• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Zeth

Has Apple typically been conservative with their shipment delay estimates immediately following launch? I'm already fairly happy that I realized "2 weeks" means two weeks, not two weeks after everyone else.

Bigfoot

Why do posters in Apple threads love to say how much they sold their old devices for? On just about every page, I see a comment like "I just sold my iPad 3 for $XXX". I just never see that in any other thread for different products. In those threads, the comment is usually "I just sold my X so now I can buy Y" without a price.

Is it because Apple products are so expensive but have good resale that people think they need to tell everyone what they sold it for?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why do posters in Apple threads love to say how much they sold their old devices for? On just about every page, I see a comment like "I just sold my iPad 3 for $XXX". I just never see that in any other thread for different products. In those threads, the comment is usually "I just sold my X so now I can buy Y" without a price.

Is it because Apple products are so expensive but have good resale that people think they need to tell everyone what they sold it for?

1. People constantly ask how much they can get for their device
2. Incredibly high resale value of Apple products still shocks even jaded people like me
(Just sold my iPad 2 for $450)

Apath

I guess. I personally enjoy seeing people get a great price for selling their old hardware.

Its pretty much like reading on a monitor versus reading a real book (assuming eInk).
That sounds shitty TBH, but it's still tempting when I think about all of the utility an iPad can provide versus a Kindle. The Kindle PaperWhite is probably one of my favorite tech buys ever, but the iPad mini can provide the same basic functionality and a whole lot more..

That sounds shitty TBH, but it's still tempting when I think about all of the utility an iPad can provide versus a Kindle. The Kindle PaperWhite is probably one of my favorite tech buys ever, but the iPad mini can provide the same basic functionality and a whole lot more..
That "whole lot more" makes it so you do much less reading. You're one button away from all the usual bullshit.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
as someone who has used both extensively, you'd have trouble switching to a nex7 and feeling the same enjoyment. Take my word for it.
Twist: I've had a Nexus 7 before...from an iPad 2.

Ultimately, I decided I want a smaller form factor. I use it mainly for reading and browsing. I got a N7 and Kindle Fire HD. I couldn't take the cheap form factors (although I will admit the Nexus 7 isn't bad). I had to get an iPad after returning those devices back to the stores for the neccessary device for reading. But now my solution has been found with the iPad Mini. Why did I talk about the N7 earlier then? Price is kind of a big deal. I honestly didn't expect $329 and almost don't want to purchase it on principal, not because I can't afford it. But I don't like cutting off my nose to spite my face.

So I know on Friday I'll have a Mini in my hands.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Stll says preparing for shipment but checking UPS via reference number shows that it is on it's way.

Louisville, KY 10/30/2012 1:32 A.M. Arrival Scan
Anchorage, AK 10/29/2012 3:06 P.M. Departure Scan
---10/29/2012 12:47 P.M. Arrival Scan
Osaka, Japan 10/29/2012 10:20 P.M. Departure Scan
---10/29/2012 8:46 P.M. Arrival Scan
Shanghai, China 10/29/2012 6:30 P.M. Departure Scan
---10/29/2012 8:30 A.M. Arrival Scan
---10/29/2012 7:30 A.M. Departure Scan
---10/29/2012 3:53 A.M. Origin Scan
China 10/29/2012 8:42 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

EDIT: Oh, I used this in case anyone wants to get their tracking number early:
http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/09/your-iphone-5-may-already-have-shipped-heres-how-to-tell/

Jesus Christ, now it says my Smart Cover is going to be delivered TOMORROW before 10:30am!? What the hell! That's some gnarly shipping speed, since its last location is in Kentucky.

I wish the Apple Store wasn't down so I could check on my mini.

Al-ibn Kermit

For reading PDFS/textbooks, tablets are great. The thing I dislike about reading on laptops is that the screen is perpendicular to your notebook so taking notes of what you're reading is annoying.

But an e-ink reader is easier on the eyes so if you're reading novels it's the better option, much cheaper too.

Ordered a mini today. Black 16gb.

Only have 8gb used on my ipad 3 32gb so I figured 16 should be enough. Didnt get the 4g this time since I only used it one month on this iPad. If anything, Ill tether my phone.

Meeting someone to sell my iPad 3 for $550 tomorrow.

Ill try the free smart cover thing in a little bit lol.

edit: Blah, they said no :(

I was just going to say who the hell would buy a used iPad 3 for $50 less then the new iPad 4 days before launch

I sold my 32GB for $500 and I was happy with the $100 loss

UPS said:
The package was left in a UPS facility. / Package will be delivered next business day.
Wh...what the hell!? Stop fucking with me UPS!! I just printed and signed the slip, drove across town to my friend's house and left it on her door because as of 10 minutes ago it was on track to deliver today before 10:30am! Fucking hell!!

So to all intents and purposes this is an iPad 2, with a smaller screen?
And a better front and back camera, and a better, sharper screen, and Siri, and better WiFi, etc etc.

The guts, as in the processor etc, are essentially iPad 2 guts. But it's still much more improved than just an iPad 2 in a smaller shell. They didn't just make a smaller chasis, dump the iPad 2 innards in it, cut a smaller sheet of glass and call it a day. There's a lot of new and better tech in it.

Geekbenches started coming out tonight for iPad 4 so I presume we will find out very soon either way. Speaking of which reviews / impressions shouldn't be too far off.

asdad123

I was just going to say who the hell would buy a used iPad 3 for $50 less then the new iPad 4 days before launch

Technically, its $170 less since its the 4g version lol. Was such a waste for me.. Used the 4g only for like 2 weeks.

Bumhead

Banned
Apple have taken the money for mine. Still in Preparing to Ship.

Just pop it on the back of a UPS truck. Go on. You know you want to..

BrettWeir

So confused on what to do....

What I am looking for, is a good device to read on, surf the net, and watch movies via Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming. I honestly don't do much of anything with apps. As stated in an earlier post, I already have a Kindle Fire rooted with Jelly Bean. I just want something a little larger now. My wife has the 1st gen iPad, and I sold my Asus Transformer not to long ago....I'm not a fan of the 10" form factor at all.

**Edit: Having Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus and rooted Fire, I have no desire to have a Nexus 10.

Pros and cons for what I want:
iPad Mini
  • + Apps are far superior to Androids
  • + Aluminum body
  • + Weight
  • - 512 RAM??? Ugh
  • - Cost being higher

Kindle Fire HD 8.9
  • + Screen resolution
  • + Screen size
  • + Faster processor (which seems needed from reports regarding Carousel and the 7" Fire HD lag complaints)
  • + 1 Gig RAM
  • + Cost - I can get a 32 gig for the cost of an iPad mini
  • - Weight
  • - Plastic body
  • - Apparently the volume rockers and power button are dreadful
  • - Extra $15 to get rid of ads

mooseman

What I am looking for, is a good device to read on, surf the net, and watch movies via Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming. I honestly don't do much of anything with apps. As stated in an earlier post, I already have a Kindle Fire rooted with Jelly Bean. I just want something a little larger now. My wife has the 1st gen iPad, and I sold my Asus Transformer not to long ago....I'm not a fan of the 10" form factor at all.

**Edit: Having Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus and rooted Fire, I have no desire to have a Nexus 10.

Pros and cons for what I want:
iPad Mini
  • + Apps are far superior to Androids
  • + Aluminum body
  • + Weight
  • - 512 RAM??? Ugh
  • - Cost being higher

Kindle Fire HD 8.9
  • + Screen resolution
  • + Screen size
  • + Faster processor (which seems needed from reports regarding Carousel and the 7" Fire HD lag complaints)
  • + 1 Gig RAM
  • + Cost - I can get a 32 gig for the cost of an iPad mini
  • - Weight
  • - Plastic body
  • - Apparently the volume rockers and power button are dreadful
  • - Extra $15 to get rid of ads

I had a Kindle Fire HD for a few days and sold it. It's very laggy! The positives are movie playback was just fine and the speakers are awesome for something that small. The battery seemed to run down faster than my ipad 2 which is a big negative for me. And I will agree with the power button and volume controls being terrible.

I also have an Ipad 2 and don't notice any lag at all. I watch movies on the Amazon Instant Video app and they look fine to me. I have a nice pair of headphones I use instead of just relying on the ipad speakers.

andymcc

Banned
dumb question but here goes.

i'm sort of broke right now and i really want to get my girlfriend one of these for christmas.

are there any non-apple retail stores that are going to carry these come friday? what time do they go on sale?

i know the ipad2 was available virtually everywhere and it went onsale around 5pm...

sorry if this has been addressed before.

TheExodu5

Banned

Where are these idiots buying 32GB iPad 3s for $500? You can get a refurb for less from apple.com...

BrettWeir

I had a Kindle Fire HD for a few days and sold it. It's very laggy! The positives are movie playback was just fine and the speakers are awesome for something that small. The battery seemed to run down faster than my ipad 2 which is a big negative for me. And I will agree with the power button and volume controls being terrible.

I also have an Ipad 2 and don't notice any lag at all. I watch movies on the Amazon Instant Video app and they look fine to me. I have a nice pair of headphones I use instead of just relying on the ipad speakers.

Yeah, I wouldnt go for the standard 7" Fire HD for that exact reason (lag). The 8.9 has a faster processor than the 7", which is why I'm considering it. That, and the screen.

mooseman

Yeah, I wouldnt go for the standard 7" Fire HD for that exact reason (lag). The 8.9 has a faster processor than the 7", which is why I'm considering it. That, and the screen.

Ah ok. I missed the part where you were going for the 8.9in kindle. Sorry about that :)

On a positive note, for some odd reason, I did get $230 for my Kindle Fire HD 7in on Ebay. If you get a Fire and hate it, you might actually make money on it on Ebay.

Nevasleep

It means they pay less for their new device, and are therefore happy about it.

Appleman

What I am looking for, is a good device to read on, surf the net, and watch movies via Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming. I honestly don't do much of anything with apps.

If that's all you are doing why are you worried about the 512MB of ram? iOS is very well optimized for memory and I doubt you'd really notice it vs the KF's 1GB

Bumhead

Banned
Check the link I posted earlier to get tracking info. It has to have been shipped already.

Just tried checking but no joy. The website says they can't trace with the shipping reference provided (tried using my order number and house number to no avail), and not sure what to put as an alternative.

What did you put in that field?

TheExodu5

Banned
RAM is certainly more important in an Android device due to multitasking.

To be honest, owning an S3, multitasking is the worst aspect of Android. I need to constantly clean my memory as even browsing NeoGAF gets sluggish after a while.

Somnid

If that's all you are doing why are you worried about the 512MB of ram? iOS is very well optimized for memory and I doubt you'd really notice it vs the KF's 1GB

This would probably come in during web browsing which is usually a RAM intensive thing. General apps, videos etc. probably not as big a deal.

BrettWeir

I guess for the rare opportunity I do use an app. For instance, I've never been able to play Infinity Blade 2 on the wife's iPad. Seems to crash and lock up constantly. No idea if that is due to the older processor or RAM. Granted, I wont be able to play it at all on the Fire HD 8.9.....

Somnid

I guess for the rare opportunity I do use an app. For instance, I've never been able to play Infinity Blade 2 on the wife's iPad. Seems to crash and lock up constantly. No idea if that is due to the older processor or RAM. Granted, I wont be able to play it at all on the Fire HD 8.9.....

Infinity Blade would crash all the time on my 4th Gen Touch which was likely due to RAM. I'm pretty much soured on Epic's mobile apps as a result. It's like they never play tested it on anything other than the top of the line device.

Did anybody see the front page of Amazon calling out Apple for being overpriced and underspecced?

C1_compare-06_final._V402589423_.jpg

Lol! Mono speakers? It gets better!

Zeth

Got $400 locked in from Gazelle before the massive value drop for my 32gb wifi retina. But I'm not sure I want to get rid of it. Might end up skipping the 4th gen iPad [gasp]. Will probably sell my N7 when the Mini arrives to pay for some of it and consolidate to two tablets.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just tried checking but no joy. The website says they can't trace with the shipping reference provided (tried using my order number and house number to no avail), and not sure what to put as an alternative.

What did you put in that field?

Put my cell number with no dashes.
Should be the only number they have on file for me. Sorry it didn't work!

Technically, its $170 less since its the 4g version lol. Was such a waste for me.. Used the 4g only for like 2 weeks.

thanks for persuading me for not getting LTE. I was thinking of switching to LTE this time even though I'm around wifi most of the time I use it, just thought it would be nice to have. But I really think I'd regret spending the extra $120 plus the $10 each month

Alchemy

thanks for persuading me for not getting LTE. I was thinking of switching to LTE this time even though I'm around wifi most of the time I use it, just thought it would be nice to have. But I really think I'd regret spending the extra $120 plus the $10 each month

4G is overrated unless you travel constantly. I like it on my phone because its more of a utility device, I use it while traveling for streamed media, maps and GPS (fuck yeah Google Maps), and in a tight spot as a 4G hotspot. I usually consume local media on my iPad outside of Netflix streaming, but if you're near WiFi constantly you'll be set. Plus with harsh data caps you won't be doing much streaming over 4G anyways.

asdad123

I mean it was nice to have when I was in a place without wifi, but that only happened to be for two weeks.

I'm thinking of canceling and getting the 4g version just in case i ever need it, but i had mywi on my iphone. If I knew iOS6 is going to get Jailbroken, it'd make my decision so much easier lol. My estimated delivery date is 11/14 so if I order the 4g one ill get it around the same time.

You didn't have the Kindle Fire he referenced. He referenced the 1080p Fire with 8.9" screen (not shipping yet) which is still cheaper than the mini.

The display on the Fire is MUCH better.

dumb question but here goes.

i'm sort of broke right now and i really want to get my girlfriend one of these for christmas.

are there any non-apple retail stores that are going to carry these come friday? what time do they go on sale?

i know the ipad2 was available virtually everywhere and it went onsale around 5pm...

sorry if this has been addressed before.

Best Buy will have a limited stock of them on Friday from 8am.

Top Bottom