• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Time to get a new tv. My old 42" 1080p Sharp aquos (tm) has so much fucking banding it is ruining my experience with shadow. I've put up with it with the ps2 version but got damn! Gonna make it 3d when I do.

alr1ghtstart said:
case says DTS & DD.

It's defaulting top PCM Multi-Channel of me now after going back in to the XMB options and selecting automatic. Ugh. If I have DD and DTS enabled it will always go to DD first.

Leshita said:
Linear PCM 5.1ch and 7.1 ch, Dolby Digital 5.1ch, and DTS Digital Surround 5.1ch more specifically. So it will be PCM only if you have 7.1 I guess.

Wouldn't it be for 5.1 too then.. :/

I only ask because my Sony surround sound claims every signal coming from my PS3 is PCM, even if it's actually DTS or DD.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Wouldn't it be for 5.1 too then.. :/

I only ask because my Sony surround sound claims every signal coming from my PS3 is PCM, even if it's actually DTS or DD.

Have you tried unchecking everything but DTS or DD in the XMB Sound Settings? I'm curious what it would display if haven't tried already.

Reveirg

I just finished my playthrough of Ico (first ever!). What a great game and a fantastic ending.

For some reason, the sound design and ending theme of the game were really reminiscent of Shadow Hearts. Most likely purely coincidental, but still worth noting.

Clunker

Picked mine up after a full 8 hour day at grad school, looking forward to an evening with a beer and some old friends. I haven't played Ico in at least 6 years, so I'll start with that one.

I was the lone preorder at my GameStop (would have used the NewEgg deal but I had store credit to burn). Pearls before swine. :/

Would keeping/turn off the full pixel setting while playing at 1080 simulate 720 performance-wise? Kind of annoying seeing the xmb a 720...

Makes the dynamic theme fill the screen though.

Oh... and thank Ueda-god for unobtrusive trophies.

evilhomer

Decided to play through ICO first since I haven't played it since it originally came out and wow does it look good. The animation is so impressive, especially on the shadow monsters every part of them is moving about its really quite something.

RedSwirl

The heck? I don't remember ever hearing Yorda call out to Ico or point out clues. Was that something they added in the PAL/JP releases? How does she even know his name?

Erigu

RedSwirl said:
The heck? I don't remember ever hearing calling out to Ico or even point out clues. Was that something they added in the PAL/JP releases?
Yeah, I believe they improved the AI, after the US version.

How's the brightness for everyone? I bumped it up all the way in game for Ico and kept it at default for Shadow.

Ico seems so dark at the start.......

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Playing Tales of Xillia but I'm super tempted to open the packaging for this game and play it. I'm going to be so backed up on games I need to play. This quarter just absolutely blows in terms of how many games are going to screw me.

Dr.Acula

Banned
RedSwirl said:
The heck? I don't remember ever hearing Yorda call out to Ico or point out clues. Was that something they added in the PAL/JP releases? How does she even know his name?

My copy's still in shipping.

I do remember in the original version Yorda kinda glancing around subtly at points of interest. I'd be a shame if they made her too take-charge.

hulot

SotC looks great, despite the pop-in. I know I replayed it on my 60GB PS3 but it feels fresher than ever. Excited about Ico though, haven't replayed that since it was released!

The whole collection so far is mindasplode. Im so glad I waited 10 years to play this. Seeing it now it still seems as though its ahead of the curve in some way. I think watching the video interviews beforehand and seeing how dedicated and passionate Uede-san & Co are just makes me more all the more invested into these games. I really havent experienced anything like this.

An-Det

Having never played Ico or SOTC before, Ico is fucking awesome so far. And I'm very impressed with it visually; the architecture and design is beautiful, and it looks great. The camera is a little wonky at times, and Yorda is a moron once in a while, but man is it engaging. Having to hold R1 to hold her hand, so simple yet it creates such a bond.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
An-Det said:
Having never played Ico or SOTC before, Ico is fucking awesome so far. And I'm very impressed with it visually; the architecture and design is beautiful, and it looks great. The camera is a little wonky at times, and Yorda is a moron once in a while, but man is it engaging. Having to hold R1 to hold her hand, so simple yet it creates such a bond.
inverse kinematics :D

ueda made animation cool...and mostly everyone else still completely whiffs

not really surprising. he was an animator.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Digital-Hero said:
It's defaulting top PCM Multi-Channel of me now after going back in to the XMB options and selecting automatic. Ugh. If I have DD and DTS enabled it will always go to DD first.
I'm just pleasantly surprised they did a 5.1 / 7.1 mix to begin with. None of these HD remakes so far had that.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Time to get a new tv. My old 42" 1080p Sharp aquos (tm) has so much fucking banding it is ruining my experience with shadow. I've put up with it with the ps2 version but got damn! Gonna make it 3d when I do.
Yeah, color banding is something they've apparently fixed in the SotC remake.

fna84 said:
What does the fill pixel option do in SotC?

If your TV isn't overscanned (overscanned basically means it crops the outside edge of the image) and you have it off, there will be black space around the image. Fill pixel will stretch the image to the edge.
BocoDragon said:
Any word if the Canadian version includes the reversible cover art?

Sadly nope and it has lame french and english on the same cover :(

There is a high res scan of the reversible art which Sony released but its a hassle to get it printed and cut out properly IMO.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3589/5793283846_542bdc1602_o.jpg

I had the game in the disc in the system and I just couldn't play it. I had started SOTC and the opening movie was playing and I started thinking about how I was sad after originally beating the game and just ejected the disc.

I'm just happy to have these games in HD :)

fna84 said:
What does the fill pixel option do in SotC?
Makes it fit the screen as far as I can tell. In 1080p, the game is slightly inset with a black border around the image. Turning the option on zooms it in, filling the screen. My question is if either option smoothed out the performance issues associated with 1080. I'm not cool with forcing the tv to 720.

Max

I am not Max
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: man they even added in some extra stuff after you beat ico
7:34 PM - Max: really
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: well in the original you cant understand what the person your guiding says at all
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: but after you beat the game you can
7:34 PM - Max: wow really
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: and it unlocks co op
7:34 PM - Max: WHAT?
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: yup its not like a huge thing
7:34 PM - Max: you's trollin'
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: but it makes it easier to play
7:34 PM - Kaelic Maltar: nope
7:35 PM - Max: thats weird
7:35 PM - Kaelic Maltar: yup
what is my friend talking about

bender

What time is it?
These games are so wonderful. I haven't played either game in the collection since their original release. I was planning to replay both around the time the HD collection got announced and decided to hold off and I'm glad I did. As corny as it sounds but holding Yorda's hand makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Top Bottom