• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Fox Mulder

Trolololo.

If he wanted to get by he could've tried...

Lmao.

I had went off Lewis as I was sick of his Drama Queen bullshit but I'm starting to like this Lewis.

I like this lewis. He's the best driver in the best car and it was beyond annoying to see him cry and pout as much as he did last year. The championship was really only as close at is was because of unfortunate technical issues and the threat of stupid ass double points.

Trolololo.

Lmao.

I had went off Lewis as I was sick of his Drama Queen bullshit but I'm starting to like this Lewis.

Get gud Rosberg.

Was anyone else in absolute stitches at the Stewards trying to get Max's car off the track? Must've crashed it more times than Maldonaldo so far this season...
Rosberg knows even if he tried to get by Hamilton that Lewis would've hung his ass out to dry any way. I'm honestly not sure which is more embarrassing. Getting laughed at on track or getting laughed at in a press conference. Only thing missing from the marshals getting the car through the gate was some Benny Hill music.
11130138_567297130076615_139151142435748958_n.jpg

Lol damn.

Ark

I like this lewis. He's the best driver in the best car and it was beyond annoying to see him cry and pout as much as he did last year. The championship was really only as close at is was because of unfortunate technical issues and the threat of stupid ass double points.

It's quite incredible how focused he's been since Spa. He just turned it on to maximum and, so far, hasn't wavered.

I wonder if Bahrain this year will turn out anything like the incredible race we had last season or if we'll get the usual sandy snooze-fest. We just need di Montezemolo to talk about taxi cabs.

olore

It's quite incredible how focused he's been since Spa. He just turned it on to maximum and, so far, hasn't wavered.

I´m a big fan of his, but we´ll see how he deals with the difficult stuff which will rear it´s head sooner or later. AKA It´s easy when it´s easy

Can we please not post pictures of incidents or links to incidents without description? At least not where people obviously come to harm. Dumping that stuff in here without warning or anything is not cool. Not everyone is interested in seeing something like that and I certainly don't expect that in here, especially not when it isn't F1 related. The Nürburgring pictures were enough.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Can we please not post pictures of incidents or links to incidents without description? At least not where people obviously come to harm. Dumping that stuff in here without warning or anything is not cool. Not everyone is interested in seeing something like that and I certainly don't expect that in here, especially not when it isn't F1 related. The Nürburgring pictures were enough.

Relax, the guy is fine (stitches) and joking about it on facebook.
If it were really serious I'd not post pictures as to not shock the kiddies.

Chris R

Ouch, looked like I missed an eventful Indycar race.

ouc.gif

Race was such a farce. Doesn't help that Indy doesn't really do rain well. You can't race in the wet on ovals, so they only get a chance to do it in a handful of races, and the drivers don't really have much experience. There also isn't an inter spec tire, just wet and dry. Track conditions were fine on the line but as soon as you were offline puddles were everywhere and the lack of gravel pits didn't help if you went into the grass.

It also doesn't help that the person who hit the crew member is GP3 material at best.

Shaneus

REN has the worst drivability right now, which is mostly a software problem at the moment. The car simply doesn´t translate the gas pedal usage into expected results. And they don´t know why.
If it's mostly software, would a fix use up their tokens or are they only for physical changes in the engine?

Fox Mulder

“I just said to the [Mercedes] guys, if I was in second and I had the pace that I had today, I would have been pushing to be as close as possible and passing. That’s racing. They said maybe he [Rosberg] was just comfortable with second and I said well that’s the difference between us."

ice cold.

Massa

Trolololo.

Lmao.

Get gud Rosberg.

Was anyone else in absolute stitches at the Stewards trying to get Max's car off the track? Must've crashed it more times than Maldonaldo so far this season...

I think Rosberg's point is that trying to overtake Lewis would destroy his tires pretty fast. He needed Lewis to be faster so he could comfortably leave Vettel behind and secure 1-2 for Mercedes. It's the same thing Vettel told Ferrari when they asked if he could go faster, he said no as that would only destroy his tires.

It's unfortunate that F1 has to be raced with pit strategies but that's the reality of it. "get gud" and overtake someone on the same car in that track is not realistic.

FuturusX

I think Rosberg's point is that trying to overtake Lewis would destroy his tires pretty fast. He needed Lewis to be faster so he could comfortably leave Vettel behind and secure 1-2 for Mercedes. It's the same thing Vettel told Ferrari when they asked if he could go faster, he said no as that would only destroy his tires.

It's unfortunate that F1 has to be raced with pit strategies but that's the reality of it. "get gud" and overtake someone on the same car in that track is not realistic.

Perhaps...but you can bet your last dollar that Lewis would have gambled if the positions were reversed. Who dares wins...

“I just said to the [Mercedes] guys, if I was in second and I had the pace that I had today, I would have been pushing to be as close as possible and passing. That’s racing. They said maybe he [Rosberg] was just comfortable with second and I said well that’s the difference between us."

ice cold.

It's September and Hamilton has just won the Italian Grand Prix, with Rosberg second. Hamilton is understandably delighted, especially after the Spa episode, while Rosberg is happy to take the positives from finishing second.
Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg
Their old karting boss Dino Chiesa said Hamilton had more natural talent than Rosberg
Was it the same when they were kids? "Nico accepted finishing second in a race but Lewis always wanted to win," said Chiesa. "He didn't like to finish second. He was always fighting to win.
"Because Lewis knew he was the best, he wanted to be the best. For him to finish second in a race is really bad, he would be really upset. He would cry. That has happened many times, when he doesn't win."
-- http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30009435

So McLaren only ran with juiced up engine maps on Friday and then back to conservative settings for the rest of the weekend? I guess that explains why they were no where near Force India in the race after the long runs suggested otherwise, King Eric says they will use these aggressive maps in Bahrain, new car every race with new mechanical and aero pieces added, big step planned for Barcelona.

ERS running at 50% according to Hughes, so if the MGU-H is knackered and melts seals / wiring as it has been suggested, have Honda got enough tokens to redesign this part?

Twatter says McLaren will change livery at Barca.

Silly Jense :(

imagegwogh.jpg

lol, great photo. the on track fireworks can't be far off...

Did Nico get his trophy or did he bin it?

84VEp1E.png
Goddamn, Nico's face in those pictures. I feel pity for him, not contempt, as I did last year after Monaco and Montreal.

The press goes on about Nico's intelligence because he speaks multiple languages and from what I understand, couldve enrolled in some prestigious engineering program if he'd chosen to. He's a culturally sophisticated guy, no denying that and before last year's dirty tricks, he appeared to be the consummate gentleman driver. I feel that deep down, some of the old guard of F1, the legendary drivers, the old timer journalists, prefer it was him, not Lewis winning everything because Nico is culturally (and if we're being honest) racially like them.

Juicy Bob

I prefer Rosberg to Hamilton, but that's nothing to do with the fact I'm white and Hamilton's black. I love that Hamilton is unashamedly himself. It's a great thing that he's got a relatively unique character in the sport and no longer feels like he has to hide that side of him like he did when he was at McLaren.

I've always liked Rosberg since he set the fastest lap on his debut race in Bahrain 2006. He's always seemed likeable and he's also done his time in midfield cars. He was very loyal to Williams in his early days and he comfortably beat Michael Schumacher over three seasons at Mercedes (which he never really got the credit for, in my opinion).

People are quick to tell Rosberg to hurry up or that he's second-rate compared to Hamilton, but you have to stop for a second and think about how damn good Hamilton is at the moment. He's some of the greatest talents of all time and he's probably at the peak of his powers at the moment. There's not many drivers who'd be able to offer a real challenge to him, let alone beat him in qualifying like Rosberg did last year or in races.

Rosberg is the underdog of the two. I like underdogs and after Hamilton, rightly, won the title last year, I was really hoping that Rosberg would be able to go toe-to-toe with his team mate this year. Sadly though, it's not looking likely at the moment.

Hammer24

Banned
If it's mostly software, would a fix use up their tokens or are they only for physical changes in the engine?

No, tokens are for physical changes.

In other news: MER got two notifications regarding driver behavior that could end up in penalties in the future. a) HAM position on the grid at the start, where the front wheels were not fully in the box, and b) two fastest laps for HAM under double yellow.

My personal opinion regarding HAM latest statement - its a bit disingenuous. He knows full well, that as soon as ROS tried to get closer he ruined his front tyres. As long as MER is not able to sort those problems out, he´d be in the exact same bind if roles were reversed.

ice cold.

He's got a point.

Lewis wants to be first. Nico wants to be first but knows he can't beat Lewis so second is best for him.

tomtom94

In other news: MER got two notifications regarding driver behavior that could end up in penalties in the future. a) HAM position on the grid at the start, where the front wheels were not fully in the box, and b) two fastest laps for HAM under double yellow.

Considering Schumacher was punished heavily for the second of those a while ago (and, you know, the whole push on getting the drivers to slow down under yellow flags after Bianchi' scrash) I'm actually extremely disappointed if a warning to Mercedes is all that's going to happen, and I'm a pretty big Hamilton fan.

Aiii

So not worth it
I refuse to believe the Mercedes is build as such that the tires just explode after spending more than two laps driving somewhat closely behind another car.

Hammer24

Banned
Considering Schumacher was punished heavily for the second of those a while ago (and, you know, the whole push on getting the drivers to slow down under yellow flags after Bianchi' scrash) I'm actually extremely disappointed if a warning to Mercedes is all that's going to happen, and I'm a pretty big Hamilton fan.

The rules have been changed since then. Back in the days, only the time in the full sector has been looked at. Right now the timing sectors are divided in undersectors, and only the undersector where the yellow is waived is being looked at.
The expected behavior of the driver is to significantly slow in the yellowed undersector. The stewards look at the full telemetry data there. As far as I understand it, HAM did slow, but not significantly, he was basically driving on the same timing level as the laps before in said undersector.

I refuse to believe the Mercedes is build as such that the tires just explode after spending more than two laps driving somewhat closely behind another car.

They don´t explode, they grain heavily.

Oh for sure I understand what Nico was getting at, but the thing is, world champions, the guys who don't want to, but NEED to win will push for first place regardless.

He could've pushed Lewis and put him under pressure, maybe caused him to make a mistake and then won the race.

World champions will go all out to win. If it were me I'd have been fighting him with all I had to get that first place.

Back when I used to kart, anything worse than first is a failure. That's the way it is. That's the way it'll always be. Nobody cares about the guy who came second, the unlucky guy, whatever.

If you come second you don't matter and you're not as valuable to the team. Especially when your team-mate is the guy finishing ahead of you all the time.

Hammer24

Banned
He could've pushed Lewis and put him under pressure, maybe caused him to make a mistake and then won the race.

That would have been an exercise in futility. HAM was basically driving .5secs slower than he could all race long. He would easily have been able to conter every such try. All ROS would have accomplished were shot tyres, thus handing FER two podiums.

Does the engine turn into a Honda as well?

Come on, Nico is making excuses.

Believe what you want. I give up.

That would have been an exercise in futility. HAM was basically driving .5secs slower than he could all race long. He would easily have been able to conter every such try. All ROS would have accomplished were shot tyres, thus handing FER two podiums.

Believe what you want. I give up.

That's basically an admission that Rosberg can't overtake Hamilton in the same car. I don't recall Hamilton having that issue last season.

Zeknurn

I'll buy into this bet too. How are we going to define 'caught up' with Mercedes? A race win? A race win on pace rather than by circumstance? A pole & competitive race against Mercedes even if they don't win?

Roll on Sinagapore ;D

It's honestly can't think of a way to accurately define caught up when everything is based on circumstances. Perhaps when all the mentioned teams stop saying that Mercedes is out of their reach?

Or we could just let Hammer24 be the judge. I trust him to know when they have caught up.

jey_16

Banned
kind of sad really, these guys used to be great friends and now after everything that has been said, they probably can't even be in the same room

Rosberg better step up and win some races, its the only thing that might make this season some what competitive.

Kyougar

And mercedes doesnt want to get in a Situation where it seems that the sport is boring if their is no competition in their own team.
Many said, that last season wasnt boring because of the fight between Rosberg and Hamilton. But what about this year if Rosberg is mentally crushed and cant outdrive Hamilton on occasions?

Much as I want Vettel to get more wins, it isnt likely.

So are we going to have a boring Season without Rosberg going 110%?

Aiii

So not worth it
And mercedes doesnt want to get in a Situation where it seems that the sport is boring if their is no competition in their own team.
Many said, that last season wasnt boring because of the fight between Rosberg and Hamilton. But what about this year if Rosberg is mentally crushed and cant outdrive Hamilton on occasions?

Just put the camera on Max Verstappen and make sure the cars ahead of him are slow enough to put him in overtaking positions. Best season ever.

kind of sad really, these guys used to be great friends and now after everything that has been said, they probably can't even be in the same room

Rosberg better step up and win some races, its the only thing that might make this season some what competitive.
Blame Rosberg. Hamilton has been besting Rosberg since they were kids. 2013 gave Rosberg false hope and I doubt Monaco and Spa helped the matter. If Rosberg paid any sort of attention to Hamilton's career he would've expected the current outcome, even Keke knew that if Nico joined a team with Hamilton that he would get flattened. The only Hamilton team mate that Rosberg is better than is Kovalainen. Button doesn't have the qualifying speed of Rosberg but Button beats him in race craft and experience. Does anybody here think Nico would've raced Alonso as hard as Lewis in 2007?

Aiii

So not worth it
Until his engine blows each week.

Still more interesting than Hammy going through the motions. Will he or won't he make it to the end? Hell, you can even do a contest each race where people can bet on which lap he will exit on. Instant excitement.

Ark

The thing is, even if Rosberg finishes second in every race he still has a shot at the title. If Ferrari and Rosberg keep fighting over second place and Hamilton has no reliability issues, he might have the title wrapped up before the end of the season.

Provided Hamilton doesn't implode for no reason.

olore

ice cold.

haha oh wow, indeed cool as ice

DD

Colin Kolles said that Jules Bianchi signed a contract with Sauber hours before his accident. Are you f*ckin' kiddin' me?!

Lach

Colin Kolles said that Jules Bianchi signed a contract with Sauber hours before his accident. Are you f*ckin' kiddin' me?!

It's been known since November (though I don't think the "hours before" part is right). I mean it makes sense with Bianchi being a Ferrari Man (he also had the offer of being Ferrari reserver driver)

Hamilton trying to get Rosberg fired up is smart. I think Hamilton knows that people start to lose interest in your championships when they are uncontested processions. Vettel suffered the same exact thing (Schumacher to an even bigger extent). He was a star rookie, at Torro Rosso, then became a beast at RBR, but after a walk in the part title, everyone started to get tired of him and pretty much wrote off his last title with RBR as nothing but a passive pilot of a super dominant car.

Same thing will happen the Hamilton if Rosberg can't be arsed to even make it close. Last year was a great win for Hamilton, because he showed he was the better of the two when the pressure was on. If it becomes nothing but Hamilton parade laps by mid season,I don't think he will revel in the wins as much. He seems to be someone who does best when challenged. Edit: He also seems to be aware that it is good for the sport to have battles at the front.

kharma45

. I feel that deep down, some of the old guard of F1, the legendary drivers, the old timer journalists, prefer it was him, not Lewis winning everything because Nico is culturally (and if we're being honest) racially like them.

It's not often someone's username on here is perfectly apt. Why does it feel like everything on this forum feel like it's coming down to fucking race now? Jesus Christ.

Top Bottom