• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Well, Dungeon Village clicked (not that it takes long with Kairosoft games), so here goes another 20+ hours of my life...

I know that I beat it in time, but it never registered. :(

Achievements are saved locally so if connection to game center failed at one time it should be posted next time it connects to game center, which is after finishing a level. Just replay a level, and it should be posted to game center (hopefully)!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The controls and collision detection in Final Fantasy IV are so atrocious I don't know if I'll even be able to play it.

Achievements are saved locally so if connection to game center failed at one time it should be posted next time it connects to game center, which is after finishing a level. Just replay a level, and it should be posted to game center (hopefully)!

Thanks! When is Year Walk coming??? :D

Finally got around to getting He Man on my new iPad.

Best 99c nostalgia trip money can buy. Really well done.

That 'Most Powerful Game in the Universe' one? I thought that game was awful. Perhaps it is easier to control on the iPad but in my iPod it is just impossible to command He-Man with any sort of precision and the levels are really monotonous.

xelios

Yes, latest update for Last Express says it has been optmized fo iPhone 5.

Got any specific examples? I was thinking of taking the plunge, even though I have it on DS and PSP both.

Huge inaccurate stick movement circle pops up anywhere you touch the screen, running into invisible walls/borders that aren't there, having a difficult time positioning myself to talk to people or at least more than I should (have to get into a certain position where ! comes up, same for searching for loot), movement just feels feels wonky/slippery overall. They really did not know what they were doing with the 3D. iPad 4 btw.

TheMink

I just got a steelseries free controller for my iPad, because hey its a dual analog stick controller, what are the best compatible games so far?

Hope this isnt apocracy to ios gamers :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just got a steelseries free controller for my iPad, because hey its a dual analog stick controller, what are the best compatible games so far?

Hope this isnt apocracy to ios gamers :p
I thought steelseries free isn't officially supported by (m?)any apps, but comes with its own control remapping app, steelseries engine, with which you remap touch controls on its inputs, but I don't think that's even available on iTunes actually. Unless you can configure it via PC, you can download it for PC and Mac as well. I'm not really familiar with the process but look that up.

Edit: I found a compatibility list on their site, it seems to overlap with the (lacking) iCade compatibility so if it uses the same standard that's good (although iCade compatibility doesn't consider an analog stick, nevermind two of them). See my mostly current iCade haul for ideas but many of those are arcade games I perhaps wouldn't play as much with a conventional pad.

Thank you to everyone hyping Hundreds - its ridiculously fun! I didn't realize the ciphers would be fun too. They are really challenging, but I
Iike them. They remind me of the puzzles in the first Assasins Creed, too. My GF really likes Hundreds too, which is amazing since she really isn't into iPad gaming (yet). Thanks again for the recommendation.

wilflare

bleh not sure how i missed Super Ox Wars and Swordigo for free.
time to set the email notifications for AppShopper back on

BearPawB

Banned
What do the red dots on the level select screen of hundreds signify?
I cant tell if it means i did a level wrong...or what

**oh is it just when u get the messages?

TheMink

I thought steelseries free isn't officially supported by (m?)any apps, but comes with its own control remapping app, steelseries engine, with which you remap touch controls on its inputs, but I don't think that's even available on iTunes actually. Unless you can configure it via PC, you can download it for PC and Mac as well. I'm not really familiar with the process but look that up.

Edit: I found a compatibility list on their site, it seems to overlap with the (lacking) iCade compatibility so if it uses the same standard that's good (although iCade compatibility doesn't consider an analog stick, nevermind two of them). See my mostly current iCade haul for ideas but many of those are arcade games I perhaps wouldn't play as much with a conventional pad.

Oh, ok got it! Make sense ill check that out.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The ciphers in Hundreds don't seem very well implemented to me. I love the idea, but there's nothing to explain why they come up, the number of levels you have to complete before getting them seems random, there's nothing to tell you how to access them to try and solve them, and then the actual deciphering is weirdly implemented, especially the second one where if you're not sure what to do you can just randomly change any letter to any other one and end up in a mess. It'd be better if changing one letter changed every other instance of that letter in the phrase, but instead you're left to sort of hope you're doing the right thing.

It's a shame as I like ciphers, and I wouldn't want them dumbed down too far, but you would never expect them to be in the game and you'd probably only stumble across the cipher selection screen by accident. I can't figure out why it's done that way. There doesn't seem to be any connection between them either. Maybe it becomes clearer later on, but as it stands it seems very strange.

Edit:

Just saw this, definitely a sign that this isn't done well.

bonesquad

Yes. Those are the levels you unlocked a cipher.

I don't know how some of you play Hundreds on an iPhone. I'm having a hard time seeing all the dots as I play. I don't have fat fingers, but maybe my hands aren't as small:) Either way I'm not quite as sold on Hundreds as all the press. It's cool, but I've played many better puzzle games on iOS.

BearPawB

Banned
Yes. Those are the levels you unlocked a cipher.

I don't know how some of you play Hundreds on an iPhone. I'm having a hard time seeing all the dots as I play. I don't have fat fingers, but maybe my hands aren't as small:) Either way I'm not quite as sold on Hundreds as all the press. It's cool, but I've played many better puzzle games on iOS.

uhh..yeah i didn't realize there was any game play involved. I assumed it was some sort of "story" that i would figure out as i played....oops.

How do i get back to the ciphers?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
uhh..yeah i didn't realize there was any game play involved. I assumed it was some sort of "story" that i would figure out as i played....oops.

Go back to the main menu and tap on the circle in the middle. I guess figuring out what those messages are and where to look for them is a puzzle in itself!

bonesquad

Also, to be clear I put 'you' in bold to make fun of the fact you just typed a 'u'. And you continue to annoy me with your lack of an uppercase 'I'. I'm no grammer nazi, but this isn't a text message from 2004! :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Got any specific examples? I was thinking of taking the plunge, even though I have it on DS and PSP both.

I've got about 5 hours in it, and I have no complaints. It's not exactly a game where split second reflexes matter, and it doesn't really take me more than a few shots which amounts to seconds at worst to get to the proper spot to do an action (usually it's not even an issue). The framerate has been better than the first few battles as well, which was my biggest initial complaint. Still hoping for a patch before I beat it, but not expecting one. The whole complete the map for a bonus is fun too, I only played the SNES version back at release, so the new 3D visuals are charming as well. The graphics are also very sharp on the iPhone 5 thanks to the retina resolution, though the borders are a little annoying, but I tend not to notice them while playing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone know how FFIV performs on an iPhone 4? As well as III did?

xelios

I've got about 5 hours in it, and I have no complaints. It's not exactly a game where split second reflexes matter, and it doesn't really take me more than a few shots which amounts to seconds at worst to get to the proper spot to do an action (usually it's not even an issue). The framerate has been better than the first few battles as well, which was my biggest initial complaint. Still hoping for a patch before I beat it, but not expecting one. The whole complete the map for a bonus is fun too, I only played the SNES version back at release, so the new 3D visuals are charming as well. The graphics are also very sharp on the iPhone 5 thanks to the retina resolution, though the borders are a little annoying, but I tend not to notice them while playing.

Yeah I'm managing at this point. Still, they could have done a lot better with the controls, maybe it's worse on iPad but I'm not fond of the 3 inch circle appearing anywhere I touch. I've gotten over my initial whining but I will always have complaints about imprecise controls ( ! thing). No frame rate drops for me at all and I like the map bonuses as well, so there's something. Game runs really smooth and I like the graphics too (no black bars for me).

That 'Most Powerful Game in the Universe' one? I thought that game was awful. Perhaps it is easier to control on the iPad but in my iPod it is just impossible to command He-Man with any sort of precision and the levels are really monotonous.

They released an update that modified the controls, although I personally played it with one of those suction based thumbsticks on the original release and it worked like a charm.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuu, check your PM!!

:D
ekcUq.jpg

!!!

It didn't immediately register after I logged in and loaded the game, but I did what Ninjagorilla said and after beating a random stage it worked. You finally have it!

Yanksfan

Good to hear a different side. I am going to take a shot and pick it up. I have bought and beat it on SNES, PSOne, GBA, DS and PSP. I guess it is time to add a 6th system to my list.

Revisiting Infinity Blade II after beating the initial story. Just got the infinity blade and are seeing some new areas and paths pop up the second time through. Such a great game.

Yanksfan

Revisiting Infinity Blade II after beating the initial story. Just got the infinity blade and are seeing some new areas and paths pop up the second time through. Such a great game.

Good to hear. I had heard that the game was all fluff and the gameplay wasn't very good, so I have stayed away. Is it worth playing the first one or should I look to just hop into the 2nd?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Finally got around to getting He Man on my new iPad.

Best 99c nostalgia trip money can buy. Really well done.

I enjoyed it for a while. Shitty collision detection will annoy you eventually. Still, was worth the buck. And now you get She Ra, but it's the same content, just different moves.

Good to hear. I had heard that the game was all fluff and the gameplay wasn't very good, so I have stayed away. Is it worth playing the first one or should I look to just hop into the 2nd?

I have both and went through the first one (I got it right when it came out). It's still solid but you can see it's a bare bones experience. For the time it was awesome but definitely doesn't have the depth of the second game. Still, give it a shot especially since it goes on sale often. But yeah, you'll certainly spend much, much more time with the second. A much deeper story, deeper weapon customization, many more areas to explore, different fighting styles, etc. I think the first one has some mode that the second doesn't (arena mode I think?).

So yeah, you can just go right to the IF2 but since you can get the first one for so cheap, you're always able to go through the first one to get used to it, if you prefer.

Have you played IF before? The fun in the battles really come in the parry system, in my opinion.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

They're both great. If you hop into 2 it'll be tough to go back tho.

Tron 2.0

Purchased Modern Combat 4. It's the first MC game I've played, and the only FPS I've attempted on an iPhone. I think trying to play it on an iPhone is my mistake. Why the controls are mapped the way they are makes zero sense to me and it's impossible to see anything with my fingers covering the screen.

I imagine it's much more playable on the extra real estate of an iPad, but even then the controls would be an issue for me. Kind of disappointing, since it seems like otherwise it would be fun. I'm just not coordinated enough to deal with it.

Same with GTA: Chinatown Wars. Bought it for $0.99 like a year ago and just gave it a go recently. Controls were unworkable for me.

I am super surprised at how difficult Grading Game is. The time limits are very unforgiving.

Looking to start The Last Express soon.

Purchased Modern Combat 4. It's the first MC game I've played, and the only FPS I've attempted on an iPhone. I think trying to play it on an iPhone is my mistake. Why the controls are mapped the way they are makes zero sense to me and it's impossible to see anything with my fingers covering the screen.

I imagine it's much more playable on the extra real estate of an iPad, but even then the controls would be an issue for me. Kind of disappointing, since it seems like otherwise it would be fun. I'm just not coordinated enough to deal with it.

Same with GTA: Chinatown Wars. Bought it for $0.99 like a year ago and just gave it a go recently. Controls were unworkable for me.

I am super surprised at how difficult Grading Game is. The time limits are very unforgiving.

Looking to start The Last Express soon.

Not sure if this will help, but this might help ya :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbfTh9HQRQ&list=UUbZo4HMR__-oNJjuXUC6sRw&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1benFg2mqAA&list=UUbZo4HMR__-oNJjuXUC6sRw&index=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom