• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

It's not often someone's username on here is perfectly apt. Why does it feel like everything on this forum feel like it's coming down to fucking race now? Jesus Christ.

I made a similar post in reply (albeit mines was lets say more 'harshly worded') which unfortunately deleted itself when I edited my post for another reason.

It's getting incredibly tiring and I agree with your sentiment.

Besides for a start Lauda, Coulthard, Herbert, Hill to name a few all prefer Hamilton. Hell even Moss does.

The race card in this instance is a load of total and utter pathetic bullshit.

That would have been an exercise in futility. HAM was basically driving .5secs slower than he could all race long. He would easily have been able to conter every such try. All ROS would have accomplished were shot tyres, thus handing FER two podiums.

Potentially I agree.

However if Hamilton was in Rosbergs position, I believe (with the words from his own mouth) that he would've pushed Rosberg as he would've wanted to win.

Hamilton proved last season he could overtake Rosberg wheel to wheel in identical cars. He's done it all his life to him.

When was the last time Nico overtook Lewis and made it stick?

At this point it seems that Rosberg has thrown in the towel and believes he is second best.

The point I'm trying to make is that mentally they're different.

Mentally Lewis is a winner.
Mentally Nico is not.

That's where the difference between them lies

Risgroo

I feel that deep down, some of the old guard of F1, the legendary drivers, the old timer journalists, prefer it was him, not Lewis winning everything because Nico is culturally (and if we're being honest) racially like them.
theignoramus
Banned
(Today, 07:44 AM)
LO99NJw.gif

Hamilton's skin colour stopped being interesting about two corners into the Australian GP in 2007. Christ.

Hamilton is the best driver on the grid at the moment.
He's definitely one of the best at choosing where to drive. Maybe he can give Alonso some pointers. But I do agree with you. If it was a short coming during his earlier years then he's definitely addressed it. This Lewis would've have won in 2007 and 2010 easily I think. 2012 wasn't even his fault since McLaren lost their collective shit and forgot how to change tires or build a reliable car.

Ark

Honestly, since 2012 I've been of the opinion that Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso are all equally the best three drivers on the grid and trying to pick and choose between them for an order is entirely pointless.

They have all peaked now. If anything Alonso is only going to go downhill in terms of his peak from here, but Hamilton and Vettel are in the form of their lives and they are two of the best the sport has ever seen.

NHale

Not to the Spanish, apparently.

Are you really saying all Spanish are racist? Quite ironic because your post is a lot more racist since you are accusing an entire population for the actions of a couple of idiots masked as monkeys during a Barcelona test.

It's still Vettel-Lewis-Alonso to me. I always wondered if Kimi could be the 4th wheel but last year was a revealing moment about his legacy and made me wonder if Lotus actually had the best car on the paddock a couple of years ago considering how many times Kimi and Grosjean challenged Vettel.

Shaneus

Honestly, since 2012 I've been of the opinion that Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso are all equally the best three drivers on the grid and trying to pick and choose between them for an order is entirely pointless.

They have all peaked now. If anything Alonso is only going to go downhill in terms of his peak from here, but Hamilton and Vettel are in the form of their lives and they are two of the best the sport has ever seen.
I'd still argue that Alonso is (barely) at the top, or at least was. I think being dealt some harsh scenarios with the Ferrari POS last year and Honda this year will take its toll on his ability. Having seen what I've seen this year, I think Hamilton is at the top of his game and Vettel may still get better.

Do want to see Alonso driving a decent (F1) car before he moves on, though. He deserves at least one more good crack at the WDC.

From a pure driving standpoint, I think it's right to stack them all on top of each other now. Ten years from now, history won't be as kind to Alonso however. Vettel and Hamilton are going to end up with gigantic career numbers.

tomtom94

Are you really saying all Spanish are racist? Quite ironic because your post is a lot more racist since you are accusing an entire population for the actions of a couple of idiots masked as monkeys during a Barcelona test.

Lol what

There was racist abuse directed towards Hamilton at the Spanish GP two years in a row... that's not really something you can just ignore, is it?

LeBoef

It was also in the german Spiegel Online 2 Days ago.

And I would drop this whole debate here and then. It would only lead to Bans arguing about this.

i was pissed reading the "news" at spiegel.
what pisses me off, is that they re just talking about hamilton and jumping on that yellow press train.

i dont know if its right or wrong to squirt the ladies with champagne and dont have a problem about a serious discussion regarding this. but please, dont talk exclusively about hamilton. mention other f1 drivers, moto gps guys, wrc, wec, ...

Hammer24

Banned
The point I'm trying to make is that mentally they're different.

Mentally Lewis is a winner.
Mentally Nico is not.

That's where the difference between them lies

I would say that's a fact right now.
We talked a lot last year about how Niki helped HAM find his focus, and he hasn´t lost it since. Right now he´s a shining example for determination.
And right now Nico isn´t, but I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack at the moment, with his personal problems. I´m crossing my fingers for him and his family.

Jibbed

You might call it bad luck, but it's no coincidence that Maldonado has retired from all 3 races so far this year via incidents.

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, consistently, is a special skill.

We talked a lot last year about how Niki helped HAM find his focus, and he hasn´t lost it since. Right now he´s a shining example for determination.
And right now Nico isn´t, but I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack at the moment, with his personal problems. I´m crossing my fingers for him and his family.

That's been a fact since they first raced against each other, really.

Funny how people are willing to cut Rosberg slack because of personal issues, yet no one was willing to do the same with Lewis.

After some of the stuff Niki said about Hamilton in 2011 did anybody expect him to be his biggest cheerleader? Kind of makes you wonder where McLaren messed up in their managing of Hamilton.

Ark

Actually yes. He was the one who got him to MER, and coached him up to get to his full potential. I remember we talked about this at length here.

How have you not learned yet? The Hamilton cycle repeats every so often. So many people still see him as 2007-Hamilton rather than who he is now.

Aiii

So not worth it
How does Lauda see Rosberg and who's backing Rosberg in the same way at Mercedes?

He probably sees Nico as most of us do, a good 2nd driver.

Lets face it, he appears to be a driver that can beat Hamilton one-on-one when Hamilton is not 100%, but he doesn't seem to be on par with him in any other situation.

And as far as a top-team goes, I'd say the ideal situation is where you have your top driver and a good 2nd driver to back him up. Worked well for Red Bull and Ferrari and most times when you put two top drivers next to each other you end up with infighting and bs (Senna and Prost, Alonso and Hamilton), just doesn't work as well.

Now if only Nico realised this, perhaps he wouldn't be so bitter after the race. :D

He probably sees Nico as most of us do, a good 2nd driver.

Lets face it, he appears to be a driver that can beat Hamilton one-on-one when Hamilton is not 100%, but he doesn't seem to be on par with him in any other situation.

And as far as a top-team goes, I'd say the ideal situation is where you have your top driver and a good 2nd driver to back him up. Worked well for Red Bull and Ferrari and most times when you put two top drivers next to each other you end up with infighting and bs (Senna and Prost, Alonso and Hamilton), just doesn't work as well.

Now if only Nico realised this, perhaps he wouldn't be so bitter after the race. :D

I don't think there's anything to face, really. I never really saw Rosberg as more than above average. It's not even fun to see him race, like it happens with some other drivers, who are below top tier.

Hammer24

Banned
How does Lauda see Rosberg and who's backing Rosberg in the same way at Mercedes?

I would say that he holds him in very high regard, but without the personal relationship he enjoys with HAM.
You guys shouldn´t forget that ROS is basically MER, he´s been there from day 1 and gone through everything there was. Everyone wrote him off when MSC joined, and look how that played out.
I dunno, maybe his dad, being his closest advisor, should be more integrated with the team, so he could give more detailed advise.

How have you not learned yet? The Hamilton cycle repeats every so often. So many people still see him as 2007-Hamilton rather than who he is now.
I definitely don't see him as 2007 Hamilton I didn't exactly see him from the very beginning, didn't really start watching consistently till about 09, but he's changed a lot over the years and in very good ways as well. From how he comes off in interviews and his approach to racing has matured a lot over the years. It seems like being partnered with some of his team mates and learning how to deal with some of them, on top of Mercedes not breaking his balls over every little thing like McLaren did really freed up his personality. I kind of wish he could've maintained his friendship with Rosberg, but it takes two people to fuck up a relationship so it's not even remotely all on him.
Actually yes. He was the one who got him to MER, and coached him up to get to his full potential. I remember we talked about this at length here.
I wasn't even part of the site then, but I wouldn't mind reading that discussion if you could link me to it, you guys have some rather interesting debates.
Lauda probably sees Nico as the Ricardo Patrese to Hamilton's Mansell.

I thought Fry/Brawn made the initial approach like in early 2012 (I think it was mentioned that they met in Stevenage or either at Brawn's or Fry's and that's when they planted the seeds) and Lauda was brought in for the kill in Singapore once it was clear that he was unlikely to re-sign?

John_B

Rosberg has received a beating in this thread. I fear it will not be forgotten when he betters Hamilton.

I never got the impression that Hamilton was treated any differently inside the sport. It also seems like he recieves the most love from the fans. I have read a fair amount of dislike towards Hamilton for not presenting himself as, or doing things like an ordinary F1 driver. Sometimes it's hard not to get the impression that it relates to a disdain of black people and black culture.

Rosberg has received a beating in this thread. I fear it will not be forgotten when he betters Hamilton.

I never got the impression that Hamilton was treated any differently inside the sport. It also seems like he recieves the most love from the fans. I have read a fair amount of dislike towards Hamilton for not presenting himself as, or doing things like an ordinary F1 driver. Sometimes it's hard not to get the impression that it relates to a disdain of black people and black culture.

The Spanish Alonso fans back in 2007/08, the mocking of jewellery and "#blessed" online in quite obviously an indication of that.

As much as I'd like to see a more exciting title fight I don't think Nico will really beat Hamilton, a race here and there sure, but no one is suggesting he'll never win anything again.

kharma45

The Spanish Alonso fans back in 2007/08, the mocking of jewellery and "#blessed" online in quite obviously an indication of that.

See post #4000 with the addition of stop being so fucking stupid.

kharma45

We had this a while ago where anyone who mocked him for looking like a prat was called a racist. It was idiotic then and it is now.

TCRS

Banned
Hammer24 change your name to Hammer44.

and toplel at hamilton jewellery defense force. if you know anything about black people in the UK you would laugh as well. he looks like a total tool with that chain.

Top Bottom