• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Alchemy

Depends greatly on your data usage.

An iPhone uses post-paid billing for data usage. That means that, once your monthly quota is used up, you pay based on what you use. An iPad, by contrast, typically uses prepaid billing. When you exhaust your quota, your iPad tells you that your data plan is exhausted and you have to buy another plan or wait until the next month.

To decide if it makes sense if you should keep the iPhone, determine how much data you need and compare the plans to see which is less expensive: an iPhone with a phone package, data package, and marginal data overages, or buying pre-paid blocks of data ad hoc.

Thank god for grandfathered unlimited data plans and wifi tethering on Android.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I never got to the store to preorder today. I'll just take my chances and possibly show up next Friday to buy one in person. If I don't get it day one, no big deal. I can wait. I can't wait, but I can wait. No big deal. They'll have plenty of them over time. Plus I'll be able to see the colors in person before commiting.

Apple has a Smart Cover for the mini, but will they have the back covering version too like the iPad 3? I'd really want something that won't be adding so much weight to it. I mean it's just over half a pound as it is, which is less than half of what the iPad 2 is. I'd hate to add a bunch of weight and defeat the purpose.

Zeth

I'm also considering waiting until a few days after launch to check out the colors. The black will probably win me over in person, though I'm leaning white at the moment.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm also considering waiting until a few days after launch to check out the colors. The black will probably win me over in person, though I'm leaning white at the moment.
Ditto. I really like the black back, but the white front. The back might win out though once I see it in person. Not that I ever see the back.

Shearie

Even though I really like what Apple did with the black iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, deciding which one to get is always easy for me since I always prefer white. I plan on just stopping by my local Apple store Nov. 2nd and picking up a Mini and I hope they'll have red Smart Covers in stock.

Why is my Smart Cover scheduled for delivery on Wednesday before 10:30am. Why the fuck would it not ship and arrive at the same time as the iPad. This makes things very difficult for me as I am not shipping them to my home address so now I will have to bother my friend on two different occasions. These two items not shipping together is boggling my mind.

CrankyJay

Banned
Why is my Smart Cover scheduled for delivery on Wednesday before 10:30am. Why the fuck would it not ship and arrive at the same time as the iPad. This makes things very difficult for me as I am not shipping them to my home address so now I will have to bother my friend on two different occasions. These two items not shipping together is boggling my mind.

They're most likely shipping from different locations.

BrettWeir

Can't you just use Amazon's music streaming service on the iPad (or Fire) since there is an app for it and it does the same thing as Google Music?

Not tryin to talk ya one way or another, but just to let you know (since I recently discovered this myself), there are a few nice third party Google Music Apps on the iOS AppStore. They work just the same as the stock app on Android in that you can select playlists/songs/albums to save for offline listening.

I'm interested in seeing the Fire HD 8.9 screen.

Thanks for the replies, you two.

As for Amazon's Cloud Player, I'm a Prime member and have to pay if I want to upload more than 250 songs. Google is free for my whole library (about 5,000 songs as of now).

I had no idea about the 3rd party apps on the App Store. I'll have to look into those.

Maybe I'll just use my phone (Galaxy Nexus) for the music streaming, and rooted Fire for all other Android based items, while using the iPad mini for surfing and reading. Ugh...I'd rather just consolidate to one device. If you could side-load Google Music onto the Fire HD it would solve all my woes.

God I'm spoiled.....

Fire HD 8.9, iPad Mini? iPad Mini, Fire HD 8.9? Ahhhhhh!

I'm just going to leave a note on the door that includes the tracking number and my signature, to just leave the package at the door. It might save me a trip to the local fedex office.

Alchemy

I'm just going to leave a note on the door that includes the tracking number and my signature, to just leave the package at the door. It might save me a trip to the local fedex office.

I wonder if UPS would try to deliver the cover again with the mini if you just miss the first delivery attempt.

Addnan

kinda off topic :Anyone know if there is a problem buying from Apple.com/UK at the moment? Trying to order 2 retina ipads and it keeps saying payment authorisation failed :(.

Called my bank, not a problem at their end.

Dazzla

Damn, just as I wanted to cancel my black 16GB mini and re-order a white one it has changed to "preparing to ship" so I can't cancel it! Guess I'll have to settle for black. Seemed early to prepare shipment for next Friday.

Dazzla

Would I be able to walk into an apple store and swap it for a white? Assuming they had stock of course. Or would I have to return it online?

Alchemy

Preface: I feel really stupid and fanboyish about this, even though my main computer is a Windows PC and my phone is a Droid Bionic.

Since I ordered the mini my plan is to clean up my iPad 1 and give it to my wife. First I pulled it from the Acase and washed that, and came back to the naked iPad for the first time in years to make sure it was cleaned up. It feels like an entirely different device without the case on it, something about the metal back makes it more interesting to hold. Even the fat iPad 1 feels fairly sleek without the case around it.

Now I'm really looking forward to my mini.

NYR

Would I be able to walk into an apple store and swap it for a white? Assuming they had stock of course. Or would I have to return it online?

I've had bad luck trying to return ANYTHING I bought online from Apple at the Apple store - they always tell me to go back to the online store and work with them to handle exchanges and returns. But this is Canada, might be different in the states.

I wonder if UPS would try to deliver the cover again with the mini if you just miss the first delivery attempt.

They will, but I'm not sure it's the very next day? Didn't notice the delivery was UPS, you can go to the Apple store order details and presign for delivery.

I'm not too worried about the smart cover being stolen. I can get to the box by the door by lunch.

I've had bad luck trying to return ANYTHING I bought online from Apple at the Apple store - they always tell me to go back to the online store and work with them to handle exchanges and returns. But this is Canada, might be different in the states.

Yeah you can just return in store here.

gamma

Just sold my iPad 2. Gonna be a rough week with my 4S being my only iDevice.

Was thinking about doing the same but I'm not sure it's worth it. The mini is basically a smaller iPad 2 right? While the lightness would be really cool I would want more of an upgrade like more speed and a better resolution.

Shearie

Was thinking about doing the same but I'm not sure it's worth it. The mini is basically a smaller iPad 2 right? While the lightness would be really cool I would want more of an upgrade like more speed and a better resolution.

Specs don't matter as much to me than having a more comfortable device. My iPad 2 felt plenty fast to me. Comfort is so important to me that if the iPad 4 was the same price as a Mini, I would still much rather buy the Mini.

One thing that I've noticed recently is that I'm one of the few people that I know of who actually uses the iPad as a tablet. Most people that I see with iPads have some kind of third-party case with a stand and just prop it up on a table or their lap. I hate sitting down for long periods of time so I'm constantly holding the iPad while standing and even when I'm sitting at a table I choose to hold it in my hands. The iPad 2 isn't that heavy but it still isn't at an ideal weight for long periods of use.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Preface: I feel really stupid and fanboyish about this, even though my main computer is a Windows PC and my phone is a Droid Bionic.

Since I ordered the mini my plan is to clean up my iPad 1 and give it to my wife. First I pulled it from the Acase and washed that, and came back to the naked iPad for the first time in years to make sure it was cleaned up. It feels like an entirely different device without the case on it, something about the metal back makes it more interesting to hold. Even the fat iPad 1 feels fairly sleek without the case around it.

Now I'm really looking forward to my mini.
Heh. Exact Same with me.
Forgot how good that glass and aluminum felt. So sleek.

Never went back to cases again, and after 1.5 years with iPad 2, it only had two tiny scuffs along the edges.

Fox Mulder

Heh. Exact Same with me.

Never went back to cases again, and after 1.5 years with iPad 2, it only had two tiny scuffs along the edges.

I only used a case and screen protector with the first ipad, but that's because they were included when I bought it from someone and I wanted to baby it. I quickly figured that it's designed to be used without all that shit thrown on it, and it's a better device.

My ipad 2 has been bare ass since I got it and the screen is still perfect and there's no scuffs on the back. There's only a tiny dent in the corner, which is barely noticeable.

How noticeable will the downgrade be going from an iPad 3 to a mini? I'm very interested in the smaller form factor and how much lighter the device is.

Will apps like angry birds or Lili play any differently?

Bigfoot

How noticeable will the downgrade be going from an iPad 3 to a mini? I'm very interested in the smaller form factor and how much lighter the device is.

Will apps like angry birds or Lili play any differently?
They just won't look as nice and the interface will be smaller. Shouldn't matter for most apps unless they already tried to fit too much on the iPad 3 screen. They should run just as well as the iPad 3, if not better.

Alchemy

Heh. Exact Same with me.

The iPad 1 was such a fatty that I'm not sure I would have used it as much as I did without the Acase's built in stand. I'm looking forward to the smart cover though, best of both worlds. The mini should be small enough to not have to worry about the stand but it will be there if I need it and the sleek back will be exposed regardless.

asdad123

Im assuming that Maps requires a Data connection for the GPS? Im planning on getting the mini, and it would be pretty cool if I could use it as a GPS if needed, but would I need a 4g plan active? Or would just the GPS chip be enough?

Well had one ordered. Then got into car accident yesterday backing out of a parking garage. So I will be returning the iPad.

Though its got me thinking. I really think Android and W8 are on the cusp of becoming something great. I haven't seen the same passion from apple in what seems like some time.

The galaxy note 2 looked really interesting. Hope I don't regret buying my iPhone 5.

Apath

Anyone seen Amazon's front page? Really low blow.
Why? It's standard affair to favorably compare your product to your competitors. Apple does it all the time.
Im assuming that Maps requires a Data connection for the GPS? Im planning on getting the mini, and it would be pretty cool if I could use it as a GPS if needed, but would I need a 4g plan active? Or would just the GPS chip be enough?
I'm curious about this as well. If I tether to my iPhone, would it be the same as having 3G access for the iPad?

CaLe

Argh.. Can't choose between White and Black. This has been my dilemma for the past few days.

Life changing decision, I tell you !

... Or not.

The same thing happened with the iPhone 5. I bought the black, regretted not getting the white, kept using the black and ended up loving it.

Alright, it boils down to this:

- Black is less noticeable in public, which is good in my book.
- Black is better for videos.
- White is better for browsing the web.

GAF, decide for me. Go.

They are right in a sense, but I think the important factor is not only the screen, but also the OS. I personally disliked Jelly Bean as it didn't feel as polished as iOS. And while the Nexus 7 had more PPI, it also had a very washed out screen... The colors were horrible on that thing.

NYR

lol, are you serious?

Good for them for trying to sell their product, it's effective, and true. iPad Mini is not using anything mind blowing or cutting edge when it comes to the screen.

The more good products, the better. Forces Apple's hand to put out a retina display next year...obviously.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Apple Keynote, October 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YnYKv9EeZs#t=55m3s

55:15 "Other companies have tried to make tablets smaller than the iPad, but they've failed miserably."
55:24 Nexus on Left of Screen, iPad Mini on right
55:45 "Their [bezel] is made of plastic, it's thicker, in fact the entire product is thicker and heavier... even though it has a smaller display"
56:18 "35% larger display area... That's a huge difference"
56:55 "50% larger for surfing the web... that is a gigantic difference... yet the iPad Mini is thinner and lighter"
57:40 "Customers love the applications [written for tablets]... what does the other platform have? They have phone applications stretched up, not tablet applications"
58:25 *camera cut to audience applauding shittalking the Nexus*

It's pretty inarguable that iPad (even the Mini) is a better experience than the Kindle Fire, but when your product premiere consists of, first and foremost, "Our competitors have failed miserably", it's a low blow for competitors to respond with "Actually, there's a bunch of things we're better at, and your pricing model is completely out to lunch."? Even the commercial for the iPad Mini mentions "these aren't scaled up phone apps". That's a meaningless sentence without the context that people should be aware that the competitors do have scaled up phone apps. It's a direct attack. Again, I'm not saying Amazon is "right" or that there is a "right", but it's not somehow cheating to accentuate things your product is factually better at or uniquely able to do.

If the iPad Mini had unambiguously been a best-of-breed device, there'd be less room to criticize it. If the price was competitive, there'd be less room to criticize it. Apple chose a different path. Avoiding resolution fragmentation was Apple's first priority, so they were stuck with 1024x768. They want better specs and physical construction, and because they make their margin on hardware rather than content, they chose a higher price-point. There are advantages to those decisions. There are also disadvantages.

Appleman

Yeah, I think it's pretty disingenuous if not borderline lying to say that the iPad mini has a "standard definition, low resolution display and has no HD movies or TV"

Especially when the iPad mini crams an extra 11 square inches of screen real estate into a smaller package than the Kindle Fire HD.

It's advertising though, misleading is the name of the game!

That comparison chart...

The iPad Mini is priced way too high and even though it has a slightly larger screen, the resolution is the poorest of the four. What were they thinking?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, I think it's pretty disingenuous if not borderline lying to say that the iPad mini has a "standard definition, low resolution display and has no HD movies or TV"

I think there's a credible argument to be made that TV resolutions make no sense on tablets.

But given the specific meaning for HD (IE 1280x720 or above content), the iPad Mini does not meet that resolution threshold. Even if you remove the high definition versus standard definition distinction, the remaining criticism--that KFHD has 30% more pixels--is absolutely true. And Apple has emphasized DPI when they've had the advantage, resolution when they've had the advantage, and screen size when they've had the advantage, and de-emphasized each when they have the disadvantage.

Snaku

Banned
That comparison chart...

The iPad Mini is priced way too high and even though it has a slightly larger screen, the resolution is the poorest of the four. What were they thinking?

Mini specs were finalized months before the competition stepped their game up?

Top Bottom