• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Satchel

Banned
Looking at the various hands-on's for this - how is it that Apple manage to trump every one of their competitors on design/finish every single time? Why hasn't a competitor at least attempted to step up to the plate to design a premium feel tablet? I thought that was part of the appeal of Apple stuff - it confuses me noone attempts to match it. I love my Nexus 7, but it's plasticky shit. So is my Xperia S. Where is the premium Android tablet/handset?

The Surface is thattaway.

giga

Christ . . . I love my iOS devices, but this is stupid.
I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. I've had an iPad, iPad 2, and now the new iPad (can't we just say 3, Apple?).
But why on Earth would I pay this much money for a non-retina, slow-ass mini-tablet? I'm all about the ~7 form, but with an old processor, a <200 ppi screen, and a price tag of $329, no fucking thanks.
If this had been $199 or even $249, probably. But as is, no way.
The old A5 is faster than every other <$300 tablet's SoC.

I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. I've had an iPad, iPad 2, and now the new iPad (can't we just say 3, Apple?).
But why on Earth would I pay this much money for a non-retina, slow-ass mini-tablet? I'm all about the ~7 form, but with an old processor, a <200 ppi screen, and a price tag of $329, no fucking thanks.

Why on Earth are you updating your phone and tablet on an annual basis?

Somnid

It's actually one of the faster 7" if only because Apple is way ahead in processor tech. Everything else is pretty garbage though. Interestingly the specs are almost identical to the iPod Touch except the iPod touch has a nicer screen, significantly better camera, is completely miniaturized and still costs $30 less while starting at 32GB of storage.

The old A5 is faster than every other <$300 tablet's SoC.

Both the Nook HD and Kobo Arc use OMAP 4470s at $200 in 7" form factors.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

because apparently you purchase absolutely everything apple makes?

tablet seems like a cash grab for the new section of the market. I'm sure my colleague who owns every single device under the sun and does nothing with them will purchase it so I can have a look, but nothing about this tablet looks interesting.

renitou

Laughed when the Verge editor noting that the display for the iPad mini looked "significantly tighter" than an iPad 2 given the moderate increase in PPI, when the same editor poo pooed the Fire HD, Paperwhite, and Nexus 7 tablets for not being up to "retina quality" from a resolution standpoint.

Build quality is impressive, and the App Store is an almost insurmountable mountain for competitors, but so easily (and slyly?) giving a pass to the Achilles' Heel of this product was disappointing.

blueICE

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that the bezel is way too thin?
The key feature for a 7" tablet is that you can hold it in one hand, yet with that bezel you either trigger the touch-screen accidentally more than you want or you have to hold it in a way that becomes uncomfortable very quickly.

Just because you make the device smaller doesn't mean that the hand that operates it scales with it.

it has special software so you don't accidently trigger the sides.

Tobor

Do you buy every size MacBook? The 21" and 27" iMac? Why would you need every size iOS device?

Vyer

Laughed when the Verge editor noting that the display for the iPad mini looked "significantly tighter" than an iPad 2 given the moderate increase in PPI, when the same editor poo pooed the Fire HD, Paperwhite, and Nexus 7 tablets for not being up to "retina quality" from a resolution standpoint.

Build quality is impressive, and the App Store is an almost insurmountable mountain for competitors, but so easily (and slyly?) giving a pass to the Achilles' Heel of this product was disappointing.

I've read those reviews, and I don't think that happened.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Why don't you wait for an official review? I'm sure they'll call it a weakness then. These are simply quick first impressions.

And he'd be right in it looking "tighter" than the iPad 2 anyway. He was simply comparing it to it's big brother.

Caramello

I have a laptop that's over 4 years old and an iPad 2.

I've never had a problem with my iPad and have no desire to upgrade. I was planning on upgrading every two years but with Surface Pro expected 3 months from now I'd prefer to replace my iPad 2 and my laptop with that. For me the iPad mini is perfect as I'll still be able to enjoy all of my apps, I'll be getting some new hardware features and for a lot of the things I do on my iPad, the smaller size will be welcome. I also have an iPhone 4S and appleTV which was a gift and I enjoy some of the cross functionality between those devices and iPad.

iPad mini is a perfect product for me basically because iPad will become a secondary device to what the Surface Pro will be to me and the smaller form factor will fit in nicely to how I already use the iPad.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I might be down for this... or just get an iPad... haven't really decided yet.

renitou

Why don't you wait for an official review? I'm sure they'll call it a weakness then. These are simply quick first impressions.

And he'd be right in it looking "tighter" than the iPad 2 anyway. He was simply comparing it to it's big brother.

The "tighter" wording came from his video impressions - the text of his hands-on impression is worse: "The display on the mini looks incredibly sharp, and even though the resolution is lower than the 3rd and 4th generation full-size iPad, it doesn't immediately seem like a 1024 x 768 display." (emphasis mine)

The cognitive dissonance is silly. :p

I don't doubt that the full review will include glazing criticisms of the screen and wishes for a display was of higher resolution. You don't need much more than first blush on the display to discern something like pixel density, certainly not for a tech editor that sees and reviews so many different gadgets. Right now, I expect a similar apologist tone in the day one review. Look forward to being wrong.

It doesn't matter too much - the only reviews worth their stock to me come a few weeks later on Anandtech anyway. :)

I knew it would be priced higher than 199, but i was still very shocked to see that 329 price tag and the specs. Apple has had a ton of success in the premium segment of the market place so i have no doubt it will do well in the low to mid tablet market, but i wonder if they will actually meet their expectations of sales/momentum past this holiday.

Biff

From a strategy point of view, this product seems so backwards.

They spent so much marketing power on making everyone believe how important retina is.

Now it's a "Oh but it doesn't apply for this size" runaround that just dilutes the original message. Really strange decision by Apple.

elty

Just notice some outrageous Apple tax on iPhone.....

iPad mini 16GB (A5, LTE) = $459
iPhone 4 8GB (A4, 3G) = $450
iPhone 4S 16GB (A5, 3G) = $599

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoC82RuAxqw

When people begin to realize that the smaller form factor is more manageable, with negligible loss in functionality.

Could be possible, probably after a price cut if it doesn't sell insanely well... or maybe even not.

I mean, macbook air took over mbp as the hot apple laptop right?

maybe people like small.

Pachimari

My problem is, that I wanted a black but with the silver backing. Now it's all black. So I don't know if I should go with white or black - I have always bought my iPads and iPhones in black though.

Also I'll use it for writing and reading, though I wonder how it'll fare with comics and .pdfs and editing those in GoodReader.

dc89

A bit too expensive. I just have this feeling that if Apple sold it for around the £230 mark in the UK people would seriously lap it up. I mean, I'm not kidding myself, people are going to buy them, they will sell shed loads of them. But they really could have gone for the jugular.

Can anyone give me a quick breakdown of the actual differences between the nexus 7 and the mini

I know the mini is bigger screen and the nexus is a higher resolution (and they are different form factors). I also know that the mini has higher quality build materials but is a LOT more expensive.

however how do the internals compare? is the nexus faster?

Im asking as I might be getting one of the 2 at the end of november. I have an iPhone 4s and 2 apple TV's but apart from that have no obsession with apple or anything. Would happily get android if it would suit me better.

So far I prefer the nexus size and screen form factor I think. Price is also a LOT nicer. However I havn't really used the android store so while I know its not as good I dont know to what extent. Obviously I have some investment in the app store due to my iPhone.

Has anyone here had any experience with the splash top app on both devices? I can get it to work pretty well on my iphone (playing games from my PC I mean) and it runs OK on my wifes iPad 1 but its a little slow due to the crappy CPU in that thing). Does it run just as well or even better on the nexus? or worse maybe?

Any info would help a ton cheers.

Future

iPad 2 is not slow at all. In practice, feels faster than the 3

Pachimari

I wonder if the black one will be easily scratchable if I take it with me around with not backside cover and have it in my bag.

Cheebo

Banned
Can anyone give me a quick breakdown of the actual differences between the nexus 7 and the mini

I know the mini is bigger screen and the nexus is a higher resolution (and they are different form factors). I also know that the mini has higher quality build materials but is a LOT more expensive.

however how do the internals compare? is the nexus faster?

Im asking as I might be getting one of the 2 at the end of november. I have an iPhone 4s and 2 apple TV's but apart from that have no obsession with apple or anything. Would happily get android if it would suit me better.

So far I prefer the nexus size and screen form factor I think. Price is also a LOT nicer. However I havn't really used the android store so while I know its not as good I dont know to what extent. Obviously I have some investment in the app store due to my iPhone.

Has anyone here had any experience with the splash top app on both devices? I can get it to work pretty well on my iphone (playing games from my PC I mean) and it runs OK on my wifes iPad 1 but its a little slow due to the crappy CPU in that thing). Does it run just as well or even better on the nexus? or worse maybe?

Any info would help a ton cheers.

Here you go:
Bigger Screen: iPad Mini
Better Screen Resolution: Nexus 7
Better Build Quality: iPad Mini
Better Cameras: iPad Mini
Better Internal Specs: iPad Mini (it has the same processor as your iPhone 4S)
LTE/Cellular Availability: iPad Mini
Better Price: Nexus 7
Better App Store: iPad Mini
Battery Life: Seems to be about the same
Size (as in smaller): Nexus 7
Weight (as in smaller): iPad Mini

Shancake

My problem is, that I wanted a black but with the silver backing. Now it's all black. So I don't know if I should go with white or black - I have always bought my iPads and iPhones in black though.

Also I'll use it for writing and reading, though I wonder how it'll fare with comics and .pdfs and editing those in GoodReader.

I'm having the same dilemma and am actually stumped with choosing a colour for the first time.. I usually go with black but I really want that silver back so now I really don't know which colour to go for!

Gaaraz

Wanted to get my mum something for her 50th birthday, it was already between an iPad, a Nexus 7 or an ultrabook... and now the iPad mini has been thrown into the mix too!

I think the size (and extra width in particular) of the iPad mini is near perfect, but IMO it's very overpriced and Apple are really, really starting to grate on me now. Just wish the competition would step up so I don't have to keep buying their damn products! (thank you Galaxy S3, now for the rest)

Pachimari

I'm having the same dilemma and am actually stumped with choosing a colour for the first time.. I usually go with black but I really want that silver back so now I really don't know which colour to go for!

The white seem to look nice on the front this time, as it's only the FaceTime HD camera which sticks out. There's no sensor sticking out this time right?

But then I'm gonna use it for reading and writing and editing pdf's, so I don't want the white border to distract.

I'll use my black iPad 2 for games only now.

Here you go:
Bigger Screen: iPad Mini
Better Screen Resolution: Nexus 7
Better Build Quality: iPad Mini
Better Cameras: iPad Mini
Better Internal Specs: iPad Mini (it has the same processor as your iPhone 4S)
LTE/Cellular Availability: iPad Mini
Better Price: Nexus 7
Better App Store: iPad Mini
Battery Life: Seems to be about the same
Size (as in smaller): Nexus 7
Weight (as in smaller): iPad Mini
Aspect Ratio that looks comfortable in both orientations: iPad Mini.

gimmmick

tumblr_mb1gaax5uF1qhlbgzo1_r2_400.gif

This sums up almost every product that apple launches post job's era.

Blackhead

Redarse
Slashgear's first impressions on the thumb rejection (first confirmation on the feature I've seen):
This Thumb Rejection technology has indeed been tested (hands-on, that is) by our own Vincent Nguyen who confirms that it works perfectly well here at the outset...

UPDATE: This technology works on the iPad 4th gen as well &#8211; perhaps integration with the rest of the handheld Apple touchscreen-toting universe isn&#8217;t far behind?

If anyone sees a detailed review (tested while the multitouch gestures are on, with games and other fullscreen apps etc) please post.

NIghtWolf

The most influential differences in favor to:
Nexus 7 = price
Ipad-Mini = ecosystem/screen size (most relevant) | rear camera/build

Size/Weight/Battery = Not very different between each.

As for performance I would wait until they do comparative performance. The N7 is supposed to get cellular model (3G) and a price adjustment (16GB = $199, 32GB = $250) before the months ends.

Ipad mini will play games better and has more apps (optimized for it). While the gaming might not get better in the N7 the play store should get better in the future.

I will wait for now.

Top Bottom