• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Some interesting gaming tidbits from an Apple press release this morning.

-40 billion total unique app downloads (Was 35 at the end of October). $7 billion paid out to developers.
-DragonVale and Clash of Clans together have made more than $100 million. Crazy.
-75 million Temple Run downloads. Crazier.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Imperium Galactica 2 | $1.99, iPad is 50% off currently.

The initial release was a bit of a sloppy PC port job but they've fixed quite a number of bugs with recent updates. It's a very nice game if you're into 4X strategy space games.

mzl.jomzmeob.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.irysiddm.480x480-75.jpg

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
-DragonVale and Clash of Clans together have made more than $100 million. Crazy.
-75 million Temple Run downloads. Crazier.

Woo. My dragon farm is awesome, just got my sixth island. Leveling them all past 10 is going to be a pain in the ass though.

I have an iphone and a gaming pc, someone sell me on an ipad!

Thinking of getting one now that i'm done with college and probably gonna give my laptop to my bro.

okno

I have no idea what I'm doing or what the fucking is going on, but The Last Express is amazing.

I have been glued to my iPad Mini since I got it. This thing is just so lumping awesome. I keep switching out between Simpsons: Tapped Out, Fur Figthers, Vice City, The Last Express, and Bastion now :3 I love, love, love this thing so, so, so much.

If anyone wants to be Tapped Out friends, lemme know!

What is the general consensus on this title? It looks like something I'd love (missed the original when it came out) but I'm worried about the controls.

Unrelated: Are there any apps that allow you to drag and drop videos (.avi) onto your iDevice when it's connected through iTunes? The original VLC app did it but it doesn't allow you to ouptut video via AirPlay.

PFD

Unrelated: Are there any apps that allow you to drag and drop videos (.avi) onto your iDevice when it's connected through iTunes? The original VLC app did it but it doesn't allow you to ouptut video via AirPlay.

AVPlayerHD is what you're looking for.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What is the general consensus on this title? It looks like something I'd love (missed the original when it came out) but I'm worried about the controls.

It's amazing, I played it start to finish. It's very hard to get used to, but when you get used to the quirks it's great still. I was a first timer too and I loved it.

besiktas1

I feel dirty for saying this but I just finished my first ever hide and seek game (second iOS game to play till end) Dire Grove. I loved it :)
Can you recommend me any others?

Shady859

Thinking of getting one now that i'm done with college and probably gonna give my laptop to my bro.

My iPad mini has completely replaced my laptop other than downloading...

I have a iPhone and never thought I needed a iPad but got hooked into the release hype and bought one after playing around with it. I can't see myself without one now it's so convenient and all the iOS games are so much better versus the iPhone because of size. My time spent playing games has went way up since I got the mini. I see myself hooked and upgrading every year now lol.

Raiden Legacy is so damn amazing on the iCade, same with the Metal Slug games. Please Dotemu, bring us more!
I have that collection on 360, LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! I never could pull the trigger on iOS version though so many other games to play..

dyergram

I use vlcstreamer it's great plays 720p mkv files on my iPad or ATv very recommended. Streamtome uses iTunes playlists if you prefer but you need to convert to a appropriate format.

Koodo

Banned
Let me pop in right quick to say I've been enjoying Final Fantasy Tactics thoroughly. No crashes experienced so far. *KNOCKS ON WOOD*

I have a iPhone and never thought I needed a iPad but got hooked into the release hype and bought one after playing around with it. I can't see myself without one now it's so convenient and all the iOS games are so much better versus the iPhone because of size. My time spent playing games has went way up since I got the mini. I see myself hooked and upgrading every year now lol.

I have that collection on 360, LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! I never could pull the trigger on iOS version though so many other games to play..

are there any games that struggle on the mini? And yeah I don't play games on my iphone as often as i'd like mainly due to battery paranoia. You are pretty much dead these days if your phone is dead lol.

Korosenai

I am the same way.

I used to always use my laptop and phone. Now its all ipad.

What's the deal with the messages in Hundreds? Do they flip into something coherent if you wait long enough? Are you supposed to decode them somehow?

Also, are there any good score attack games that have come out recently? I remember there was one that was getting minor hype, I vaguely remember it being sushi themed but I can't quite recall.

Concept17

So having been downloading my first games for my new iphone, all of which average 10-60mb each, my Verizon account says I've only used .1 of my data usage? I figured between my wife and I we should have used at least half a gig this month, but I guess not?

Yeah I'm new to smartphones.

So having been downloading my first games for my new iphone, all of which average 10-60mb each, my Verizon account says I've only used .1 of my data usage? I figured between my wife and I we should have used at least half a gig this month, but I guess not?

What do you use them for? Unless you're doing a lot of video streaming and big downloads half a gig is a lot of data. If you're downloading small games like that and just surfing the web you'll never use that in a month.

PFD

Did you download them while connected to WiFi?

I bought Wild Blood during the $1 sale just to see what it would look like on an ipad 4, and god damn the game is pretty! And it's actually a fun hack n slasher too. Really enjoying it so far.

xJavonta

Banned

You probably do most of your data usage while connected to WiFi. That only tracks data usage from Verizon's network, not your local network.

raiot

Man... finally caved in and made an american itunes account just to play Puzzle&Dragons.
But I'm afraid i cant bring myself to buy gift cards for some iap. The fear that the savegame won't transfer to the europe version (if it is ever released) is just too big.
Does anyone know when it is released in europe or why its not released yet?

You think you don't need it, then you get it - between videos, quirky games, reading ebooks and magazines in full colour this will be your most used item in a long time.

I was skeptical like you, then I got an iPad - can't imagine going back to notebook anymore.

Tizoc

Could someone help me with this? Sonic the Hedgehog 1 runs slow on my iPhone 4S, dunno what's causing it, but every other game I got runs fine for the most part.

GeekyDad

Lttp on Burrito Bison. I tried the flash version a while back but didn't really give it much of a chance. Got bored and tried the iPhone version, and now that it's clicked, I can tell it's going to be one of those short-term addictions. Was playing it all night last night. They seem to have struck the perfect balance in terms of doling out enough money to buy upgrades.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Lttp on Burrito Bison. I tried the flash version a while back but didn't really give it much of a chance. Got bored and tried the iPhone version, and now that it's clicked, I can tell it's going to be one of those short-term addictions. Was playing it all night last night. They seem to have struck the perfect balance in terms of doling out enough money to buy upgrades.
Yeah. I had fun for a day or two. Fun distraction , but once you break through the final wall there isn't really anything to do.

What's the deal with the messages in Hundreds? Do they flip into something coherent if you wait long enough? Are you supposed to decode them somehow?

Also, are there any good score attack games that have come out recently? I remember there was one that was getting minor hype, I vaguely remember it being sushi themed but I can't quite recall.
Each message can be revisited by tapping the circle in the center of the main menu. There is also a solution to each. Don't spoil yourself if you can manage, but here are a few hints based on the ones I've solved. I can provide more help if necessary:
is a riddle
is essentially a set of anagrams
uses a Caesar shift
uses transposition
uses substitution
is a Vigenere

heringer

The Conduit (Wii game) might be coming to iOS. Well, apparently it's coming to nVidia's Shield at least, judging by IGN's hands-on video with the thing.

Could someone help me with this? Sonic the Hedgehog 1 runs slow on my iPhone 4S, dunno what's causing it, but every other game I got runs fine for the most part.

Do you mean Sonic 4 episode 1? Or the original Sonic 1 Genesis game? Don't they both run pretty poorly on all iOS devices? They are just poorly programmed it seems.

Give something like Sonic CD a shot. It runs at 60fps.

GeekyDad

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

Ubisoft has announced a 24th January release date for Might & Magic Clash of Heroes on iPhone, iPod and iPad, priced £2.99.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/08/h...c-clash-of-heroes-launching-later-this-month/

Have yet to read but I fear the worst....I'm hyped to the max nonetheless.

Hells yeah!

But not sure why you say "fear the worst." If you're afraid they'll port the DS version over the HD version, it won't matter much, trust me. Heck, I thought the DS version looked cute. Either way, it's a great, great game -- my favorite DS game of that year. Can't wait to throw money at it to have a version for my phone.

bonesquad

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

Ubisoft has announced a 24th January release date for Might & Magic Clash of Heroes on iPhone, iPod and iPad, priced £2.99.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/08/h...c-clash-of-heroes-launching-later-this-month/

Have yet to read but I fear the worst....I'm hyped to the max nonetheless.

Pocket gamer has a preview, and you're right to be worried. They felt the menus were small and fiddly, on an iPad. Still upset I missed the Steam sale... :) maybe this won't be so bad.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Might+&+Magic:+Clash+of+Heroes/news.asp?c=47593

PittaGAF

Hells yeah!

But not sure why you say "fear the worst." If you're afraid they'll port the DS version over the HD version, it won't matter much, trust me. Heck, I thought the DS version looked cute. Either way, it's a great, great game -- my favorite DS game of that year. Can't wait to throw money at it to have a version for my phone.

Judging from the screenshots, seems it's the HD version (at least it's like the 360 version I already own and never played waiting for it to land on iPad).
It's priced, so maybe it's not a iap ridden free to play adaptation as I feared and heard rumors about.
Not so thrilling first impressions about the port itself...but seems the same criticism that plagued initially Puzzle Quest on iPhone (which I loved to death nonetheless).

CAN'T WAIT.

PittaGAF

Clash of heroes iOS is confirmed an universal build ported from the HD version with all the content (languages included), as per Ubisoft rep on TA forums.
I've asked about iCloud and Game Center support.

Really tempted to ask for a Ghost Recon update as well (LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom