• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flunkie

Banned
Clash of heroes iOS is confirmed an universal build ported from the HD version with all the content (languages included), as per Ubisoft rep on TA forums.
I've asked about iCloud and Game Center support.

Really tempted to ask for a Ghost Recon update as well (LOL).
Best possible fucking outcome? Yes.

Also ask about Ghost Recon. Why not?

GeekyDad

Yeah. I had fun for a day or two. Fun distraction , but once you break through the final wall there isn't really anything to do.

Ha, ha. Well, yeah, I just broke through the last wall, so it took me about exactly the same amount of time to finish. Totally satisfying and a great place to say farewell. Now, that was a great casual-gaming experience. One buck, one fun day of play, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Clash of heroes iOS is confirmed an universal build ported from the HD version with all the content (languages included), as per Ubisoft rep on TA forums.
I've asked about iCloud and Game Center support.

Really tempted to ask for a Ghost Recon update as well (LOL).

I are excited. Haven't played the HD version, so I look forward to enjoying the updated sprites. Game's a lil friggin' masterpiece is what it is.

PittaGAF

if you are interested in Clash of Heroes, do this.

1) Go to TA front page article, open in a new tab each picture (they are all retina iPad resolution)
2) Save them on your images camera roll.
3) Watch them full screen pretending you are playing (doesn't really seems tiny AT ALL to me, on the contrary seems freaking gorgeous).
4) Drool for 2 weeks.

(Yes I did all of the above)

:)

Heel

Beat Runner, that music rhythm runner I mentioned last month just went free. iPhone only but seems to be worth a download so far. Pretty interesting concept.

Enk

makes good threads.
I am in love with Letterpress

Yeah, me and my other have been playing this a lot the past couple of weeks. She normally doesn't play games and this was a good one for us to play on and off together. Simple idea but there's a good amount of stategy to it.

Anyone know of any other multiplayer/turn based word-type games like Letterpress that goes through Game Center and not Facebook?

PittaGAF

For the ones interested, the first Battle of the Bulge update hit the Appstore.
Among other things, they patched the 'unsupplied panzer division across the Meuse' bug which granted me so many online victories :p

BTW...the game is FREAKING FANTASTIC, since it came out I'm constantly playing it.
Async gaming at its finest.
Fast, immediate, tense, deep...it has everything.
But if you are even barely into war boardgames, you already read all the niche sites reviews and you already know it's among the best of the best of all time.
For the ones curious the latest 3 Moves Ahead podcast (yesterday) is all about Battle of the Bulge and they explain perfectly why the game is so good (initially one of the blogger didn't even liked the game...but if interested listen it till the end).

colinp

Banned
For the ones interested, the first Battle of the Bulge update hit the Appstore.
Among other things, they patched the 'unsupplied panzer division across the Meuse' bug which granted me so many online victories :p

BTW...the game is FREAKING FANTASTIC, since it came out I'm constantly playing it.
Async gaming at its finest.
Fast, immediate, tense, deep...it has everything.
But if you are even barely into war boardgames, you already read all the niche sites reviews and you already know it's among the best of the best of all time.
For the ones curious the latest 3 Moves Ahead podcast (yesterday) is all about Battle of the Bulge and they explain perfectly why the game is so good (initially one of the blogger didn't even liked the game...but if interested listen it till the end).

I'm interested in BotB but the 3MA guys make it sound like it's hardly worthy playing single player, but I'm sure that's mostly how I'll play it...

PittaGAF

I'm interested in BotB but the 3MA guys make it sound like it's hardly worthy playing single player, but I'm sure that's mostly how I'll play it...

Well...I can give you my experience....I'm still enjoying it a lot (as a sp) and I think they were a bit harsh on the AI (they correct this in the end of the podcast).
The AI is 'strange'...it is very human like.
Probably the guys in the podcast are WAAAAAAAY better than me but I can win 5 games in a row and dismiss it as 'easy'...then AI will HAMMER me for the next 5 games.
No two games are equal (and Allies and Axis are VERY different)...the (very little) randomness in the game makes things GREATLY different each time, even if the map is always the same, as the reincforcements.
At least this is my experience...sometimes I really feel I'm playing against a human a super fast game.
The MP aspect tough is stellar (it has obscured all my time with Ascension or Carcassonne)...the type of game makes really easy to have multiple async games going on...with a single glance (no menus, no review history) you have pretty clear the strategic situation and you can make your move accordingly.
I would say that my time spent with the game now (I play it constantly) is 70 %MP and 30% SP, and I still enjoy it.
Obviously nothing beats a game with a friend of yours, but this is always true.
It is a very niche genre (a genre I almost never played in the past) but it's so well done it's perfect for starters and it is incredibly deep (MUCH MUCH more than it seems, even after several games).
But you really should know what it is about before buying: it is a war boardgame...it doesn't have a massive campaign like Panzer Corps (also coming to iPad this spring) or Battle Academy.
Personally it's one of the best games I ever played and it is, hands down, one of the most polished and slick experience I ever had on iPad, if not the best.

PittaGAF

Clash of Heroes infos.
Shameless cut&paste from TA forums, where an Ubi rep answered.
Seems almost TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

Hello,

I'm back to answer some of your questions .
Clash of Heroes on iOS will be released on January 24th worldwide. The following languages will be supported: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Russian.

The game will definitely work on iPad Touch 4th generation. It will work more smoothly on the end devices such as iPhone 5 and new iPad.

As for the uncompressed size of the game, right now the game takes around 1,9GB after being installed.

We’re happy to say that the game does support iCloud (like Rayman). We made sure our players will be able to start playing on their iPad at home, then switch to their iPhone while being away, and then switch back to their iPad.

The game will also support GameCenter, including Leaderboards, Achievements, Multiplayer and Friends.

The multiplayer mode will be asynchronous indeed.

Clash of Heroes infos.
Shameless cut&paste from TA forums, where an Ubi rep answered.
Seems almost TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

Hello,

I'm back to answer some of your questions .
Clash of Heroes on iOS will be released on January 24th worldwide. The following languages will be supported: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Russian.

The game will definitely work on iPad Touch 4th generation. It will work more smoothly on the end devices such as iPhone 5 and new iPad.

As for the uncompressed size of the game, right now the game takes around 1,9GB after being installed.

We’re happy to say that the game does support iCloud (like Rayman). We made sure our players will be able to start playing on their iPad at home, then switch to their iPhone while being away, and then switch back to their iPad.

The game will also support GameCenter, including Leaderboards, Achievements, Multiplayer and Friends.

The multiplayer mode will be asynchronous indeed.

Have you seen what they wrote in the hands-on Toucharcade preview?

So I'm digging the gameplay in Clash of Heroes so far, but what's not so hot is the actual port job itself. It feels very sloppy in a lot of areas. Dialogue runs over the border of the text boxes, loading screen transitions are choppy and abrupt, menu buttons often fail to register, and overall the tap recognition is really hit and miss. It also feels incredibly tiny on the iPhone, with seemingly no effort to readjust for the small screen (it does feel great on the iPad, though).

just got myself a gorgeous new ipad & so i'm new to all this ios gaming madness. got quite a few of the 'best ofs' that interested me, rayman, punch quest, hundreds etc.
one that i just picked up & finding a lot of fun is dungeon village. any other games you can recommend that are similiar, ie building up a city & what not?

edit: another thing, been trying to play tapped out but it requires 39 updates, the first of which is 200+mb. not a big problem despite my slow internet speed, it's just that it won't download in the background nor when the ipad sleeps. best way to counter this?

PittaGAF

Have you seen what they wrote in the hands-on Toucharcade preview?

Yeah I read...I'll be playing it mostly on iPad so I'm not that worried about tiny buttons that don't register taps...maybe it was just a beta build...maybe it's just me hoping for the better...don't know.
Other websites had similar gripes, while others had better experiences...don't know.
To be honest I thought the game was canned or a iAPs ridden product...seeing it had iCloud sync, GC achievements, asyncronous multiplayer means they at least put some efforts in it...I'm now hoping for the best.

In 2 weeks we will know :)

Booter

Geisha Novia 芸者ノービア, made by two friends of mine is now out on the appstore!

So if you have $0.99 to spare you can get a quite an addicting little game.

Gameplay Trailer

bought it without watching trailer, trying it

edit: not seeing the addictiveness. seems cheaply made.

Silvawuff

Could someone help me with this? Sonic the Hedgehog 1 runs slow on my iPhone 4S, dunno what's causing it, but every other game I got runs fine for the most part.

Try rebooting your device with no other apps running in the background. Alternatively, the aforementioned Sonic CD is a very solid game; if you need a Sonic fix, try that out!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
With some more January games coming out I'll do a refresh of the OP later today/tomorrow. Any more hidden gems that deserve a mention?

Been way busy with work this past week so I haven't managed to keep up/think about an iOS challenge. If anyone wanna step up as co-organiser or similar for one please raise your hand. :)

SmokyDave

edit: another thing, been trying to play tapped out but it requires 39 updates, the first of which is 200+mb. not a big problem despite my slow internet speed, it's just that it won't download in the background nor when the ipad sleeps. best way to counter this?
You've just got to let it download I'm afraid. Think carefully though, the game's as addictive as crack. Also, I think the 200MB is all the updates combined, not just the first one.

Is it poor form to mention I barely notice the updates on my 120MB connection?

You've just got to let it download I'm afraid. Think carefully though, the game's as addictive as crack. Also, I think the 200MB is all the updates combined, not just the first one.

i finally managed to get it all downloaded whilst i was 'writing' my dissertation. & now i'm waist-deep in it's swamp like addictive qualities. gawdamnit.
also yes, that's altogether rather rude of you sir.

wilflare

finally back home.
anyone got suggestions on how to merge your apps from an external HDD to your main computer?

it's a nightmare running through all the different versions/updates

okno

Can we be Tapped Out friends? :3 My ID is Erkr.

finally back home.
anyone got suggestions on how to merge your apps from an external HDD to your main computer?

it's a nightmare running through all the different versions/updates

huh? All your apps are in one place-your itunes library. Click the update button and they're all updated to the latest version. Or if you've installed the latest version on your iOS device, just sync your device to your computer and the latest version will be in itunes.

wilflare

huh? All your apps are in one place-your itunes library. Click the update button and they're all updated to the latest version. Or if you've installed the latest version on your iOS device, just sync your device to your computer and the latest version will be in itunes.

oops. think i was kinda unclear.

my main library is on my desktop.
i went for a long four/five months trip, taking only my laptop and portable HDD (copied the library, partially from the desktop to the portable HDD)
during the trip, all updates were added to the portable HDD (including new purchases).

how do i transfer the updated apps and new purchases over without messing it all up (different versions and all).

i went for a long four/five months trip, taking only my laptop and portable HDD (copied the library, partially from the desktop to the portable HDD)
during the trip, all updates were added to the portable HDD (including new purchases).

how do i transfer the updated apps and new purchases over without messing it all up (different versions and all).

Which itunes library is your device synced to-the one on your desktop or the one on your laptop?

If you had synced your device to your desktops iTunes a long time ago...plugging your device into it should be just fine. It will update the out-of-date apps on your desktop version and basically update the backup that is stored on your iTunes library.

*if I'm understanding your setup the right way*

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Have iTunes manage your library incl. copy files, then just drag your new apps from the external to your library. iTunes should be intelligent enough to ask you if you want to add an app you have an older version of already. At least iTunes 11 does that. I have all my apps separate on an external myself and do this from time to time.

wilflare

Have iTunes manage your library incl. copy files, then just drag your new apps from the external to your library. iTunes should be intelligent enough to ask you if you want to add an app you have an older version of already. At least iTunes 11 does that. I have all my apps separate on an external myself and do this from time to time.

thanks! I lost track of my new apps so I was hoping to just copy everything over... but not sure if iTunes would automatically filter existing apps or something.

To drag.. do I just copy from my external to the iTunes Library folder.. or the iTunes Library (in the actual iTunes Library itself)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well Apple changed the store rules today...devs cannot upload screenshots after a build of a game is approved. This will help in fighting against scam apps...but at the same time it kinda sucks for devs that use promo screenshots during sale periods and stuff. Phooey.

Anyways, can't wait for Joe Danger tonight! It's gonna be awesome.

wilflare

will iTunes automatically remove the old versions of the app too?

colinp

Banned
Is Kingdom Rush loaded with IAP's? I've heard lots of good things about the game and am a bit interested in picking it up but not 100% sure.

I picked up Battle of the Bulge and it's good fun. I lost my first Meuse battle and then got a draw on my second. Crazy short but it was really interesting. I guess the Battle of the Bulge map is longer...?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is Kingdom Rush loaded with IAP's? I've heard lots of good things about the game and am a bit interested in picking it up but not 100% sure.

Are there IAPs? I played through the whole game and then some without ever encountering them or even the concept.

Are there IAPs? I played through the whole game and then some without ever encountering them or even the concept.

There was an update that introduced IAP items. Like you could freeze certain enemies of you want. I finished the game and got all the achievements without them.

Anno

Not at all. You can use IAP currency to purchase things that help, but it's not at all necessary in order to win. You also collect a good amount of it by killing things during the normal course of play. I bought all the items I would ever need without spending a dime, though I ended up throwing them a few bucks to try to push out KR2 that much more quickly. If you like tower defense at all, or just good games, it's absolutely a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom