• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
It's hard to really say if you can skip them most the time or not, because there isn't a fixed number of encounters. There is a minimum, but if you keep leaving Yorda they spawn to get her, you could in theory have hundreds of encounters, at which point you clearly can't skip the majority of them, so one could argue it is factually untrue, but in a realistic playthru I am pretty sure you can avoid most of them, at least in regards to the actual number of enemies, not the number of specific instances. There are lots of little examples of one or two guys on narrow bridges etc.

I'm only counting mandatory encounters, for the record. I am aware that they come after her if you leave her, but I do have a question about that.

Will they always come after a set time limit if you leave her, or are there certain points in the game where you are supposed to leave her and they will never spawn no matter how long you take?

Or is it just that those points where you are supposed to leave her only have you away from her for a short time, not long enough to spawn enemies?

Salaadin

Im hoping it puts up good numbers. I love seeing Team Ico succeed.

I was surprised watching the bonus footage where they discuss the US ICO box art and Ueda says "It ended up selling well in the US so I guess the box art was the right decision". I always thought ICO was considered a flop.

ScOULaris

alr1ghtstart said:
I can't remember, but do my upgraded grip meter and health bar carry over to hard mode?
Nope, but they carry over to subsequent playthroughs after you beat it. So after you beat Hard Mode, it will carry over to the next time.

StuBurns

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm only counting mandatory encounters, for the record. I am aware that they come after her if you leave her, but I do have a question about that.

Will they always come after a set time limit if you leave her, or are there certain points in the game where you are supposed to leave her and they will never spawn no matter how long you take?

Or is it just that those points where you are supposed to leave her only have you away from her for a short time, not long enough to spawn enemies?
It seems to be if you physically can't keep her close, they won't bother you. There's one section for example (and you've already played it I believe), where you have to push a block out of a window to get her up, but you have to leave her off screen for a couple of minutes, and you can leave it running for ages and no one will touch her. If you just try to keep her with you, you'll almost never have an issue with her being dragged down.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
It seems to be if you physically can't keep her close, they won't bother you. There's one section for example (and you've already played it I believe), where you have to push a block out of a window to get her up, but you have to leave her off screen for a couple of minutes, and you can leave it running for ages and no one will touch her. If you just try to keep her with you, you'll almost never have an issue with her being dragged down.

Yeah, that's the section that got me wondering what the rules of abandonment were. Based on my ancient memories, the game doesn't really communicate very clearly when it's allowed and when it's not before you actually try leaving her.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yeah, that's the section that got me wondering what the rules of abandonment were. Based on my ancient memories, the game doesn't really communicate very clearly when it's allowed and when it's not before you actually try leaving her.

Yeah, that's what I feel too (playing it for the first time). At one point when I had to leave her (when
climbing up the walls of the water slide thingy
), I took too long to get back and she was taken. So I had to retry that section, and do it fast enough to get back in time. Then, when I later had to leave her for an extended period of time again, nothing of the sort happened. This game's "rules" are not always very clear.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Darkness said:
Playing SOTC for the first time. Feels like I'm fighting the camera and controls more then the big guys :(

inverted is normal and normal is inverted. check those first. Secondly, when on the horse, you're controlling his reigns, not steering him like in OOT.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Darkness said:
Playing SOTC for the first time. Feels like I'm fighting the camera and controls more then the big guys :(
Play with the settings. I increased the sensitivity and turned off the invert-stuff.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Grisby said:
Man, this puzzle in ICO,
piston jump thing
freaking blows. I don't remember it being in the original.

Yeah, I had some trouble with that. You need to
jump as the piston is going down - much earlier than you think.

Grisby said:
Man, this puzzle in ICO,
piston jump thing
freaking blows. I don't remember it being in the original.
PAL addition - it's new to US players. I didn't have so much trouble with that one. It was the
water wheel jump I had the most trouble with. Also, when you're working on the second half of the front gate, and you need to turn the dish to allign with the windows you just opened up, it took me a while to realize that it plays a chime when you have it properly alligned. I just eyeballed it the first time and figured it'd be fine. Spent about an hour running around trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Grisby

RoadHazard said:
Yeah, I had some trouble with that. You need to
jump as the piston is going down - much earlier than you think.
rbiWF.gif

Worked on the first goddamn try. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that. Also, I just read that this puzzle was in the euro version and not the NA one.

one85x

StuBurns said:
I've noticed that she'll be safe as long as she's in the same area as you. It's once you start transitioning between areas that the shadows will come after her. In the example you mentioned, although you're in a different part of the castle than her, you never actually transition between areas.

seady

I very rarely buy Limited Edition of games.
I even more rarely purchase any Import games.

But I bought the Limited Edition Japanese version of this game. Just because I love them so much. I don't think it's worth the price (just an artbook), but I went for it anyway.

3rdman

Darkness said:
I came to realize that the horse will usually steer himself around...simply point him in the general direction you want him to go and simply hold down "X". He'll maneuver around valleys and ravines without any problem. Trees are another matter though...

Yet another reason Gamestop is the worst ever. Get my copy, notice "hmm...it's slit open on the side, wonder why". Sure enough, someone went in and took the XMB theme voucher. I'm going back there to raise hell in a few minutes.

Trevelyan

Banned
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Yet another reason Gamestop is the worst ever. Get my copy, notice "hmm...it's slit open on the side, wonder why". Sure enough, someone went in and took the XMB theme voucher. I'm going back there to raise hell in a few minutes.
There is no voucher, it's all on the disc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Trevelyan said:
There is no voucher, it's all on the disc.
There's a voucher, EU-version

GQman2121

Banned
Does Ico have the best forced feedback design ever? No one really brings it up but its subtle usage is quite brilliant. For those of you who are currently playing, pay attention to it if you can.

Ico would be so much better if a guitar riff played every time you beat a puzzle. Also when Ico falls a long distance, it would be cool if the corners of the screen got splattered with blood for a few seconds.

StuBurns

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Ico would be so much better if a guitar riff played every time you beat a puzzle. Also when Ico falls a long distance, it would be cool if the corners of the screen got splattered with blood for a few seconds.
Playing it earlier, it was kind of strange seeing him drop great heights without strawberry jam destroying my screen.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
oh no shit, really? sweet. how do I access, if you don't mind me asking.

Gamestop's still the worst.
If you're in NA, it's found under the game on the xmb when you have the disc in. Or maybe under video? I forget.

Dunan

StuBurns said:
With jeans that tight you only have yourself to blame.

After buying ICO, it's certainly not money bulging out of them, that's for sure. ^_^;

Edit: And I have no idea what the spoiler is. Something to do with Colossus, which I haven't played? If it's something that a newcomer to the game can't understand, it can hardly be called a spoiler...

Gvaz

Banned
This doesn't look like it's displaying at 1080p but at 720...what do I do to make it output at 1080?

My monitor says its 1080 but it looks blurry

Beat the first dude in 11 minutes, wheres the lizards and shit like that to increase your health or grip or whatever

StuBurns

Banned
Gvaz said:
This doesn't look like it's displaying at 1080p but at 720...what do I do to make it output at 720?

My monitor says its 1080 but it looks blurry

Beat the first dude in 11 minutes, wheres the lizards and shit like that to increase your health or grip or whatever
On the XMB, go to Display Settings, go on HDMI (presumably), pick the one that isn't automatic, and deselect 1080i/p.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Gvaz said:
At shrines.....go exploring and you will come across them.

Gvaz said:
Wait, deselect? I want it to display in 1080p over my hdmi->dvi connection :(
You just asked how to display it at 720. Wires are crossed here.

Yoshichan

Never thought I'd ever read someone call colossi for "dudes"... completely disrespectful.

Top Bottom