• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Shearie

I've only read The Verge's review so far but do any of the other reviews say anything about an option to turn off the accidental touch software thing in the OS? Similar to the way you can turn off the multitasking gestures in the settings if you want.

I've only read The Verge's review so far but do any of the other reviews say anything about an option to turn off the accidental touch software thing in the OS? Similar to the way you can turn off the multitasking gestures in the settings if you want.

No, and the way Josh worded it, it sounds like it just functions that way now as part of the OS.

Meh I admire the thoroughness of anand's reviews but do I really need a 50-page technical breakdown of an everyday device like that packed with detailed benchmarks that bear no relation to actual useability? Probably not but I guess it's good it's there for the super tech grognards.

Hell, why even do 1 page long reviews? Just tweet the reviews:

"Batt life?:12hrs=good/ feel?:good/ look?:good/ cam?:eek:k/ perf?:fast/ price?:high. Best Apple tablet yet. 9/10"

Boom, review done. I even have 30 characters extra I could put in for more details!

Goddammit I keep telling myself to wait for retina next gen, but I just know I'm going to cave...

What's the point of waiting! Resale value is incredible on apple products. Just amortize the amount of money you will "lose" by reselling it over the number of months until a next gen comes out... That's what I tell myself anyways :)

I have no interest in buying a Mini, but the reviews that I've read have all been fantastic thus far. Looks like Apple has another winner on their hands.

What's the point of waiting! Resale value is incredible on apple products. Just amortize the amount of money you will "lose" by reselling it over the number of months until a next gen comes out... That's what I tell myself anyways :)

Resale isn't that awesome, you still lose a hundred+ (ipads/macs) Phones seem to be the only decent one due to subsidies.

You're assuming the 2nd gen iPad mini will also sell for $329. I'm willing to bet that it won't.

Meh I admire the thoroughness of anand's reviews but do I really need a 50-page technical breakdown of an everyday device like that packed with detailed benchmarks that bear no relation to actual useability? Probably not but I guess it's good it's there for the super tech grognards.

For tablets and phones, no.

Macs? Absolutely. Yes.

renitou

Hell, why even do 1 page long reviews? Just tweet the reviews
Sadly already a trend.

A nice thing about waiting out an Anandtech review is that it allows time for any immediate issues (production defects, for example) to come to light beforehand, and also offers you the chance to reflect before making a knee-jerk reaction that in hindsight is no more than lusting to be the first in line for the newest of the new.

It's also just fun to see the excess of it all. :p

Zeth

Reviews aren't surprising really, but nice to see. Sounds like a beautifully designed device that does everything a full-size iPad does and remains extra portable.

geez the amount of "sheep" and "bias" comments on these tech blogs about the mini is staggering. especially on engadget, good lord. some people just cant accept someone liked something they dont..

I'm not sure what the others are doing, but when my wife ordered the Mini it kept screwing up her order, so the person online that eventually helped her out gave her the choice of two covers. She chose red and black. Not sure why they thought we'd need two, but my wife's not one to argue when offerred free stuff.

ah okay. i guess ill try just ask politely or something. if not then its all good. wont hurt to try :D

it looks really well built but I can't get over the lower res screen not just compared to the iPad 4 but it's competitors. Also the 512mb RAM and A5 is just screaming "wait till next year for the huge jump"

Shearie

No, and the way Josh worded it, it sounds like it just functions that way now as part of the OS.

There's 2 correct ways for it to be done. Either have a toggle in the settings or allow 3rd party devs to disable or configure that feature in the best way that suits their app.

Worst case scenario, it's non configurable across all apps. I can already think of some apps I like where this feature can be a problem; Pinball Arcade for example.

Juice

Man, I'm such a sucker. I own almost every single apple product and I'll be in line at my Apple store at 6am Friday.

I'm buying one on Friday to replace my wife's iPad 2. She has a new white iphone 5 but hasn't been spoiled that much by retina as me having a 3.

I'm trying to hold off. But still as they say once the revision comes out you will lose like $150 max.

Appleman

I think it's actually part of iOS 6 so if there were any problems with regular functionality people might have noticed by now.

I can hold my iPhone 5 with a full thumb on the screen and still browse with the other finger normally. Not so with my iOS 5 iPad 3

I'm buying one on Friday to replace my wife's iPad 2. She has a new white iphone 5 but hasn't been spoiled that much by retina as me having a 3.

I'm trying to hold off. But still as they say once the revision comes out you will lose like $150 max.

You're going to lose 50% of the value if you sell it today because iPad resales have gone through the roof since last weeks announcement

There's 2 correct ways for it to be done. Either have a toggle in the settings or allow 3rd party devs to disable or configure that feature in the best way that suits their app.

Worst case scenario, it's non configurable across all apps. I can already think of some apps I like where this feature can be a problem; Pinball Arcade for example.

No mention of a setting in iOS 6, so I assume it's simply an option that's part of iOS6 a dev can take advantage of or not. As has been pointed out, if it was going cause problems we would have heard already.

More reviews:

Fox

NY Times

CNET

You're going to lose 50% of the value if you sell it today because iPad resales have gone through the roof since last weeks announcement

Nah I mean selling my iPad 3 and her mini once the retina goodness comes out. I'm not sure I can go back after having the 3 since launch. I know the market is soft now but I'm sure you'll be able to offload a mini for $200 in a years time

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm definitely going to be trading the full size iPad up for the mini. It's a slight shame there's no hiDPI resolution, but this makes sooo much more sense than the ipad3. Blech, now I gotta figure out how to sell this ipad3.

I think I'm definitely going to be trading the full size iPad up for the mini. It's a slight shame there's no hiDPI resolution, but this makes sooo much more sense than the ipad3. Blech, now I gotta figure out how to sell this ipad3.

If you're in the US, I've had great success with Apple products via Amazon and/or Craigslist. Obviously you'll lose part of the sale to Amazon if you go that route.

Dazzla

One of the first sentences on Fox:

At 7.8 inches, the mini is much lighter and more portable than the original 9.7-inch iPad.

Followed by:

The 7-inch screen allows for easy thumb typing in portrait mode...
How do idiots like this get review devices? Give one to anyone here, we'll do a much better job!

I ordered an iPad mini and was slightly reluctant to ordering one.

After reading all the reviews (which were all incredibly positive)... I am no longer reluctant.

Pachimari

Can we get a list of all the reviews in one place if it's not asking too much?

I have read Engadget, The Verge and CNET's reviews. Any other I should check out?

The Verge score was surprising, considering the two issues Josh had...form and screen resolution.

For me these are two things that break the camels back, especially at the price. Yes build quality is very important, but the screen is the main component of any device.

It may be true, but it seems the Android ecosystem is used as a fall back when looking for a reason to mark down the device. The Nexus 10 will certainly be reviewed similarly.

Cheebo

Banned
The Verge score was surprising, considering the two issues Josh had...form and screen resolution.

For me these are two things that break the camels back, especially at the price. Yes build quality is very important, but the screen is the main component of any device.

It may be true, but it seems the Android ecosystem is used as a fall back when looking for a reason to mark down the device. The Nexus 10 will certainly be reviewed similarly.
It's true though, I have the Nexus 7 and there are little almost zero tablet apps. It's all stretched out phone apps. Those will look even worse on the Nexus 10 than 7.

seriously Engadget credibility is down the drain after this review because it states that the mini has better hardware then the N7. That is downright biased and lies!

Cheebo

Banned
seriously Engadget credibility is down the drain after this review because it states that the mini has better hardware then the N7. That is downright biased and lies!
I really hope you are kidding. There is a lot more to hardware than spec sheets. Apple is a lot better at utilizing their hardware than Asus is.

I don't think the price is the deal breaker to me. It's what I've come to expect from Apple. The lack of a retina display is an absolute deal breaker and it was an utter shock to me when it was announced that it wouldn't feature one.

I really hope you are kidding. There is a lot more to hardware than spec sheets. Apple is a lot better at utilizing their hardware than Asus is.

Are you kidding me? N7 has vannilla android and Google is behind the software optimisations with Jelly Bean, i think the N7 is much smoother than the 2 year old ipad 2 mini with shitty screen.

Cheebo

Banned
Are you kidding me? N7 has vannilla android and Google is behind the software optimisations with Jelly Bean, i think the N7 is much smoother than the 2 year old ipad 2 mini with shitty screen.

Haha you are nuts. I like my N7 but it is a lot more laggy than a iPad 2. Screen resolution has nothing to do with that.

All the reviews so far are claiming it is the best 7 inch tablet on the market, even with the non-retina screen. Even those who prefer Android phones like Josh at the Verge. Claiming they are liars makes you seem pretty unhinged.

Its something called balance. Apple don't just throw spec sheets at a wall and see what sticks.

You can't have something that small with a 2048-by-1536 resolution retina screen and a power hungry processor and still fit in the battery that requires to run it with no compromises. Battery tech is slow – its more about getting better power efficiency with the rest of the components.

The full sized ipad is a brick – heavy, hot, thick, with a massive battery that takes ages to charge. Even with all that surface area for components. The opposite of what this is designed to be. Its less than half the weight and 80% of the screen size

Once they move to IZGO screens and the A6X is a lower die size it will get retina.

If the Mini had a retina screen and the required processor to make it work it would completely go against everything its designed around.

Once the faster chips get down to a smaller die size and they start using the thinner, less power hungry components, it will happen. Its just not there yet without drawbacks and its would make it even more expensive then it is now.

I'm curious, for those of you who own an iPhone and an iPad, what's the use case and need for an iPad Mini to compliment those other two devices? Isn't it a bit overkill to have three devices like that?

twofold

I don't think the price is the deal breaker to me. It's what I've come to expect from Apple. The lack of a retina display is an absolute deal breaker and it was an utter shock to me when it was announced that it wouldn't feature one.

It was expected. The tech just isn't good enough yet to pull off retina in the iPad mini form factor.

I think the relatively high price of the ipad mini gives them wiggle room for next year, though. If this was a $200 tablet, I doubt we'd be seeing retina for a long while, but at $330, they have a bit of leeway to use more expensive components.

If the next model has a retina display in it, I'll be there day one for sure. For now, my ipad 3 will do me just fine.

I'm curious, for those of you who own an iPhone and an iPad, what's the use case and need for an iPad Mini to compliment those other two devices? Isn't it a bit overkill to have three devices like that?

I have an iPhone and an iPad and while I think the mini is a neat looking gadget I can't imagine buying one for myself as I don't know what I'd even use it for.

On top of that I don't see myself putting a small tablet in my pocket anytime soon and if I'm carrying it in my messenger bag I may as well stick to full sized tablets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I mostly use my ipad around the house, same with my kids and their ipad2. So size isn't really an issue. But weight might be - is the mini significantly lighter than the ipad 2/3? to the point where you can comfortably hold it in one hand?

JayDub

I have an iPhone and an iPad and while I think the mini is a neat looking gadget I can't imagine buying one for myself as I don't know what I'd even use it for.

On top of that I don't see myself putting a small tablet in my pocket anytime soon and if I'm carrying it in my messenger bag I may as well stick to full sized tablets.

Im in the other boat. Got both the iPhone and the iPad. And since using my iPad, I hate playing games or browsing on the iPhone. All that extra space makes a big difference. And I totally use the data on my iPad.

For notebooks Anand's reviews are great, but man for phones and tablets and stuff, it's super excessive.

Its way more important for tablets and phones. Technical documents, architecture overviews and performance metrics are all wildly published and easily accesible in the desktop and notebook space. In the tablet/smartphone space Anand's reviews are often the first place we learn about some very basic and fundamental details about these devices.

Bumhead

Banned
Anyones been sent yet?

You're in the UK as well, right?

Mine is still on Preparing for Shipment. Im driving myself to some sort of insanity regularly checking for updates.

If it ships from Apple today, is there a reasonable chance it will actually arrive tomorrow? My 1st gen iPad was a day early but I can't remember how far in advance the order status changed at Apples end.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
You're in the UK as well, right?

Mine is still on Preparing for Shipment. Im driving myself to some sort of insanity regularly checking for updates.

If it ships from Apple today, is there a reasonable chance it will actually arrive tomorrow? My 1st gen iPad was a day early but I can't remember how far in advance the order status changed at Apples end.

I thought they would have sent from China, but for them to leave it this late I guess they are sending overnight from their Ireland distribution place or something? It's a bit weird.

Haha you are nuts. I like my N7 but it is a lot more laggy than a iPad 2. Screen resolution has nothing to do with that.

All the reviews so far are claiming it is the best 7 inch tablet on the market, even with the non-retina screen. Even those who prefer Android phones like Josh at the Verge. Claiming they are liars makes you seem pretty unhinged.

I give up on you sheeps!! Enjoy paying for an overpriced pos!!

Top Bottom