• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nocturnowl said:
Can't be much more disrespectful than shoving a sword in their skulls though right?
:( I guess you're right... *sigh*

Gvaz

Banned
Hrm I deselected 1080i and 720p and it seems it didn't make a difference. The monitor is at 1080p but the in game xmb looks blurry :S

StuBurns

Banned
Gvaz said:
Er sorry, typo D:

I meant at max.
SotC is never 1920x1080. It's either 1280x720 or 960x1080. If you have 1080p selected, you're getting the latter, if you want to try 720p instead, follow the steps I posted.

Gvaz

Banned
StuBurns said:
It takes half the fillrate to do that, it makes perfect sense.
They should just release it on the PC then if the hardware can't handle the increased size while keeping the aspect ratio the same.

ICO looks phenomenal though, but this just makes me sad. Loving the framerate though.

StuBurns

Banned
Gvaz said:
They should just release it on the PC then if the hardware can't handle the increased size while keeping the aspect ratio the same.

ICO looks phenomenal though, but this just makes me sad. Loving the framerate though.
Very few Sony (or MS/Nintendo) games run at 1080p, I wouldn't hold your breath for PC versions of any of their major releases.

Muffdraul

Dunan said:
Was this worth the equivalent of $91?
Yes. Yes it was.

I've been kicking myself for weeks for failing to reserve a copy of that damn thing. After I saw your post I decided to check with Japan Video Games, even though I knew they wouldn't have it. I went to their website... and it said it was in stock. I figured it had to be a mistake, I called them up and sure enough, they said they have one left. It's a fuckin' Christmas miracle. I asked them if it was the Japanese version and not an Asian version and they kinda danced around the question, if it's Asian I don't want it. And it's a little more than what you paid. But they're holding it for me to pick up tonight.

Anyway I feel like I should thank you. =P

Gvaz said:

PS3 should've been able to do SOTC fine. They obviously had some technical challenges, they didn't even bother to fix any of the pop-in/render to texture things that had to be done on the PS2.

W1SSY

Just finished ICO for the first time and loved it. It took me 5:36 to finish it, which I feel is a good time but I do not know if I could get anywhere close to being under 2. Some of the platforming near the end of the game was annoying because I kept falling and felt like it wasn't my fault. Overall it was a great experience and I am glad that I got to play it. Now I get to start on SotC and I am looking forward to that a lot. I do have one question and that is how do you get the shining sword? I looked online and could not find any mention of it.

sublimit

Banned
Dunan said:
Was this worth the equivalent of $91?

Yes. Yes it was.

The artbook includes Ueda's sketches so yeah,it's worth it for me too.I just hope it will still be available two weeks from now.:/

Okay so what is all this talk about resolution and pixels and whatnot? I'm about to start SotC, what do I need to do for the game to look as good as possible?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
xtrasauce said:
Okay so what is all this talk about resolution and pixels and whatnot? I'm about to start SotC, what do I need to do for the game to look as good as possible?
Force your PS3 to start the game in 720p (through display options in the XMB).

Ico just went from "Wow this is really fun" to "Wow this is really not fun anymore and I want to snap this fucking disc and piss on it"

in the room after the waterfall where you are supposed to use the beam to make you jump higher, when the hell are you supposed to press jump??

Syn23

Finished ICO two times. Tomorrow I'll try to get last trophy to Platinum.

Then, I don't know. Should I immediately play Shadow, or wait and play another game before, to take a break, so later I will appreciate Ueda's little touches more?
What do you guys say?

sublimit

Banned
Syn23 said:
Finished ICO two times. Tomorrow I'll try to get last trophy to Platinum.

Then, I don't know. Should I immediately play Shadow, or wait and play another game before, to take a break, so later I will appreciate Ueda's little touches more?
What do you guys say?
As long as you don't feel burned go for it.But take your time with Shadow and don't make the trophies your goal.
That's just my personal advice though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I just finished ICO (for the first time), and while I thought it was great, I... I'm just not sure what I was supposed to get so emotional about. I mean, I've seen people here say that they literally cry over this game. Why...? Sure, I get that
you meet this girl and help her, and then at the end she kind of dies (?), but then you meet her again on the beach (?)
. Maybe I'm missing something (I'm sure I don't get the full implications of the story), but for comparison's sake I can just say that Flower was 10x more emotional for me.

BTW, it took me about 8 hours to finish (that's the time on my end-of-game save). Longer than I thought! But I made quite a few mistakes on my first time through, of course, so I'm not surprised that people say it can be finished in 5 hours.

KingHenrik30 said:
Ico just went from "Wow this is really fun" to "Wow this is really not fun anymore and I want to snap this fucking disc and piss on it"

in the room after the waterfall where you are supposed to use the beam to make you jump higher, when the hell are you supposed to press jump??
Earlier than you'd think. There's very little time between when it depresses and shoots up, and you want to jump right near the start of that depression. Once you're past that you can figure out the timing on the water wheel. ;D

Grisby

RoadHazard said:
So, I just finished ICO (for the first time), and while I thought it was great, I... I'm just not sure what I was supposed to get so emotional about. I mean, I've seen people here say that they literally cry over this game. Why...? Sure, I get that
you meet this girl and help her, and then at the end she kind of dies (?), but then you meet her again on the beach (?)
. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can just say that Flower was 10x more emotional for me.

I didn't really get emotional either. SOTC has a more powerful ending I thought.

Syn23

sublimit said:
don't make the trophies your goal.

You're totally right.
I had never played ICO before, so I did the first run through it taking my time and don't caring for trophies. I finished it in about 8 and a half hours, and today I've done a second run to see
the watermelon ending and understanding Yorda's words
and I got all the trophies but one.

I'll do the same thing with Shadow, in the first run I won't care for trophies.
(actually I do that for almost every game)

RoadHazard said:
. Maybe I'm missing something (I'm sure I don't get the full implications of the story), but for comparison's sake I can just say that Flower was 10x more emotional for me.

For me, the most emotional part was when
The two get separated at the bridge and the roles are reversed when Yorda has to help Ico up. And then the Queen steals her away just as they were about to escape together :'(
That was pretty powerful, IMO. The ending was sadder but that part got me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MrCookiepants said:
For me, the most emotional part was when
The two get separated at the bridge and the roles are reversed when Yorda has to help Ico up. And then Queen takes her away. All just as they were about to escape together :'(
That was pretty powerful, IMO. The ending was sadder but that part got me.

That was one of the most emotional parts, for sure, but... I don't know, maybe I was just too set on "oh shit, this is gonna be sad!" from reading such comments about the game, and then that didn't really happen for me.

When I played this many moons ago I never really hunted or killed lizards. Now that I'm aware it's helpful, I just killed two. Am I supposed to pick up their remains and is there any indication I should look for that I did it right?
I shot both with an arrow and they fell and melted away, I pressed R1 and I think I picked something up......maybe?

Syn23

RoadHazard said:
Yeah, I guess... I don't know, maybe I was just too set on "oh shit, this is gonna be sad!" from reading such comments about the game, and then that didn't really happen for me.

Did you notice that all the black "phantoms" that are controlled by the queen has horns, and therefore they probably were children like ICO?

Patapwn

Incitemaybe said:
When I played this many moons ago I never really hunted or killed lizards. Now that I'm aware it's helpful, I just killed two. Am I supposed to pick up their remains and is there any indication I should look for that I did it right?
I shot both with an arrow and they fell and melted away, I pressed R1 and I think I picked something up......maybe?

lol you want to kill the white tailed lizards near save shrines. You just a killa without purpose now

Yoshichan

Mzo said:
Black-tailed lizards. Pick up their tails, you can see your meter engorge, flush with your victory.
Silver-tailed lizards :) The black-tailed are common lizards and doesn't give you anything.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Syn23 said:
Did you notice that all the black "phantoms" that are controlled by the queen has horns, and therefore they probably were children like ICO?

Hmm, I think I did notice that, actually, but I didn't really think much about it. I did, however, sort of expect it to end with
ICO turning into one of those shadow beings
. That would have been pretty powerful.

BTW, what are you supposed to make of
the very ending, where Yorda shows up on the beach? Did she somehow survive? Is it even her? (Not sure how it could be anyone else and still have anything to do with the game's story.) She was turned into a shadow being and then died as the castle crumbled, right
?

RoadHazard said:
BTW, what are you supposed to make of
the very ending, where Yorda shows up on the beach? Did she somehow survive? Is it even her? (Not sure how it could be anyone else and still have anything to do with the game's story.) She was turned into a shadow being and then died as the castle crumbled, right
?

Ueda said that
one way to interrupt it is that it's Ico dreaming about seeing her again.

Paches

Beat my 6th Colossus. The 5th one,
the bird on the misty lake. I give it a HNNNNNNGH out of 10. Goddamn shit blew my mind when I was on its back as it soared majestically over the lake, until I stabbed it to death
I am loving this shit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RoadHazard said:
That was one of the most emotional parts, for sure, but... I don't know, maybe I was just too set on "oh shit, this is gonna be sad!" from reading such comments about the game, and then that didn't really happen for me.

It is completely normal not to be moved to tears by a video game. As long as you enjoyed your experience I wouldn't spend much energy trying to figure out why you didn't have a stronger emotional reaction. It's the people who did who had the more unusual experience and therefore something worthy of explanation.

Syn23

RoadHazard said:
Hmm, ok...

If you feel like reading a bit, I found this very interesting. It was posted on a previous page. Just skip to XIII. Final Retrospect. It's clearly only one of the possible interpretations, but it's the one that makes the most sense to me (there is a long and good pleading supporting that guy's view).

EDIT:Also, I've found a couple of Ueda's statement about the ending:
Regarding the ending, Ueda said that "I want to have a happy ending, but it's not sure that [Yorda] is alive, or if she'll stay with Ico, or if she wasn't a dream. I wanted a happy ending that was still a little bit vague." Source

1UP: In regards to the Japanese version of Ico, there is a scene after you've completed the game the second time, where Ico and Yorda are found on the beach scene eating watermelon. What the heck is that all about? And in the case of the ending of Ico, some people have said that finding Yorda on the beach or waking up on the beach is in fact the afterlife. I say that it's not, but the final words uttered by Yorda make me unsure of what to think in terms of the meaning of the ending. Can you clarify?
Ueda: About the watermelon - it's in just for fun. If you say "ocean," we say "watermelon." In Japan, the association of seaside and watermelon is very strong. And the animator came and said, I've made these watermelon-eating animations, so we said let's put them in! And we did. And then, the real climax is the final beach scene, seeing the sillhouette of Yorda; Some people wonder if it isn't a bit too much; but we embrace that too with Ico.
1UP: Yes, if there is a meaning, then - what is the meaning?
Ueda: If there is a meaning, then it's Ico's dream. It's over, and it's really over at that point, but in the ship Ico is dreaming. He wishes he could see Yorda one more time. I guess that's the real meaning.
1UP: So Ico "sees" Yorda because she wishes to see him. Not because she escaped from the castle and magically reappeared on the beach.
Ueda: Yes, that's one possible interpretation. Source

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It is completely normal not to be moved to tears by a video game. As long as you enjoyed your experience I wouldn't spend much energy trying to figure out why you didn't have a stronger emotional reaction. It's the people who did who had the more unusual experience and therefore something worthy of explanation.

I don't think Ico should necessarily make one weep or feel sad, to me it was something much more subtle than that. I do think that one should feel 'something' when playing the game though, especially upon completion, find it pretty hard to believe someone can feel no emotional response at all besides having 'fun' with the gameplay or feeling 'hate' towards the gameplay, unless perhaps you really are not an emotional person and see things only within objective logic. :p

Jaeyden

Ok. I loved SOTC. I actually played it for the first time 6 years ago as a PS2 DISK on the very same console I am now playing it in HD and 3D on. How's that for some kind of gaming fluffy marshmallow shit...lol? Yeah, 3d fucking rocks....and I couldn't ask for a better way to spend my weekend. Thanks Ueda...thanks Sony.

W1SSY

Syn23 said:
When I hit that point it was one of the first things I realized. After beating ICO I looked at wikipedia trying to figure out the story and that was one part they talked about.

Just started playing SotC and have already taken down 3 colossi. I am loving it so far. The challenge of climbing the colossus and then proceeding to maneuver around it to find the weak spot is great. I do not know how I went this long without playing this game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Need help in Ico:

I'm at the chandelier place, so the chandelier comes crashing down to the broken bridge. I've read that you need to put dynamite near the support and make it explode. How do you make it explode? I put the barrels near it, light up my stick but nothing happens when I go near the barrels.

ULTROS! said:
Need help in Ico:

I'm at the chandelier place, so the chandelier comes crashing down to the broken bridge. I've read that you need to put dynamite near the support and make it explode. How do you make it explode? I put the barrels near it, light up my stick but nothing happens when I go near the barrels.

You need to go outside and pick up one of the bombs (it's right at the entrance to the area you're referring to), return to that room and put it next to the support beam and then light the bomb.

No comments on quality... I really don't like ICO. I want wanted it to end so damn much. Few games have made me rage like this..it's weird. Moving on to the reason I got this collection. Again, it's not bad at all, I just hate it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
SolidSnakex said:
You need to go outside and pick up one of the bombs (it's right at the entrance to the area you're referring to), return to that room and put it next to the support beam and then light the bomb.

Thanks!

Top Bottom