• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Tobor

My kids school already has iPad 2's, I don't see them upgrading anytime soon.

This is why the iPad 2 is still on the market. A cheaper option for school districts and businesses who want the full size screen.

I think a lot of the districts who haven't jumped in yet will save the $70 per unit and go with mini's.

McLovin

Looks ok, but that price? I would rather get a Nexus 7, or maybe an iPad 4 whenever that's released.
Don't you have to do a contract for the lte? I'm surprised its not cheaper then the wifi version.

gamma

What's with the asymmetrical Smart Cover? That would annoy the hell out of me.

ipadmini216_verge_super_wide.jpg

dem

My kids school already has iPad 2's, I don't see them upgrading anytime soon.

Lots of schools have them.. lots of them still don't.

I work for a school district and have had lots schools ask me about buying android tablets because they are cheaper than an iPad 2. I told then wait for the iPad mini.

70 bucks cheaper than an iPad 2 makes a big difference when youre buying a bunch of them. Especially for small schools.

Looks ok, but that price? I would rather get a Nexus 7. Or an iPad 4 whenever that's released.
Don't you have to do a contract for the lte? I'm surprised its not cheaper then the wifi version.

Almost exactly the same things were said when the first iPhone was revealed.

"LOL at the price of $599!"
"At that price I'll just get a Blackberry and a iPod."

And again the same thing with the iPad 1:

"LOL at that price of $499!"
"At that price I'd rather get a decent netbook."

Something I just realized: The iPad Mini is going to sell a ton this year, BUT if Apple decides to keep this year's iPad mini around after next year's comes out, then I think the iPad will have a legitimate chance at reaching iPhone level sales.

I can totally see them selling the "old" iPad Mini for $250 or less while keeping the "new" iPad Mini at the $330 price.

dem

How old are those kids? Those things will get destroyed pretty quickly.

We've had ours for a year so far and we've only had a few issues. Nearly all of them related to the home button not working.

They were under warranty so apple just sent us a new one. In year 3 it might be pretty brutal though.

tino

Banned
no just give me a 6.5"-7" phone that triple boots iOS, Android, and windows 8 Pro x86/64 OS

@ 1920x1200

I throw away every other device I own

also

329$ for a 1024x768 device

Da fuq ?

6.5"-7" is too wide to put in my Jeans pocket. I think 6" 16x9 (PS Vita size) or 5.5" 16x10 is the limit.

Somnid

Lots of schools have them.. lots of them still don't.

I work for a school division and have had lots schools ask me about buying android tablets because they are cheaper than an iPad 2. I told then wait for the iPad mini.

70 bucks cheaper than an iPad 2 makes a big difference when youre buying a bunch of them. Especially for small schools.

Kindles are rapidly becoming much better educational options. Better book store, cheaper devices plus they just released management tools so everything from device settings to books and apps, and restrictions can be managed in bulk by grouping. Also supports BYOD via the Kindle App for Android and iOS.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ref=wcnb_kas&docId=1000412651&

You can buy about 5 basic Kindles for the price of one mini, or 2 Kindle Fires.

McLovin

I'm just saying for a little less you could get something comparable, and for a little more you can get something better(a full sized iPad). And that was just my take on it, we all know its going to sell like crazy.

big_z

I expect will smith and Gary whitta to be drowning In their apple juice right now. Seems like norm isn't quite buying into the bullshit.

f0lken

To be honest, the first iPhone didn't sell that well, Apple even reduced the price and made refunds if I remember correctly, it was until the iPhone 3G when it started to became the phenomenon it is

dem

Kindles are rapidly becoming much better educational options. Better book store, cheaper devices plus they just released management tools so everything from device settings to books and apps, and restrictions can be managed in bulk by grouping. Also supports BYOD via the Kindle App for Android and iOS.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ref=wcnb_kas&docId=1000412651&

You can buy about 5 basic Kindles for the price of one mini, or 2 Kindle Fires.

In my schools I don't even think they use them for reading/textbook type stuff. It's all educational apps, web browing, movie making, digital learning stuff.

I'd agree that managing them is an enormous pain in the ass though. Especially using the VPP.

Theres a significant different between the iPhone and Blackberry and the iPad and a Netbook.
The Mini has very similar devices competing along side it. I'd say its only competitive advantage is that some people just prefer the Apple OS and ecosystem.

Is that worth the price upgrade? Not for me, but for others it will be.
But nowhere near the same degree as the iphone/ipad

Shai-Tan

Banned
6.5"-7" is too wide to put in my Jeans pocket. I think 6" 16x9 (PS Vita size) or 5.5" 16x10 is the limit.

The N7 is a bit snug in my jeans but I think it would actually be ok if the bezel were a bit smaller. Not for walking around a city but it's a Wi-Fi device. It fits perfectly in my coat pocket, just don't have a reason to carry it when my iPhone drains so quickly in hotspot mode. If the mini were actually that mini and cellular wasn't such a ripoff I'd be interested.

Zeth

iPad is a cultural phenomenon, so they've got that going for them. I don't think the price will slow it down. There are a lot of people who want an iPad but disliked either the size or $500 entry price. I can't imagine how many holiday shopping lists this will be on.

LCfiner

The width is about the same as a Bluray/DVD/Game case.

that's actually a really good, obvious comparison. we're all pretty familiar with these and have them around the house.

it's the same width and only 1/2" longer than a DVD case. well, and about half the thickness. but it gives us a decent idea of what it's like to hold.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I wish I hadn't just watched this video. Apple can be so douchey when they want to be. The video made me want to puke too. "These aren't just the apps you use on your phone, these are powerful apps" particularly hurts but there is a lot to pick apart in that thing. I still think it's cool, but I am just a little bit embarrassed by it. Sometimes Apple has all the vision and awareness in the world, but sometimes completely lacks self-awareness.
I call it Oprah-language. *crowd goes wild but they're not sure why*

To be honest, I expected it to cost MORE than $369 AU, but that's because I expected them to really overprice it. It'll sell like crazy, though, which I guess is all that matters for them.

McLovin

Isn't that the same for all Apple products?
Yeah pretty much, but for a full sized tablet I don't think they have any real competition. For me, if I was in the market for a mini-tablet, the nexus 7 would be a better choice. That back camera is a nice feature, but it doesn't justify the price difference for me.

VALIS

Not retina. Not even above 720p 16:9 HD. Starts at $329. What's the point?

Setting the bar really low on the first one because all the suckers die hards will buy it anyway and then have reason to buy the new one next year when it's 1.5x faster and 3 oz. lighter!

Zeth

They know how to use books within 5.

Only they're 100% more engaged with iPads

Setting the bar really low on the first one because all the suckers die hards will buy it anyway and then have reason to buy the new one next year when it's 1.5x faster and 3 oz. lighter!

Yep. They're the only people who buy this garbage. How else would they sell a hundred million?

IceCold

To be honest, the first iPhone didn't sell that well, Apple even reduced the price and made refunds if I remember correctly, it was until the iPhone 3G when it started to became the phenomenon it is

That was because the first iPhone didn't have an app store and few countries had it.

Mully

They're amazing for education. Kids know how to use them within 30 seconds.

I hate to get off topic, but these are one of the things that annoy the hell out of me about schools. They invest millions into quality TVs, smart-boards, and now iPads; yet they rarely invest money into more quality teachers.

WillyFive

I hate to get off topic, but these are one of the things that annoy the hell out of me about schools. They invest millions into quality TVs, smart-boards, and now iPads; yet they rarely invest money into more quality teachers.

Where do they sell better teachers?

Koyuga

Was really hoping Apple would come through with the price on this one. Looks pretty, though. Would look really cute next to my iPhone 5. Now to wait on oct. 29 to see what fate has for my first tablet purchase.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Looking at the various hands-on's for this - how is it that Apple manage to trump every one of their competitors on design/finish every single time? Why hasn't a competitor at least attempted to step up to the plate to design a premium feel tablet? I thought that was part of the appeal of Apple stuff - it confuses me noone attempts to match it. I love my Nexus 7, but it's plasticky shit. So is my Xperia S. Where is the premium Android tablet/handset?

Tobor

Did I say something wrong?

Well, for starters, an iPad program at a school doesn't cost that much. Cancelling it would free up the money for what, one teacher, if that? Secondly, it's been proven to have an impact on students.

Personally, I'd like to hire more teachers, and give them iPads. Our kids should have the best tech and the best teachers.

Top Bottom