• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Salaadin

ScOULaris said:
Some of them are so majestic (like #5 and #13) that I feel bad killing them, while others are so docile (#2 and #4) that I feel bad killing them. But there are definitely some (any of the aggressive ones) that are just asking to be killed, and that final blow is so satisfying when it comes.

I forget which number he is (6, maybe) that is in the sandy area
and he climbs around the walls, staring in at you and shooting that poison sand cloud at you. I wanted to kill him so bad.

I was actually creeped out by him. The way he scaled the walls and stared in at you. Ugh. Leave me alone!

Deified Data said:
Finished Ico last night. Can't manage to not cry at the end.

Yorda on the beach at the end always manages to shock me.
Its my favorite ending in any game.

anddo0

I didn't read up much on this collection since they're games I played before. However, I was unaware the version of ICO we got is the PAL version (which I've never played). Now I'm stuck in a room near
the waterfall
and can't make that stupid jump.

Salaadin said:
I forget which number he is (6, maybe) that is in the sandy area
and he climbs around the walls, staring in at you and shooting that poison sand cloud at you. I wanted to kill him so bad.

I was actually creeped out by him. The way he scaled the walls and stared in at you. Ugh. Leave me alone!

Its my favorite ending in any game.
I just walked the whole way - felt like running would ruin it. Took me like 10 minutes.

anddo0 said:
I didn't read up much on this collection since they're games I played before. However, I was unaware the version of ICO we got is the PAL version (which I've never played). Now I'm stuck in a room near
the waterfall
Which jump?

Salaadin

anddo0 said:
the waterfall

The timed jumped on the thing that bounces up an down? Press triangle just as it goes down. Ico should bend his legs right as it goes down and then get flung up with with

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
I guess by saying that it's shockingly shit.
The effort that goes into the HD Remasters I think is shit, that doesn't mean the games themselves are in any way shit. I think it's pretty embarrasing they couldn't get SotC running flawlessly at 1080p. Not RE4HD levels of embarrasing, but still embarrasing.

guys i'm having trouble, i'm in the room after the room where you get the
mace
and i'm completely lost. i've looked at walkthroughs and everything but can't seem to find a way to progress.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
matthewd49 said:
yeah i got that, i'm referring to the room after that where
there's a small river and a water wheel

jump on the boxes next to water wheel, then onto the wheel itself, then to the ledge. You literally have to time it perfectly though.

ScOULaris

alr1ghtstart said:
jump on the boxes next to water wheel, then onto the wheel itself, then to the ledge. You literally have to time it perfectly though.
Yeah, that part is a pain the ass. It was added to the PAL version. In the NTSC version, you just had to climb a ladder up to the gear above the water wheel.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I did that part last night and the lag after pulling yourself up and the millisecond you have to jump forward makes that part a pain. Probably took me 5 mins and 10 jumps.

anddo0

Salaadin said:
The timed jumped on the thing that bounces up an down? Press triangle just as it goes down. Ico should bend his legs right as it goes down and then get flung up with with

Thanks. It seems this entire area is different than the NTSC version.

alr1ghtstart said:
i figured this out 10 minutes after my post and have been trying but it is such a pain in the ass, it seems you need to be near perfect..

Played ICO last night for 30 mins to the first checkpoint, I really like it so far. Art direction is amazing and love the interaction b/w the boy and girl. Very curios to see how the story unfolds as there is not much known at this time.

Glad never played both these game before and am playing the superior version :)

do you guys have any advice for the part i'm stuck on? it seems that i can make it onto this wheel every 1 in 4 times or so but then having enough time to jump to the lever i need to seems almost impossible.

ScOULaris

matthewd49 said:
do you guys have any advice for the part i'm stuck on? it seems that i can make it onto this wheel every 1 in 4 times or so but then having enough time to jump to the lever i need to seems almost impossible.
Just gotta keep trying. The timing is really tight on that jump. Took me like 20 tries.

Muffdraul

matthewd49 said:

When you jump onto the water wheel, don't hesitate to see whether or not you made a successful jump and are standing on it. Just assume you made that jump, and press forward and the jump button pretty much simultaneously to make the second jump before falling off the wheel.

one85x

Try jumping away from the lever (back over the water wheel). I only tested it a couple of times before moving on, but you should land on one of the other platforms in a better position to jump toward the lever.

I've discovered that the true punishment for a game over in Ico is having to go and re-murder those shadow chaps with some cumbersome lumber flailing, not really enjoying these combat segments, everything else is going pretty good though. Still that's what I get for overestimating the fall distance endurance of our horned hero.
Not as amusing as my first death when I got knocked clean off a roof by a vicious uppercut.

As for SOTC, the battle with the 5th colossus is still breathtaking even after all this time, nothing quite like it.

StuBurns

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
I've discovered that the true punishment for a game over in Ico is having to go and re-murder those shadow chaps with some cumbersome lumber flailing, not really enjoying these combat segments, everything else is going pretty good though. Still that's what I get for overestimating the fall distance endurance of our horned hero.
Not as amusing as my first death when I got knocked clean off a roof by a vicious uppercut.

As for SOTC, the battle with the 5th colossus is still breathtaking even after all this time, nothing quite like it.
Quite a few times you don't need to fight, if you can get Yorda to a magic gate, she'll destroy the shadows.

Kato

God damn distribution is shit where I am at.

Free record shop - none received, will not get one.
Dixons - none received, will not get one.
Media Markt got 2 ... 2 ffs and maybe will get 2 more. Lol what a mess.

Ugh. The same shit happened with God of War collection I and II.

ScOULaris

StuBurns said:
Quite a few times you don't need to fight, if you can get Yorda to a magic gate, she'll destroy the shadows.
I probably skipped 80% of all the fights in the game doing this on my HD Collection playthrough. You'll DEFINITELY need to do that in order to get the 2-hour completion trophy. I still don't know how that's possible. Looking forward to someone posting their speedrun in that time or less.

StuBurns

Banned
ScOULaris said:
I probably skipped 80% of all the fights in the game doing this on my HD Collection playthrough. You'll DEFINITELY need to do that in order to get the 2-hour completion trophy. I still don't know how that's possible. Looking forward to someone posting their speedrun in that time or less.
Yeah, I'm not even going to bother trying that unless I can do it co-op so I don't have to worry about Yorda.

GQman2121

Banned
I've beaten Ico twice in the last 36 hours. The second time through I cleaned up most of the leftover trophies and finished in about three hours flat. Going to go for the two hour time soon before starting SoTC.

ScOULaris said:

I believe it's pretty easily accomplished with a human player controlling Yorda.

yay guys! i got through that part.

really awesome game so far, they did a really good job of creating this bond between yorda and ico that i haven't seen in any other game before, it really is amazing.

Bit-Bit

ScOULaris said:

Should be easier with the light saber. That's my plan anyways. Gonna go through the game two more times and see what my fastest time is. Then on my third try, actually go for it utilizing the save and reset method.

gunbo13

ScOULaris said:
Some of them are so majestic (like #5 and #13) that I feel bad killing them, while others are so docile (#2 and #4) that I feel bad killing them.
As I said before in another thread, the fault rests with the colossi. If they weren't so awesome, we wouldn't be so amped to kill them to see the next one.

Takuya

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Sometimes even when you think she' in danger, you can go off and do other things to save time.

ScOULaris

I decided to compile a list of some of Time Attack videos for you newbies to check out. These were all done by a player named JarrodMitchell, who used to set world record times and upload them to YouTube a few years back. Some of these runs have since been bested (only slightly), but Jarrod's videos were always the most impressive to me. Some of the tricks you see in these videos were pioneered by him, but others were adapted from the videos of other speedrunners.

Before you dive into Time Attack, yourselves, check out some of these videos for extremely helpful shortcuts. I'd love to see the speedrunning community spring back to life for SotC, since I think it has one of the best Time Attack modes in gaming.

1- (0:23:78) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9w7MPra8WY
2 - (1:06:51) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyE2HiaDI_I
3 -
4 - (0:45:39) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsqjC9cNaE
5 -
6 - (0:36:86) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPCNVYSM_Q
7- (0:58:84) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolquKlxEX0
8 - (1:01:40) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skan7LMTDB4
9 - (00:38:14) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4mtG7Yojc
10 - (00:37:67) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yASBZVUfSYQ
11 -
12 -
13 - (1:14:25) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V70QFyK-UI
14 -
15 - (0:53:43) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ooHVGmKSWI
16 - (1:41:59) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMqRUFPEaJk

If anyone finds good videos for the ones I am missing, please post them for me to add to the list. I am at work right now, so my video searching resources are limited.

Also, one more ProTip for the day: If you go up next to the corpse of a defeated colossus during a normal playthrough and press O, it will let you replay the fight in "Reminiscence Mode." This just let's you fight that same colossus again only with a film grain effect. Enjoy! :)

Edit: Here are three videos compiling all of the fastest recorded Time Attack runs, if you'd rather watch it that way:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZMyiKOpXI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8IVDddurh8
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXh4VBLniOc

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:

Yeah, but the majority of battles are unavoidable, at least for the first couple of hours I've played. I was really hoping that all this talk of Yorda killing everyone meant I had just overlooked that tactic when I played originally, but it's only been possible in a few encounters so far.

StuBurns

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yeah, but the majority of battles are unavoidable, at least for the first couple of hours I've played. I was really hoping that all this talk of Yorda killing everyone meant I had just overlooked that tactic when I played originally, but it's only been possible in a few encounters so far.
I don't think it's that long in. Once you get past the cart you can do it pretty often. It's certainly the majority of the encounters you can skip.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
I don't think it's that long in. Once you get past the cart you can do it pretty often. It's certainly the majority of the encounters you can skip.

I hope so. I'm counting! Just got the
sword
though so things should be less tedious in either case.

StuBurns

Banned
The fighting never bothered me, except one scene. Might have been a court yard. You've already played it if you have the sword. That one section is a little bit of a piss take I think.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to remember it being a grave yard of some sort, I could be mistaken.

StuBurns

Banned
ninjatrigg said:
Ugh, I was never a fan of time limits in games...

Especially games like these. They arent meant to be rushed through.
If you weren't meant to be aware of your time, it wouldn't tell you when you save.

ScOULaris

It should be common sense, but I forgot to mention that you shouldn't watch any of the videos that I posted above until you've beaten SotC. Or at least don't watch them for any colossi that you haven't seen yet. :p

Salaadin

FlashbladeGAF said:
he was probably thinking the same thing while you were trying to figure out how to shove a sword into his new blue tattoo

LOL!
So true. Never looked at it like that :p

StuBurns said:

I always felt the same way but I was told in another thread that what I was saying was "Factually untrue" so I started second guessing myself. Then I come into this thread and see other Ico players saying that a lot of the fights can be skipped. Im losing my mind!

The first thing I do when I enter an area is look for the magic door and run to it as soon as the enemies spawn. I really didnt find myself fighting all that much.

StuBurns said:
The fighting never bothered me, except one scene. Might have been a court yard. You've already played it if you have the sword. That one section is a little bit of a piss take I think.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to remember it being a grave yard of some sort, I could be mistaken.
Thats one of the first times you can use Yordas power to your advantage but its still a pain because the enemies appear right when you enter and you have a good run to the door. They also throw a lot of them at you there AND they appear ahead of you in the narrow paths you have to take to reach the door.

I think the East Gate spawn is annoying too only because you have to
drop your sword at that part and grab a stick to light some fires. The enemies spawn when you still have the stick so they all take more hits

EDIT: How is gamasutra with sales numbers? They have the ICO/SOTC Collection at number 1 for the past week.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...Colossus_Collection_Heads_Domestic_Charts.php

StuBurns

Banned
It's hard to really say if you can skip them most the time or not, because there isn't a fixed number of encounters. There is a minimum, but if you keep leaving Yorda they spawn to get her, you could in theory have hundreds of encounters, at which point you clearly can't skip the majority of them, so one could argue it is factually untrue, but in a realistic playthru I am pretty sure you can avoid most of them, at least in regards to the actual number of enemies, not the number of specific instances. There are lots of little examples of one or two guys on narrow bridges etc.

As for sales, I think it'll do well. The GoW Collection sold very well, I don't imagine this will do quite as well, but a million plus wouldn't be surprising at all.

Top Bottom