• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the various hands-on's for this - how is it that Apple manage to trump every one of their competitors on design/finish every single time? Why hasn't a competitor at least attempted to step up to the plate to design a premium feel tablet? I thought that was part of the appeal of Apple stuff - it confuses me noone attempts to match it. I love my Nexus 7, but it's plasticky shit. So is my Xperia S. Where is the premium Android tablet/handset?

I imagine it comes down to their supply chain that is probably second to none. The competition realizes they wouldn't be able to beat Apple both on specs and on price if they chased that premium feel, so they go for a cheaper feeling product and try to compete by selling it for much cheaper.

My school had the original imac in all the Primary 5-7 classes. And there was a big charging tray of Apple laptops (not sure which model it was at the time). Its not really anything new.

iPads obviously add a lot of learning capabilities from how easy they are to use.

Also the thing with quality teachers is one normal teach costs about as much as equiping the school with ipads. So instead of paying for an AMAZING top skilled teacher you as a school will pay for equipment to help deliver the education, making it easier to teach (software especially is so beneficial to schools, the 'top skilled' person creates the learning environment and they don't get paid an ongoing large wage by the school).

We all want amazing teachers, but paying for them is very difficult.

SuperPac

Looks ok, but that price? I would rather get a Nexus 7, or maybe an iPad 4 whenever that's released.
Don't you have to do a contract for the lte? I'm surprised its not cheaper then the wifi version.

No, you don't have a contract for the LTE version. It's month to month cancel anytime - you don't need the activate it to use the device either. And the plans are pretty good, honestly.

Looking at the various hands-on's for this - how is it that Apple manage to trump every one of their competitors on design/finish every single time? Why hasn't a competitor at least attempted to step up to the plate to design a premium feel tablet? I thought that was part of the appeal of Apple stuff - it confuses me noone attempts to match it. I love my Nexus 7, but it's plasticky shit. So is my Xperia S. Where is the premium Android tablet/handset?

Apple has supply chain efficiencies that are unrivaled. Apple is also able to command a price premium that other brands cannot.

Also, the Nexus 7 is trying to come in at a lower price. They didn't want to skimp on horsepower so they skimped on the casing...

edit: beaten....

Mully

Well, for starters, an iPad program at a school doesn't cost that much. Cancelling it would free up the money for what, one teacher, if that? Secondly, it's been proven to have an impact on students.

Personally, I'd like to hire more teachers, and give them iPads. Our kids should have the best tech and the best teachers.

Why do we need an iPad in the classroom? Does it really help to reinforce learning better than a teacher who knows how to teach or engage a class?

Why do we need an iPad in the classroom? Does it really help to reinforce learning better than a teacher who knows how to teach or engage a class?

Its a tool for the teacher to help them reinforce learning. No different from a chalk board or textbook; just more modern.

Mully

Its a tool for the teacher to help them reinforce learning. No different from a chalk board or textbook; just more modern.

That's fine. I'm just having difficulty understanding what the real benefits are of giving a child an iPad over a chalkboard, notebook, or even a projector.

WillyFive

That's fine. I'm just having difficulty understanding what the real benefits are of giving a child an iPad over a chalkboard, notebook, or even a projector.

Chalkboards are dirty, require constant cleaning and replacement of chalk. White chalkboards also require markers that are easily lost and the board itself requires cleaning.

Notebooks are not reusable, are heavy when you have to carry around a lot of them, and take up a lot of space in the classroom for storage.

A projector is already being improved with giant touch screens placed on classrooms, which are basically a giant PC screen for the teacher and students to use for activities and videos.

An iPad is personalized to each child, reusable, can do a lot more than other tools, and kids love them.

Its the software that can be put on it. Over a notebook I suppose its the multitouch, adds interactivity. Plus something like a notebook has steeper learning curves/issues. iPad is much more directed.

Especially young children.

Tobor

Good interactive tools are always more engaging. It makes the teachers job easier. Anytime you can entertain kids while educating them, you are going to be more successful.

A chalkboard or a projector is boring, an iPad is fun. That's an easy win for education.

Fail price, fail size, "fusion" drives aren't a new invention as Apple would have you believe, and who cares how thick an iMac is? I feel like Apple is 'jumping the shark'.

Jumping the shark after Steve Jobs departure?.... that wouldn't be the first time for Apple.

But yeah 1024x768? No. Might as well buy a cheaper older model iPad, or wait for the iPad Mini second gen that will fix most of the issues people dislike about this model.

Mully

Its the software that can be put on it. Over a notebook I suppose its the multitouch, adds interactivity. Plus something like a notebook has steeper learning curves/issues. iPad is much more directed.

Especially young children.

Oh god I'm getting old.

I was talking about these:

note-3.jpg

Oh god I'm getting old.

I was talking about these:

note-3.jpg

Haha - don't worry, its just I call them a pad :p (which actually will likely make me feel old one day having this conversation!)

But yeah, a notepad adds little value, its for writing on sure; but a iPad can be used to display information that has been packaged to be best for kids to digest; and add interactivity.

Dunlop

Read reviews of it, overall pretty mixed reviews. 7 from The Verge, Gizmodo hated it, ABC said it's not as good as iPad, etc. Only Engadget seems to like it. Surface looking to be a bit of a critical dud, at least the RT one.

He was talking about bild quality/aesthetics which all reviews seem to agree to them being fantastic.

Of course IOS which has been around for years will have a leg up on a new fledgling OS

A quick google search will come up with a ton of articles on this, but here's the first one that I saw.

Educators: IPads improving test scores for Auburn kindergarteners

Recent test scores show that in the fall of 2011, as students began the year, 19 percent were proficient in reading skills. By spring, 67 percent were proficient, up 48 percentage points, said Shelly Mogul, school department curriculum director.

In reading, 49 percent were proficient in phonic skills in the fall. By spring, 80 percent were proficient, an improvement of 31 percentage points.

“We made really good gains with our kindergarten students last year,” Mogul said. “My overall reaction is very positive.”

Taxpayer money for the iPad tablet computers “is money well spent,” Mogul said.

Edit:

I'm no teacher but I think the interactivity and instant gratification that a tablet can provide is useful for children. Not to mention potentially cheaper textbooks. Of course none of this is exclusive to iPads and Android tablets could definitely do the same but it seems as if Apple is really pushing for this.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't even want to see what those screens must look like after 6 year olds have had their disgusting fucking hands all over them.

Mully

A quick google search will come up with a ton of articles on this, but here's the first one that I saw.

Educators: IPads improving test scores for Auburn kindergarteners

Edit:

I'm no teacher but I think the interactivity and instant gratification that a tablet can provide is useful for children. Not to mention potentially cheaper textbooks. Of course none of this is exclusive to iPads and Android tablets could definitely do the same but it seems as if Apple is really pushing for this.

Okay. You've convinced me.

Tobor

I don't even want to see what those screens must look like after 6 year olds have had their disgusting fucking hands all over them.

I have to wipe mine down after my 4 year old Nephew has had it for a while, but it's glass. It cleans up nicely.

An iPad offers alot more things to do other than writing things down or drawing on it.

Yeah but a notepad costs 1/300th of the price, has infinite battery life and superior image resolution. You can also use it to make paper airplanes and origami figurines. can you do that with an iPad? :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nothing here for me. It's overall not very impressive.

I have my iPad 3, the only problem being that I'm running out of room now :(

GavinGT

Banned
Yeah but a notepad costs 1/300th of the price, has infinite battery life and superior image resolution. You can also use it to make paper airplanes and origami figurines. can you do that with an iPad? :p

No smart cover, though. Just a regular old cardboard one.

Row

Banned

because it's a matter of opinion and whatever you want to be true is

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Love the design.

I think I will sell my iPad 2 and go for this and just wait for the next real refresh of the iPad.

I may end up liking the thinness and weight more than higher resolution.

Love the design.

I think I will sell my iPad 2 and go for this and just wait for the next real refresh of the iPad.

I may end up liking the thinness and weight more than higher resolution.

I would love one too for it's light weight and size but it will have to wait for now, but I am interested in one even though I own the ipad 3 and use it daily at home.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I can throw an iPad and it'll glide a little?

Hey, I have literally over a hundred dollars worth of notebooks as part of a collection (that I plan to finish using... someday). I know the merits of a notebook, just noting putting a notebook and an iPad in the same equivalancy is somewhat dumb. :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I would love one too for it's light weight and size but it will have to wait for now, but I am interested in one even though I own the ipad 3 and use it daily at home.
Yeah. If I had a 3, I probably wouldn't switch.

Since I have an iPad 2 though, it's an upgrade with Siri, way better cameras (both), etc.
Yeah, I'm doing it.

Yeah. If I had a 3, I probably wouldn't switch.

Since I have an iPad 2 though, it's an upgrade with Siri, way better cameras (both), etc.
Yeah, I'm doing it.

Worth it I think, nearly identical power but easier to move around and supposedly 1gb ram, i'd do the same myself.

10 hour battery in a mini right?

Shearie

Can't wait to get this. Selling my iPad 2 for a Mini and unless regular iPad's ever weigh less than a pound someday, I'll probably never go back.

giga

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Hard to find reasons to get an iPad 2 over the mini. Heavier, larger, terrible cameras, more expensive, mono speaker, bluetooth 2.1, slower wifi (72mbps vs 150mbps), no Siri…

I look forward to $250 refurb minis.

Can't wait to get this. Selling my iPad 2 for a Mini and unless regular iPad's ever weigh less than a pound someday, I'll probably never go back.
Yeah, that's what I'm feeling. Love the retina display, but weight has always been my biggest issue with the iPad.

Jimrpg

I can't see any particular reason why they are keeping the iPad 2 except it probably costs Apple next to nothing to make and it can probably sell on the name itself.

Considering that the iPad mini has the same number of pixels on the screen (1024x768) as the iPad 2, plus its pretty much identical or superior to the iPad 2 and cheaper.

I mean you are getting the same amount of content on the screen on both devices so there's no advantage unless you want things larger (like a nintendo 3DS XL)...

personally i would prefer a lighter more compact device that does the same...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Hard to find reasons to get an iPad 2 over the mini. Heavier, larger, terrible cameras, more expensive, bluetooth 2.1, no Siri…

I look forward to $250 refurb minis.

Yeah, that's what I'm feeling. Love the retina display, but weight has always been my biggest issue with the iPad.

I can't imagine why anyone would get an iPad 2 right now when you can get a refurbished iPad 3 for less.

magicstop

Christ . . . I love my iOS devices, but this is stupid.
I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. I've had an iPad, iPad 2, and now the new iPad (can't we just say 3, Apple?).
But why on Earth would I pay this much money for a non-retina, slow-ass mini-tablet? I'm all about the ~7 form, but with an old processor, a <200 ppi screen, and a price tag of $329, no fucking thanks.
If this had been $199 or even $249, probably. But as is, no way.

Top Bottom