi two contracts. Both is equally plausible.

frontieruk

Hard to say. Either this post...

...is about the same news story, or Sauber gave Bianchi two contracts. Both is equally plausible.

Oh comon its not like Sauber would cockup something like contracts, they'd be dragged through the courts and become the laughing stock of f1...

John_B

I got the 2015 season review in the mail. The Blu-ray video quality is quite a jump compared to the HD broadcasting stream. This makes me pretty excited for 4K broadcasting. F1 was pretty late to HD, so I wonder if the expensive cameras would be able to handle 4K?

frontieruk

I got the 2015 season review in the mail. The Blu-ray video quality is quite a jump compared to the HD broadcasting stream. This makes me pretty excited for 4K broadcasting. F1 was pretty late to HD, so I wonder if the expensive cameras would be able to handle 4K?

Is because the broadcasters lower the bit rate to fit more HD channels into the bandwidth they have available, the BBC HD stream via freeview is so much sharper than the same steam over sky, it's a sad state of affairs, the same will happen with 4k ota streams, now multicast internet streams could be a different story, but having someone with the gumption to push it and get the providers on board is another story.

LOI was signed in Canada, AFAIK all Niki´s doing.

Edit: When I heard about it, it had already been a done deal.

Wow. Awesome. Do you know why Lauda was so keen to bring in Lewis? I remember him being very vocal against Lewis in 2011 ("he's gone mad", "'he's going to kill someone at some point", etc.)?

Wow. Awesome. Do you know why Lauda was so keen to bring in Lewis? I remember him being very vocal against Lewis in 2011 ("he's gone mad", "'he's going to kill someone at some point", etc.)?
This is why I'm so shocked that Lauda is his vocal cheerleader. I guess because he likes Lewis' racer mentality. He probably saw his potential and just wanted to make damn sure he didn't squander it with bringing his 2 dogs and Nicole to the races.
I almost said 3 dogs but self edited

Massa

Eh, the reason they have the license is because no one else wants it. Codemasters is not a company that would outbid anyone.

Ark

Just make the license open so that every racing sim under the sun that has Formula A or some other variant can stop dodging legal and just call it Formula 1.

No way in fuck will I be buying F1 2015 though. F1 2010 was the first and last Codies F1 game I buy. Project Cars will satisfy me.

Mastah

And what sprayed grid girl thinks about the incident?

The grid girl, Liu Siying, a 23-year-old who graduated from Shanghai Institute of Visual Art, told Shanghai Daily in an exclusive interview on Wednesday that she actually did not mind having been sprayed by the Briton.

“It lasted for only one or two seconds, and I did not think too much about it at all,” Liu said.

“I think some foreign media are more sensitive about the topic compared to local media,” Liu said. “I was just told by my employer to stand on the podium, and that’s what I did.”

http://english.sina.com/sports/p/2015/0415/801434.html

Mohonky

This is exactly what I'm talking about, I myself take the piss out of Ham's style, he needs to get over his hair.

Unlike me - and gaf in general, a lot of F1 fans really go nuts over Hamilton's clothes, jewellery, girlfriend and the fact that he like to make music.

There is definitely a racist element in there.

As a Hamilton fan, I don't even know what the fuck you're on about.

Hamilton is just a big personality is F1. He isn't straight down the line like a lot of drivers. He's not like a Vettel or Schumacher who is just a dry work horse whose all about the numbers. He expresses himself and his personality quite freely and whether he likes that or not, it will always draw comments and criticism, thats just how it works in the public eye and he does little to distance himself from it, which is why he is such a divisive character in the sport. His race has nothing to do with it.

The only reason anyone goes on about his GF is because A: she is a famous singer and celebrity and B: their on again off again relationship really screwed him in 2011 when he had no focus which is why people were questioning it again when it was off again at the start of thr season and wondering if Hamilton would lapse lile 2011, which thankfully he hasnt.

The only time race has been brought into it was when he brought it upon himself in 2011. It was a comment that wasn't necessary and it rubbed some people the wrong way.

Fox Mulder

Just make the license open so that every racing sim under the sun that has Formula A or some other variant can stop dodging legal and just call it Formula 1.

No way in fuck will I be buying F1 2015 though. F1 2010 was the first and last Codies F1 game I buy. Project Cars will satisfy me.

I'm fine with how a game like forza 5 or project cars does it. The official license is stupid expensive, they may just be better off getting a few tracks themselves and getting a couple cars or make fake ones for a part of s larger game.

Maybe it'll get better when Bernie is gone.

Hammer24

Banned

You have to see the situation @ MER at the time.
Brawn was more or less already on his way out, for MSC, basically his guy, the writing was on the wall as well.
So they needed to take steps to look for a replacement. It needed to be top talent, but also a non-questions-asked team player. MER will always be a team first, drivers distant second team.
That job fell to Niki. Like I said, Brawn didn´t have the backing from Stuttgart anymore, and Niki had this advisory role. He was basically an outsider to the inner workings at the team, which Stuttgart wanted to shake up anyways. So the dude for the future had to look for the dude for the future.
When you look of the driver lineup then and their contractual situations, HAM was the immediate best candidate to fill the bill. That was a decision basically factual and void of emotional involvement.
MSC was pondering if he wanted to extend his contract, and for how long. Brawn told him he could take all the time in the world he thinks he needs.
Niki started talking to HAM. His sell was basically "you want to be a true champion, you gotta win with different teams, otherwise everybody will say it only was the car". He only wanted to try for the possibility, so they had an alternative for whenever MSC would retire for good.
But the MER team got restless the more time went without MSC making a decision. So basically Stuttgart pulled the plug, and the sales pitch went from "you can come whenever MSc retires" to "the seat is yours if you say yes". Which is a nice incentive in itself, isn´t it? How often do you have the chance to "steal" the seat of a legend like MSC?
Well, and in all the time they were talking together, they developed this strong relationship, which I would say is pretty much a father-son relationship. With a stern father, and a son very willing to learn. Which has worked out pretty awesome thus far, I´d say.

Brawn was more or less already on his way out, for MSC, basically his guy, the writing was on the wall as well.
So they needed to take steps to look for a replacement. It needed to be top talent, but also a non-questions-asked team player. MER will always be a team first, drivers distant second team.
That job fell to Niki. Like I said, Brawn didn´t have the backing from Stuttgart anymore, and Niki had this advisory role. He was basically an outsider to the inner workings at the team, which Stuttgart wanted to shake up anyways. So the dude for the future had to look for the dude for the future.
When you look of the driver lineup then and their contractual situations, HAM was the immediate best candidate to fill the bill. That was a decision basically factual and void of emotional involvement.
MSC was pondering if he wanted to extend his contract, and for how long. Brawn told him he could take all the time in the world he thinks he needs.
Niki started talking to HAM. His sell was basically "you want to be a true champion, you gotta win with different teams, otherwise everybody will say it only was the car". He only wanted to try for the possibility, so they had an alternative for whenever MSC would retire for good.
But the MER team got restless the more time went without MSC making a decision. So basically Stuttgart pulled the plug, and the sales pitch went from "you can come whenever MSc retires" to "the seat is yours if you say yes". Which is a nice incentive in itself, isn´t it? How often do you have the chance to "steal" the seat of a legend like MSC?
Well, and in all the time they were talking together, they developed this strong relationship, which I would say is pretty much a father-son relationship. With a stern father, and a son very willing to learn. Which has worked out pretty awesome thus far, I´d say.
I guess the fact that Hamilton has always been a Mercedes man is just icing on the cake.

Awesome. Thanks for the background. It does appear, though, that the team may not (internally) rate Nico as well as it does Lewis. Do you think the contract renewal with Lewis is a done deal, or do you reckon that there is interest from other teams (Ferrari, McLaren)? Also, is that still a 3+2 contract? IMO, if I were Lewis I would have opted for less money but more flexibility on the duration (2+1 / 1+1)... there is a strong possibility that Ferrari becomes the team to beat from 2016 onwards.

This week's midweek report on Sky... and Windsor on record saying he still thinks that Nico will win the title. Clearly possible, but it's looking increasingly unlikely based on their respective forms and also Ferrari's resurgence.

Hammer24

Banned
It does appear, though, that the team may not (internally) rate Nico as well as it does Lewis.

That is absolutely not the case.

Do you think the contract renewal with Lewis is a done deal, or do you reckon that there is interest from other teams (Ferrari, McLaren)?

There is always interest from other teams, faked and real. And I still think its a done deal.

there is a strong possibility that Ferrari becomes the team to beat from 2016 onwards.

Over time teams will get closer to each other (as long as they don´t shake up the tech rules again). I do not see one team running away under constant rules.
Of course, every single driver dreams of driving for FER one day - but this has nothing to do with their competitiveness.

This week's midweek report on Sky... and Windsor on record saying he still thinks that Nico will win the title. Clearly possible, but it's looking increasingly unlikely based on their respective forms and also Ferrari's resurgence.

Its a long season, but its IMO very unlikely, as I don´t see ROS personal situation improve much before July.

That is absolutely not the case.

There is always interest from other teams, faked and real. And I still think its a done deal.

Over time teams will get closer to each other (as long as they don´t shake up the tech rules again). I do not see one team running away under constant rules.
Of course, every single driver dreams of driving for FER one day - but this has nothing to do with their competitiveness.

Its a long season, but its IMO very unlikely, as I don´t see ROS personal situation improve much before July.

I got the impression that Hamilton didn't really have that much interest. At least not compared to someone like Vettel.

Hammer24

Banned
I got the impression that Hamilton didn't really have that much interest. At least not compared to someone like Vettel.

Well, much of this "interest" is usually "fake interest" teams only show to destroy the peace in another team.
I guess, there is not much unrest to be sowed into MER right now, and HAMs deal is basically seen as a done thing.
Remember VET on the other hand, where there were already some fault lines to be seen, and his LOI with FER wasn´t exactly new news either.

Top Bottom